08-18-17 03:03 AM
117 ... 345
tools
    I remember when owning a blackberry was cool or at least something surprising.

I went off to college after 9/11/01. One of the things my dad remembered was that Blackberries were the only devices that worked, because cell towers were overloaded, but e-mails went through. So when I went to college in DC, I went off with a Blackberry. I can't remember which model it was, but based on a quick internet search, I think it was a 7230 or something similar. I was the only one of my friends with a smartphone/Blackberry, and one of my best friends was quick to defend me and say I had a Blackberry, but not a Crackberry problem.

When a group of us were trying to drive someplace and didn't have MapQuest directions, we tried to navigate using my blackberry. It didn't work too well, but we did get where we were going. It worked far better when one of my best friends/roommates wanted sports scores when we were having dinner.

Now, people are still surprised when they find out I have a blackberry but for a very different reason. Many people are surprised that Blackberries still exist in the wild. When a store/company starts to tell me about their app, my standard line is "I'm one of the last Blackberry users in North America." It usually gets a laugh and no one gives me a hard time.

When it comes to talking to people about Blackberry, I often use the old Tareyton Cigarettes slogan "I'd rather fight than switch."
    You aren't alone. I use a BlackBerry daily. Android is second-last choice for anything apps, and it is a second device. Not even an apps person, in fact, most of them just embed the mobile site, offering little to no difference.
    05-23-17 12:15 AM
    Sure I remember when BlackBerry's were cool. How could I ever forget!
    If you could afford one it was definitely the phone to have back in the day. Push email blew my mind! But the keyboard... the KEYBOARD! On a Blackberry I could write an email as well (or better) than on my laptop. When everyone else was texting gibberish I was blowing friends up with mistake free sentence after sentence. Calls were loud and clear, and my battery lasted for a full day+. I had over 100 BBM contacts from around the world and was a member of several active BBM groups.

Those were great days!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.3.2049
    05-23-17 01:55 AM
    When I'm reading a novel that was written six or seven years ago there's always a character who uses a BlackBerry to make a call. What a blast from the past.
    05-23-17 09:12 AM
    So true
    05-28-17 10:04 AM
    This were the days, Bold 9000, 9870, 9900. Now with a Priv and I not don't feel as special
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-29-17 03:02 PM
    Well, it's not a complete write-off, folks. I had my PRIV open at church yesterday and a 16 year old who comes from a family that has iPods/iPads wandered by and remarked on how cool it was that it slid open like that.

I have also moved my wife from an iPhone 5c (itty-bitty narrow thing with only 8g) to a PRIV - she doesn't even open it and I'm not going to make her do that, but so far she's OK with it, despite the learning curve.

She plays games, texts, emails and FB - works well for her except that we run into battery issues - I have actually started using the mobile FB web site to get away from the enormous battery drain.
    05-29-17 05:51 PM
    efficient data compression? That goes on the WGAS list of things average consumers are looking for in a mobile device.

Salesman: Now take this BB device, it's not good in many areas where iPhone or Android excel but it has efficient data compression!

Customer: HUH?!?!?
    if thats' all you care about why are you here?
    06-12-17 07:01 PM
    I remember when converse all stars were cool.
    06-12-17 07:11 PM
    OK that was before blackberry was cool lol
    06-13-17 08:37 AM
    Even thought they may not be "cool" anymore, they can still draw attention just like they did years ago.
    07-19-17 05:37 PM
    I still think that owning a BlackBerry is cool. I'm a remote associate that works from home and I get positive feedback on my PRIV whenever I go into the office.
    07-27-17 08:13 AM
    I've been rocking a white passport for the last 10 days! When people see it, ask about this "new blackberry" and they look amazed by what it does... don't care if it's cool or not rocking it, I care that it works best for me! But it does turn heads!
    07-27-17 09:41 AM
    I've been rocking a white passport for the last 10 days! When people see it, ask about this "new blackberry" and they look amazed by what it does... don't care if it's cool or not rocking it, I care that it works best for me! But it does turn heads!
    I saw my cousin this month, and before that it has been years. He had a white Passport and he is doing everything he can to keep it alive because he loves it and he recently was ordering parts for it off eBay. (I didn't ask)

He says that since moving to the US he never sees another Blackberry, let alone a white one.
    07-27-17 06:33 PM
    I WHEN I got my first BlackBerry phone in 2004, it was not considered "cool" by anyone I know. It was a useful business tool, and nothing else.

That's still how I think about my Z10, by the way. There is nothing "cool" or fashionable about any smartphone as far as I can see. My experience is that the people who use them the most are the least cool people I know.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-27-17 06:43 PM
    RIM's damaged brand...
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...WTSvB8YIc7qIXyhttp://www.cellphonen.com/ip/i/mobil...erry-7100i.jpghttp://www.dodevice.com/wp-content/u...erry-7130c.jpg

Just a few years ago, Research In Motion Ltd. smartphones were status symbols with unsurpassed cachet. In the fall of 2009, even as RIM struggled to weather the global economic downturn, it appeared as though the company was on the verge of a breakthrough with the BlackBerry brand.

At the time, RIM was in the midst of an expansion from a company that sold smartphones mainly to CEOs and MPs to one that also sold pink devices capable of accessing Facebook to soccer moms and teenagers.

Such Hollywood tastemakers as Lady GaGa and Kim Kardashian all appeared to be on Team BlackBerry and even the most powerful man on Earth, newly elected United States President Barack Obama, talked up the importance of his BlackBerry.

Fast-forward two years and it's startling to see just how far RIM's brand star has fallen.

Read More =�
    BlackBerry should reintroduce this smartphone.
    08-14-17 02:38 AM
    BlackBerry should reintroduce this smartphone.
    Fick yeah, as an android device for darn sure!!!! Next year however. The 7290 I have too.
    08-14-17 03:35 AM
    My first blackberry was the 9700. I didn't even know about blackberry back in 2010. My contract with Nokia was expiring and my carrier vodafone had a special deal with the bold. It was love at first sight. Amazing looking phone, nice top curves, the leather back, keyboard, flashing red led, it looked amazing. Ever since been a blackberry loyalist, and the only one among many people still with a blackberry. After that the bold 9900, classic, now the keyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-17 03:03 AM
117 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD