09-18-12 09:29 AM
27 12
tools
    New RIM domains hint at BlackBerry 10 apps like Flick, Newsstand, Peek & more

Earlier this month, a photo of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 L-Series smartphone was leaked online that hinted at some new apps.

Now, RIM has registered several domains that likely reveal more about the lineup of apps including Flick, Flow, Hub, Keyboard, Newsstand, Peek, PlayOn, Remember, Story Maker, Time Shift, BBM Video, BBM Voice, and Voice Control.

The leaked photo of the device that surfaced on September 3, showed several apps including Facebook, Pictures, Remember, Maps and Story Maker. While the photo didn’t offer many details, RIM’s latest round of domain registrations may provide more clues.

On September 14, Research In Motion Limited, bought up dozens of names through the brand protection company MarkMonitor.

The list of domains includes names like BlackBerryFlick.com (Whois), BlackBerryPeek.com (Whois), BlackBerryPlayOn.com (Whois), BlackBerryRemember.com (Whois), BBMVideo.com (Whois), BlackBerryStoryMaker.com (Whois), BlackBerryTimeShift.com (Whois), and BlackBerryVoiceControl.com (Whois).

The majority of the names were registered publicly to RIM, like BlackBerryPeek.com.

A handful of names like BlackBerryHub.net were registered anonymously using MarkMonitor’s Whois privacy service DNStination.

Here’s a look at many of the new registrations:

bbmvideo.com
    bbmvideo.net
    bbmvideo.org
    bbmvideo.biz
    bbmvideo.info
    bbmvideo.us
    bbmvoice.net
    bbmvoice.org
    bbmvoice.biz
    bbmvoice.info
    bbmvoice.us
    blackberry10os.us
    blackberryflick.com
    blackberryflick.net
    blackberryflick.org
    blackberryflick.biz
    blackberryflick.info
    blackberryflick.us
    blackberryflow.net
    blackberryflow.org
    blackberryflow.biz
    blackberryflow.info
    blackberryflow.us
    blackberryhub.net
    blackberryhub.org
    blackberryhub.biz
    blackberryhub.info
    blackberryhub.us
    blackberrykeyboard.net
    blackberrykeyboard.biz
    blackberrykeyboard.info
    blackberrykeyboard.us
    blackberrynewsstand.net
    blackberrynewsstand.org
    blackberrynewsstand.biz
    blackberrynewsstand.info
    blackberrynewsstand.us
    blackberrypeek.com
    blackberrypeek.net
    blackberrypeek.org
    blackberrypeek.biz
    blackberrypeek.info
    blackberrypeek.us
    blackberryplayon.com
    blackberryplayon.net
    blackberryplayon.org
    blackberryplayon.biz
    blackberryplayon.info
    blackberryplayon.us
    blackberryremember.biz
    blackberryremember.info
    blackberryremember.us
    blackberrystorymaker.com
    blackberrystorymaker.net
    blackberrystorymaker.org
    blackberrystorymaker.biz
    blackberrystorymaker.info
    blackberrystorymaker.us
    blackberrytimeshift.com
    blackberrytimeshift.net
    blackberrytimeshift.org
    blackberrytimeshift.biz
    blackberrytimeshift.info
    blackberrytimeshift.us
    blackberryvoicecontrol.com
    blackberryvoicecontrol.net
    blackberryvoicecontrol.org
    blackberryvoicecontrol.biz
    blackberryvoicecontrol.info
    blackberryvoicecontrol.us

At the time of this story being published, none of the domain names appear to resolve to a web page.

It's sad that CrackBerry.com no longer gives us such news. I remember them being the first ones to tell us that RIM had registered www.blackberrytorch.com and suggested that the 9800 would be called the Torch. Anyways, looks like some new features are coming our way.

Storymaker - their version of a video editor (Jaycut)
    Peek - The peek feature to view notifications
    Voicecontrol - enhanced voice controls as seen in the Dev Alpha
    Keyboard - Awesome virtual keyboard as seen in the keynote
    Flow - The new alternative to the "in-out paradigm"
    BBM Video - New video chat feature for BBM
    BBM Voice - Possibly new voice call feature
    Newsstand - as seen on the PlayBook

Not sure what Flick, Hub, Playon and Timeshift mean.
    Flick could refer to the predictive keyboard engine, where the words appear on top of the next letter we are going to type and we have to 'flick' them on the screen.

Timeshift could refer to the Camera feature that allows us to go back in time to capture the perfect moment.

Playon could be a feature that allows us to pause a game on our BB10 phone and resume it on the PlayBook or vice versa.

Hub could be a new name for their cloud features.
    09-16-12 04:49 AM
    Nice find, thanks.
    09-16-12 05:30 AM
    Oddly the domains are set to expire in only 1 year from registration.
    09-16-12 06:52 AM
    bbmvoice.net
    bbmvoice.org
    bbmvoice.biz
    bbmvoice.info
    bbmvoice.us

if this turns out t be voice calling through BBM..this could be a killer feature. it will be way more useful than BBM video.
    09-16-12 06:59 AM
    bbmvoice.net
    bbmvoice.org
    bbmvoice.biz
    bbmvoice.info
    bbmvoice.us

if this turns out t be voice calling through BBM..this could be a killer feature. it will be way more useful than BBM video.
    Well there has been rumors floating around for months now that either Skype it's self will be built in to BBM, or likely powering BBM Voice if that's the case. Or, that RIM is cooking up it's own skype competitor that it's baking into BBM. Either way, BBM is about to get a second life as the worlds most popular communications platform with all the great new stuff they're baking in.
    09-16-12 08:02 AM
    Whats not on the list? wwww.blackberryflow.com

Guess who bought it? Crackberry Kevin!

Wonder what he gets to give that up!
    theRock1975 and bungaboy like this.
    09-16-12 08:36 AM
    Probably nothing what with it containing the word Blackberry which means RIM could just get a court order either way I am sure if they asked he would give it freely.
    southlander likes this.
    09-16-12 09:23 AM
    Why odd? Renewing a domain name is scarcely difficult or even time consuming. I know that whenever I register a domain, I do it initially for a year. At the end of that time I decide to either let it lapse, renew it for another year, or, in some cases, renew it for several years. Nothing odd about that.
    09-16-12 11:07 AM
    Wow, that's awesome to hear!

I am looking at the bbmvideo.com
    Awesomeee!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.569 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    09-16-12 12:55 PM
    A lot of times companies register lots of domain names just to prevent squatters from taking them and making money off of people thinking that it's an official company site. It doesn't necessarily mean that their coming out with products with those names.
    09-16-12 02:12 PM
    bbmvoice.net
    bbmvoice.org
    bbmvoice.biz
    bbmvoice.info
    bbmvoice.us

This has been hinted at for a while. There was even a leaked screenshot showing BBMvideo.

It's one of the Biggest features I'm waiting for
    My Parents will probably keep their 9900's & not upgrade any time soon...but I will still be able to BBM video/voice them from my BB10 (that I will purchase ASAP) using their PlayBooks
    09-16-12 07:09 PM
    I really wish BB10 doesn't use numbers to name there phones.

9700, 9780 and then 9790 is confusing for most consumers.
    09-16-12 07:56 PM
    I wonder if "Flick" is for movies/video (Netflix)?
    09-16-12 07:57 PM
    BBM Voice! That would be awesome!
    09-16-12 08:08 PM
    Perhaps they are set to auto-renew. In which case it matters not.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    09-16-12 08:16 PM
    PlayOn.. Playa!
    sahil123 likes this.
    09-16-12 08:28 PM
    PlayOn.. Playa!
    that would be awesome to have!
    09-16-12 08:34 PM
    Hey Guys,

Been away most of the weekend so not paying attention to the news. I agree that we should have this up on the blogs faster though. Bla1ze getting it up now.

Though seriously... you guys can relax if we're not always 100% first. Geez. We're human. Overreacting and saying "what a shame crackberry didn't get this up" is Kinda rude.

As for BlackBerryFlow.com... here's the scoop...

I was sitting in the audience at DevCon Europe in Amsterdamn on February 7, 2012, witnessing new CEO Thorsten Heins give a BlackBerry keynote address for the first time. During his presentation, he began talking about BlackBerry 10 and the "flow" experience.

Immediately, while sitting in the audience, I said to myself "BlackBerry Flow" sounds like a good name. I own a lot of domains. Buy them all the time whenever something pops into my head that sounds like a good idea. And as soon as I heard BlackBerry Flow I opened up my web browser -- still while in the audience -- and registered it on the spot. It's a habit of mine that's hard to break. I had no intent to do anything with the domain, but figured one day BlackBerry may want it, so I'd keep it in safe hands in case they ever did. Better me than some squatter. Indeed one day RIM requested the domain, and I was happy to transfer it back. Free of charge. No big deal. I have no idea if RIM will do anything with the BlackBerryFlow.com domain. Though I will say I do like the terminology of BlackBerry "Flow" so hope it is a term they embrace.
    09-16-12 08:50 PM
    Oddly it appears you are the only one who finds this odd. Oddly.
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-16-12 08:52 PM
    What are you talking about?
    domain registry says otherwise.
    You missed it. lol
    09-16-12 09:45 PM
    Hey Guys,

Though seriously... you guys can relax if we're not always 100% first. Geez. We're human. Overreacting and saying "what a shame crackberry didn't get this up" is Kinda rude.
    Can a fan not be disappointed? :P You guys do a great job. You're good at what you do and that's why you're No 1. We're all really excited about BlackBerry and we get disappointed easily. Now you guys go and get ready for BB Jam! didn't mean to be rude

PlayOn.. Playa!
    Wow! great find!
    09-16-12 10:36 PM
    I should have purchased some of those names when I thought a couple of BBPlaybook dot [domains] would be good to have!
    09-17-12 12:54 AM
    bbmvoice.net
    bbmvoice.org
    bbmvoice.biz
    bbmvoice.info
    bbmvoice.us

Voice calling kinda already exists on the Playbook already. In the video chat app you can select to have a video call or just a mic. I suspect video chat is being rolled into bbm video and the voip feature from the Playbook OS is being rolled into bbm voice.
    09-17-12 01:42 AM
    Just an idea but could flick be the new slider, with the touch only keeping the torch brand?
    09-17-12 08:57 AM
    Now I hope RIM intends to pitch each as a standalone feature of BB10.
    Imagine on BB10 launch, they go through each of these one by one:

blackberry 10 OS
    bbm video
    bbm voice
    blackberry flick
    blackberry flow
    blackberry hub
    blackberry keyboard
    blackberry news stand
    blackberry peek
    blackberry play on
    blackberry remember