01-28-11 07:54 AM
50 12
tools
    01-26-11 01:52 PM
    These are rumors from 2 people on unreleased devices. I will wait till the devices are actually in our hands before I agree/disagree with RIM. Especially when considering the battery packed into the Atrix and Bionic.
    01-26-11 01:58 PM
    yeah its known the bionic still is not been thru its power management treatment yet. Just the same as the playbook was a couple weeks ago. We will see in april when the talk of a release is for the bionic and see if the atrix stills ships end of march
    01-26-11 01:59 PM
    I agree with the article. Bugs on any unreleased device don't really matter. But I love this statement:

"This device isn't in your hands, and the manufacturer doesn't intend to let it ship with a fundamental flaw that makes the phone unusable."

I guess they forgot about the Storm because RIM rimmed everyone with that one.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    01-26-11 02:43 PM
    Wasnt this literally the same **** that was said about RIMs Playbook?

Until devices are really in the wild and being reviewed it would be worth concern.
    01-26-11 03:06 PM
    I love reading the comments in Engadget news. It's usually good for some laughs
    01-26-11 03:34 PM
    I think the point the OP is making is that there's now more evidence to suggest there's substance to RIM's claim about issues with dual-cores and power management. Nobody is saying these issues are insurmountable (well, nobody except the guy who posted the second-hand info in HowardForums). It's just one of possibly several technology issues that RIM feels is not worth dedicating resources to solving right now just to make the claim to be first (or one of the first) to market. No biggie, they've never been a bleeding-edge technology company anyway, and they're doing just fine.

I would think that RIM and all the other manufacturers have done some R&D on dual-cores and probably other technologies we haven't even heard of yet. They have to stick with what they know will work and what they have the best shot of getting to market profitably, ultimately positioning the company for continued revenue growth. Nobody out here spouting their opinions on public forums knows more about it than they do, I'm sure.
    01-26-11 04:09 PM
    These are rumors from 2 people on unreleased devices. I will wait till the devices are actually in our hands before I agree/disagree with RIM. Especially when considering the battery packed into the Atrix and Bionic.
    This problem is real, but will definitely be fixed by official rel
    01-26-11 04:15 PM
    I just don't really understand the battery life part that RIM is waiting on. I will give them time, but if we really aren't getting any QNX devices this year then by the time we get them in 2012, im wondering if it'll even be really that much better than the competitions at the point.
    01-26-11 04:21 PM
    This problem is real, but will definitely be fixed by official rel
    I'm sure there is a problem. But it is not a problem for me until the device is in my hands.
    01-26-11 04:27 PM
    I just don't really understand the battery life part that RIM is waiting on. I will give them time, but if we really aren't getting any QNX devices this year then by the time we get them in 2012, im wondering if it'll even be really that much better than the competitions at the point.
    what makes you think it is better now? I would try to get more opinions than Rim PR department. question? how can you say an OS that has never run on a mobile product is better than Android or IOS which have been stable for years? you are being spoon fed rim propaganda based on staged youtube demos.
    01-26-11 04:39 PM
    I just don't really understand the battery life part that RIM is waiting on
    Because it's not battery life RIM is waiting on. It's COST..plain and simple. Oh sure..they'll say it's this or it's that..but bottom line is they are not going to pay top dollar now for processors when they can get them cheaper next year.

And as for battery life..could it really be a concern if the specs for the "Monaco" are true..with a 1230 mAh? Better display and bigger processor are going to eat up that battery..no matter how well RIM's coding is.
    01-26-11 04:59 PM
    ^- Agree.

But RIM has always been able to talk about great battery life because of the types of phones they manufacture. They are just QWERTY bar phones with small screens. I've had Symbian and Windows Mobile phones of the same Curve/Bold form factor, they all get great battery life. That's why they're so great for businessmen (in addition to having a keyboard, of course).

Bolds have augmented battery life because they use Smartphone-class batteries - by that I mean battery sizes typically reserved for large touchscreen smartphones (14-1500 mAh).

It's pretty sad for them to have a phone coming out using such a weak battery. I guess they want to best HTC for the "Who can make the most money using the cheapest, crappiest hardware" category.

HTC is touch competition, but maybe they can do it.

I'm probably going to keep my Bold if it comes in without any defects because T-Mobile's ETF is cheap and Corporate Subsidy price + ETF is way cheaper than buying it off contract (almost half off if you do it that way). However, any large screen (3.5"+) touchscreen coming out in 2011 that wants to woo me will come with a 1700+ mAh battery or go to **** as far as I'm concerned...

I think a lot of people are so used to using non-touchscreen phones that they simply don't understand just how bad that battery is on a phone with a 3.5"+ screen - Blackberry or not. The great battery life they get from their Blackberries (Bolds in particular) are largely placebo. Any decent non-RIM device can easily outlast a 3G Curve that sees similar usage due to the Curve's battery size.

That being said, given the leaked pricing on the XOOM. The ATRIX 4G will probably be prohibitively expensive, unless you're starting a new contract on top of a Corporate discount. I can't deal with AT&T's 2GB data plan, though. That's only half a month of usage for me...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-26-11 at 05:29 PM.
    1magine likes this.
    01-26-11 05:25 PM
    Because it's not battery life RIM is waiting on. It's COST..plain and simple. Oh sure..they'll say it's this or it's that..but bottom line is they are not going to pay top dollar now for processors when they can get them cheaper next year.

And as for battery life..could it really be a concern if the specs for the "Monaco" are true..with a 1230 mAh? Better display and bigger processor are going to eat up that battery..no matter how well RIM's coding is.
    And thats why I never really got why RIM was waiting on battery life. It never made sense to me cause If we going to have devices with larger screens, then they're going to have to throw a bigger battery in there to even attempt to keep battery life comparable to what BB's today get (I've seen how fast a DroidX screen sucks down power).

I admit that it is hard to see RIM paying for cutting edge tech, but then again CX said it wouldn't be surprising if they used the Marvell 628 tri-core CPU and by Q2 at the latest. Things may have changed but if tri-core is even coming at the top of next year at the latest, im sure it'll be cutting edge
    01-26-11 05:46 PM
    what makes you think it is better now? I would try to get more opinions than Rim PR department. question? how can you say an OS that has never run on a mobile product is better than Android or IOS which have been stable for years? you are being spoon fed rim propaganda based on staged youtube demos.
    Im assuming your talking about QNX???

well i wasn't trying to say that QNX battery life is going to be better than IOS or androids once its released. we know id have to be a fanboy to say something like that when i haven't owned a Iphone nor a android device, and i definitely haven't played with any QNX based device lol....

I guess what I was trying to say was if battery life really was holding them off from using dual-core processors, then would waiting really give them an edge in battery life??? Because a lot of people make the argument that the dual cores out now are efficient because they spend less time doing a task, thus saving energy. Again, thats not personal belief as I have no expertise in that area, im just repeating what i've read on some blogs...
    01-26-11 05:53 PM
    Yeah that has me worried too............

Im thinking that mayb the processor is much more efficient that they ones they've been using but that screen is still going to sap much more power, than what most BB screens do.

But to be honest, since i realize im not getting a QNX powered cellphone anytime soon, this sounds like the next best thing. MY 8900 loses more appeal everyday lol. It freezes when i look at it sometimes...and i have over 100 MB of free RAM on it
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-26-11 05:59 PM
    Things may have changed but if tri-core is even coming at the top of next year at the latest, im sure it'll be cutting edge
    Quad core's are already on the horizon lol..

Tegra 3 Quad-Core Smartphone CPU
    01-26-11 06:00 PM
    Didn't anyone find it odd that RIM is going to market with a dual core tablet but stating that dual core chips are not evolved enough yet and are not efficient enough for rims standards.

Hello? So then what is the chip in the playbook? Maybe I am wrong but it is a TI A9 chip which is basically a cell phone proc, right?

And then the best part is that when there are rumors of poor battery life on the PB, RIM says that isn't the case (meanwhile wasn't their a screen shot of the PB showing like 98% battery and 4 hrs left?).

So what is it? Either dual cores mean battery issues or they don't? From and engineering perspective it seems like dual core should lead to better battery.

I think rick roller said it. It is more about cost. Which I think lazaridis mentioned as well to his credit.

IDK. I think RIM is getting on the right track. Is the new devices that were leaked drop soon and the OS is pretty solid it will help. The PB looks like a solid product. Compared to a $800 XOOM it looks very competitive.

I just wish they could really get their heads out of their asses. Bit I guess, baby steps....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 06:51 PM

I want it hehehe to quote Tim the tool man Taylor "more power". As for battery life isn't the atrix gonna ship with a 1900mah battery and dual cores aren't always running both cores anyway. Just when the processing power is needed. Its moot anyway my storm w new battery gets me eight hours anyway so I'm used to charging my phone two three times daily.

01-26-11 06:52 PM

Ha yeah i saw that article. sounds impressive. Funny thing is though that the Marvel 628 which is tri-core was revealed way back at the end of Sept 2010.

CX said we'll see this in a device no later than Q2 and from the articles i've read, production on this starts anywhere from late Q1 down until Q3.

Either RIM is really going to wow us at BBW or whatever that even is in March, or QNX devices really aren't coming this year. Either way, whatever BB comes with this processor, I'll do anything to get it
    Last edited by Rello; 01-26-11 at 10:03 PM. Reason: In case some people didn't get the joke
    01-26-11 07:11 PM
    Didn't anyone find it odd that RIM is going to market with a dual core tablet but stating that dual core chips are not evolved enough yet and are not efficient enough for rims standards.

Hello? So then what is the chip in the playbook? Maybe I am wrong but it is a TI A9 chip which is basically a cell phone proc, right?

And then the best part is that when there are rumors of poor battery life on the PB, RIM says that isn't the case (meanwhile wasn't their a screen shot of the PB showing like 98% battery and 4 hrs left?).

So what is it? Either dual cores mean battery issues or they don't? From and engineering perspective it seems like dual core should lead to better battery.

I think rick roller said it. It is more about cost. Which I think lazaridis mentioned as well to his credit.

IDK. I think RIM is getting on the right track. Is the new devices that were leaked drop soon and the OS is pretty solid it will help. The PB looks like a solid product. Compared to a $800 XOOM it looks very competitive.

I just wish they could really get their heads out of their asses. Bit I guess, baby steps....

You're right. If the Playbook's rumored price ranged is true, then it definitely is a lot more aggressive than the Xoom.

I also find it funny that the first dual core phones being released have much bigger OEM batteries than any phone previously released...i believe. I know battery life is important to RIM, then no matter how much coding they do im sure they'll still need a larger battery just in case. i don't think it was coincidental that Motorola did it.

But then again......

Mayb thats where the Marvell 628 processor comes in because the dual core processors that are powering the Bionic, and Atrix don't have a small 628 Mhz core to utilize for basic tasks, and if im correct, I don't think the other two 1.5 Ghz cores run at all until they're needed. i would imagine that would save a good deal of battery. What u think?

I remember u asking CX if the Marvell 628 was still on track for a Q2 release, but he never answered u. lol a little clarification from him would be wonderful right about now ha ha
    01-26-11 07:22 PM
    Big difference in what you can do for power and power management in a tablet vs.the cramped space of a mobile phone. They also have to do it in a way that won't drive the cost through the roof.

01-26-11 08:30 PM
    It's funny to see Engadget say that shipping with bugs doesn't really matter. Jim Balsillie said that the nature of smartphones having to come to market faster would lead to devices shipping with issues when the Storm was released and the blogs got in a major tizzy. Now they are using his words to defend other products.
    01-26-11 09:37 PM
    Ha yeah i saw that article. sounds impressive. Funny thing is though that the Marvel 628 which is tri-core was revealed way back at the end of Sept 2010.

CX said we'll see this in a device no later than Q2 and from the articles i've read, production on this starts anywhere from late Q1 down until Q3.

Either RIM is really going to wow us at BBW or whatever that even is in March, or QNX devices really aren't coming this year. Either way, whatever BB comes with this processor, I'll wait in a line full of KKK members and torches to get it lol
    You might want to edit this sir. Sound like a racist comment to me. Just saying.
    Last edited by blazed12; 01-26-11 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Cause I feel like editing it.
    01-26-11 09:46 PM
    You might want to edit this sir. Sound like a racist comment to me. Just saying.
    No not racist....lol im black so it was just meant to be a joke. Was just tryin to show just how bad i want this device.......sorry if anyone thought it was offensive
    01-26-11 09:55 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD