10-17-11 10:33 PM
34 12
tools
    Do people not like free apps? I don't know what other news has come out today, why has the stock dropped insanely again?
    10-17-11 01:01 PM
    free apps for us, means loss of money for them...
    10-17-11 01:02 PM
    Because it's one of the most mismanaged companies in the tech space.
    Shlooky and decypher44 like this.
    10-17-11 01:05 PM
    A simpler explanation will be to do a tech sector watch.

Apple, Google, RIM are all down, but since RIM is on a lower base, any drop will have a bigger percentage effect.
    10-17-11 01:20 PM
    It means that RIM is making decisions that don't provide a quick fix and immediate investor relief. It perhaps extends to decisions and the current transition that RIM is going through while better for the long term growth of the business and potential customers, there is no immediate payout/compensation for investors.

That being said, I'm glad the company is not being run by the investors who would rather split up the company, silo smaller divisions and sell all assets for a quick buck.
    10-17-11 01:23 PM
    This probably has more to do with Ichan confirming he doesn't have interest in RIM. But RIM giving away apps and free month of tech support means financial loss.
    10-17-11 01:25 PM
    It's a bunch of things that are factoring into a 7% drop.

News out of europe about a bailout being in jeopardy again. (These european leads should really be kicked in their *sses so they can wake up and realize that we are on the verge of another recession if they don't get their acts together). This is weighing down all markets. You also have iCahn publicly saying he has or no interest in buying a stake in Rim. Last but not least, news of Apple selling more than 4 million 4s phones over the weekend.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-17-11 01:31 PM
    Do people not like free apps? I don't know what other news has come out today, why has the stock dropped insanely again?
    Are you serious when you want to know why RIM stocks are down? On top of all the bad press, lackluster devices and the great outage of 2011, do you expect RIM stock to be on the rise?
    10-17-11 01:33 PM
    Better question: Why not?
    10-17-11 01:35 PM
    Karl Ichan stated he has no interest in RIM. With a company that is profitable and about to launch a new OS and device it made no sense in the first place. RIM gets little credit for a pristine balance sheet, 1.4B in the bank, and growing their user base world wide.

Tomorrow the stock should be up just as much as it is down and tomorrow it will be based on facts.
    10-17-11 01:36 PM
    Posting on this forum for real info on stuff like this is like shooting yourself in the foot...
    howarmat likes this.
    10-17-11 01:39 PM
    Are you serious when you want to know why RIM stocks are down? On top of all the bad press, lackluster devices and the great outage of 2011, do you expect RIM stock to be on the rise?
    I am used to seeing it slowly drop a percent or two, 7% in a single day is significant.
    10-17-11 01:53 PM
    Bad press, PB version 2.0 delayed, a possible takeover investor saying he doesn't want the company and the latest versions of IOS5 eating there market share. Hasn't been a lot of positives lately, and with Germany cooling the talks of a debt deal for Greece all markets will likely be down today.
    10-17-11 02:09 PM
    They didn't explicitly say how they would prevent another outage from happening. Free apps does nothing for people like me who have their BB through work, where downloading Apps is not allowed under our IT policy. It's a nice thought, but if I want tons of free apps, I'll download them on my iPod. Personally I'd rather get an early upgrade or something like that, not a bunch of apps I wouldn't use anyway.

Would have been better if they had announced the construction of a whole series of new servers or something so the outage doesn't repeat itself.
    rdkempt likes this.
    10-17-11 02:22 PM
    They didn't explicitly say how they would prevent another outage from happening. Free apps does nothing for people like me who have their BB through work, where downloading Apps is not allowed under our IT policy. It's a nice thought, but if I want tons of free apps, I'll download them on my iPod. Personally I'd rather get an early upgrade or something like that, not a bunch of apps I wouldn't use anyway.
    Upgrades are handled by carriers with contracts and subsidizations... Not to mention if you are already using one of the newer handsets, what are you going to upgrade to.
    10-17-11 02:27 PM
    Do people not like free apps?
    It's an easy way out. Just like a rebate offer - RIM is counting on many users not taking advantage of it. Plus RIM is probably throwing some of this burden on the developers (offer your apps for free as a self promotion and we will market it as a thank you).

The free apps are not a solution, but a consolation.

Wall Street is still waiting for a solution.
    Shlooky likes this.
    10-17-11 03:22 PM
    I am not sure if OP is being cereal or not.

Thread should read: Why did RIM only drop 7%?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 03:58 PM
    The free app "compensation" is actually very similar to what Sony did to make up for PSN's lengthy down time a few months back. Seemed to work out fine for them.
    10-17-11 03:58 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The free app "compensation" is actually very similar to what Sony did to make up for PSN's lengthy down time a few months back. Seemed to work out fine for them.
    and it will work out fine for Rim also.... it was a great strategy on Rim's part!
    10-17-11 04:05 PM
    They had to do something with all the bad publicity they have had over the last half a year or so.

Could you imagine the ****storm had they just sit back and did nothing? I don't know if this forum would have enough bandwidth to allow all the upset customers/fans of RIM. ...not to mention the people that hate it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 04:11 PM
    I think it is less about the free apps and more about the PB OS upgrade delay. The 4 million 4s' sold this weekend can't have helped not can the success of iOS5 and iCloud.
    10-17-11 04:22 PM
    Hoping it drops more to entice me to buy some shares.
    10-17-11 04:37 PM
    Hoping it drops more to entice me to buy some shares.
    You should buy stocks when they are increasing, not the other way around.
    10-17-11 08:14 PM
    Actually, you would try to predict an uptrend, not buy when an uptrend is already happening... Otherwise you already waited too long.
    10-17-11 08:35 PM
    What??? Have you never heard of one of the basic principles of investing...buy low, sell high.

Anyway, why did the stock drop? Some quick math will show you that $100 X number of subscribers = a heck of a lot of $$$$. Anyone know how many subscribers RIM has?
    10-17-11 08:37 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD