When dealing with statistics or analysis, each will take an angle and serve its purpose.
    I suggest, for a change, to read this approach.
    Of course, it is BlackBerry P.R, of course one may say it's "propaganda".
    I for one would at least give it a chance and read (as well as the numerous references included) this interesting piece; I won't quote parts, it's a whole.

The Realities of Smartphone Market Share «Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

Take your time, before firing the famous "oh, well and where is BlackBerry today ?"
    This article worth much more than a easy rant.
    Instead, I ask the question : where is the money [BB can grab] ?

P.S: sorry but it's almost 2 AM here: dady's eyes need rest
    ibpluto and Shanerredflag like this.
    11-29-13 06:53 PM
    Interesting article. I'm still bullish on BlackBerry so I'm waiting to see how the next couple years pan out.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 08:25 PM
    They bring up valid points and no doubt there is a lot of bias when it comes to reporting platform competitiveness.

That said, consultancies like The Yankee Group often have their own axe to grind, and spew out "studies" that tend to "prove" whatever their client wants them to prove.

Honestly I can't keep track of which ones are more or less credible at any given point in time, there are so many junk "analysts" out there.

I have said repeatedly that there is a truly mind-boggling entrenched negativity towards BlackBerry in the USA. That certainly does NOT discount that BlackBerry has done plenty of shooting themselves in the foot because they certainly have - it's just that it seems that every journalist and pundit here almost like clockwork takes BlackBerry news and spins it 20% more in the negative direction than it already is.
    Superfly_FR, rarsen and sickyute like this.
    11-29-13 08:30 PM
    The Realities of Smartphone Market Share
    The only reality that matters is the next earnings report.
    11-30-13 06:30 PM
    All the reality I need is in the quarterly financial reports issued by blackberry.

I dont place much value on cryptic blog posts that include literary quotes from Mark Twain lol.
    11-30-13 06:42 PM
    I dont place much value on cryptic blog posts that include literary quotes from Mark Twain lol.

Mark Twain is always good to read.
    11-30-13 06:53 PM
    :
    where is the money [BB can grab] ?
    Humm I think the money they can grab is sitting in bbm unfortunately since it now cross platform add the missing features like video, screen share and file transfers could all be monetized. Pay per kB or meg or per year.Knowing that your communications and transfers are secure.
    An be free for those who own a device.
    Then of course there is BlackBerry Enterprise on the business side.
    11-30-13 09:12 PM
    Humm I think the money they can grab is sitting in bbm unfortunately since it now cross platform add the missing features like video, screen share and file transfers could all be monetized. Pay per kB or meg or per year.Knowing that your communications and transfers are secure.
    An be free for those who own a device.
    Then of course there is BlackBerry Enterprise on the business side.
    Short: money = services. services = enterprises. money with BBM is one of the enterprise services focus.
    12-01-13 10:37 AM
    Don't think they are in a position to "grab" any money. They are going to have to WORK for it.

Just like BLackBerry allowed others to take the smartphone market from them, their slowness to react and to innovate has allowed others to take over both MDM and IM. BlackBerry has a "shot" to hold or regain marketshare in in MDM, but they really need hardware to support them. Their MDM "services" are not the best option for companies looking to support "other" hardware.... yes they can do it, but BES10 doesn't do it well yet. They need to quickly change that.

As for IM... they have a long ways yet to go for BBMx to be a true contender, and all the while the other IM guys are also improving and bringing newer and better features.

As for Realities.... Look at the information from BlackBerry's own last four Earnings Reports - The last few that showed rapid declines in subscribers (before they stopped reporting those), and the sales numbers for ALL BlackBerry Devices. THOSE are the realities that no survey or market poll can really spin into anything but what it is.

There is no doubt that there is potential - the question is does BlackBerry have the understanding of how to turn that potential into a company that can make a profit. The STORM had potential, the PLAYBOOK had potential, the new BB10 platform had potential....
    12-02-13 08:23 AM
    Don't think they are in a position to "grab" any money. They are going to have to WORK for it.

Just like BLackBerry allowed others to take the smartphone market from them, their slowness to react and to innovate has allowed others to take over both MDM and IM. BlackBerry has a "shot" to hold or regain marketshare in in MDM, but they really need hardware to support them. Their MDM "services" are not the best option for companies looking to support "other" hardware.... yes they can do it, but BES10 doesn't do it well yet. They need to quickly change that.

As for IM... they have a long ways yet to go for BBMx to be a true contender, and all the while the other IM guys are also improving and bringing newer and better features.

As for Realities.... Look at the information from BlackBerry's own last four Earnings Reports - The last few that showed rapid declines in subscribers (before they stopped reporting those), and the sales numbers for ALL BlackBerry Devices. THOSE are the realities that no survey or market poll can really spin into anything but what it is.

There is no doubt that there is potential - the question is does BlackBerry have the understanding of how to turn that potential into a company that can make a profit. The STORM had potential, the PLAYBOOK had potential, the new BB10 platform had potential....
    "grab" is my Mhhhhooooooo for "find", "locate". The place where they are still able to collect $, right now.
    That's the way I meant it, sry.
    Then, I agree with most of the above, until this "the new BB10 platform had potential" ... let's make it "has".
    12-02-13 10:17 AM
    Nobody notices the obvious omission in this report? It doesn't cover Future intent, so it's easy to talk to legacy customers but I bet there is a very solid reason they omit that...
    12-02-13 12:46 PM
    Nobody notices the obvious omission in this report? It doesn't cover Future intent, so it's easy to talk to legacy customers but I bet there is a very solid reason they omit that...
    Because the article is about how analysis can be interpreted ?
    12-02-13 12:51 PM
    I'll stick with HAD.

Sorry but the BB10 ship sailed away several months ago. Yes I like the OS, Yes I think there is potential, and Yes the leaks show how much better it has gotten.... But I don't think that an OS alone is going to overcome all the mistakes and the reputation that BlackBerry has created for themselves among consumers.

Maybe the find a small niche among enterprise and government along with a few prosumers. But that will be at less that 1% of the overall market and far below where they are today.

If you think that carriers didn't support the Z30, what do you think will happen with the next BlackBerry device?

Think that a BB10 running Android apps will be great for the enterprise niche that will pay more for the hardware and need the Apps that Andoird has. But for the Android consumer crowd, hardware & pricing are very important and BlackBerry doesn't have the scale to compete here. I don't think a different UI skin (which is all consumers will think BB10 is) is going to make a difference.

Maybe one day BlackBerry comes up with something like "push" email that will differentiate them and justify a higher price.... but right now BB10 HAD it's day in the spotlight and it failed to impress. 10.2.1.1055 is cool and I'm glad it has the APK features...
    12-03-13 02:30 PM
    Scale master, apks cannot be installed in the work perimeter. But maybe you were talking abt converted bars. Just to remind this important point.

Visit my BBM Channel !
    12-03-13 03:08 PM