06-04-12 07:08 PM
65 123
tools
    Sigh...I don't know why I even bother with CrackBerry sometimes....
    Then don't, save yourself the time and stress and go elsewhere. I can't fathom why someone would spend their time arguing on a board about a system they dislike. It boggles the mind...
    06-01-12 10:53 PM
    Consumers dont care about microkernels, and neither does the stock market. There is a simple test for modern smartphones and tablets - does skype, netflix and hulu work? Without these basic services that we all have come to expect from our devices you should just call the device a feature phone and stop pretending that it is a smartphone. Playbook has been out for a year with their "true multitasking," problem is however that there is no two tasks anyone wants to run on the device. Services, content and an ecosystem.

Check out what verizon ceo thinks,Pocketables – Verizon CEO says Windows Phone is important, wants to get in on it

Not to mention wp is already out selling bb in the US.
    06-02-12 08:48 AM
    Let's be realistic, if RIM stock price drops below $10, there will be increased pressure on the board for outright sale or finding a friendly partner to invest in RIM. One does not hire JP Morgan for restructuring processes, head count or management. JP Morgan is brought in to find buyers or investors.
    No matter what Heins says, the option window of going alone and hinging the company's future on BBOS 10 is shrinking each day the stock price declines.

On the sidelines, it will be interesting to watch what transpires in the next 12 months.

Having advantages and making money with them are two entirely different things. RIM is for sale not because the future or the management is bright. It's for sale because the owners are tired of watching their fortunes evaporate.
    06-02-12 08:51 AM
    Consumers dont care about microkernels, and neither does the stock market. There is a simple test for modern smartphones and tablets - does skype, netflix and hulu work? Without these basic services that we all have come to expect from our devices you should just call the device a feature phone and stop pretending that it is a smartphone.
    This is bovine feces.

It's not a matter of the applications not working. The companies involved with them just won't allow them on the platform, likely due to conflicting licensing agreements with the competition. There are workarounds for both Netflix and Hulu, and Skype is supposed to be in the works, but there's nothing native at the moment.

What's so 'smartphone' about Netflix and Hulu anyways?

Thats more dumbphone. Don't do, just watch.

This has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with market manipulation.
    06-02-12 08:54 AM
    This is bovine feces.

It's not a matter of the applications not working. The companies involved with them just won't allow them on the platform, likely due to conflicting licensing agreements with the competition. There are workarounds for both Netflix and Hulu, and Skype is supposed to be in the works, but there's nothing native at the moment.

This has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with market manipulation.
    Well whether you like it or not, it's the truth. Nobody cares about theoretical performance. They want to watch NetFlix on their phone at the airport, that's the reason they buy the phones they do.
    06-02-12 10:17 AM
    This is bovine feces.

Give your head a shake. Because the smartphone does more, including being part of the larger ecosystem of content and communication systems it is a dumb phone. Watching netflix doesnt mean it cant be used to do email or document edits. Next your going to start telling me about keyboards - the ship has sailed on the definitive form of the smartphone, and what services it should provide.

A failure to negotiate contracts with hulu, skype and netflix is just more of rim not getting it, a massive fail of not understanding the importance of content. If they mothballed the death by qnx, and let that staff go, and threw that money at skype, netflix and hulu to run on bb7 and its evolution they would have been far better off.
    06-02-12 11:20 AM
    Let's be realistic, if RIM stock price drops below $10, there will be increased pressure on the board for outright sale or finding a friendly partner to invest in RIM. One does not hire JP Morgan for restructuring processes, head count or management. JP Morgan is brought in to find buyers or investors.
    No matter what Heins says, the option window of going alone and hinging the company's future on BBOS 10 is shrinking each day the stock price declines.

On the sidelines, it will be interesting to watch what transpires in the next 12 months.
    I actually expect more from you...

One does not hire JP Morgan fro restructuring processes correct, one hires JP Morgan because one JUST became CEO and needs an outside assessment of the company he just took over

Which is what Mr Heinz did! be brought in the banks to review last years financials back in February, and discuss RIM's options, yes a sale could have been an option, as well as splitting the company up, and licensing software.

The MOST misused part of the press release is the constant referral to RIM bringing in the banks which is not new news it happened in February, they still have yet to sell, and I do agree the $10 price range will make them far more attractive to would be buyers, $8 dollars being my expectation to see some active buying attempts,

The Stock price decline doesn't mean the end for RIM, as a standalone , that is only 1 outcome.
    The More the stock price declines the better chance of them going private. Will that be good for them? who knows. but the current BoD didn't decided to sell back in February/March, they've committed, they've gone all in, if you Still have money invested in RIM, you must be an All in kinda person, they've been on a decline far to long not to be.
    06-02-12 11:54 AM
    How do you figure RIM is 'not getting it'?

RIM devs have been very clear that Netflix isn't allowing them to develop for the platform. It's not about a failure to negotiate, it's about existing licensing conflicting with those negotiations.

Don't be blind and assuming RIM is just fumbling about blindly in the dark. There are major players involved with the media delivery industry that are heavily invested in the current Droid and iProduct marketplace.

@tchocky77

So the entire international smartphone marketplace is dominated by people looking to watch netflix at the airport... right. How brilliant an observation. Do you offer seminars?
    lnichols likes this.
    06-02-12 11:57 AM
    Hi there...

Is becoming a little depressing read contines "haters" attacks to RIM, if RIM fail, yo guys will be happy with your i$hit and MalwareDroid. I dont see the increase productivity with Hulo or Netflyx, Skype is a must.

Smarthphones was invented for increase out-office productivity, not for watch movies or play 3D games.

Dont care how much is "cool" the UI if the messaging system is a crap. No one, iOS, Android or WP have the message system like RIM, no just BBM, the entire system.

Haters, go away please, We and RIM dont need u here, go to i$hit or Malware Cental.

Regards
    Last edited by DrBit2011; 06-02-12 at 12:02 PM.
    06-02-12 11:59 AM
    Hi there...

Is becoming a little depressing read contines "haters" attacks to RIM, if RIM fail, yo guys will be happy with your i$hit and MalwareDroid. I dont see the increase productivity with Hulo or Netflyx, Skype is a must.

Smarthphones was invented for increase out-office productivity, not for watch movies or play 3D games.

Dont care how much is "cool" the UI if the messaging system is a crap. No one, iOS, Android or WP have the message system like RIM, no just BBM, the entire system.

Haters, go away please, We and RIM dont need u here, go to i$hit or Malware Cental.

Regards
    RIM's messaging system was/is there competitive edge, unfortunately, they thought it was enough and didn't progress fast enough.

It doesn't matter what the original purpose for something is. What matters is what customers want from it. If you don't provide what customers want, you don't have a customer.

Speaking of... Is RIM's customer the phone companies, govt/corporations, or the end user? Depending on how you answer that, it also answers a lot of questions in regards to their previous actions.
    06-02-12 01:10 PM
    Do I want RIM to succeed? YES.

However, from experience with over 17 years in the financial industry, I can attest it very difficult to evaluate the true worth of a company with quickly deteriorating business metrics. Right now, RIM is suffering from increased competition, delayed new product line, and the Osborne Effect. Each day, the ignorant media spew garbage about RIM. The customer will choose another smartphone. Each day, RIM communicates how much better the new platform will be, then more potential customers or upgrades wait. Thus it becomes a vicious spiral.

So over 4 months and no news from the bankers on the partners or offers. And we wait....time is not a luxury for the RIM investor.

As I said before, I don't own stock because Android represents the commoditization of the smartphone.

I actually expect more from you...

One does not hire JP Morgan fro restructuring processes correct, one hires JP Morgan because one JUST became CEO and needs an outside assessment of the company he just took over

Which is what Mr Heinz did! be brought in the banks to review last years financials back in February, and discuss RIM's options, yes a sale could have been an option, as well as splitting the company up, and licensing software.

The MOST misused part of the press release is the constant referral to RIM bringing in the banks which is not new news it happened in February, they still have yet to sell, and I do agree the $10 price range will make them far more attractive to would be buyers, $8 dollars being my expectation to see some active buying attempts,

The Stock price decline doesn't mean the end for RIM, as a standalone , that is only 1 outcome.
    The More the stock price declines the better chance of them going private. Will that be good for them? who knows. but the current BoD didn't decided to sell back in February/March, they've committed, they've gone all in, if you Still have money invested in RIM, you must be an All in kinda person, they've been on a decline far to long not to be.
    06-03-12 11:14 AM
    @the_sleuth

As someone with more than 20 years of experience in IT, you're vastly underestimating the potential of the BB10 platform if you think of RIM as just a smartphone company.
    06-03-12 11:35 AM
    ^^, I truly hope you're right. I want a BBOS 10 phone sooner rather than later. I really don't care who owns RIM as long as the firm does not ruin the BlackBerry experience.
    06-03-12 01:57 PM
    I do see value in Rim in terms of their infrastructure and their patents...however, I don't think we hit rock bottom just yet. $5 USD may be the new low.
    06-03-12 08:12 PM
    From CNBC:

"Technically it's not looking good at all," said Don Vialoux a research analyst at Horizon Investment Management. "It trades well below its 20, 50 and 200-day moving averages and has given no indication of trying to bottom as of yet."

Despite recent declines Roger Volz, a technical analyst at BGC Partners in New York, is skeptical about whether investors ought to jump into the stock at these levels.

"If you were to say to me 'I want to buy RIM at $9.68.' I'd say that's fine but if it closes at $9.20 then you have risk of the next leg-down which could take you to the May-June 2001 highs which are at $6.86 ... That would be the next barrier where I would take a stand," he said.

Well shares of Sony fell below 1,000 for the first time since 1980 in Tokyo trading Monday, dropping as much as 2.3 percent to 990 before coming back a bit.

Nokia scraping the barrel at $2.61 (1996 levels).

I personally think Nokia will file for bankruptcy as it has too much debt and it's feature phone business is deteriorating rapidly.
    06-04-12 07:08 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD