06-27-14 05:22 AM
237 12345 ...
tools
    They already did all if that. You think a second round will work any better?
    Too be honest it needs to be a constant process.

But they also need to go after some developers of really popular or niche apps and offer to help the or even pay them a "finders fee" to bring their app to BlackBerry. I have yet to hear any developer say that BlackBerry contacted me and asked.....

For big apps like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Netflix... BlackBerry should have offered to build and support those apps!

But at this point, it will be very hard to do any of this. By the end of the year there will be maybe 10 million BB10 devices out there with possible 6 million unique users (or BlackBerry collectors). Still enough for some small developers - it's not the simple apps from small developers that most people are turning to android for.....
    06-11-14 02:13 PM
    How many quarters in a row can they continue until no one is left? Then how do they cut costs? Easy, won't be any.
    No idea if the rumor is true but even after such a cut 6000 is a *big* company.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-11-14 02:27 PM
    Hi guys. This round is in fact a part of the projected cuts announced months ago. It's unfortunate, however this isn't "new"news or market manipulation.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and Jake2826 like this.
    06-11-14 02:35 PM
    They already did all if that. You think a second round will work any better?
    It was done LAST year with the release of BB10. It has been a whole year later and a lot has changed. This should be a continuous program, not a one time thing. Wouldn't you think that a mobile eco system would always want developers? You need to always have new developers coming in to support the system. Right now, you only have old developers slowly leaving...
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-11-14 02:38 PM
    If developer relations as a single THING to do with QNX development (Internet of Things) then there's no way the Dev Relations team would be axed.
    06-11-14 04:33 PM
    I don't care if the King of the world said there would be no more cuts. Things change, ish happens and minds are changed all the time.
    I don't care if you don't care but no one changes his mind in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks, unless BlackBerry got robbed last night and they wanna make up the cash they lost!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 04:50 PM
    Being that this will seemingly affect the next quarters numbers, it is possible that since the end of the quarter in May that same things might have changed
    06-11-14 04:53 PM
    How about these two possibilities:

1. BBRY signs Google Play and gets official access to entire catalogue. 10.3 is deemed to run Android apps well enough and the app issues is resolved.
    2. As above and BBRY trials an Android phone (which they used to negotiate Google Play access for BB10 devices).

Market would love this news.
    ptpete likes this.
    06-11-14 05:25 PM
    I hate to see anyone loose their jobs but unfortunately that's part of the restructuring process and as much as it hurts, it's the sad reality in the modern corporate world.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    wincyUt likes this.
    06-11-14 05:34 PM

1. BBRY signs Google Play and gets official access to entire catalogue. 10.3 is deemed to run Android apps well enough and the app issues is resolved.
    2. As above and BBRY trials an Android phone (which they used to negotiate Google Play access for BB10 devices).

Google play access isnt that easy to get since you cant have a "forked" version. That is why amazon doesnt have access to play store
    mornhavon and rthonpm like this.
    06-11-14 05:36 PM
    I cannot help but notice that BlackBerry has been wasting money on developer relations for a while now.

I'm not sure why they think C/C++ / JavaScript are good languages to attract developers. Instead of wasting money on developer relations, I believe that they should officially support Python. Most schools nowadays do not teach C/C++

I also cannot help but notice the utter lack of resources for people to start mobile development with BlackBerry 10. How many books are written for development on BlackBerry 10? 1? 2?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 05:40 PM
    Right. So secure Google Play and unload 1/4 of your workforce. Win-win for the companies involved. A loss for those gainfully employed.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:01 PM
    I cannot help but notice that BlackBerry has been wasting money on developer relations for a while now.

I'm not sure why they think C/C++ / JavaScript are good languages to attract developers. Instead of wasting money on developer relations, I believe that they should officially support Python. Most schools nowadays do not teach C/C++

I also cannot help but notice the utter lack of resources for people to start mobile development with BlackBerry 10. How many books are written for development on BlackBerry 10? 1? 2?

Posted via CB10
    Lol funny. Apparently you didn't bother looking at the developer resources... and also funny that you think they don't teach C and C++ anymore when they are very much in demand as is Java.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    06-11-14 06:05 PM
    Community colleges teach C++ and universities mostly teach Java. ALL schools teach C (usu. as a senior course) before students graduate. It is a very iconic and relevant programming language to this day and is the backbone of every major OS.

Few colleges cover Python even as an elective. It is a very high level programming language not so useful for instruction of general concepts.
    06-11-14 06:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    There actually is a Python runtime on the device (3.2 IIRC), but it's rarely used or known about.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:14 PM
    Not all schools teach C/C++ which is an absolute shame.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:16 PM
    Not all schools teach C/C++ which is an absolute shame.
    Posted via CB10
    Any legitimate computer science program teaches C/C++

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    r0v3rT3N, walt63, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    06-11-14 06:22 PM
    Any legitimate computer science program teaches C/C++

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    C/C++ are still some of the top used languages, in addition to Java (unfortunately) due to how popular they are, well, everywhere...

Sources for above statement: http://langpop.com/
    http://www.eweek.com/developer/slide...-in-2014.html/
    https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-programming-language/
    http://mashable.com/2014/01/21/learn...ing-languages/
    http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/conte...pci/index.html

Also, in relation to this story. This is really, really sad. A lot of these people are great, and this (if true) sucks so much. :/
    Gerii likes this.
    06-11-14 06:38 PM
    Kind of sick of N4BB making up BS then posting on CB forums. Isn't there a take out the troll trash thread??? If that's the case the should post it on their damn page. Gutless.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:39 PM
    I didn't think any employees existed as it was.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3175 / T-Mobile USA
    06-11-14 06:42 PM
    Kind of sick of N4BB making up BS then posting on CB forums. Isn't there a take out the troll trash thread??? If that's the case the should post it on their damn page. Gutless.
    I missed it... where did N4BB post it on the CB forums? From what has been shown in this thread, is that they posted it on their own site and even took steps to point out that it's "Not an official post".

Are you saying CB should moderate the N4BB site as well? Because it's the N4BB forum that it was posted. No trolling going on here.
    JeepBB and Berry_Pink like this.
    06-11-14 06:45 PM
    C/C++ are still some of the top used languages, in addition to Java (unfortunately) due to how popular they are, well, everywhere...

Sources for above statement: Programming Language Popularity
    Top 10 Programming Languages for Job Seekers in 2014
    https://www.udemy.com/blog/best-programming-language/
    10 Programming Languages You Should Learn in 2014
    TIOBE Software: The Coding Standards Company

Also, in relation to this story. This is really, really sad. A lot of these people are great, and this (if true) sucks so much. :/
    Around the Los Angeles area, I would describe C# as the most sought after. In the Bay Area, Java is popular. I see C as the third most commonly requested language. Few employers ask for C++ so its a mystery why it's being taught everywhere merely for the sake of an object oriented, simplified C. It's a shame more colleges don't cover C# given its popularity but it's kind of a Microsoft programming language.
    06-11-14 06:57 PM

Either of these would be the smart thing for a company bleeding cash and sales and spiraling downward quickly like Blackberry. Solves the App Gap and saves enormous development costs immediately.
    06-11-14 07:03 PM
    I have my own opinions of Java, however. (Yuck.)
    +1

I have similar sentiments towards python as well (though I'd grudgingly admit to consider using it if I were working on a Web Application project).
    06-11-14 07:06 PM
    No comment.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-11-14 07:16 PM
237 12345 ...