10-14-13 05:14 PM
288 ... 89101112
tools
    What do you think it meant when BBRY signed the letter of intent for the sale? It means their Board agreed to the $9 price point Fairfax offered.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/23/b...-billion-sale/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    But that doesn't mean that the shareholders have agreed.
    They still have their Veto-right.

I would have understood it, if you said that the stock market shows that most shareholders believe that 9$ isn't that bad of a deal, but it's not true, that shareholders have already agreed to the deal.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:20 AM
    Anyone have an email address I can send a scathing letter to Re the Z30 snub?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 09:21 AM
    What do you think it meant when BBRY signed the letter of intent for the sale? It means their Board agreed to the $9 price point Fairfax offered.

BlackBerry enters agreement for $4.7 billion sale of company to consortium led by Fairfax Financial

It's non-binding. It's a non-deal deal. The LOI obligates Fairfax to do nothing but seek financing. It is certainly not obligated to go through with the deal, let alone go through with it at $9 a share. Nor is BBRY, for that matter, but if it walks away, it will have to pay Fairfax.

No offense, but Engadget is not the place I would look to for an analysis of a buyout deal (or non-deal). The NY Times' Dealbook had an excellent analysis of the LOI last week -- read it and you'll get an accurate picture:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/...ot-yet-a-deal/
    MarsupilamiX, oilgeo10 and JeepBB like this.
    10-04-13 09:22 AM
    Just call Customer support and open a ticket then escalate to the office of the president of Rogers.

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.1.0.4181 on the Rogers Network
    10-04-13 09:40 AM
    I think this topic is off track, talking about share prices and privatization of BlackBerry.
    We should be discussing the Rogers decision.

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.1.0.4181 on the Rogers Network
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-04-13 09:42 AM
    Check your rumour mill! Completely WRONG! Rogers is 100% committed to BB
    care to rephrase that ?
    Air Force One likes this.
    10-04-13 09:46 AM
    It's non-binding. It's a non-deal deal. The LOI obligates Fairfax to do nothing but seek financing. It is certainly not obligated to go through with the deal, let alone go through with it at $9 a share. Nor is BBRY, for that matter, but if it walks away, it will have to pay Fairfax.

No offense, but Engadget is not the place I would look to for an analysis of a buyout deal (or non-deal). The NY Times' Dealbook had an excellent analysis of the LOI last week -- read it and you'll get an accurate picture:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/...ot-yet-a-deal/
    Thanks for the link..but that article is full of speculation. Bottom line is..BBRY BoD agreed to the $9 price point. Whether they go thru with it or not is a matter of speculation..although it seems as its more in Fairfax's hands now

10-04-13 09:53 AM
    Too long, haven't read so this may be redundant. Rogers has said it's not carrying the Z30 because they feel the Z10 and both Qs cover their customers off well, make of that what you will. But what ever the reason behind the decision, BlackBerrys are still prominently displayed in all their stores and show no signs of being removed.
    KemKev likes this.
    10-04-13 10:18 AM
    So BlackBerry, ready to complain about carrier support yet?

Frank Boulben is one good looking guy but me thinks the marketing and advertising in BlackBerry is abysmal.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    I don't know what he looks like but it is clear that Blackberry is clearly out of touch with the US consumer market. I thought they would have learned their lesson from the Playbook sales flop despite good pre-launch reviews. But apparently not. I suspect that this stems from an internal self-image as more of an R&D playground rather than serious commercial business. Lazaridis maybe? They seem to be operating under the delusion that people are craving for their stuff and all they had to do was put it on the shelf with the name Blackberry and it would sell. That was true for a short window of time when Blackberry was "cool" - but then this thing called competition happened and the cool image passed to others.
    10-04-13 10:35 AM
    Too bad as I am very interested in the Z30 (Rogers is my carrier). Then again, if I can get it directly from BBRY, that might make updating a whole lot easier. Not the end of the world, I guess.
    10-04-13 11:36 AM
    just got off live chat with a Rogers rep. She said Rogers will be stocking the Z30 "soon" and phone customer service for more details. It's probably a smoke screen but who knows, maybe the publicity is having an effect.
    10-04-13 11:55 AM
    God dammit can someone answer my question about best buy or futureshop selling contracts sim free?

Posted via CB10
    Maybe just go to Best Buy or Future Shop and ask them?!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 12:02 PM
    just got off live chat with a Rogers rep. She said Rogers will be stocking the Z30 "soon" and phone customer service for more details. It's probably a smoke screen but who knows, maybe the publicity is having an effect.
    It's more likely that the sales rep is completely clueless and was just making something up because she didn't know the answer.

Rogers recently sub-contracted out some of their customer support functions to a third party (here in Canada, I might add). It's pretty easy to tell when your call happens to get routed through to one of these offices. They're badly trained and they all have a massive chip on their shoulder.
    10-04-13 12:33 PM
    The shareholders already agreed to the $9 offer though.
    Wrong.
    10-04-13 12:38 PM
    Wrong.
    Oh? How so?

The BlackBerry Board of Directors, acting on the recommendation of a special committee of the board of directors (the "Special Committee"), approved the terms of the LOI under which the consortium, which is seeking financing from BofA Merrill Lynch and BMO Capital Markets, would acquire BlackBerry and take the company private subject to a number of conditions, including due diligence, negotiation and execution of a definitive agreement (the "Definitive Agreement") and customary regulatory approvals.
    Thus..short of Fairfax not coming up with the Capital, or Blackberry getting a better offer on the table..the $9/share was approved by the BoD

10-04-13 12:59 PM
    Oh? How so?
    I'm going to try to say this as nicely and non-confrontationally as I can. You should maybe wait until you have all the facts and really understand the subject before making posts like this.

You didn't say the $9 offer was approved by the BoD. You said the shareholders have approved this deal. The post you said it in is two posts above this one. The shareholders have not approved this deal. The BoD are not the shareholders. Shareholders are the owners of the common stock.

We are not at the shareholder approval stage of the deal yet. It's probably coming in a month or so.

You've been around here long enough to know a troll when you see one, right?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-04-13 01:31 PM
    I'm going to try to say this as nicely and non-confrontationally as I can. You should maybe wait until you have all the facts and really understand the subject before making posts like this.

You didn't say the $9 offer was approved by the BoD. You said the shareholders have approved this deal. The post you said it in is two posts above this one. The shareholders have not approved this deal. The BoD are not the shareholders. Shareholders are the owners of the common stock.

We are not at the shareholder approval stage of the deal yet. It's probably coming in a month or so.

You've been around here long enough to know a troll when you see one, right?
    Well to my understanding (as described to me by my Broker), the average shareholder doesn't have a say in what BBRY decides to accept for the offer. Thus my decision to sell mine at $11.50 well before all this went down. When I said the shareholders had approved this price..I was speaking in regards to the BoD..who to my knowledge are the majority shareholders (or at least act on their behalf). However..perhaps this is where my confusion lies. If that's not the case, then obviously my statement was incorrect.

10-04-13 01:47 PM
    After I saw the pricing, I don't blame them
    10-04-13 02:34 PM
    I couldn't believe the news when Rogers said they would not carry the Z30. My Rogers Blackberry rep confirmed it...I've since emailed my Rogers rep and told him I'm not happy with this decision and it would impact any future mobile wireless agreements.

I hope other will do the same...make your voice heard!

Ash
    10-04-13 02:50 PM
    [QUOTE=tendim;9282189]Maybe just go to Best Buy or Future Shop and ask them?!/QUOTE]
    This is the best post in the whole bunch.
    Well to my understanding (as described to me by my Broker), the average shareholder doesn't have a say in what BBRY decides to accept for the offer. Thus my decision to sell mine at $11.50 well before all this went down. When I said the shareholders had approved this price..I was speaking in regards to the BoD..who to my knowledge are the majority shareholders (or at least act on their behalf). However..perhaps this is where my confusion lies. ...
    First, you are writing way too much on this topic and, further, sitting out on a limb -- especially for not using an OS10 phone to post. (LOL) Second, a broker would be the last place I would go to seek information on this topic or, if you do, best not to mention here. Third, much confusion among many here.

There is an offer in the form of a LOI with a $9/share price on the table (and you were wise to get out above $11). Fairfax has presented what technically might be considered a binding offer (or a contract) but a typical offer of this nature is only s.t. best efforts as to the (almost certainly) broadly defined terms and, of course, always s.t. due diligence. Therefore, it is a binding offer bound with elastic rather than cable with lots of outs mostly in favor of the offeror. The board often speaks, albeit indirectly, for a majority of shareholders (through proxy commitments) but it is also true that the shareholders have yet to cast their votes for Fairfax. Here, I believe that the BB board of directors easily speak for 51% of voting shares. Therefore if there is unanimous support among the board members, a vote is still necessary but merely perfunctory.

All of this can change, however, should a fair evaluation from the due diligence uncover material differences in the valuations, or assumptions, relative to what was presented in the LOI. The outcome of this likely would be for the share price to go down rather than increase. Yes, under certain but broad circumstances, BB is allowed to consider a bona fide counter offer. What I have said for months, in general, and the past couple weeks relative to the $9 offer: If this $9/share doesn't fly and the deal is pulled, look for BB to decline quickly to $7-8 and, assuming no replacement offer, dip to the $5 range into early 2014. A sale must go down quickly and smoothly for BB to survive: Every week that passes prior to notification of a new mgmt and strategy will see more clients/vendors running for the doors. BB is frozen and cash flows will only curtail with a further drop in net cash flows from unit sales.

Fairfax is almost certain to consummatae its proposed deal but let's see what happens later in October when there should be another annoucement.
    AND, Yes, as others have posted above: When Rogers in Canada starts hedging its bets against BB, take that as a poor sign for our BB.
    Last edited by M65c02; 10-04-13 at 03:15 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-04-13 03:03 PM
    I believe that the BB board of directors easily speak for 51% of voting shares. Therefore if there is unanimous support among the board members, the vote is merely perfunctory.
    That was exactly my understanding of how it worked..which is why I inferred that the shareholders (ie majority share of them) had agreed to it.

Obviously anything can happen between now and November..but as you said. At this point, its in BBRY's best interest for this to happen seeing as how they're like the bread crust of the tech world.

10-04-13 03:13 PM
    Rogers won't carry the new BlackBerry Z30-img_00006697.png

Getting poached by Bell! Time to switch.

Posted via CB10
    scook73 likes this.
    10-04-13 03:39 PM
    Here, I believe that the BB board of directors easily speak for 51% of voting shares. Therefore if there is unanimous support among the board members, a vote is still necessary but merely perfunctory.
    Please post a link to the proof that 50% + 1 share of BBRY are controlled by the BoD and I will immediately post an apology to Rickroller.
    10-04-13 04:24 PM
    Please post a link to the proof that 50% + 1 share of BBRY are controlled by the BoD and I will immediately post an apology to Rickroller.
    Count me in too.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 04:32 PM
    If I see someone say it's underspecced one more time in going to vomit. Anyone who has used the device has commented on how fast it is. In benchmarks it beats most android phones with better specs. Stop thinking because an android phone has it a bb10 phone needs it too. You think it's over priced now? Guess how much it would cost with an octacore blablabblah

Posted via CB10
    Well said. Totally agree with you.

At the end of the day you will always have someone whinging about something and, most of the time, completely off base. Oh, well!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 running 10.2 on AT&T
    10-04-13 04:34 PM
288 ... 89101112