01-30-11 08:51 AM
52 123
tools
    ZTE bumped Apple down, which then bumped RIM down into the "other" category and no longer part of the top 5 cellphone manufacturers.

ZTE displaces Apple as No. 4 phone maker; RIM bumped from top 5 | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-28-11 09:07 AM
    ZTE bumped Apple down, which then bumped RIM down into the "other" category and no longer part of the top 5 cellphone manufacturers.

ZTE displaces Apple as No. 4 phone maker; RIM bumped from top 5 | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    It is pretty exciting for ZTE!
    I have been reading a lot about ZTE, and I can see them entering the Android market in 2011,

Apple has 86% growth and RIM only had 35% growth,
    01-28-11 09:14 AM
    I really wouldnt read to much into this. I mean Nokia is number 1 by a land slide and who knew they even still make phones? I havent seen anyone carrying a Nokia phone in years. We have some exciting new products coming out in 2011. RIM will be right back in the top 5
    01-28-11 09:27 AM
    I really wouldnt read to much into this. I mean Nokia is number 1 by a land slide and who knew they even still make phones? I havent seen anyone carrying a Nokia phone in years. We have some exciting new products coming out in 2011. RIM will be right back in the top 5
    Nokias are HUGE around the world. Nokia has barely any presence in the American market. People know they are still making phones, maybe only uninformed Americans (generalization) do not.

ZTE is doing work. This was really a surprise.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-28-11 at 09:37 AM.
    01-28-11 09:31 AM
    Nokias are HUGE around the world. Nokia has barely any presence in the American market. People know they are still making making phones, maybe only uninformed Americans (generalization) do not.

ZTE is doing work. This was really a surprise.
    Chinese nationalizium, it isn't a surprise, China and Brazil are the only other countries in the world who are like the US in terms of purchasing products because of where they are made.
    01-28-11 09:36 AM
    so is ZTE RIMs competition in the developing markets then basically? What OSs do they run besiges android?
    01-28-11 09:37 AM
    Chinese nationalizium, it isn't a surprise, China and Brazil are the only other countries in the world who are like the US in terms of purchasing products because of where they are made.
    I don't think nationalism was the surprise. I think the surprise was them taking the number 4 spot. Especially when you look at the numbers from the same quarter the previous year.
    01-28-11 09:38 AM
    so is ZTE RIMs competition in the developing markets then basically? What OSs do they run besiges android?

ZTE currently doesn't run android, and they are more a Nokia competition than a RIM competition since they make more feature phones than they do smartphones,
    01-28-11 09:39 AM
    I don't think nationalism was the surprise. I think the surprise was them taking the number 4 spot. Especially when you look at the numbers from the same quarter the previous year.
    I think he was trying to say that the reason they are #4 is because of Chinese nationalism. There are a ton of people in China and if they only buy Chinese products, then Chinese companies will make some good money and produce a lot because of that.
    01-28-11 09:42 AM
    ZTE currently doesn't run android, and they are more a Nokia competition than a RIM competition since they make more feature phones than they do smartphones,
    its looks like the did make a few called racer and blade that ran android
    01-28-11 09:43 AM
    Look at their target markets,
    Population wise their growth isn't extremely surprising, since they have about 3.5 Billion potential clients, where Apples competitive market encompasses about 1 Billion potentials.

It is those emerging markets that ZTE is gaining growth in that RIM has been focused on, RIM really needs to step up their Mid Range game to battle ZTE who is taking it to Nokia, RIM CAN'T let ZTE grasp the market before they get the their entire foot in the water.
    01-28-11 09:43 AM
    Also need to take in consideration that those numbers are for "Cell Phones" if we took statistic for "Smart Phones" then we will have a better views, why? of course Nokia make cell phones and also smart phones while blackberry only makes smartphones which of course are more expensives, if we took out all those Nokias and ZTE phones that cost $14.99 from walmart then we will see a better comparison, my 2 cents.
    01-28-11 09:46 AM
    I think he was trying to say that the reason they are #4 is because of Chinese nationalism. There are a ton of people in China and if they only buy Chinese products, then Chinese companies will make some good money and produce a lot because of that.
    I know he was saying nationalism is the reason for them being number 4. I was saying I think the surprise was them bumping 2 manufactures down a slot. Even the article says analysts were shocked.
    01-28-11 09:47 AM
    Look at their target markets,
    Population wise their growth isn't extremely surprising, since they have about 3.5 Billion potential clients, where Apples competitive market encompasses about 1 Billion potentials.

It is those emerging markets that ZTE is gaining growth in that RIM has been focused on, RIM really needs to step up their Mid Range game to battle ZTE who is taking it to Nokia, RIM CAN'T let ZTE grasp the market before they get the their entire foot in the water.
    I know their target market was huge. I am just pointing out that even the analysts were shocked. It says so in the article. They bumped 2 major players down a spot each. That is pretty big.
    01-28-11 09:48 AM
    I know their target market was huge. I am just pointing out that even the analysts were shocked. It says so in the article. They bumped 2 major players down a spot each. That is pretty big.
    I don't mean to discredit the accomplishment, because it is impressive.

and really Analysts being shocked doesn't surprise me, for the most part analysts are extremely conservative, and very very media influenced.
    BUT they shouldn't be shocked, look that everything the Chinese government is doing, anyone looking to compete in the Chinese market has to realize that Chinese company's are your first competition, we had to build a 300,000 square foot facility in China just so we can sell into the Chinese market
    01-28-11 09:50 AM
    I don't mean to discredit the accomplishment, because it is impressive.

and really Analysts being shocked doesn't surprise me, for the most part analysts are extremely conservative, and very very media influenced.
    I don't think you discredited them at all. You were just stating facts.
    01-28-11 09:52 AM
    OUt of curiosity how many of ZTEs phones are sold in the US?
    01-28-11 10:17 AM
    Pretty darn near Zero I bet.
    01-28-11 10:19 AM
    looks like they might have a few on some smaller providers. MetroPCS had one in the fall of last year it looks like
    01-28-11 10:24 AM
    I personally have never used a ZTE device. I've never seen one either.
    01-28-11 10:27 AM
    Errrrr who the **** is ZTE? I don't know why people are so quick to discount Nokia they make some nice handsets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 10:33 AM
    Right. Unlike RIM who has lost market share in the US and who does sell phones in the US and abroad these guys have a big captive market in their home turf.

So who cares if they are number 4. Now if they had a substantial US presence the picture would be very different.
    01-28-11 10:57 AM
    Well - the issue for RIM is that they have clearly stated their intention (at least through their releases) to carve out the low to mid range smartphone market in emerging markets. RIM is fully aware that they are not competing and can not yet compete in the mid to high range especially in the US market. RIM's competition for the low end was Nokia, now they have substantial competion in the mid range from ZTE. RIM allowed themselves to drop from the top in the US and Europe after release of the Bold 9000. They took a shot at Apple with the S1, and failed and never really took another shot. The Torch for all its ballyhoo is really just a low to mid range smartphone, great for those locked to BES, but not so much for getting any portion of the growing populace who are moving from feature phones to smart phones. The 13-25 crowd have significant brand loyalty. Realizing they had a better shot at selling lower end devices in emerging markets they continued to recycle parts and successfully push into those markets with relatively inexpensive smartphones. If they are pushed out of this space as well, it is cause for concern.
    Rooster99 and dutchtender like this.
    01-28-11 11:51 AM
    Yeah, BGR took some liberties with the report as it shows that Apple,RIM and ZTE have gained at the expense of the other manufacturers.

Or as Reuters stated "North American smartphone vendors Apple and RIM, along with low-cost Chinese producer ZTE, emerged as the biggest winners on the booming cellphone market in final quarter of 2010."
    01-28-11 01:29 PM
    Well - the issue for RIM is that they have clearly stated their intention (at least through their releases) to carve out the low to mid range smartphone market in emerging markets. RIM is fully aware that they are not competing and can not yet compete in the mid to high range especially in the US market. RIM's competition for the low end was Nokia, now they have substantial competion in the mid range from ZTE. RIM allowed themselves to drop from the top in the US and Europe after release of the Bold 9000. They took a shot at Apple with the S1, and failed and never really took another shot. The Torch for all its ballyhoo is really just a low to mid range smartphone, great for those locked to BES, but not so much for getting any portion of the growing populace who are moving from feature phones to smart phones. The 13-25 crowd have significant brand loyalty. Realizing they had a better shot at selling lower end devices in emerging markets they continued to recycle parts and successfully push into those markets with relatively inexpensive smartphones. If they are pushed out of this space as well, it is cause for concern.
    what gibberish are you talking? RIM grew 35% and they are not losing anything here and at the same time they are having better margins than top 5 except Apple. If RIM can sell its curve line below $150 then they can get the market-share but what's the point? They need to make money and they are not mass market type of company unlike LG, Samsung and ZTE and they are making a balancing act by being conservative with price and the product selection. FYI..Bold 9000 was a high end phone of its time and was way head of competition even greater than iPhone in many aspects. Even 9700 was good in many aspects when compared with iPhone 3GS like processor, screen, battery etc. Esp 2010 was a bad year for RIM but 2011 looks promising with a nice product line that can keep its brand loyalty intact until they step up their game with QNX based OS to compete for the high end smartphone market share. RIM's future is bright and it is only a matter of time they regain their lost glory.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-28-11 at 02:05 PM.
    01-28-11 02:02 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD