07-09-12 12:23 PM
47 12
tools
    So I wonder why they all seem to be including it in the newest devices or have plans to?
    A good question, but it also took Bluetooth quite a while to get off the mark. It wasn't until wireless headsets/earpieces became affordable that everyone used BT on a daily basis.

Until retailers start implementing NFC, it will remain a solution waiting for a problem...
    07-08-12 10:07 AM
    NFC isnt unique ios 6.0 passbook which will be upgraded to all iphones (iphone 3 and newer) and ipads (ipad 2 and newer) will have NFC functionality. It is essential to the cashless society being built and home automation.

Apple rumors: New iPhone with NFC; Yelp check-ins for iOS 6 Maps | Digital Trends
    07-08-12 11:25 AM
    So far, NFC is a solution looking for a problem. The retailers have not adopted it yet. Perhaps in a few years. But it is not a differentiating factor when a consumer buys a phone. Yet.
    As was the train, the airplane and many other significant technological advances through out history.

As for BB10/QNX/NFC, there are already airports, hotels and banks working on this promising solution and given that RIM now owns both the back end and the front end the speed of development is largely in their control - they don't have to go hat-in-hand to a huge back end OS provider begging for attention, they own one.

I'm hoping the current experiments will wrap up quickly and go on nto full scale release.
    07-08-12 12:31 PM
    Guys, here's the thing, I don't believe the media is doubting the abilities of QNX. They're doubting RIM's ability to execute. See exhibit A The Playbook.
    07-08-12 12:52 PM
    Guys, here's the thing, I don't believe the media is doubting the abilities of QNX. They're doubting RIM's ability to execute. See exhibit A The Playbook.

You neglect seeing that the Playbook was always meant to RUN BB10, RIM rushing the Playbook to market was a good *idea* but they could not properly execute a product that was as half baked as it was on release so they did minimal marketing etc because really they didnt have much to sell! Because it wasnt BB10. Now that their ideal OS is nearing completion, it will be running on what the rest of competition has set as must have hardware wise. RIM has been in research they will execute and go into motion. iOS took 3 years to build as a platform. The rest of the world will give RIM the months it needs to bring this to market. Even if we North Americans have counted them out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-08-12 01:25 PM
    Do you have any sources that can verify that the Playbook was supposed to run BB10? Or is it now going to run BB10? They sold something that wasn't much to sell (I am quoting your post).

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    07-08-12 01:31 PM
    Do you have any sources that can verify that the Playbook was supposed to run BB10? Or is it now going to run BB10? They sold something that wasn't much to sell (I am quoting your post).

That makes no sense whatsoever.
    In the consumer space we live in, the same place the Playbook languished it makes sense to "try" and get a product out there. If the Playbook had the app store that the competition had the whole release would have been handled different. Again they rushed the Playbook out so developers could start building apps for their future in BB10 platform. It is a failure by necessity and design, in a weird way these are the things that needed to happen. The delay of 2.0 release was because they built the Android Runtime which was a massive undertaking and also must be polished for the BB10 Release. A lot more going on than a *crappy product* geeze. The iPad 1 isnt even getting the latest OS at least our Playbooks will be.

07-08-12 01:45 PM
    You neglect seeing that the Playbook was always meant to RUN BB10, RIM rushing the Playbook to market was a good *idea* but they could not properly execute a product that was as half baked as it was on release so they did minimal marketing etc because really they didnt have much to sell! Because it wasnt BB10. Now that their ideal OS is nearing completion, it will be running on what the rest of competition has set as must have hardware wise. RIM has been in research they will execute and go into motion. iOS took 3 years to build as a platform. The rest of the world will give RIM the months it needs to bring this to market. Even if we North Americans have counted them out.

I hope you're right. That would mean I can have a bb10 phone.
    07-08-12 01:51 PM
    In the consumer space we live in, the same place the Playbook languished it makes sense to "try" and get a product out there. If the Playbook had the app store that the competition had the whole release would have been handled different. Again they rushed the Playbook out so developers could start building apps for their future in BB10 platform. It is a failure by necessity and design, in a weird way these are the things that needed to happen. The delay of 2.0 release was because they built the Android Runtime which was a massive undertaking and also must be polished for the BB10 Release. A lot more going on than a *crappy product* geeze. The iPad 1 isnt even getting the latest OS at least our Playbooks will be.

Wow. A great bunch of excuses on how NOT to deliver a product.
    The Playbook was the worst distraction RIM had. Now they are trying to make it right with "Release 2.0" which will give it the latest OS which the iPad 1 can't get.
    07-08-12 02:12 PM
    The first time I remember hearing about NFC was on the Nexus S which was released in January '11 IIRC. Since then it's been released on a handful of other devices. My Amaze had it. I've never used it, or seen any indicators that certain retailers, etc had NFC capability. What do you all think needs to happen before NFC is widely utilized?
    I think the banks have to roll it out as an approved POS method of payment and get it into the stores, theaters, etc.

I think the whole RFID (Tap N Go, PayPass, er al) never really took off because it's not terribly secure and because it's limited in what it can do.

If it becomes widely adopted at airports, car rentals and hotels it will help a lot to.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 07-08-12 at 03:02 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-08-12 02:54 PM
    Wow. A great bunch of excuses on how NOT to deliver a product.

The Playbook was the worst distraction RIM had. Now they are trying to make it right with "Release 2.0" which will give it the latest OS which the iPad 1 can't get.

Playbook is on a journey to BB10. It's been discussed in many forums that the Playbook will be the bare minimum specs for BB10 and that BB10 will evolve with the industry faster than the competition can. We can't count the Playbook out until we can for certain count RIM. Thats not today

07-08-12 02:57 PM
    What does Mobil oil speed pass use? There are others. It is being slowly adapted but that doesn't mean it will catch on everywhere. Myself I still pay cash for most things I buy.
    All of the current contactless systems (PayPass, etc) use RFID which is not very secure and is quite dumb using one way and very limited communication

NFC is way ahead of that.
    Last edited by stewartj1; 07-08-12 at 03:04 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-08-12 03:01 PM
    I long for the day that I can use my BB instead of the 3 building security cards and one keychain dongle that I currently carry.

Either way, if you’re lucky enough to get your hands on one of RIM’s latest Blackberry smartphone with NFC enabled, HID Global who produces access card systems for door locks, will produce a reader for doors starting in 2012 that can be used with Blackberry devices.

This feature would allow users to tap their Blackberry devices on the lock to open the door, assuming of course they have been authorized. This sounds like a great idea especially for companies that use Blackberry Enterprise Server, as the IT managers can easily grant/revoke access to various parts of the building.
    Future Blackberry devices can use NFC to open doors | Ubergizmo
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-08-12 03:37 PM
    RIM has never produced cutting-edge software. Never will. Even purchasing a company which does won't help that. Any innovation will get bogged down in the RIM bureaucracy and will wind up 3 years behind the times.
    07-08-12 05:32 PM
    snip...The iPad 1 isnt even getting the latest OS at least our Playbooks will be.
    You're pulling an iPad 1 card? Please tell us we are seeing things.

There is a reason it's called iPad 1. Since then there have been two more. By the time a BB10 devices is released, there will be a forth iPad released and Pad 1 will be four years old.

Your other points are just revisionist history.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07-08-12 at 05:54 PM.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    07-08-12 05:52 PM
    I long for the day that I can use my BB instead of the 3 building security cards and one keychain dongle that I currently carry.

Future Blackberry devices can use NFC to open doors | Ubergizmo
    Where I work you have to wear your badge visible anyway.
    07-08-12 06:17 PM

Did RIM inform the public they were using them as a test bed for full price? Or that Playbooks were for developers?

What you are implying is the RIM used their base users as sheep, something a lot of posters claim of another platform.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-08-12 08:04 PM
    Did RIM inform the public they were using them as a test bed for full price? Or that Playbooks were for developers?

What you are implying is the RIM used their base users as sheep, something a lot of posters claim of another platform.
    LOL.

That post you quoted is hilarious. I truly wish I could see the two posters who have stated that theory and see if they can repeat it with straight faces.

Unbelievable... RIM created a fiasco to build apps. Wow.
    07-08-12 08:28 PM
    Because they wrote something you like?

LOL.

I think I am liking the idea of an interim device more and more though. Talking up stuff without showing it cannot be doing too much good.
    No, because they wrote an OBJECTIVE article. Journalism isn't supposed to be subjective.

I do agree tho, that an interim device wouldn't be a horrible idea.
    07-08-12 09:00 PM
    Won't iOS and android be able to talk to them also?
    They will be able to talk to the NFC device, but I think morlock was implying that there would be some benefit to a BB10 device connecting to the parking meter (or whatever) over iOS or Andriod because they will both be based on QNX.

I guess it would make sense that same OSs would speak to each other easier/better, but I can't imagine options being limited on most public use utilities, or even your TV/washing machine/dishwasher, etc. From BB to PB, yes, but not much else. Maybe speed of connection, but we'd be talking about what, 1sec vs .5sec?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-08-12 09:20 PM
    Cool, but totally unhelpful to market and sell BB10 devices.

"QNX CAR takes advantage of HTML5 and can interface with not just BlackBerry, but also iOS and Android devices."

Thus BB10 will not give you an advantage over other platforms on this point. I argued this in another thread on the same topic. Why is he making such a big deal about it when it will work with the other products as well? Of course QNX has to work with those other platforms as nobody would buy or implement something that might only work on BB10. Nobody cares if its "native QNX."
    07-09-12 12:21 PM
    What OS is going to be running on the embedded platforms that all these near field enabled devices are going to be communicating with?

Most likely something QNX-based.

I can't see iOS or Android on a parking meter.
    It will have to or nobody will buy them since they would only serve 10% or so of the market.
    07-09-12 12:23 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD