06-27-14 05:22 AM
237 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I am somewhat sceptical of this because John Chen has been asked straight up a number of times in interviews recently if there are more layoffs coming and he has essentially said we can't cut our way to growth. Plus this is in the 30 day quiet period before an earnings release so anyone who has given an outsider information of a definitely market moving nature has committed a crime, not just violated their employment terms.
    There is no mandated quiet period at all unless a company has filed to issue new stock as in an IPO or stock offering. Many companies have a quiet period before earnings but that is not required.

So, no crime committed.

Plus, a fired employee can say whatever he wants as long as he is contractually permitted to. Many companies offer severance to keep fired employees quiet.

Assuming this is really insider information, it is only illegal to trade based on it while it remains non-public.

As usual, people here jump to false conclusions.

N4BB has good info and this is probably true. I'm surprised that Marty Mallick got that job considering that he did not really produce any tangible results. It seems he was just a placeholder until BlackBerry struck the deal that it was seeking.

My thought on hearing this news is that BlackBerry is outsourcing App World to someone and that BlackBerry is plowing ahead with an Android-based app fix. 10.3 Android runtime is good but it still needs work for it to be like a real native experience in many cases.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Rolf Hed like this.
    06-11-14 07:21 PM
    It is possible. They have half-android hack already on it.
    06-11-14 07:23 PM
    Even if it is, I would still let Mallick go. :P John Chen should bring another good guy of his crew to replace him.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    I agree totally!
    06-11-14 07:29 PM
    You realize Marty Mallick also went to QNX right? He may lose one appointed position at BlackBerry but chances are he'd retain the QNX one. - QNX Software Systems launches new Cloud business | CrackBerry.com

Oops... misread.
    06-11-14 07:30 PM
    Lucas, over at N4BB, just posted the following:

We've heard whispers and pretty much have confirmed there is another 2,000 job cut to be in effect. The entire Developer Relations team (including Marty Mallick) will be let go, and parts of engineering.

Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?

Whatever the case, it's definitely unfortunate, but may mean a more streamlined company and an achieved end game for Chen.

Sad to see friends and acquaintances leave the company we all love. Hopefully, it only make for a brighter future for the company as a whole.
    You know 2k just sounds like way too many people. If you laid off that many people, you'd have another loss of at least 350 million. Even if the stock market liked the idea on face value, every android manufacturer besides samsung doesn't make that much money. I think amazon or Microsoft would be a good choice to partner with in regards to an App Store because they would put up tons of cash just to get another 1% of market share.

Either way, 2k is insane. If this were true, it would be absolutely crazy because you have tons of devs you could put on bes12 or bb10 improve for android compatibility. Instead, this rumor sounds like they'd prefer to pay severance for 2k employees and then pay people to do code for them. The only way this could work is after 10.3
    06-11-14 07:30 PM
    That is why I mentioned Python exclusively. It is already there, let's make it official.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:05 PM
    You realize Marty Mallick also went to QNX right? He may lose one appointed position at BlackBerry but chances are he'd retain the QNX one. - QNX Software Systems launches new Cloud business | CrackBerry.com
    I think you are misreading this. He never went to QNX.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:10 PM
    Any legitimate computer science program teaches C/C++

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    As the name of the program states, it teaches the science of computation. Programming languages have nothing to do with it.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:12 PM
    When did he go to QNX? I know Alec Saunders did.
    06-11-14 08:31 PM
    2000 jobs what the..

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-11-14 08:51 PM
    Sorry, but this.

Pull your weight or leave. That's capitalism.
    I can appreciate the frustration, but I don't think it's as simple as "The developer relations team sitting around playing solitare all day".In fact, I challenge anyone on CrackBerry to come up with a real developer relations strategy to fill the app gap that has more substance than "spend money" or "do whatever it takes" or "get better people".. It's got to be a brutal job with more disappointment than most can possibly imagine.

In one of the recent Mobile Nations Podcasts on Microsoft really hit this point home when Daniel talked about the challenges Microsoft faces. they have the best developer relations in the world and they are throwing money hand over fist to fill the app store and even they have tons of disappointments. Daniel gave examples of them paying companies to bring apps to Windows Phone, paying for the development and then asking the companies to just take it over. Some companies let the apps lie fallow and never update. Dunkin Donuts just outright said no, "Even if you pay us and pay for the development of the app, we don't want to have to maintain it, so too bad".

If you aren't iPhone or Android right now, I don't know how to grow your ecosystem and be positive unless you look at it literally one victory at a time.
    06-11-14 08:52 PM
    Alec Saunders went to QNX, while Marty Mallick took over developer relation department completely and subsumed Alec's role in addition to his own role.
    06-11-14 08:57 PM
    I can appreciate the frustration, but I don't think it's as simple as "The developer relations team sitting around playing solitare all day".In fact, I challenge anyone on CrackBerry to come up with a real developer relations strategy to fill the app gap that has more substance than "spend money" or "do whatever it takes" or "get better people".. It's got to be a brutal job with more disappointment than most can possibly imagine.

In one of the recent Mobile Nations Podcasts on Microsoft really hit this point home when Daniel talked about the challenges Microsoft faces. they have the best developer relations in the world and they are throwing money hand over fist to fill the app store and even they have tons of disappointments. Daniel gave examples of them paying companies to bring apps to Windows Phone, paying for the development and then asking the companies to just take it over. Some companies let the apps lie fallow and never update. Dunkin Donuts just outright said no, "Even if you pay us and pay for the development of the app, we don't want to have to maintain it, so too bad".

If you aren't iPhone or Android right now, I don't know how to grow your ecosystem and be positive unless you look at it literally one victory at a time.
    Couldn't agree more. Software development process is hard and it is only getting harder every day. If the incentive is simply not there, it is not worth doing. The incentive being wide audience plus good money if possible. Right now, there are only two platforms that can provide such incentive: iOS and Android.
    web99 likes this.
    06-11-14 09:02 PM
    CAN'T believe I read four pages about a rumor
    06-11-14 09:29 PM
    Don't get me wrong; I don't at all believe that those folks are sitting around doing nothing all day. I'm sure they are working as hard as they can. But this is business, and BB is in survival mode, and no matter how hard they are working, if they aren't actually achieving anything through that work, then there's no reason to continue doing it, or funding it.

No matter how hard you work at building a flyable airplane out of stone, you aren't likely to be successful at getting it to fly, and throwing more money and manpower at the problem won't change that fundamental truth.

Every day, businesses work very, very hard to bring products or services to market that just don't pan out, and those companies (or divisions) get cut sooner or later, or the company itself goes bankrupt because it can't make the tough decision to cut their losses.

For now, this is all still just a rumor, and may be bogus, but it's not exactly a rumor that's difficult to believe given the situation. I don't envy Developer Relations' near-impossible task, but that doesn't mean that business rules stop applying to them. In business, results matter, intentions and hard work alone do not.
    serbanescu, JeepBB and mornhavon like this.
    06-11-14 09:46 PM
    Um....as a native developer I can say this effectively occurred already around December 2013. BlackBerry support of native devs has been completely non existent since then.....so these people must be drawing a pay check to eat bonbons all ******* day

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 09:55 PM
    But this is business, and BB is in survival mode, and no matter how hard they are working, if they aren't actually achieving anything through that work, then there's no reason to continue doing it, or funding it.
    We agree. As much as I hate to admit it, there's a real possibility that BlackBerry will just have to throw in the towel or severely curtail the amount of effort in this area. Just not liking the notion that they sit around because I'm highly skeptical that most people could be put in and do a better job suddenly filling the app void right now.
    06-11-14 10:11 PM
    While I agree with you that Dev Relations is very hard to do but it's something that can't be done in isolation. Some strategy decision need to be taken to support developer relations. For example, I imagine (and I created a thread about this earlier - http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ssor-937971/): if BlackBerry priced their high-end handsets reasonably (say, $500 or less) AND AND AND offered $200 or so trade-up discount to legacy BB owners, BlackBerry could easily move millions of devices.

Let BlackBerry Curve user upgrade to a high-end BlackBerry 10 device for $300 or so (retail price $500 or so, trade-up discount $200, net = $300) and see how many millions of devices you move!!! Once you get that -- Dev Relations can go all out and publish stats "X millions of users coming to BB 10 platform every month".. "fastest growing platform" and so on.. and this will attract app-developers!!

Secondly, Dev Relations is missing some obvious things. For example, if you Google Android Design Template or iOS design template, you find MANY MANY graphic design templates (psd files for app layout, theme, buttons etc) that developers can use to create BEAUTIFUL looking apps. Nothing for BlackBerry 10. This void could have been filled by BlackBerry. They could have created (say, 25) beautiful app layout (themes with source files for everything you require button, images, clipart, layout for different screen sizes etc) and helped app developers get started.

Dev Relations could start a dedicated service - where Android app owners can submit their Android app and pay a small fee (say, $25 for assessment/compatibility check, $125 for conversion) and get BlackBerry team to convert their app to BB 10 platform. Of course, app-developers can do it themselves too but if Dev Relations offered a free (or even paid but reasonably priced) conversion service, it'd have been awesome!
    FR33MAN likes this.
    06-11-14 11:40 PM
    Chen has said on multiple occasions that he sees BB's future in enterprise and services... He's also stated that unless hardware earns its keep, it's toast.
    And then turns around and says they might need a phablet to achieve growth...
    06-12-14 12:10 AM
    And then turns around and says they might need a phablet to achieve growth...
    Chen is indirectly saying that Z3 was a success and the company needs more cheaper cost phablet smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 12:17 AM
    Blackberry must be a fun place to work.
    JeepBB and Berry_Pink like this.
    06-12-14 12:23 AM
    I think you are misreading this. He never went to QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Ahh, ya. You're right. My bad. I'll go sacrifice some iPhones and Android devices for my misinformation lol.
    06-12-14 12:42 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 01:12 AM
    Sadly, I'm pretty sure that the native BB runtime is not long for this world. Chen's "no comment" wrt. to Android phones is another sign. My guess is that they'll put Android apps in a container sitting on top of QNX and play the security angle.
    06-12-14 01:38 AM
    Whenever I read or hear "pretty much confirmed" in relation to such a sensible topic like job cuts, it makes me angry on so many levels...
    Even if the statement/post might bear little relation to the reality, it's kinda like bringing a whole bunch of people on the gallows (being the forum/web with people posting, not really having any insight at all, but at least giving (non) constructive feedback).
    Really looking forward to next week...
    06-12-14 02:00 AM
237 ... 23456 ...