06-27-14 05:22 AM
237 ... 45678 ...
tools
    And yet, still expected.
    Not really. That would signify the company is struggling to get on track to achieve a positive cash flow by next year.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-12-14 01:02 PM
    Not really. That would signify the company is struggling to get on track to achieve a positive cash flow by next year.
    We'll agree to disagree. There's people fired and leaving the company willingly every day. One look at LinkedIn and the level of employee changes for BlackBerry as a whole shows this. Another batch of 2,000 comes as ZERO surprise to me if true.
    06-12-14 01:21 PM
    And/or that a pretty seismic strategic shift is in the works like "We're going Android/Windows Phone" or "we're outsourcing our hardware designs" or "we're going all MDM/BBM/QNX".

At this point, if it comes, it's going to get announced at the earnings call. That's when the other "headcount reductions" announcements were made
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-12-14 03:58 PM
    4 more trading days and we will know the truth. 2000 new layoffs will be a surprise to the market, especially given JC just made a public statement that he did not foresee any additional layoffs outside those announced last year.

So yes this is potentially big news but very likely tied to another initiative that will bode well for the company.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 04:30 PM
    What?? Starting a rumor about 2000 people losing their jobs is seriously screwed up true or not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    It's not starting a rumor. It's reporting one. There's a difference.

And it is unfortunate if 2000 people are on the chopping block. Still doesn't mean that there is any grounds for a lawsuit.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-12-14 04:40 PM
    I predicted this workforce reduction and will be proven right. Continued net losses of profits lead to further slash and burn strategies up reduce investor trauma.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    06-12-14 09:31 PM
    I predicted this workforce reduction and will be proven right. Continued net losses of profits lead to further slash and burn strategies up reduce investor trauma.

i dont doubt your prediction but can you link it. I am curious to see what you based assumption on.
    06-12-14 09:37 PM
    N4BB is where psychotic fan-boys deemed too far gone for Crackberry go to bark at the moon. Have you checked out those comments??
    *low-whistle*
    Hoo-boy.

As for job cuts, I doubt that anyone that could easily go get picked up by another company is still at blackberry. That said, I do feel sorry for those still stuck there. Its got to be a miserable feeling going to work there everyday.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    JeepBB, kbz1960, milo53 and 1 others like this.
    06-13-14 01:38 AM
    So they're about to release info on how much they've earned, and some very bad rumor came out. What a coincidence.
    06-13-14 02:20 AM
    If this rumour turns out to be true and BlackBerry dumps native app development and BB10 and goes android, that will be the end for BlackBerry devices for me!

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-13-14 04:36 AM
    I really hope this rumour is not true.

06-13-14 05:58 AM
    So they're about to release info on how much they've earned, and some very bad rumor came out. What a coincidence.
    Workforce reductions are good in the eyes of investors.
    06-13-14 08:04 AM
    Maybe I'm missing your point, but it sounds like you're suggesting this is a conspiracy against BlackBerry.

06-13-14 10:39 AM
    If this rumour turns out to be true and BlackBerry dumps native app development and BB10 and goes android, that will be the end for BlackBerry devices for me!

Same here. If I was going to get a Android device I think it would be Samsung.

06-13-14 10:40 AM
    Workforce reductions are good in the eyes of investors.
    There are no "investors" in BBRY.... there are speculators looking for movement (up or down).

And while cutting cost is a good thing to do, cutting your ability for future growth is not something investors get excited about. The fat was already cut, now they are getting into the meat of some departments and divisions within the company. Been a number of post about customer service not being what it once was.... that affect growth. If true these rumor of cutting the whole App Developer department, mean an end of growth for BB10 Apps. As big as Google is they still actively recruit and support developers.... this will affect growth (again if true). Testing departments have been slashed... buggy updates, BBM, and other software.... will affect growth.

[Rumor] Another 2000 job cuts coming-justoffthetop.jpg

You can only cut so much.....
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    06-13-14 10:41 AM
    There are no "investors" in BBRY.... there are speculators looking for movement (up or down).

And while cutting cost is a good thing to do, cutting your ability for future growth is not something investors get excited about. The fat was already cut, now they are getting into the meat of some departments and divisions within the company. Been a number of post about customer service not being what it once was.... that affect growth. If true these rumor of cutting the whole App Developer department, mean an end of growth for BB10 Apps. As big as Google is they still actively recruit and support developers.... this will affect growth (again if true). Testing departments have been slashed... buggy updates, BBM, and other software.... will affect growth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Justoffthetop.jpg 
Views:	888 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	277853

You can only cut so much.....
    I have to agree. I don't see cuts as being something that will be looked up in a positive light by the market.

06-13-14 11:04 AM
    I have to agree. I don't see cuts as being something that will be looked up in a positive light by the market.

Depends. As I mentioned before, it is still a large company with significant payroll. As long as cuts are part of a well-planned restructuring, not only will it be seen positively but it *will* be positive. It will buy BBRY more time.
    06-13-14 02:18 PM
    Depends. As I mentioned before, it is still a large company with significant payroll. As long as cuts are part of a well-planned restructuring, not only will it be seen positively but it *will* be positive. It will buy BBRY more time.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Cutting an entire department making up 25% of your workforce is significant. Furthermore, I don't see BlackBerry's restructuring as being well planned at all. As an investor I look upon something like this as being a sign that they are still bleeding, badly.

I don't see it as being positive at all. I don't think the market will either. I see it as just being a way to buy more time for a company that clearly has yet found a way to stop the bleeding and it now borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

JeepBB, qwerty4ever and mornhavon like this.
    06-13-14 07:15 PM
    Seriously what has dev relations done?! I see indy devs that state they are treated poorly, big name devs/apps aren't on BB10, some of the apps that BlackBerry is doing like Facebook are horrible, and you can usually get a better Android app from SNAP than the one in BlackBerry World (Waze in BBW is garbage, but the one I got from Google via SNAP actually works and has had updates). And the device engineering group that brought us what lately? They bought Paratek and didn't invent that tech in their own and that is the only real advance I see in any BB10 device compared to other hardware out there.

Seriously BlackBerry can just go the Foxconn route for all their devices, have a minimal engineering team to do the design and then outsource the device to Foxconn and probably be much more cost effective than what they have done to this point, and likely be higher quality too. Android app support has gotten me more apps since 10.2.1 released in the US than BBW got me before that.

BB10 will be a secure, communications based OS that runs Android apps. This is where they have been heading since the Bb10 launch failure. They will partner with someone for an official App store solution, maybe call it BBW still but it will be someone else running it and providing content, and the experience to the BB10 user will be better than what we have had so far, and without having to side load.

BlackBerry has tried to be a complete, self contained solution and failed. They must now try to be the best possible while keeping BB10 as their OS. Switching to Android as the OS is not a solution because to secure it is not easy or cheap, or it would have been done by many now to grab that market.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-14-14 06:52 AM
    BB10 will be a secure, communications based OS that runs Android apps. This is where they have been heading since the Bb10 launch failure. They will partner with someone for an official App store solution, maybe call it BBW still but it will be someone else running it and providing content, and the experience to the BB10 user will be better than what we have had so far, and without having to side load.
    I very much doubt that will ever happen. I can't see Google having any reason to allow it.

06-14-14 03:49 PM
    I very much doubt that will ever happen. I can't see Google having any reason to allow it.

I can think of one reason: patents.
    06-14-14 04:08 PM
    I can think of one reason: patents.
    The same patents that nobody wanted when BlackBerry explored selling the company?

Even if Google was interested in the patents what would BlackBerry do? Trade their patents for access to Google Play? Might as well just close BlackBerry altogether then.

JeepBB likes this.
    06-14-14 04:18 PM
    i dont doubt your prediction but can you link it. I am curious to see what you based assumption on.
    I wish I could find the message but I think it was part of a posting that got me in trouble and was removed. As for my assumption it was based on a variety of factors which unfortunately have come to pass in the aftermath of Thorsten's house cleaning and John's strategic reorganisation of priorities. Maybe one day the company will hire and grow but not this year.

06-14-14 10:27 PM
    At 8000 employees BBRY is still fat by tech standards (emloyee/revenue basis).

If the 2000 person cut is commensurate with an app gap solution, the market will love it.

JC knows exactly where this company needs to be and he is taking us there.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 10:34 PM
    At 8000 employees BBRY is still fat by tech standards (employee/revenue basis).

If the 2000 person cut is commensurate with an app gap solution, the market will love it.
    That's kind of what I alluded to earlier. While the human aspect sucks, Chen would look like a hero to Wall Street if he can trim BlackBerry's headcount by another 25%.
    06-15-14 12:45 AM
237 ... 45678 ...