12-20-11 10:10 AM
55 123
tools
    What RIM should do is re-release current versions of their devices with Android and WP7 until BB10 comes out. Maybe even keep the different OS handsets alongside BB10 so that people have a choice. RIM is a hardware company first, let the software guys do their thing on RIM's phones until RIM gets QNX figured out. This would boost revenue and certainly bolster their image because at least SOMETHING is being done and they aren't just a lame duck for a whole year.
    12-19-11 09:12 PM
    What RIM should do is re-release current versions of their devices with Android and WP7 until BB10 comes out. Maybe even keep the different OS handsets alongside BB10 so that people have a choice. RIM is a hardware company first, let the software guys do their thing on RIM's phones until RIM gets QNX figured out. This would boost revenue and certainly bolster their image because at least SOMETHING is being done and they aren't just a lame duck for a whole year.
    I would definetly buy that phone. Having all those apps would be awesome and I think it would be a hit with consumers.
    12-19-11 09:22 PM
    I think RIM is going to be just fine. We have a plethora of Android phones to choose from and Windows Phone is still being developed. Like others have said, if I wanted something not running BlackBerry OS, I would have bought one. I can't see any real reason for RIM to temporarily adopt another OS while still developing BB10. They may as well release BB8.

To be completely honest, it is my personal belief that the PlayBook had all the makings of being an "iPad killer." It was shot down not for performance, but for missing key features. Most, if not, all reviews I've seen or read take the time to really praise Tablet OS. Sure, maybe a 7" tablet wasn't the greatest choice for everyone (although, with the latest reports, I think we all know why 7" tablets might catch on next year), and it lacked several key features and apps, but the software was fantastic. But there was little to no marketing and people didn't really know it existed. This is what hurt RIM.

I don't like to spell out what I'd rather see a company do, as I don't believe I have the right. But here's what I hope (or predict) RIM does next year:
    1. January: CES - I don't think we'll be seeing anything but PlayBook OS 2.0 here. If BB10 phones aren't coming out before the summer, I doubt we'd see them here.
    2. February: I believe the official release date for Tablet OS 2.0 is 17 February 2012, if I'm not mistaken. They need to deliver on this date!
    3. March and April: I really hope they just shut up and work on getting BB10 out the door. I don't want to hear anything from RIM in this interval because it seems everytime they say something, it's either a problem or bad news. They need to buckle down and get these phones out as fast as possible.
    4. May: BlackBerry World - If we are truly getting BB10 phones next summer, we will see them here.

I just hope, for RIM's sake, that they deliver. When I walk into my carrier's store in 2013 looking to upgrade, I better be looking to buy my third BlackBerry, not it's replacement.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 12-19-11 at 11:42 PM.
    12-19-11 11:09 PM
    fallen behind? lol, i don't understand

the only thing hurting rim, are lies, lol

word to mother
    You don't think they've fallen behind? Look at the Kindle Fire, Netflix and lotta other apps right out of the box. Apps that the masses want but can't get on PB. Rim should've done more to have these apps from day one. Sure, PB has good specs but the market now is about content.
    12-20-11 09:58 AM
    I think RIM is going to be just fine. We have a plethora of Android phones to choose from and Windows Phone is still being developed. Like others have said, if I wanted something not running BlackBerry OS, I would have bought one. I can't see any real reason for RIM to temporarily adopt another OS while still developing BB10. They may as well release BB8.

To be completely honest, it is my personal belief that the PlayBook had all the makings of being an "iPad killer." It was shot down not for performance, but for missing key features. Most, if not, all reviews I've seen or read take the time to really praise Tablet OS. Sure, maybe a 7" tablet wasn't the greatest choice for everyone (although, with the latest reports, I think we all know why........
    The problem for RIM right now is that in that timeline you broke down, there is not one new product coming to market. We are looking at potentially a full year from right now before anyone can purchase a QNX "BB10" powered phone. And what specs are they using? Stuff that is current now and being replaced very very quickly.

We will shortly be seeing quad-core powered phones released with Android OS, and while maybe the QNX OS won't require that kind of power to run smoothly (Android is a bit of a hog), these will still be looked at as devices that are behind the times when they are released.

Playbook 2.0 OS in February still leaves likely 10 months before we see the QNX powered phones. RIM is planning a big marketing campaign for next year, which, IMO will already be too late. If you look at their share price at this moment, it is $12.72 and FALLING. With nothing to get consumers excited about over the next 10-12 months, how much farther can that number drop before the company is gone?

I'm not saying at all that they don't make a good product, they do, but even they will acknowledge that they have fallen behind the times of what people want in a device. By this time next year (assuming they make it that far), if that QNX phone is not the single greatest phone ever made, they will have lost way too much market share to keep going and will be forced to sell off parts of the company.

There are another 4 quarters that they have to report earnings on before a new device will be released, and if the numbers stay the way they are, and there is no indication at all that this won't be the case, then there is big big trouble ahead for RIM.
    12-20-11 10:10 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD