10-14-13 05:14 PM
288 ... 101112
tools
    +1

Rogers didn't carry the Storm 1 either. Other GSM carriers worldwide had it. Some times they just don't bang out a proper deal. Also Rogers doesn't wants stacks of Z30's collecting dust.
    Weren't the Storms CDMA phones introduced after Rogers went GSM?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 05:21 PM
    That's the exact reason they didn't carry the storm, it wasn't compatible to their network.
    10-08-13 06:45 PM
    I think Rogers is pulling out on BB period. Pointed out elsewhere Rogers owned Fido is down to a Curve 9360 and Q5.

Overview | Phones & Devices | Shop | Fido.ca
    10-09-13 09:31 AM
    I think Rogers is pulling out on BB period. Pointed out elsewhere Rogers owned Fido is down to a Curve 9360 and Q5.

Overview | Phones & Devices | Shop | Fido.ca
    Blah
    10-09-13 09:49 AM
    You want them and the rest of the shareholders to go down with the ship? $9 is $9 more than you'll get in 6 months, and they know it.
    He was talking about Rogers carrying the Z30. You're talking about BBRY's stock price. Or am I missing something?
    Yep, you're missing the forest for the trees, there is no difference at this juncture in our BB history. Squabbling about what is now minutia (ie, these threads on BlackBerry loyalty) is like trying to treat a symptom or place some sort of artificial restraint on the truth of the BB predicament. Rogers' decision is simply a hedge on confirmation of what all--but the most irrational--have known since mid-June, if not prior.

Prior to July, yes I too despised all the comments that mentioned directly the BB share price, or those postings obviously indirectly influenced by the penny stock traders we have here on CB--especially when found in the specific device or OS sub-forums. But here, now, today our focus can/should be only to get BlackBerry through the Fairfax (or possibly--albeit unlikely another bidder's) deal ASAP. Even as the prognosis may not be much better with Fairfax, BB is absolutely dead (okay 99th predictive percentile) w/o a sale this quarter. Please dont delude yourselves into thinking that BB is empowered to do anything material that would stem its losses short of "selling itself"....and the more time this process takes, the more certainty the share price will collapse to $6 or much less if it drags til next Spring. (BTW, the current negative position against the $9 "prelim" offer doesnt bode well for a smooth close.)

Its about time Rogers [a] direct neighbor to Blackberry stood up and said indirectly enough is enough. Blackberry should have listened to their customers 5 yrs ago, Rogers held in long enough !
    Blackberry did it to themselves and no one else is to blame for their destroying a great company ....
    Yes, and I might add that Rogers undoubtedly has (like everyone else) seen the collapse of its good neighbor coming for a long, long time. Their Q30 decision was not a knee-jerk reaction. Rogers has a business to run and that doesnt include social welfare, at least not as its cornerstone of philosophy. (But they also obviously were not "incentivized" to their liking, as another poster properly states.)
    Once again, a big business Canadian, eh!, feels it must shaft another. Rogers, you should be ashamed, if I wasn't locked in, I'd be gone!!!
    Yes right, Rogers should be taking one for Team Canada. Now, where is the Canadian Govt when you need them, come on "pony up" and save 6,000 jobs. Let's show the world you cant tell BB/Canada they dont have the best product. In fact why dont we ban Apples and Droid phones for 2 yrs in Canada, if not forever.

Better yet, let's get a petition with 250 signatures from CB sent to the Canadian govt insisting that they force Rogers or maybe buy Z30's for all their employees or, heck, just nationalize BlackBerry and offer all shareholders $12 (no, let's make it $15) a share....and throw-in a free dental check-up for a kicker. Yea, now we're talking turkey!!!
    Last edited by M65c02; 10-09-13 at 06:01 PM.
    10-09-13 10:40 AM
    I will call those **************+ first thing Monday.
    Once again, a big business Canadian, eh!, feels it must shaft another. Rogers, you should be ashamed, if I wasn't locked in, I'd be gone!!!
    I warn in advance of a U.S. bias noted in this post but as (loosely) relevant to the (type of) comments quoted above: Is there (there must be) some way that the U.S. govt can tie a BB incentive to their Health Care sign-up. There must be a deal to be made here: all of those promised U.S. GA's and military contracts combined with the millions of promised govt sponsored health care patrons. Surely, this would be infinitely more profitable (and successful) than selling/appealing to bona fide consumers. Yep, that's the ticket!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by M65c02; 10-09-13 at 06:06 PM.
    John Pawling likes this.
    10-09-13 11:23 AM
    Yep, you're missing the forest for the trees, there is no difference at this juncture in our BB history. Squabbling about what is now minutia (ie, these threads on BlackBerry loyalty) is like trying to treat a symptom or place some sort of artificial restraint on the truth of the BB predicament. Rogers' decision is simply a hedge on confirmation of what all but the most irrational have known since mid-June, if not prior.
    The Rogers backlash was mostly about letting off steam, and I haven't checked but my guess is that it has largely petered out by now. IMHO, it had way more to do with the #FairForCanada campaign against Verizon coming in than it did about the Z30. I think that was just the excuse to vent by many BlackBerry fans.

If you're Canadian, you must have been subjected to the constant blathering by the carriers (consortium) that deliberately played on national pride. It was shameless, and somewhat nauseating. A big part of the repeated mantra was about Canadian JOBS. So when Rogers announced they weren't carrying the Z30 at a time when it was announced that BlackBerry was laying off 40% of its workforce, it's pretty easy to see how some Canadians took to their Facebook page, Twitter, et al.

I'm sure the exact same thing would have happened if Telus or Bell had made the announcement. And yeah, it might be just a business decision on Rogers' part based on poor sales of the Z10/Q10/Q5, no doubt. But when Rogers was just part of a campaign whining about Canadian jobs, the optics do look bad for them. Hypocritical in fact.
    10-09-13 03:37 PM
    I warn in advance of a U.S. bias noted in this post but as (loosely) relevant to the comments above: Is there (there must be) some way that the U.S. govt can tie a BB incentive to their Health Care sign-up. There must be a deal to be made here: all of those promised U.S. GA's and military contracts combined with the millions of promised govt sponsored health care patrons. Surely, this would be infinitely more profitable (and successful) than selling/appealing to bona fide consumers. Yep, that's the ticket!!

Posted via CB10
    Ok, so if you're American the Rogers campaign was basically about being protectionist and not allowing an American carrier to come into Canada and compete. They appealed to Canadian national pride to put pressure on the Canadian Government to intervene against it. In other words, they were afraid of their ability to compete. Sound familiar?

Kinda hypocritical, no? On the one hand, Rogers is fine to let the market dictate; on the other hand, not so much.
    M65c02 likes this.
    10-09-13 03:42 PM
    Well looks like they are now lol

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 05:22 PM
    Well looks like they are now lol

Posted via CB10
    Message to businesses: don't pay for pollsters, just make a decision and monitor social media for reactions.

Well played Rogers....

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.1.0.4181 on the Rogers Network
    Jahcure and M65c02 like this.
    10-09-13 05:44 PM
    Yup, they will o doubt order enough to put one device in each store and have 10 on a shelf in the warehouse.

No significant investment made in a product they do not believe will sell.

If they don't sell every single one of them, there will not ever be another Bb product in a Rogers store regardless of the outcry.

They made a decision based on their read of the market. I imagine they know their market better than the people on CB.
    10-09-13 11:02 PM
    Gnomesane, some well thought-out responses, and a pleasure to read. I understand (most of) the sensitivities involved and certainly agree that there is some irony to be found vis a vis earlier stances taken by Rogers in support of protecting Canadian business and the timing of its Z30 announcement. Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by M65c02; 10-10-13 at 09:42 AM.
    10-10-13 09:17 AM
    Gnomesane, some well thought-out responses, and a pleasure to read. I understand (most of) the sensitivities involved and certainly agree that there is some irony to be found vis a vis earlier stances taken by Rogers in support of protecting Canadian business and the timing of its Z30 announcement. Thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you as well, I'm blushing. I tip my hat! Yeah, it was really more about the double standard and timing, methinks.

Cheers.

EDIT: As an afterthought, this whole Rogers Z30 / FairForCanada fiasco suggests to me that the head of Marketing & PR and the head of the Business Division (whatever title) at Rogers need to better communicate in the future.
    10-14-13 05:14 PM
288 ... 101112