11-22-13 07:42 AM
28 12
tools
    Release of Luxury Z10 Smartphone Only Sinks Embattled BlackBerry Further; Stocks Dip Below $6 - International Business Times

Obviously there were contractual agreements in place to make this puppy, but honestly I can see where the market is coming from. The Porsche design is something a winning brand would release. Not one struggling for it's life.
    11-20-13 10:37 PM
    Well that's a bummer
    11-20-13 10:55 PM
    Yes im sure the release of the limited edition p9982 was the reason their stock went down today. And guess what? They will sell every one of them.
    Brutal Efficiency likes this.
    11-20-13 11:03 PM
    11-20-13 11:10 PM
    Stock continues to flounder. The embattled smartphone maker has made many mistakes
    11-21-13 12:08 AM
    Stock continues to flounder. The embattled smartphone maker has made many mistakes
    When Blackberry eventually dies for real that should be plastered on their grave stone.
    anon(5624621) and qwerty4ever like this.
    11-21-13 12:11 AM
    Urrg But the point of the phone isn't to compete. I wish people would understand that . I go crazy when I hear in reviews that you can get a better phone for less than half the price. It's not meant be a phone for the average Joe's to get. It's a phone for the rich to use as a status symbol. That why it's branded Porsche Design .

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    11-21-13 12:15 AM
    Urrg But the point of the phone isn't to compete. I wish people would understand that . I go crazy when I hear in reviews that you can get a better phone for less than half the price. It's not meant be a phone for the average Joe's to get. It's a phone for the rich to use as a status symbol. That why it's branded Porsche Design .

The timing is off. If BB10 phones are selling like crazy, releasing a limited edition Luxury phone makes sense. With dismal and diminishing sales and coming up with a Porsche model with Z10 innards, this comes out more as a joke with false sense of reality.
    Etios, garnok, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    11-21-13 12:21 AM
    Hard to know. The price on those is so high BlackBerry has to be making money on any that are sold. I think that Porsche bold sold ok.

Nor sure about this one though. Might not do as well. We'll see.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-21-13 12:47 AM

This is EXACTLY why these Porche phones are an idiotic idea.
    Air Force One and qwerty4ever like this.
    11-21-13 12:54 AM
    Meh. Of course the stock is going to sink, the market is thinking that BlackBerry is releasing this high dollar device in hopes of helping the company turnaround. When, in fact, this high dollar device is not for most of us. It is there for folks like Kevin to buy. =) I am not really concerned about such things. As long as BlackBerry is still around, I could care less about the stock. I know way too much about stocks at this point. I want to get back to knowing about devices.
    11-21-13 01:06 AM
    I'm certain that the recent drop in share price is wholly unrelated to the Porsche Design Z10. Media outlets are always quick to attribute stock price movement to this or that without any evidence due to an innate need to attribute stock movements to something. The Porsche Design Z10 is too immaterial to Blackberry (success or failure) to cause any meaningful stock movement.

Of course, personally, I think the Porsche Design Z10 will do fine. There is a niche market for ultra luxury smartphones and this niche happens to have absolutely no regard for specs or OS or the device's actual functionality. For a long time, Vertu raked in tons from selling gemstone encrusted Symbian phones even while significantly better smartphones were available.
    11-21-13 01:11 AM
    When Blackberry eventually dies for real that should be plastered on their grave stone.
    Really? That's the first time I heard that line

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 01:31 AM
    How do ppl know about this phone and not the launch of the Z30?

Fired from my Z10
    11-21-13 03:10 AM
    I suspect the drop in share price is more to do with the ongoing deafening silence from BBRY hq.
    It's becoming very embarrassing.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-21-13 04:09 AM
    When you put the cart before the horse, people are bound to look on and question your sanity.

If you standing in a lake of gasoline, striking a match is not wise.
    11-21-13 04:38 AM
    How do ppl know about this phone and not the launch of the Z30?

Fired from my Z10
    Very few of the general buying public would know about either, really. The Porsche Design thingy will get flogged at all the high end stores like Harrods etc but Oil Sheiks and nubes with more money than sense are harder to come by.
    11-21-13 04:39 AM
    Very few of the general buying public would know about either, really. The Porsche Design thingy will get flogged at all the high end stores like Harrods etc but Oil Sheiks and nubes with more money than sense are harder to come by.
    Are they now? There are all sorts of stories out there saying that the 1% is doing very, very well these days. And as long as the consuming public make millionaires out of winners of reality shows and dream of becoming the next Kardashian, there will be plenty of demand for conspicuous consumption (bling) out there.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 07:18 AM
    Are they now? There are all sorts of stories out there saying that the 1% is doing very, very well these days. And as long as the consuming public make millionaires out of winners of reality shows and dream of becoming the next Kardashian, there will be plenty of demand for conspicuous consumption (bling) out there.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that they look for items that not only make them look wealthy, but also 'smart' (as in, they're "in the know" of what is the best). Although whether BB10 is superior might be debatable, the fact that it is not widely viewed as superior is absolutely not.

Honestly, they should have scrapped that baby and met their commitments with a P' [(Z30)+1080p screen]. You'd get the thinner side bezel look (more modern) and the wealthy can laugh at our plebeian 295ppi Z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 07:34 AM
    This phone was designed likley over a year ago, back when Blackberry had better hopes. It is not the reason the stock is going down.

The new CEO needs to announce what he is going to do to make Blackberry relevant. It is the lack of new that drives the stock down. We need to hear something positive. It will be hard.
    11-21-13 07:55 AM
    Urrg But the point of the phone isn't to compete.

Apparently that statement could be said about every BlackBerry 10 phone released to date based on sales and the inability of BlackBerry to price any of the phones appropriately.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-21-13 08:50 AM
    I realize that this phone has been committed to and contracted for some time but what still irks me is that BB didn't want to devote anymore time, resources, and money towards the Playbook and it's 2 or 3 million users but they spent to make this phone that I guarantee will have far less users.

Not that they had to completely bring BB10 to the Playbook but they could've completed a much more thorough Bridge to make it more usable with our new phones. Or even did something more with the Android runtime for it.

The Porsche project should've been axed a while ago. It's a glaring example of poor planning and priorities as far as I am concerned. It looks ridiculous being launched now with the way everything is going.
    11-21-13 09:49 AM
    Funny how the Nexus 4 gets a pass as an "exotic" phone around here for its relatively dismal sales while this phone, which is clearly designed for a very limited audience (and therefore likely in very limited numbers) and NOT as the company-saver gets flak.
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    11-21-13 10:14 AM
    Funny how the Nexus 4 gets a pass as an "exotic" phone around here for its relatively dismal sales
    The Nexus 4 sold about 5M phones and had an advertising budget of $0 and was available on a single (and the smallest) US carrier.

BB spent about half a billion on advertising and marketing for BB10, and had them available at all carriers, and has sold 3M or so.

See the difference?
    garnok, JeepBB, Etios and 1 others like this.
    11-21-13 12:38 PM
    The Nexus 4 sold about 5M phones and had an advertising budget of $0 and was available on a single (and the smallest) US carrier.

BB spent about half a billion on advertising and marketing for BB10, and had them available at all carriers, and has sold 3M or so.

See the difference?
    I guess you took "relative" to mean "relative to BB10." I meant other Android based phones, and smartphones in general. And 5 million? It was 1 million by 2/12, and 3 million by end of Q2. You're telling me they sold as many units in Q3 as they did in the seven months prior, despite the upcoming (at that time) launch of the Nexus 5?
    11-21-13 01:46 PM
28 12