I'm pretty sure that this isn't a re-post. If it is, please delete.

I was a little annoyed when I first read this review, but the more I thought about it the funnier it got. Especially when he gets all flustered about 'menus' at the end. If there was only a place to review reviewers. I hope that you all get a kick out of the ham-fisted reviewer as I did. Still not sure what he meant when he said, "the screen is almost square." It is a perfect square (insert insult here).

Honestly, I don't think he even understands the hub.

Review: BlackBerry Classic isn't one

Here is a link with a video of his review. Review: BlackBerry Classic isn't one - Tulsa World: Technology

I’ll give this to BlackBerry — they’re persistent.

The struggling, once-dominant smartphone maker keeps releasing phone after phone in hopes one will manage to stick. The various iPhone clones haven’t, and the odd square Passport hasn’t either.

Undaunted, they’ve recently come out with the BlackBerry Classic, which brings back the thing people love most about the brand — the physical keyboard. Oddly enough, it also brings back many of the other quirks BlackBerry had when their phones were popular in the pre-iPhone days.

Let’s start with the form. Yep, it’s a BlackBerry. It’s got the traditional black, rounded look you’d associate with the brand in its prime. It’s shorter and smaller than most modern smartphones, and at 6.3 ounces, it’s slightly heavier than an iPhone 6 Plus, which dwarfs the classic. The screen is an almost perfect square.

The Classic has physical buttons galore. In addition to the keyboard, there’s a wake button, two volume toggles, a dedicated button for BlackBerry Assistant, and five additional buttons on a strip above the keyboard — make call, options, action, back and hang up. It’s certainly an odd duck in a world of increasingly streamlined design.

Moving on, BlackBerry’s modern operating system looks like iOS at first glance, as you swipe left and right to sort through app icons. But this time, the left edge takes you to a screen of small windows representing apps you’ve recently accessed, which is handy if unsightly. Going left one more time takes you to BlackBerry Hub, which is BlackBerry’s mash of all your emails, Facebook notifications, BBM messages and other notifications in one place.

BlackBerry wasn’t about to let itself be the only smartphone without a voice system, so a dedicated button on the side opens BlackBerry Assistant. There, you can use voice to open apps, compose BBM messages, check Facebook, make calls and more. It understood me well and stands up fine to the other systems — it’s probably my favorite new addition.

Unfortunately, everything’s downhill from here. Let’s start with the keyboard. Yes, it’s well-made and fairly easy to use. Yet it can feel a little cramped if you’re used to phablets, which have virtual keyboards that are bigger. Commonly accessed characters like numbers, the at symbol and periods require an additional press to access alt functions, and the physical presses got a little tiring after continued use compared to virtual tapping.

Then there’s that screen, which has been compromised by all the buttons. The quality is fine, but it’s relatively tiny. And, since it’s square, there’s no rotating for a bigger look. Movie trailers from YouTube looked awful on it.

Let’s go back to the buttons. Sure, the action button can allow you to thumb selections up and down, and then depress it. But when touch is faster, why is it even there? Why is there a dedicated button to open the phone menu, when there isn’t a dedicated button for mute? Only a lengthy Internet search revealed to me you have to hold down the Q key to mute and unmute.

This messiness extends to the software, which can be a dizzying labyrinth of menus within menus. BlackBerry Hub in particular is a mess, with no less than three separate submenus. Incidentally, Hub is the only way to check email. Thankfully, you can filter out everything but the email, but you have to manually do that every time. Every other function within Hub has their own dedicated app — why not email?

Apps are an odd can of worms. There are still precious few apps offered through the BlackBerry store, but it also offers the 330,000 Android apps ported over through Amazon. While that’s a handy improvement — even if some biggies like Instagram and Uber are still missing — all the ones I tried had varying degrees of choppiness, from minor levels in Crossy Road to “throw the phone against the wall” levels in the Weather Channel app.

Though native apps are less choppy, they take a strangely long time to load. The performance of the custom Web browser can vary, as it handled the Tulsa World’s relatively complex full website well but choked on the menu button on CNN’s mobile website. Thankfully the camera software worked fine, but the eight megapixel shots looked strangely washed-out.

Unfortunately, I’ll have to wrap up the same way I wrapped up the last few BlackBerry reviews. The Classic is far and away the best BlackBerry ever made, and fans can get plenty done once they learn all the menu paths. But pretty much every other modern phone that’s not a counterfeit sold under a bridge performs much better.For a video review of the BlackBerry Classic, visit tulsaworldtv.com.
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    03-24-15 03:10 PM
    Hahahhahahah that video was comical! He didn't even know what the trackpad was! Thanks for this, as much as I disagree with the reviewer's opinions, it was worth a good laugh
    dbollman423 and kayyourcool like this.
    03-24-15 04:32 PM
    This reviewer is obviously out to lunch. How can a grown man be so stupid. Obviously he prefers an iPhone, but he should have done some homework before attempting to review the phone.

I'm a BlackBerry fan, but I can appreciate some of the good points about the iPhone 6, 6+.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 04:50 PM
    This guy didn't have it long enough for the battery to adjust.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:53 PM
    Most of that was typical all touch bias and not knowing the OS.

It's fine to mock him, but really isn't that the typical non-BB user's view of BlackBerry these days? People have a device and OS they know, and there isn't anything obvious on the new BlackBerries to tempt people to go out of their way to learn a new OS.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 12:05 PM
    It was worth a laugh, mind you I only read half of it. It's typical of what you get with an unregulated medium with naive consumers.
    Everyone with a keyboard becomes a "journalist" minus the education part. I wish some of them had enough pride in themselves to at least do enough research to make an informed commentary.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    03-25-15 12:43 PM
    WOW was this a serious "review" of the phone? First, he compared the Classic to the iPhone 6 PLUS? Of course the screen size of the Classic is going to be smaller than the PLUS?!?!

Also, I don't think he really gave it a try, since he didn't even know how to turn it on/wake it up, as he pushed the power button on top and just not use the gestures. BTW, he was struggling with turning on his iPhone, that made me laugh.

The thing that gets me, is that he didn't actually talk about the phone, specs, the market they are trying to aim at, etc. He talked about apps and watching YouTube videos. Yes the phone can do that if we are bored, but it's mainly a communication device.

WOW, this guy shouldn't give reviews anymore.
    dbollman423 likes this.
    03-25-15 01:35 PM
    This guy didn't have it long enough for the battery to adjust.

Posted via CB10
    Never understood the battery needs to "adjust" comment. My iPhones never seem to need adjusting. Why does a blackberry? Seems to me that the "adjustment" comes with the novelty wearing off and the phone being used less... thoughts?
    03-26-15 12:19 AM
    Hahahahahahaha......just watched it....total joke of a review AND a Reviewer!!!!
    03-26-15 02:24 AM
    Never understood the battery needs to "adjust" comment. My iPhones never seem to need adjusting. Why does a blackberry? Seems to me that the "adjustment" comes with the novelty wearing off and the phone being used less... thoughts?
    Because the iPhone probably doesn't default to sync everything... and run everything in the background.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 02:32 AM
    That is one funny, ignorant video. Chuckled multiple times.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 12:47 PM
    I just think that the battery is going to be under a lot of stress trying to update apps and download cached data when it is new and hasn't cycled a few times. Add in that he had 4-6 apps already running.

Posted via CB10
    sallenthornton likes this.
    03-26-15 04:40 PM
    OMG that dude is stupid! ACTION BUTTON...HAHAHAHAHA...
    04-26-15 07:25 PM
    That guy is a clown !

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 08:17 PM
    Seriously! If one proclaims himself to be fit to review gadgets, and didn't do his homework, calling a track pad a "some sort of action button, that he doesn't understand what the point is", then just go home and sit on the couch!!

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:16 PM
    WOW was this a serious "review" of the phone? First, he compared the Classic to the iPhone 6 PLUS? Of course the screen size of the Classic is going to be smaller than the PLUS?!?!
    He was making a point regarding the weight of the device, not the size. He used the iPhone 6 plus as an example of a much bigger device, yet the Classic is heavier.
    04-27-15 05:00 PM