06-27-14 05:22 AM
237 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Ask yourself this: what accomplishments have Developer Relations delivered in the last 6 months? How many important, native apps have shown up in BB World? How many new partnerships with big developers have been announced?

It's one thing to have all of these people if they are busy getting things accomplished, but if they aren't, why have them?
    Same here... when I read this I was surprised that there were 2000 people working on BlackBerry apps... not only fire them but sue them, follow them and... whatever... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 02:21 AM
    Same here... when I read this I was surprised that there were 2000 people working on BlackBerry apps... not only fire them but sue them, follow them and... whatever... ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Developer Relations team is (supposedly) part of the 2000 total. There is no way to evaluate its size using the original forum posting on Topic: Not going to make this an official post | N4BB

This is the original post:

Just a heads up…

We’ve heard whispers and pretty much have confirmed there is another 2,000 job cut to be in effect. The entire Developer Relations team (including Marty Mallick) will be let go, and parts of engineering.

Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?

Whatever the case, it’s definitely unfortunate, but may mean a more streamlined company and an achieved end game for Chen.

Sad to see friends and acquaintances leave the company we all love. Hopefully, it only make for a brighter future for the company as a whole.

On the other hand, I don't believe the rumor is true.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    Last edited by serbanescu; 06-12-14 at 03:57 AM.
    06-12-14 02:47 AM
    Chen has said on multiple occasions that he sees BB's future in enterprise and services... He's also stated that unless hardware earns its keep, it's toast.

I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding.

If this news is true, then BB have effectively given up on native BB10 development... Just as well 98% of Android Apps work flawlessly under the BB10 runtime... Oh, wait...
    People whined for lack of app, Berry introduced Androids ports, "we" welcomed it, now I see no need for app development team. Sigh

Z10 10.2.1.3175
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-12-14 04:02 AM
    N4BB ready to get sued?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Sued by who? For what?

Saying things that are negative about BlackBerry isn't something you can cause for a lawsuit.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-12-14 05:29 AM
    While I agree with you that Dev Relations is very hard to do but it's something that can't be done in isolation.
    Agree, and that's ultimately likely what is holding Marty and the team back in many respects. There's only so much $$$$ they've probably been given to spend and it's a hard sell to get devs to write apps when there isn't a massive userbase.
    If Microsoft is offering to pay 1st and 2nd string companies to bring their app over ... and then fund the development, but is still getting met with some apathy; BlackBerry is going to have it harder.

For the dev relations suggestions, for some reason I thought they offered both at sometime. Could be misunderstanding or misremembering though.

Agree that improvements to the program are great, but in honesty, they likely won't move the needle at getting BlackBerry to 250,000 native apps or more (still far short of Apple, but on par with Microsoft) or fill in the void for the missing biggie apps.

Only thing that will do that is a) a userbase; and b) a lot of cash to provide incentives, actual development work etc.
    06-12-14 06:14 AM
    Good question...
    This move would bring down their workforce from approx. 8000 in March 2014 to about 6000 - does anyone have the exact numbers?
    Why developer relations and engineering? I begin to wonder how big RIM really was some time ago...
    RIM must have been a "Big White Elephant".
    06-12-14 06:19 AM
    We should also not forget that even if jobs cuts are bad, they are necessary so the company reduces their expenses and keep making money, or in this case, reduce their cash burn.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Yes, however, a 25% cut that includes an entire department doesn't sound very good. Especially this department.

If it's true I would be deeply concerned.

06-12-14 06:51 AM
    Then a few days ago JC said they might build a phablet so stop the whole "I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding" stuff.

JC is all over the place. Making it up as he goes.
    Solutions are easy when you're on the outside looking in....
    Irish Blues likes this.
    06-12-14 06:59 AM
    People whined for lack of app, Berry introduced Androids ports, "we" welcomed it, now I see no need for app development team. Sigh

Z10 10.2.1.3175
    So how easy is it for enterprise managers to include Android Apps in BES10?

For a small percentage of users the ability to install SOME Android Apps is enough. But until BlackBerry either comes up with an official means of getting and distributing those apps, or goes full Android. The average consumer and even some business that need industry specific apps, aren't going to touch BlackBerry.
    kbz1960, Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    06-12-14 07:42 AM
    Sued by who? For what?

Saying things that are negative about BlackBerry isn't something you can cause for a lawsuit.

What?? Starting a rumor about 2000 people losing their jobs is seriously screwed up true or not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-12-14 10:34 AM
    What?? Starting a rumor about 2000 people losing their jobs is seriously screwed up true or not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    If it's true it is not a rumor.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 10:45 AM
    So how easy is it for enterprise managers to include Android Apps in BES10?

For a small percentage of users the ability to install SOME Android Apps is enough. But until BlackBerry either comes up with an official means of getting and distributing those apps, or goes full Android. The average consumer and even some business that need industry specific apps, aren't going to touch BlackBerry.
    I think that this is just going to be a matter of time, rather than will they / won't they.

From a few posts in the BES 10 admin section of this forum we can see that big enterprises with access to BlackBerry are asking for this, at some point the business app gap / competition from iOS 8 / Enterprises shouting at BlackBerry will probably mean that the Android runtime becomes available in some shape or form on the work side of their devices (I'd love this to happen, securely, so I can then use the Android SpiceWorks app etc).
    06-12-14 11:13 AM
    Even if it's not true, the law won't become involved.

Here in the UK we don't have laws declaring "Starting seriously screwed up rumors" illegal... maybe Canadian law is different?
    06-12-14 11:33 AM
    It's odd - everytime we get a BBRY is going to layoff 200 people rumours - they are wrong, when we hear "they are going to layoff 2000", they are generally right...
    06-12-14 11:38 AM
    WOW! They hire 2000 people just for relations with dev's. I know job cuts suck but this seems extreme and is a much needed cut. BB is not apple so it doesn't need that many people for relations with developers. maybe 100 max. Apple probably has 15,000 dev relationship ppl.

Good news is these people can find jobs at apple / samsung pretty easily.
    06-12-14 12:12 PM
    Even if it's not true, the law won't become involved.

Here in the UK we don't have laws declaring "Starting seriously screwed up rumors" illegal... maybe Canadian law is different?
    Actually, in the UK, there are very harsh libel and slander laws. For this reason, many books that are published in the US are not published in the UK.

So, depending on what false rumor you start in the UK, you very well could be liable.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-12-14 12:18 PM
    What bothers me is CrackBerry appears to be doing nothing to verify or dispel that rumour.
    06-12-14 12:32 PM
    Crackberry doesn't break much BlackBerry news anymore. I miss the days when it did.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and allengeorge like this.
    06-12-14 12:35 PM
    What bothers me is CrackBerry appears to be doing nothing to verify or dispel that rumour.
    And they would know how? Who else has confirmed or denied it?
    06-12-14 12:39 PM
    And they would know how? Who else has confirmed or denied it?
    Exactly. They should be on it. Don't they have contacts in Waterloo?
    06-12-14 12:45 PM
    Honestly what's the point? Another 2,000 people being laid off shouldn't be news. Aside from the human factor of it all, at this point it's pretty much expected. Personally, I stopped writing about it long ago because I know how it affects people. It makes the ones who lost their job feel terrible and makes the people who still have their job nervous and walk on egg shells.

Thousands of people have lost their jobs, some of them aren't just names at a company. Some of them hit real close to home. I've had family members lose their jobs, I've had close personal friends lose their jobs and for some of them, it was all they had to rely on. I don't even work for BlackBerry and you have no idea how often I get asked "Are you alright, are you gonna make it through this?" as if my head is on the chopping block.
    Gatmyer likes this.
    06-12-14 12:47 PM
    Actually, in the UK, there are very harsh libel and slander laws. For this reason, many books that are published in the US are not published in the UK.

So, depending on what false rumor you start in the UK, you very well could be liable.

Posted via CB10
    That's true, but I believe there's the concept of reputational damage implicit in all successful actions.

Saying Mr X is a crook who has siphoned off the pension fund to pay for his fleet of mistresses is, unless you can prove it to be true, very likely to see you in hot water.

I'd be very surprised though if any journalist or blogger posting that they'd heard rumours of losses, redundancies or takeovers involving company X would lead to trouble. If that were the case, half of the writers in the business sections of most newspapers would be being sued on a daily basis.
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-12-14 12:52 PM
    Honestly what's the point? Another 2,000 people being laid off shouldn't be news. Aside from the human factor of it all, at this point it's pretty much expected. Personally, I stopped writing about it long ago because I know how it affects people. It makes the ones who lost their job feel terrible and makes the people who still have their job nervous.
    I thought the layoffs that commenced under Thorsten Heins were supposed to be completed by May 2014. If that's the case, this would be a new development which would be a pretty big deal.
    06-12-14 12:53 PM
    I thought the layoffs that commenced under Thorsten Heins were supposed to be completed by May 2014. If that's the case, this would be a new development which would be a pretty big deal.
    And yet, still expected.
    06-12-14 12:54 PM
    Indeed, these were definitely presented as a new wave of redundancies, which is a big deal in itself. Added to that is the departments affected, Dev Relations and parts of Engineering. If this is true, I see it as a very big deal.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-12-14 12:58 PM
237 ... 34567 ...