06-27-14 05:22 AM
237 1234 ...
tools
    Yes, indeed. At this point it's rumor anyway but if they are cutting those departments it doesn't look good for any native development.
    That's the thing, it's not the cuts, but what they are cutting. This doesn't align with what Chen said about possibly creating a phablet if the market demands it. A phablet for what? The native apps that won't be built for it? The market will also demand apps for this phablet.
    kbz1960 and FairlightRacing like this.
    06-11-14 10:54 AM
    There's that many people in developer relations? What the hell have they been doing? Also important to note that Mary Mallick recently got a new position in BlackBerry, although I think he did a very poor job and should be let go ASAP: Introducing Marty Mallick: BlackBerry’s New VP of Global Alliances and Ecosystems | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    Good point, this is starting to smell more like market manipulation by the second.
    06-11-14 11:00 AM
    N4BB ready to get sued?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Thesmartmale and web99 like this.
    06-11-14 11:06 AM
    Historically BBRY/ RIM kept middle management in-place and untouched and even promoted those know nothings to higher positions - - all while showing no loyalty to any of it's staff (engineers, programmers, compilers, etc..). Since Chen has come in he has been willing to cut from the top down - a much better and much needed change. The idea that they would cut this deep following an earnings call, and from these departments would essentially tell the market that BB is readying to shutter its doors and would lead to a massive shareholder suit based on Chen's statements over the last month. N4bb is almost always right, but I wonder if they are being used here.

On the plus side, if employees think they are on the way out, maybe some leaks will flow.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-11-14 11:08 AM
    First the "no comment" of Chen about building Android phones. Now the rumor about cutting the department who is taking care of develop more native apps.. I do not like the direction this is going..

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-11-14 11:11 AM
    Ask yourself this: what accomplishments have Developer Relations delivered in the last 6 months? How many important, native apps have shown up in BB World? How many new partnerships with big developers have been announced?

It's one thing to have all of these people if they are busy getting things accomplished, but if they aren't, why have them?
    06-11-14 11:12 AM
    Ask yourself this: what accomplishments have Developer Relations delivered in the last 6 months? How many important, native apps have shown up in BB World? How many new partnerships with big developers have been announced?

It's one thing to have all of these people if they are busy getting things accomplished, but if they aren't, why have them?
    Sorry, but this.

Pull your weight or leave. That's capitalism.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and garrett1972 like this.
    06-11-14 11:14 AM
    Hmmm... given that their roadmap ends in June. It doesn't look good.

Release road map - BlackBerry Native
    Release road map - HTML5/WebWorks for BB10 - BlackBerry Developer

After Alec changed position... it has been kind of quiet in the Dev Relations area. There have been good work but otherwise, they need to have a clearer vision on what they are trying to achieve. They need to create the excitement they had when BB10 first got released (contests, promotions, dev programs) with better quality control. Right now it is pretty much crickets.
    06-11-14 11:24 AM
    I would love to see this post to get reviewed by KEVIN...

Q10<<Z10<<9900<<9780<<8520
    06-11-14 11:26 AM

Hard to argue that.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 11:49 AM
    Hmmm... given that their roadmap ends in June. It doesn't look good.

Release road map - BlackBerry Native
    Release road map - HTML5/WebWorks for BB10 - BlackBerry Developer

After Alec changed position... it has been kind of quiet in the Dev Relations area. There have been good work but otherwise, they need to have a clearer vision on what they are trying to achieve. They need to create the excitement they had when BB10 first got released (contests, promotions, dev programs) with better quality control. Right now it is pretty much crickets.
    And they did that before. Throw away more $$?
    06-11-14 11:50 AM
    Blackberry lost ZTE gain.....

Z10..yes it can!
    06-11-14 11:52 AM
    Seeing as this was a single person's "secret" forum post and not news, I doubt it has any merit.
    acovey likes this.
    06-11-14 11:54 AM
    There will be NO MORE cuts, Chen himself confirmed that.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 12:13 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?
    I think at least some native apps are an absolute necessity for every platform. An Android runtime cannot make up for the performance and stability of using apps on actual Android and a platform without native applications simply doesn't make sense in this day and age.

If the rumor proves true, to me this indicates that either
    1/ Blackberry has gone Android
    2/ Blackberry has gotten out of handsets
    3/ Blackberry sold BB10 to Foxconn (or some other company)

Of course, there is a high probability it may be false. N4BB has been wrong many times in the past.

Seeing as this was a single person's "secret" forum post and not news, I doubt it has any merit.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into the rumor; but, some anonymous forum posts have been true in the past, esp. when the rumor isn't something absolutely insane like 'Google Play on BB10'.

This rumor doesn't appear to be too controversial so there is less incentive for the forum member to make up this particular lie. Blackberry has had many layoffs in the past and many layoff rumors originating from forums have turned out to be true.

(So my position isn't absolutely NO merit but like 50/50 chance of parts of the rumor being true. Maybe there will be layoffs but it won't be in that particular department or there are layoffs in the department but it isn't that number.)
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-11-14 12:14 PM
    There will be NO MORE cuts, Chen himself confirmed that.

Posted via CB10
    I don't care if the King of the world said there would be no more cuts. Things change, ish happens and minds are changed all the time.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-11-14 12:25 PM
    Then a few days ago JC said they might build a phablet so stop the whole "I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding" stuff.

. "!
    john Chen: If we will do another thing, we will probably go to phablet. I think if you look at our strategy and if you look at where the market goes... . But, if I have the opportunity I will go to phablet. [] we will build what the market wants.

There are so many if and buts in that quote that it's pretty meaningless really. If *I* have the opportunity, I'll spend the rest of my days cruising the Caribbean on my billion dollar yacht. My expectation is that I'll be on the yacht long before BB build a BB10 phablet.

The interesting thing for me in this rumour, is the "and parts of Engineering".

The firing of the Dev Relations team is the end of native apps in the opinion of a few here, including me. But what "engineers" are they firing? The ones developing BB10 software?, the ones designing future handsets? ...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-14 12:35 PM
    Not surprising, whatever excitement we build on these forums for the Blackberry products, we sometimes forget the truth is that BB is still bleeding cash. This may tick the stock to the upside if it is true.
    06-11-14 12:50 PM
    N4BB ready to get sued?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    Why would you think anyone would sue N4BB?

They don't work for BB, and so the "releasing news that might impact the markets" rule shouldn't apply to them. And I believe it's been established that blogs have journalistic rights to protect their (presumed BB employee) source.

If it's just because N4BB printed "bad stuff" about BB... Then most of the mainstream press would be in the dock!
    kbz1960 and TGR1 like this.
    06-11-14 12:50 PM
    JC is all over the place. Making it up as he goes.
    Sometimes I wonder about that too. I know he doesn't want to tip his hand, but...
    06-11-14 12:53 PM

Agree. However, I wouldn't just fire the dept. I would try to understand their challenges and then address them. Is it the people, skills (or lack thereof), etc. Knowing what we all know about the current state of the company it is hard to judge these folks on their inability to bring new apps to the platform. So much of this is beyond the dev relations team. In any event, Blackberry needs some semblance of a dev relations team.
    06-11-14 01:07 PM
    According to someone I know at rim, there was a round of lay offs yesterday in the financial-related divisions. Senior management apparently. Not sure if this is related to the 4k cuts that were already announced or if this is additional to it.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-11-14 01:08 PM
    And they did that before. Throw away more $$?
    You don't need to spend tons of money to create excitement for developers (at least indie developers).

There could be bi-weekly or monthly contests to create Blackberry native apps for various categories (enterprise apps, games, utility, etc.). These apps must pass their "Designed for Blackberry" specifications which would filter out junk apps.

The grand prize could be $5k with other prizes for top 5 or 10 apps.

The focus here is about quality, create excitement, and get people to talk about BB10 apps. Right now, there is none of this.
    georg4BB likes this.
    06-11-14 01:14 PM
    [Rumor] Another 2000 job cuts coming-justoffthetop.jpg

Just trimming things up a little.....
    JeepBB, milo53 and techvisor like this.
    06-11-14 01:26 PM
    You don't need to spend tons of money to create excitement for developers (at least indie developers).

There could be bi-weekly or monthly contests to create Blackberry native apps for various categories (enterprise apps, games, utility, etc.). These apps must pass their "Designed for Blackberry" specifications which would filter out junk apps.

The grand prize could be $5k with other prizes for top 5 or 10 apps.

The focus here is about quality, create excitement, and get people to talk about BB10 apps. Right now, there is none of this.
    They already did all if that. You think a second round will work any better?
    06-11-14 01:26 PM
237 1234 ...