12-20-11 10:10 AM
55 123
tools
    http://www.windowscentral.com/invest...ndows-phone-os

Is this RIM's way out of this mess? I do like BB's OS but I am frustrated about how far they've fallen behind.
    12-17-11 08:59 PM
    They would be wise to adopt the Windows or Android OS if they want to survive, QNX is going nowhere and developers have given up on it. Blackberry can't even get QNX to run essential features on the Playbook. I regret buying the PB and so do many. I want to stay with BB but enough is enough. People want an OS and phone with modern features and extensive selection of apps, either deliver or get out of the game.
    12-17-11 09:14 PM
    If I wanted a Windows OS I'd have a Windows phone, thanks but no thanks.
    12-17-11 09:55 PM
    They would be wise to adopt the Windows or Android OS if they want to survive, QNX is going nowhere and developers have given up on it. Blackberry can't even get QNX to run essential features on the Playbook. I regret buying the PB and so do many. I want to stay with BB but enough is enough. People want an OS and phone with modern features and extensive selection of apps, either deliver or get out of the game.
    You seem to state that developers have given up on QNX. Care to post links or proof of this? Or have your developers friends post on here and confirm this?
    12-17-11 09:57 PM
    You seem to state that developers have given up on QNX. Care to post links or proof of this? Or have your developers friends post on here and confirm this?
    Look at the app selection for the Playbook if you need further proof.
    12-17-11 09:59 PM
    I have and there are some good apps in there. You do know that they haven't had the proper tools until recently? And those are still in beta and not sure if the big NDK has been released yet. Also some of the apps will be waiting for 2.0 as I'm not sure they will work on 1.

So please stop stating that developers have given up on QNX unless you can prove it.

Thanks
    alnamvet68, A7omic, Rello and 3 others like this.
    12-17-11 10:03 PM
    If I wanted a Windows OS I'd have a Windows phone, thanks but no thanks.
    I gotta tell ya, I just checked out the review of the Nokia Lumina 800 and I must say that it got me thinking. The OS looks promising and that is a sweet looking device! I still like BB but they've fallen so far behind is frustrating!
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 12-17-11 at 10:24 PM.
    12-17-11 10:21 PM
    This is the second post I've seen from you today (I'm sure there is a third or forth I havent seen today) with you calling qnx a failed os and developers have given up on it. Given your join date and how quick you call an awesome os that is in its infancy "failed" man, if you really have the pb and style that are listed in your profile, sell them and move on, because I doubt you'll ever be happy.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-17-11 10:25 PM
    This is the second post I've seen from you today (I'm sure there is a third or forth I havent seen today) with you calling qnx a failed os and developers have given up on it. Given your join date and how quick you call an awesome os that is in its infancy "failed" man, if you really have the pb and style that are listed in your profile, sell them and move on, because I doubt you'll ever be happy.
    you are the second poster tonight that I will remind: join dates don't mean diddly squat when it comes to someone's knowledge, expertise in the subject of RIM/BB phones, or any other quality YOU want to ascribe to a "new" member. At some point in time, the HEAD of a corporation could come waltzing here at any moment. Would you define him as being ignorant or otherwise unworthy of having a valid opinion? ie, stop looking at post counts when you decide how to treat someone, please!!
    kpr55, timberdc and kenshaw like this.
    12-17-11 10:41 PM
    Going with Windows OS really is an option (too much competition with Android).

QNX doesn't have a lot of developer support right now, and with the BB10 handsets not out for another year - it's going to be hard to get them to develop for only the extremely small Playbook market.

The Windows phone market hasn't taken off yet, so RIM has a chance to get a jump on the WP7 competition here as there'll be many BB-faithful who will transition over - plus they still have something others don't - BBM, BES and their enterprise presence (even if it's been declining).

Going with an OS family that has huge foot in the enterprise (both on desktop and backend), plenty of developer support, quality development tools, the #1 productivity suite (Office) and has potential in the tablet market because of those ties isn't really a bad move.

However, if this is an option that RIM would consider taking - they would have to act very fast to take advantage of their window of opportunity. RIM will live or die based on the results of QNX - and they may already be dead due to the long wait for BB10 phones to emerge.
    Last edited by berklon; 12-17-11 at 10:46 PM.
    12-17-11 10:43 PM
    As a developer, wouldn't you want to MAKE MONEY? How would it be in your best interests to eschew developing products for iOS or Android, and concentrating on the BB platform? Seems like a no-brainer to me...
    12-17-11 10:46 PM
    Going with an OS family that has huge foot in the enterprise (both on desktop and backend), plenty of developer support, quality development tools, the #1 productivity suite (Office) and has potential in the tablet market because of those ties isn't really a bad move.
    I don't know about developer support, there really aren't that many apps there either. If I were a BB user trying to find a platform with a stronger future and more apps, why would I choose a platform with a much smaller market share than even BB?

I think developers are experimenting with WP7, because as you point out, the tools are fantastic. And MSFT gives the phones away like candy at every developer event I've been to in the past few months. But I think it's still priority #3 at best for most developers.

I'm not suggesting people should abandon BB. But if people are, it would seem logical to choose a platform that is already a proven success, wouldn't it? It is, after all, a 2 year commitment for most people. Or valuable months for a developer to make and test a quality app.
    12-17-11 11:05 PM
    http://www.windowscentral.com/invest...ndows-phone-os

Is this RIM's way out of this mess? I do like BB's OS but I am frustrated about how far they've fallen behind.
    WP7 has practically zero market share and even MSFT knows it, and MSFT pissed a lot of OEMS by getting in bed with Nokia and all other major OEMS like Samsung, HTC, LG are already on their way out (no Mango device announced yet from LG yet(one of the early adapter on WP7) ). Nokia's come back in the US will decide the fate of WP7.

What RIM has and MSFT doesn't have is the fan following, nobody is cheering the fact in-spite of the turmoil and the transition ahead RIM still managed to ship 14.1 Million devices this quarter. As per some estimates WP7 managed to move mere 2 million units in the last 2 years (this was the news before mango got released a couple of months ago).

On the topic about about ecosystem, coming next 2 years will decide? HTML5 is a big push everywhere and BBX would instantly benefit from it. I am still confident RIM will hit the bulls eye with BBX and in-spite of initial hiccups Playbook's OS is superior in many ways and does what it does best.
    12-17-11 11:37 PM
    What's up with these stupid questions about RIM dumping QNX and using Windows OS
    12-17-11 11:49 PM
    WP7 has practically zero market share and even MSFT knows it, and MSFT pissed a lot of OEMS by getting in bed with Nokia and all other major OEMS like Samsung, HTC, LG are already on their way out (no Mango device announced yet from LG yet(one of the early adapter on WP7) ). Nokia's come back in the US will decide the fate of WP7.
    Those other companies are not going to pay Microsoft for Windows when Android is free. Unless customers demand Windows. No chance of that, given how good Android has gotten now. Microsoft may try to push them by patent taxing Android, but even that strategy is weakened by Google picking up some nice patent ammo of their own with Motorola.

So, yeah, you're absolutely right, windows phone will live or die with Nokia. And Nokia will live or die with windows. (cheap Chinese and Indian phones will eat the rest of Nokia's market on the low end)
    12-17-11 11:59 PM
    the way I use my phone WP7 or Android
    would be a downgrade to me.
    12-18-11 12:00 AM
    WP7 is a total no. Why would someone even think that? Really, WP7 has failed more then any BB device. If they went to Android, then why would anyone even buy a BB? They would just go with a company they know like Samsung, HTC or LG.
    12-18-11 12:10 AM
    What's up with these stupid questions about RIM dumping QNX and using Windows OS
    that's the plan B they will either go Android or WP7, although Android could be a better choice as they can fork the kernel and add their value adds(BES, PUSH, BBM) on top of it.
    12-18-11 12:11 AM
    WP7 is a total no. Why would someone even think that? Really, WP7 has failed more then any BB device. If they went to Android, then why would anyone even buy a BB? They would just go with a company they know like Samsung, HTC or LG.
    Blackberry > Samsung or HTC any day? because they have the killer apps PUSH EMAIL, BBM, Data efficiency and Security.

Even a company like Coby or Vizio can may make a glass slab by throwing in a dual core processor and call it a day but matters is the integration and RIM knows it best than any other OEM out there.
    12-18-11 12:15 AM
    If they were to put Ice Cream sandwich on the BlackBerry London, that would be such a huge selling point.

It's like beautifulest OS meets s*xiest phone ever
    12-18-11 12:17 AM
    If they were to put Ice Cream sandwich on the BlackBerry London, that would be such a huge selling point.

It's like beautifulest OS meets s*xiest phone ever
    Hold your comments until we see BB 10, QNX/Tat combination will surprise a lot of us.
    12-18-11 12:19 AM
    Blackberry > Samsung or HTC any day? because they have the killer apps PUSH EMAIL, BBM, Data efficiency and Security.

Even a company like Coby or Vizio can may make a glass slab by throwing in a dual core processor and call it a day but matters is the integration and RIM knows it best than any other OEM out there.
    If that were the case, then RIM would be doing fine right now. I think they can make BB 10, using the BB 10 OS and sell it well. They need to get developers on board, make killer third party apps, release the device with killer hardware, make the OS rock compared to the Android or iOS, and the market the **** out of it, then I think they will make a comeback.
    12-18-11 12:25 AM
    this is the best phone, personally, out there at the moment and its called Nokia N9..

the hardware used for this was copied to and was used for the lumia.

the OS is meego linux based. very beautiful and smooth. i have said in an earlier post that if the BBX (BB10 now) can come anywhere near this phone is terms of looks/functionality etc, BB will have a winner on its hands. Nokia has taken atleast a one year head start on them in this field: many PB users will relate to this phone and hence why i got it!

no front buttons. smooth touch screen. multi tasking even better than PB (i have not tried it but read in a review people were able to open up to 30 apps at one go ..i wouldnt try it though as it would affect performance for sure). the apps in the background are running infact. the swipe between pages is 2nd to none. The unfortunate thing for this phone because of Nokia's bedding MS that this will be their only phone running on this OS/platform, sadly. there is a huge outcry over this on forums more dedicated to Nokia. the phone is absolutely gorgeous and you can go and see it for yourselves. BB only needs to come close to the design/functionality of the N9. the white one is being released also.

i dont recall there being a unanimous positive review for a phone on both sides of Atlantic (we all know how american reviewers hated Nokia in general) but even the North American reviewers were drooling over this phone.

this is a review from engadget:

Nokia N9 review -- Engadget

many reviewers even said this phone would have been the ultimate Iphone killer. im really enjoying this phone. Nokia has not marketed this phone in NA, unfortunately, as they are betting on their Lumias (its the very ugly sister of the beautiful N9). However, its being sold on websites i believe. Engadget, if im not mistaken, have included it in one of their top gift items for holiday sales.

I love BBs but i was not gonna buy a BB when it doesnt even have the simplest of apps (yes..Angry birds because the kids love it..) the Meego N9 was released in begining of October and it has almost 1000 apps (not including RSS feeds/news apps/ringtones etc) but believeit or not, i believe their app catalogue is better than BB but after all, the whole reason why i bought it is because i wanted a personal phone so people would expect more personal apps rather than business apps. i have a work BB and i will get a new BB soon. i was hoping for the 9900 but i may wait out for the BB10 as i purely use the BB nowadays for email/BBM something which my 9700 can do decently.
    12-18-11 01:47 AM
    As a developer, wouldn't you want to MAKE MONEY? How would it be in your best interests to eschew developing products for iOS or Android, and concentrating on the BB platform? Seems like a no-brainer to me...
    Yeah, except that the best place for individual developers to make money is on BlackBerry (the data supports me here).

I think it's great that developers think that it's a 'no-brainer' to ignore BB and target iOS and Android -- it gives BB developers apps that much more exposure in the marketplace to RIM's massive user-base.
    12-18-11 02:14 AM
    BBOS is fine, thank you.
    If I wanted a microsoft OS or android, I would have bought one.
    12-18-11 02:23 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD