01-22-13 05:35 AM
85 ... 234
tools
    I have been observing people's reaction to BlackBerry 10 advertisements on FB and Twitter. There are two groups of people:

1. Very negative. Very hostile. Non-objective at all.
    They don't even want to give BlackBerry 10 a chance. People simply trash BlackBerry as a brand and in a lot of comments they are wishing for it to 'die'.

2. On the other hand, folks that have had a chance to play with a BlackBerry 10 (some analysts, carrier employees etc.) are raving about BlackBerry 10!

It's extremely important for RIM to win over folks from Group 1. So far the only thing that has worked is letting people actually play with BlackBerry 10. People in Group-2 got to test a real BlackBerry 10 device and they liked it. And they got to play it with it not just for 10 minutes (like you'd get to play with it in-store at BestBuy or FutureShop or something) but they actually got to test it and experience different features.

Maybe RIM can allocate certain number of "test" or "loaner" devices for each store. When somebody comes to purchase a phone, the sales-rep can offer them a loaner BlackBerry 10 for (say) 2 days. Person gets to test BlackBerry 10 device and later person can buy whatever they want. I think a lot of people will end up choosing BlackBerry 10 this way.

Not just that, if an iPhone 5 or Android user chooses to go with BlackBerry 10 (after having tested a loaner), the person is going to tell his friends (kind of like.. hey, I went to buy Samsung Galaxy S3, but tested BlackBerry 10 for 2 days and I was sold..it's the best thing since sliced bread or something). Winning over somebody from another camp will lead to a powerful Word Of Mouth effect too. So, RIM will end up gaining more than just 1 customer.
    01-20-13 11:03 AM
    No miracle needed to convince two of my cousins to get the Z10. Showed them some demo's from you tube and they were impressed. They currently have the IPhone 5 and they selling it to get the Z10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 11:04 AM
    Same here as I have stated in the past. I am the only one at my workplace that uses a BB, and am always being asked "When are you going to get a real phone?" Comments do not bother me. I use what works for me, and I see people with droids and iphones at work with just as many frustrations. The only thing is they don't have to do the battery pulls. All it took was some vid clips and some articles that they gave a chance and did read them, and most of, if not all of the negativity stopped. Those same people at work are getting just as antsy as I am for Z10 to be released. Was a very easy task on my part. Not that I really encourage anyone to switch platforms, IF they are happy. If I have some of these people switching from work as they told me they are, guess what? They must not be happy with their current phone/platform. At least they were not ignorant to the fact. Vids and articles were pretty much self explanatory for them. It did not take many words, but I saw a lot of smiles along the way
    01-20-13 11:19 AM
    OP is right, being that BB10 is so late to the party most ppl already have smartphones that they generally or overwhelming like (Androids and iPhone's are very, very good devices) and have chosen their camp. They could care less about BB10 . It's only the diehards and fanboys that are going to go out of their way to buy one. Look how difficult it has been for Microsoft / Nokia to make inroads and they have spent 100's of millions on advertising... outside of the fanboy community nobody cares.
    01-20-13 12:02 PM
    OP is right, being that BB10 is so late to the party most ppl already have smartphones that they generally or overwhelming like (Androids and iPhone's are very, very good devices) and have chosen their camp. They could care less about BB10 . It's only the diehards and fanboys that are going to go out of their way to buy one. Look how difficult it has been for Microsoft / Nokia to make inroads and they have spent 100's of millions on advertising... outside of the fanboy community nobody cares.
    That's so funny ...

edited : you basically describe "people" (define the word) like if they loved their devices. They can be abused by advertising, marketing or hype ... but nothing is more instable than this apparent "love" and believe me, when something new get in the hype, they become amnesic, join the dance and become inconditional in a snap. Even "Love" - the real one - if far more stable.
    What you call diehard or fanboys ... well, isn't those you describe in the first part of your argumentation ?
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-20-13 at 06:16 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-20-13 12:08 PM
    OP is right, being that BB10 is so late to the party most ppl already have smartphones that they generally or overwhelming like (Androids and iPhone's are very, very good devices) and have chosen their camp. They could care less about BB10 .
    You're wrong. See my response on the first page and lots of other people since.

Si.
    01-20-13 02:48 PM
    Why do people not think about phones jsut as they do gaming consoles. By geenration. People stopped bying NEWs when SNESs came. N64 gave in to the gamecube. The XBox was followed by the XBox360.

Android and iOS are generation 1. Windows 8 and BB10 are generation 2.

People are going to realize this in time. RIMM could even do this in commercials some how. Label iOS and Android as generation 1 and BB10 as the next generation.

PS: So much for Pats vs 49ers.
    01-20-13 08:32 PM
    Lets revisit this next year. My prediction is that RIM will, at best, have roughly the same market share as they do now in Jan 2014. As I said before they are too late to the party. Android and iPhone are entrenched, established and mature.
    01-21-13 08:29 AM
    1. The Smartphone market is still growing rapidly because more people in most places are still on feature phones. This takes the view that RIM needs to convince people to switch from iPhone and Android to survive. Maybe that would be the case if the Smartphone market had flattened or declined, but it's still growing because of the feature phone upgraders.
    The smartphone market is migrating to a commodity market (thanks to SamDroid). The future is in full computer ecosystems.

2. 79 million people have stuck with (arguably) the most ridiculed company in the media for the last two years, which suggest some people do 'still care' and 'will ugprade'
    How many of these 79 million are loyal BBers or just corporate employees handed out a free BB?

3. There's this assumption that everyone who buys a smartphone is 'locked in' and won't switch. While I think this is true for some customers, I think many of these analysts and journalists assume that everyone pays for apps and content and is fiercely loyal. There's a lot of people out there with iPhones and other devices who use them more casually. And in my own social circle, I've seen several drop the iPhone for something else in the last few months. Just as I saw many drop the BlackBerry before it
    Then why does iOS command over 67% of web usage? Many many people buy Android phones because they are given away for free and many of these users don't buy data plans because they only want to do email and make a phone call.

Software is what gives the experience and until RIM realizes that mobile computing is just a form factor, they are just another handset maker trying to be relevant.
    01-21-13 09:05 AM
    Everyone that I have seen that use to have blackberries and I showed all had the same reaction

" Well that looks pretty cool actually, a really nice phone, but I'm not going back to blackberry "

It almost feels like people do not wanna go backwards, even if it is new. I kind of understand that to be honest. I use to have a NEXTEL, then went to a Sidekick, then went to a blackberry, than went to a galaxy.. Feels weird going back to an old brand.
    01-22-13 05:35 AM
85 ... 234