12-27-13 09:12 PM
37 12
tools
    Samsung already has the consumer space why does it have to attack the pentagon and enterprise.

Why not leave it to BlackBerry and live in harmony. Greedy company.
    Face. Palm.

They have every right to expand. That doesn't mean the product they put out will be any good, no matter how many glitzy commercials they run.
    12-26-13 11:31 AM
    Face. Palm.

They have every right to expand. That doesn't mean the product they put out will be any good, no matter how many glitzy commercials they run.
    Lol, noted.

That was just a personal opinion.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 11:57 AM
    KNOX just shows why it would be stupid for BlackBerry to go to Android like many people say. If Samsung is still unable to secure android after having put a ton of $ towards it, it just shows how hard of a job it is to secure.

Security starts at the bottom. You can't build security on top of a shaky foundation & not expect problems.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^ Bingo.
    12-27-13 08:04 AM
    Samsung Knox found to have a "serious vulnerability"

"With the fall of BlackBerry, companies are scrambling to pick up the enterprise market share that is up for grabs. Samsung desperately wants to make a dent in that space, but a new "serious vulnerability" found in Samsung's Knox security software could make that quite a bit more difficult. ......"

and

"The news of this flaw comes at a bad time for Samsung, as the U.S. Department of Defense has just purchased about 500 Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones to test. If the devices are deemed to be secure, they would be used in the Pentagon. Of course, a government spokesman was clear to say that no devices would be used if they weren't found to be secure."
    The devices are already approved for use (S3 and S4), not sure where this quote got it's information. They can be removed of course, but with the multi vendor MDM solution about to go online that seems unlikely. Procurement would have already started (and iOS devices are in the mix too)
    12-27-13 08:32 AM
    KNOX just shows why it would be stupid for BlackBerry to go to Android like many people say. If Samsung is still unable to secure android after having put a ton of $ towards it, it just shows how hard of a job it is to secure.

Security starts at the bottom. You can't build security on top of a shaky foundation & not expect problems.

Posted via CB10
    KNOX is NOT Samsung's major play into the secure space. They have a device coming that is significantly more secure, created in conjunction with NSA and Cisco. THAT is what BB needs to worry about, not this BYOD version of a secure device.
    12-27-13 08:33 AM
    KNOX is NOT Samsung's major play into the secure space. They have a device coming that is significantly more secure, created in conjunction with NSA and Cisco. THAT is what BB needs to worry about, not this BYOD version of a secure device.
    But it will still be built on Android, right? And if we consider KNOX a proof of concept for this new device, well, it fails.
    12-27-13 12:14 PM
    But it will still be built on Android, right? And if we consider KNOX a proof of concept for this new device, well, it fails.
    Knox isnt the proof of concept, it is something to satisfy the BYOD crowd. KNOX is NOT what Samsung is going to be offering government agencies long term. Think of it as a stop gap measure until their AndroidSE device is released. Significantly more secure, from the ground up and will be released will all appropriate NIST and NSA approvals.
    12-27-13 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    That could not have been worded better and a shaky foundation it is. I think it's ludicrous for anyone to believe they could secure Linux after borking it up so much with Android. Linux in and of itself can be quite the secure OS provided the efforts are made to make it happen, I've put in enough work on my Slackware tower to attest to that, but Android, that massive Java layer of openness, I only understand a handful of the immediate screwups of making such an open offering, I'm sure securing that code goes far beyond my comprehension and suffice it to say, even Samsung's money isn't succeeding at that game just yet. Given enough time though, who knows.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    12-27-13 12:31 PM
    Knox isnt the proof of concept, it is something to satisfy the BYOD crowd. KNOX is NOT what Samsung is going to be offering government agencies long term. Think of it as a stop gap measure until their AndroidSE device is released. Significantly more secure, from the ground up and will be released will all appropriate NIST and NSA approvals.
    "NSA approvals" alone gives me cause for concern, forgetting for the moment that I already don't trust Google as far as I can throw Larry Page.
    12-27-13 12:46 PM
    KNOX does not equal Android.

I suspect this is what Sith is gently trying to get across...

Secure Android kernels do exist for those that want it.
    12-27-13 01:36 PM
    Maybe Samsung and KNOX is the reason why BlackBerry or Chen us focusing more on enterprise. If they loose the enterprise market they're pretty much screwed.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not really. Android is built on the Linux kernel, which is very secure. There have been Android builds, even NSA Android builds, that are very secure.

Many of the sensationalized security flaws are just that... Sensationalized.

Anybody who's maintained a Linux box knows that quite often programs/apps receive security updates whenever it's discovered that an app can be forced to crash, which in itself is technically a security risk (though the risk is so astronomicaly infeasible it's not worth losing sleep over).

Every platform experiences the same. Even BBOS/BB10. The difference though, is that Android/Linux being open, also makes it a point to openly advertise flaws. Whereas proprietary OS's tend to keep the flaws under wraps. Yes, proprietary OS's encounter their fair share of similar security flaws too. They're simply not openly advertised or admitted to. Anybody who honestly believes thatbBBOS or BB10 is bullet proof, is just fooling themselves. They're just blissfully ignorant. Why do you think so many minor OS updates release with with a change log with a very vague "bug fix" description?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    12-27-13 09:12 PM
37 12