06-27-14 06:22 AM
237 123 ...
tools
    Lucas, over at N4BB, just posted the following:

We've heard whispers and pretty much have confirmed there is another 2,000 job cut to be in effect. The entire Developer Relations team (including Marty Mallick) will be let go, and parts of engineering.

Perhaps BlackBerry has secured an agreement with a third party app store to fill the gap with a plethora of Android apps?

Whatever the case, it's definitely unfortunate, but may mean a more streamlined company and an achieved end game for Chen.

Sad to see friends and acquaintances leave the company we all love. Hopefully, it only make for a brighter future for the company as a whole.
    Last edited by ad19; 06-11-14 at 09:49 AM.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    06-11-14 09:21 AM
    if true this is very hard to see happen. Lots of questions now
    06-11-14 09:34 AM
    I agree with letting Mallick go... but the whole developers relation team? Bye bye native apps, if that is true.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    06-11-14 09:37 AM
    More fantastic and positive moves.

And the dark days continue.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-11-14 09:38 AM
    Sounds like either a move to software services only to me or getting ready to close the doors.
    JeepBB and Blacklatino like this.
    06-11-14 09:59 AM
    Chen has said on multiple occasions that he sees BB's future in enterprise and services... He's also stated that unless hardware earns its keep, it's toast.

I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding.

If this news is true, then BB have effectively given up on native BB10 development... Just as well 98% of Android Apps work flawlessly under the BB10 runtime... Oh, wait...
    06-11-14 10:10 AM
    Link? It's not on N4BBs main new section on their site.
    06-11-14 10:30 AM
    June 19th will be the Quarter report. I guess it will be announced after that if this is indeed true? Really bad news for the employees and local economy. I have friends who were let go in the previous 4500 layoff.
    06-11-14 10:34 AM
    Link? It's not on N4BBs main new section on their site.
    Topic: Not going to make this an official post | N4BB
    06-11-14 10:34 AM
    But, is this still part of the other layoffs announced?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 10:40 AM
    But, is this still part of the other layoffs announced?

Posted via CB10
    Good question...
    This move would bring down their workforce from approx. 8000 in March 2014 to about 6000 - does anyone have the exact numbers?
    Why developer relations and engineering? I begin to wonder how big RIM really was some time ago...
    06-11-14 10:46 AM
    I am somewhat sceptical of this because John Chen has been asked straight up a number of times in interviews recently if there are more layoffs coming and he has essentially said we can't cut our way to growth. Plus this is in the 30 day quiet period before an earnings release so anyone who has given an outsider information of a definitely market moving nature has committed a crime, not just violated their employment terms.
    06-11-14 10:58 AM
    We should also not forget that even if jobs cuts are bad, they are necessary so the company reduces their expenses and keep making money, or in this case, reduce their cash burn.

06-11-14 11:05 AM
    We should also not forget that even if jobs cuts are bad, they are necessary so the company reduces their expenses and keep making money, or in this case, reduce their cash burn.

How many quarters in a row can they continue until no one is left? Then how do they cut costs? Easy, won't be any.
    06-11-14 11:07 AM
    I am somewhat sceptical of this because John Chen has been asked straight up a number of times in interviews recently if there are more layoffs coming and he has essentially said we can't cut our way to growth. Plus this is in the 30 day quiet period before an earnings release so anyone who has given an outsider information of a definitely market moving nature has committed a crime, not just violated their employment terms.
    Yeah, sounds more like a market manipulation attempt.

--------------------

Screen Timeout app - keep your BB10 screen awake as long as you need
    06-11-14 11:07 AM
    Absolutely, this rumor and timing has market manipulation written all over it. As much as the Android Runtime is a nice addition to Blackberry devices, it simply not a replacement for native apps at this point in time. If a move like this were to happen, it would occur after the release of 10.3, when proven to run Android Apps flawlessly (assumption). I doubt Chen would make such an announcement until all his ducks are in a row. Currently, they are not.
    06-11-14 11:14 AM
    pre earnings rumble. Chen just said at a Jakarta interview that there are no plans of cuts...
    garrett1972 likes this.
    06-11-14 11:14 AM
    Even if it is, I would still let Mallick go. :P John Chen should bring another good guy of his crew to replace him.

06-11-14 11:28 AM
    If so, I agree: bye-bye native development. If they're still burning money here, I can see that happening but only if they can populate BBW with Android apps through a third-party (Google Play etc). Probably just market manipulation, as mentioned above. If so, buy the reduced value shares!
    06-11-14 11:30 AM
    There's that many people in developer relations? What the hell have they been doing? Also important to note that Mary Mallick recently got a new position in BlackBerry, although I think he did a very poor job and should be let go ASAP: Introducing Marty Mallick: BlackBerry’s New VP of Global Alliances and Ecosystems | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    06-11-14 11:33 AM
    How many quarters in a row can they continue until no one is left? Then how do they cut costs? Easy, won't be any.
    Depends how overstaffed they've been.
    06-11-14 11:39 AM
    Until the company is in line with the business model going forward. Anybody who didnt expect more cuts to come to BBRY is living in fantasyland. That company was and still is bloated. And thats that
    KemKev and Plazmic Flame like this.
    06-11-14 11:42 AM
    Until the company is in line with the business model going forward. Anybody who didnt expect more cuts to come to BBRY is living in fantasyland. That company was and still is bloated. And thats that
    Yes, indeed. At this point it's rumor anyway but if they are cutting those departments it doesn't look good for any native development.
    06-11-14 11:46 AM
    Chen has said on multiple occasions that he sees BB's future in enterprise and services... He's also stated that unless hardware earns its keep, it's toast.

I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding.
    Then a few days ago JC said they might build a phablet so stop the whole "I swear many here on CB think Chen was kidding" stuff.

JC is all over the place. Making it up as he goes.

m1kr0 and kevinnugent like this.
    06-11-14 11:52 AM
    Makes sense if your:

1. Replacing it with something better.
    2. Going to an OS that has its own mature ecosystem.
    3. Hired out a third party to do this function.
    4. Is as dumb as a box of rocks.

kbz1960, JeepBB, eldricho and 2 others like this.
    06-11-14 11:54 AM
237 123 ...