08-18-17 03:03 AM
117 123 ...
tools
    RIM's damaged brand...

Just a few years ago, Research In Motion Ltd. smartphones were status symbols with unsurpassed cachet. In the fall of 2009, even as RIM struggled to weather the global economic downturn, it appeared as though the company was on the verge of a breakthrough with the BlackBerry brand.

At the time, RIM was in the midst of an expansion from a company that sold smartphones mainly to CEOs and MPs to one that also sold pink devices capable of accessing Facebook to soccer moms and teenagers.

Such Hollywood tastemakers as Lady GaGa and Kim Kardashian all appeared to be on Team BlackBerry and even the most powerful man on Earth, newly elected United States President Barack Obama, talked up the importance of his BlackBerry.

Fast-forward two years and it's startling to see just how far RIM's brand star has fallen.

Read More =
    09-23-11 07:51 PM
    OP, you are gonna be lumped in with the nefarious BGR and Wall Street analysts for posting this article. Invest in a flame suit now!
    09-23-11 07:54 PM
    hehe is what i got to my RRS, email from Google news .
    09-23-11 07:59 PM
    Blackberrys are cool IMO this is just negative PR being thrown at RIM! Sure the numbers are bad but not that bad! The company by now realizes what it has to do and the latest devices show that.
    09-23-11 08:03 PM
    Seriously, I do remember when BB was it. When I got mine, it was truly the best device for my needs. The prestige was extra.
    09-23-11 08:04 PM
    Remember when there wasn't thousands of stupid topics like this one on CrackBerry?
    Come on unknownerror, your posts are usually far better than this
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 09-23-11 at 08:42 PM.
    09-23-11 08:13 PM
    Lol... From my short experience a lot of individuals who I met that have a blackberry don't see a reason to upgrade because their blackberry does bbm and texting so well. It is really sad because my bold 9900 isn't "cool" whatsoever!
    09-23-11 08:33 PM
    I don't care if owning a blackberry is soo, or no longer is cool. As long as you are satisfied, you shouldn't be complaining. That's my two cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 09:04 PM
    I think the pics chosen by the OP are not when blackberry was cool, it was after that when they became cool and while it might be nice for them to be cool again, the more important thing is for them to be in demand rather than just being cool because the latter is fickle and more prone to changes.

Look at the current situation, the iphone is considered to be cooler than android, but android seems to be more in demand these days.
    09-24-11 06:04 AM
    OP do not confuse RIM's troubles with the BlackBerry phone's ability to take care of today's business.

Make no mistake, my BlackBerry fulfils all my current business needs. I want nothing more. I have a decent keyboard (try that thick on an iToy) and a stable OS.

The company may be in decline but their products are still, imo the best on the market. My 7290 was cool when I got it years ago and my 9780 is STILL COOL TODAY.
    Last edited by 4Q2; 09-24-11 at 06:13 AM.
    09-24-11 06:11 AM
    It is not what it used to be.

RIM used to comfortable and depend on it's corporate sales for most of it's business. When that dried up they had to fight for the consumer's market. They never had to compete until now and it shows that there is no way they can keep up with Android or even Apple.

RIM also put way too much time into the Playbook and ignored it's phone customer base. This was a HUGE mistake as the Playbook flopped big time and being discounted at Walmart and Best Buy and waiting for a class action suit from it's stranded owners that are STILL waiting for the "promises" to be fulfilled.

The sales/share numbers tell the story.

Been using BB from the 950 days with the "click-wheel" and NEVER thought I would see this. It is sad.
    Chrisy and kenshaw like this.
    09-24-11 08:10 AM
    Wait. Are you saying Android and iPhone Handsets are cooler?
    Well the people who use them at least.

Because IMO they aren't. Following the gradient was never cool, If RIM was selling like crazy it wouldn't be cool.

BlackBerries are cool. We are the minority.
    danimalchil likes this.
    09-24-11 08:46 AM
    I remember when I loved my BB. Then I got an iPad and iPod touch. Can't wait to leave BB now. Even when loading pages on my 9780, it tells me it has to "close the page because it is too large". Just happened on www.tipb.com.

RIM did it to themselves. They were late keeping up and are now paying the price. When iPhone 5 arrives my prediction is that it will absolutely kill BB sales.

When BBs were cool, they were pioneering. Now the cool phones are pioneering with better browsers, more stable OS (Apple), better apps, better cameras, and things like Facetime.

09-24-11 08:58 AM
    Wait. Are you saying Android and iPhone Handsets are cooler?
    Well the people who use them at least.

Because IMO they aren't. Following the gradient was never cool, If RIM was selling like crazy it wouldn't be cool.

BlackBerries are cool. We are the minority.
    Agree 100%. As more of the mindless mob flock to Apple and android, the less and less I want one.

"Cool" is being able to think for yourself, and not following the herd.
    Wretch 12, 3dogsnme and ksloth like this.
    09-24-11 09:53 AM
    I'm all about coolness and status. That what I base my purchases on almost exclusively.
    09-24-11 10:00 AM
    I remember when owning a Blackberry was cool. However, it's to the point where owning a cell phone and/or an ipad or a Galaxy or a Playbook is the norm. There is no "cool" factor associated with anything related to 3g or 4g technology.

Used to be what phone do you have? No it's: How much memory, what processor and how many mexapixels.
    09-24-11 10:25 AM
    Agree 100%. As more of the mindless mob flock to Apple and android, the less and less I want one.

Mindless mob? It's all about efficiency, the internet is TWICE as fast on android. If you use it a few times a day, BB costs you time. I'm nearly as fast typing on my virtual keyboard. Some people are so mindlessly loyal to BB they refuse to see how far behind BB has fallen. If the new QNX has LTE and is has the quality build of the 9900 with the app capability of an android, you'll see market share for RIM increase.

09-24-11 10:30 AM
    It still is... in the UK at least.
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    09-24-11 11:11 AM

The bad news for this line of thinking is that there's more than one herd, so establishing that you aren't following the biggest herd doesn't mean you're not following a herd.
    Rickroller and Chrisy like this.
    09-24-11 11:13 AM
    It still is... in the UK at least.
    Apple trails Android and BlackBerry in UK handset market - IT News from V3.co.uk

"In a report just published, the company found that, in the 12 weeks up to August (2011) this year, Google's Android platform represented 47.1 per cent of the smartphone market in this (UK) country, with RIM's BlackBerry devices accounting for 21.5 per cent and Apple's iPhone models close behind on 20.8 per cent"
    09-24-11 11:19 AM

But to counteract what I said, getting a BlackBerry because its cool is uncool as well. Lol.

Its a very confusing word.

09-24-11 11:42 AM
    Mindless mob? It's all about efficiency, the internet is TWICE as fast on android. If you use it a few times a day, BB costs you time. I'm nearly as fast typing on my virtual keyboard. Some people are so mindlessly loyal to BB they refuse to see how far behind BB has fallen. If the new QNX has LTE and is has the quality build of the 9900 with the app capability of an android, you'll see market share for RIM increase.

I agree, and without turning it into a contest, that's where BB excels. If you have thousands of emails and need to find the needle in they haystack BB is the way to go.

If you only do this once a day, you've already saved time over the competitors.

I hate surfing on my phone, okay hate is strong word, I dislike surfing on my S2. I dislike surfing on the iphone4 even more for reasons I'm not sure off.

That's why I have a tablet.

Actually you materially can't do more with an iphone 4 than my S2, with the exception of the browser. You do it differently, but I can still surf, have voice by voice navigation and play games when I'm at 30,000 feet on my S2.

Email handling on my ipad stinks, BB has a raised bar that still hasn't been reached and I don't use the native client, I use webmail on the ipad.

BB may be behind of hardware, but their software is still better than the competition, because it let's me work with the device better than the competition.
    09-24-11 11:43 AM
    Hey Guys,
    Don't get me wrong here, i love all the BlackBerry devices What RIM came out especially my 9810 and Play book.

But this article what i post here is not to rage or upset Users, i posted because i was thinking is worth sharing what some ppl say about RIM and they're devices but they dont know even 10% of what a BlackBerry device does or what is the best of this device and that's why RIM is where it is Now cause of the bad publicity.

BlackBerry is a Powerful Device and it will be for most of us here on CB.

PEACE!
    09-24-11 11:58 AM
    Who cares if it is cool or not? It's a freakin electronic device. If you people honestly think someone is cooler for owning a certain type of device you are a bunch of children.

The device being able to perform well is all that matters. Cool factor plays no part in my purchase of a smartphone.
    09-24-11 12:13 PM
    Remember when wearing your sweatshirt backwards and inside out was cool? You know you did it!
    09-24-11 12:21 PM
117 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD