Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:31 PM
    What was in the box, Kevin?

Posted via CB10
    The orange box?

Posted via CB10
    eldricho and fedakd like this.
    11-11-13 06:33 PM
    Trying hard not to get my hopes up but people on these forums did correctly report the mythical Aristo which turned out exactly as reported, save the name

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:35 PM
    Trying hard not to get my hopes up but people on these forums did correctly report the mythical Aristo which turned out exactly as reported, save the name

Posted via CB10
    There have been many cases of posters making big claims that were indeed true.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:36 PM
    Thanks Kevin. Crackberry nation eagerly awaits the news. This will be big no matter the outcome.
    11-11-13 06:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Blue pill.
    11-11-13 06:46 PM
    The first prototype BlackBerry Android handheld.
    11-11-13 06:48 PM
    There really should just be a universal app store. Kinda like how any tv can get any channel. Its silly that we have all these app stores for specific devices. Just make a minimum requirement for you app and let everyone who can, download it.
    DJM626, fedakd and R Field like this.
    11-11-13 06:52 PM
    Totally disagree. If there is no substance at all to this story BlackBerry needs to shut it down now! This is not a positive news story. Besides us BlackBerry users the general public doesn't even care. The only thing this can do if not true is make current users finally be fed up with nothing positive coming from BlackBerry and help them decide to switch platforms. It will become another waiting for nothing moment from BlackBerry. At this point not addressing it is just as bad as putting it out there themselves
    So....what you mean is YOU don't find it a positive idea. Take a look around, most people like the idea of the app gap narrowing, even if it's just making it easier to sideload the Android apps that work with the Dalvik VM.

It's only 'waiting for nothing' if there really is nothing coming. There is clearly something coming, however large or small it is, and it's clear BlackBerry can't talk about it just yet or they would have done.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 11-11-13 at 07:13 PM.
    arvind1983 likes this.
    11-11-13 07:00 PM
    This is just so silly. Far too many Android apps do not work with BB10, and many more do not have full functionality - this is one of the reasons why not every developer 'just ports' their apps to BB10. IF - IF this ever panned out, this would almost certainly not result in additional apps being available. Google would need to get permission from each developer to make the app available to BB10 handsets. Meaning each developer would need to test their apps. And again, if they were going to do this, they would have done so already.

Honestly; to think we would see Google Play Store on BB10 before BB10 has opened up all APIs (think Maps, Blue tooth, social networking) to the android runtime, AND allow all android runtimes (Maps, Services, keyboards) on BB10 is just foolish.
    Anilu7 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-11-13 07:01 PM
    Right now, Amazon doesn't get to use any of Google's services. This means no maps, no Play Store, no location APIs, and a lot of stuff that Google has moved to closed source. Right now, they either have to build all of these themselves or license them off somebody else. They've build their own application store and a lot of other stuff, but some things like maps/location services they have to license off companies like Nokia. This costs them money.

Furthermore, because OHA companies like Samsung, Asus, Acer, Lenovo... in short, the majority of electronics production companies aren't allowed to produce non-Google Android software or hardware at all, they have to pay yet even more to even produce the hardware.

If Amazon joined the OHA, they'd have to scrap their fork of the Android OS and use Google's version, but they'd also get all the Google services.

So there you have it, in a nutshell.

Posted via CB10
    The questions were rhetorical and the answers are in the second paragraph.
    11-11-13 07:07 PM
    There really should just be a universal app store. Kinda like how any tv can get any channel. Its silly that we have all these app stores for specific devices. Just make a minimum requirement for you app and let everyone who can, download it.
    Blame Apple. And corporate greed.

Apple somehow convinced the world that proprietary software in the form of apps from a pay-walled garden that only work on one OS is a great idea. It's only a great idea for Apple's bank balance.

After years of competition and technology being stifled by the Microsoft monopoly on the desktop Apple wanted to create their own monopoly too, and they had one for a while then Google copied them and stole their market share. So now we have a duopoly of incompatible proprietary software.

It could have been so different if corporate greed didn't drive the world. Java was supposed to write once run anywhere, but how do you corner the market and milk it dry with that? HTML5 apps work on pretty much any device with a modern browser, but again you can make more money by forcing your users down the proprietary platform lock-in route.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:12 PM
    Subscribed - btw - anyone else find the 'subscribe to thread' button doesn't work on the CB10 app?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:22 PM
    So....what you mean is YOU don't find it a positive idea. Take a look around, most people like the idea of the app gap narrowing, even if it's just making it easier to sideload the Android apps that work with the Dalvik VM.

It's only 'waiting for nothing' if there really is nothing coming. There is clearly something coming, however large or small it is, and it's clear BlackBerry can't talk about it just yet or they would have done.

Posted via CB10
    Huh? Did you actually READ my post. Where did you see I didn't think it was a good idea.. YOU said even if it's not true BlackBerry should let the rumors go on. I said that is a stupid idea. If there is no substance to this rumor they should kill it now. The rest you made up in your head.
    Dr J39 likes this.
    11-11-13 07:28 PM
    Subscribed - btw - anyone else find the 'subscribe to thread' button doesn't work on the CB10 app?

Posted via CB10
    Cb10 app needs updating something fierce. There is no subscribe in the app yet. Hope it makes it in the update.

Sent from my ME173X using CB Forums mobile app
    11-11-13 07:28 PM
    Blame Apple. And corporate greed.

Apple somehow convinced the world that proprietary software in the form of apps from a pay-walled garden that only work on one OS is a great idea. It's only a great idea for Apple's bank balance.

After years of competition and technology being stifled by the Microsoft monopoly on the desktop Apple wanted to create their own monopoly too, and they had one for a while then Google copied them and stole their market share. So now we have a duopoly of incompatible proprietary software.

It could have been so different if corporate greed didn't drive the world. Java was supposed to write once run anywhere, but how do you corner the market and milk it dry with that? HTML5 apps work on pretty much any device with a modern browser, but again you can make more money by forcing your users down the proprietary platform lock-in route.

Posted via CB10
    My memory is that when the iPhone was first released, Apple's vision of apps was that they would be nothing more than mobile websites. Developer and consumer demand eventually forced them to release a native SDK so that third-party apps could work on the same footing as the Apple-supplied ones.
    11-11-13 07:29 PM
    This is my feeling as well. I love the distinct BB10 feel but can't see devs committing to the platform if their Android versions can run just as easily on BlackBerry devices.

Nonetheless, many folks are touting this as a company saving strategic move so what do I know? I just hope that the bb10 OS can continue to survive because I love it so much more than Android or IOS.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry but BlackBerry world is a graveyard already. Buried in S4bb cr@p
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-11-13 07:33 PM
    Developer and consumer demand eventually forced them to release a native SDK so that third-party apps could work on the same footing as the Apple-supplied ones.
    It wasn't developer or consumer demand that caused Apple to cave.

Jobs was adamant in not having apps until he saw the performance and functionality comparison between apps and websites. Note that this was many years ago and the neither the CPUs or internet connections were not as fast or powerful as they are now.

Many individuals on this site want to make it appear there is no technical difference between apps and mobile websites. This is untrue, now and in the foreseeable future. If that were the case, all PC programs would be through the cloud.

A phone that can only use web apps is akin to a Chromebook. Doing away with apps is completely conflicting with a vision for the future of "mobile computing".
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-11-13 07:36 PM
    Easy to say because we favor the bottom of the food chain company when it comes to smartphones. BlackBerry is reaping years of being behind the curve with the times and turning their noses up with things like tools vs toys. I wish BlackBerry did have all the apps the other platforms have. But that's not the way business works. They feel asleep at the wheel and is paying for it. I'm pretty sure the competition feels BlackBerry should share their patents if everyone wants everything to be "even"
    techvisor likes this.
    11-11-13 07:38 PM
    Cb10 app needs updating something fierce. There is no subscribe in the app yet. Hope it makes it in the update.

Sent from my ME173X using CB Forums mobile app
    Huh? Yes there is...lol
    True, the app needs work, but Subscribe is already in there.
    11-11-13 07:39 PM
    Wouldn't that be nice. Unfortunately, unlike TVs, cell phones are "lifestyle" choices, and there's a lot of brand loyalty at the moment so it's not going to happen anytime soon... How else to explain the negative back and forth when it comes to platforms.

It's practically a religion.

It's unfortunate that as users we squabble amongst each other instead of presenting a unified front and demand cross platform compatibility from everyone so these arguments can end.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 07:45 PM
    Huh? Yes there is...lol
    True, the app needs work, but Subscribe is already in there.
    you can subscribe but there's no way to look at your subscribed threads unless you comment in it and then check the section called "participated"

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:45 PM
    Blue pill.
    Dang it!! I already took the red one!

I'd much rather stay in the dark on this subject than to speculate on "what if's" that may or may not be in the box lol
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 07:53 PM
    Well Lucas has gotten his reply so I am sure Kevin did too. Google play is a no go
    Pete The Penguin and Anilu7 like this.
    11-11-13 07:57 PM
    you can subscribe but there's no way to look at your subscribed threads unless you comment in it and then check the section called "participated"

Posted via CB10

Reached Out For Official Confirmation of Google Play / Services on BlackBerry 10-img_20131677.png

BlackBerry addict

Attachment 219578
    howarmat likes this.
    11-11-13 07:58 PM
561 ... 678910 ...