11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 56789 ...
tools
    All I got from that article is that Google is concerned about compatibility. As long as BlackBerry can satisfy Google that their Runtime will meet the compatibility requirements i see no issue here. When I visit a website with a Virtual Machine, no one can tell if it's a real computer or not. It's an OS running on an OS, but it's the OS nevertheless.
    Google were concerned about Acer creating a fork of Android that wasn't blessed by Google.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:25 PM
    Amazon doesn't want Google Play. They have their own ecosystem because they want it that way, to sell their own wares.
    Amazon have their own app store because they're not a member of the OHA and have a device that runs Android yet competes with Google.

Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:27 PM
    LOL. It will be sooner than u think the truth coming out .

PS: u might want to second guess ur statement. Actually. All your statements on this thread. Just saying....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    I'd sooner trust the facts that back up why this isn't happening.

Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:29 PM
    Google were concerned about Acer creating a fork of Android that wasn't blessed by Google.

Wigley a member of the BerryLeaks team has access to more current 10.2.1xxxx runtimes. If he is hinting that there is something major in the works I trust his insight as he has hands on experience.
    grover5 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:30 PM
    You have just confirmed what I said about Free BSD being binary compatible with Linux. Thanks.

Any OS can be binary compatible as long as it has the correct ABI's.

Currently, BB10 is not binary compatible with Android. Though I never said it couldn't be.

Sorry, wrong.

I have Android apps running right now on my Z10 that have native ARM code in them and they run just fine.

The repackaging is nothing more than a wrapper, much as running Linux apps on a FreeBSD machine or running Xenix apps on a SVR3 or SVR4 machine required that the proper shared libraries be loaded along with the mapping table to trap and redirect the system call environment. Xenix (or Linux) binaries simply have a different magic number at the front of the file which tells the loader what has to be loaded in order to perform the necessary system call translations. This is no different.

The current BB10 devices are ARM CPU machines and thus are directly binary compatible with the vast majority of Android phones which also use ARM CPUs with either the same instruction set or an earlier version that is forward-compatible with what's in current BB10 devices.

You don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by tickerguy; 11-11-13 at 04:46 PM.
    11-11-13 04:32 PM
    I'd sooner trust the facts that back up why this isn't happening.

Could you please stop spamming this thread? I'm not sure why you have to argue against every post, but it's certainly getting annoying.
    11-11-13 04:32 PM
    Wigley a member of the BerryLeaks team has access to more current 10.2.1xxxx runtimes. If he is hinting get that there is something major in the works I trust his insight as he has hands on experience.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd actually like to see Google Play on Blackberry, but get real. There's a lot more pieces to the puzzle than just an Android runtime. I don't think anybody is arguing the fact that Blackberry are doing work to make this possible on the software side. But the real work is going to need to be on the negotiations side of things.
    southlander, Anilu7 and notfanboy like this.
    11-11-13 04:33 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'd actually like to see Google Play on Blackberry, but get real. There's a lot more pieces to the puzzle than just an Android runtime. I don't think anybody is arguing the fact that Blackberry are doing work to make this possible on the software side. But the real work is going to need to be on the negotiations side of things.
    What is there to get real about? In the business negotiation realm this is marginal between two companies such as BlackBerry and Google. Not as though it is a M&A etc. This is a major deal to end users however light weight in a business sense. Just business as usual.

Google wants as many end users seeing their ads as possible. BB10 would be just another vehicle.
    xiaohuaxing and theRock1975 like this.
    11-11-13 04:40 PM
    so BB can get some very nice, thick deal if they provide cover for at least some of the 6000+ Nortel patents for Google (which bought Motorola following the good ol' MAD doctrine.) A deal like this could seriously boost BB10's standing (and no, not necessarily would mean the end of native BB10 efforts.)
    No individual member of Rockstar can make side deals on the Nortel patents as Rockstar is the licensor not the members.
    Last edited by blackmoe; 11-11-13 at 04:57 PM.
    trwrt likes this.
    11-11-13 04:42 PM
    Right there is no conclusion one way or the other. And there is evidence that something is afoot -- that might turn out to be something other than what everyone is speculating anyway.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:45 PM
    Right there is no conclusion one way or the other. And there is evidence that something is afoot -- that might turn out to be something other than what everyone is speculating anyway.
    And the foot is large

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-11-13 04:47 PM
    And the foot is large

Like Big Foot large???? Lol

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:50 PM
    What exactly would be googles benefit to allowing this? 3-5 million customers? They do that in 3 days. So I don't think google would risk emulating and having a terrible experience on a platform that is obviously siding. If someone could sit here and tell me exactly what google would benefit from this deal please explain it to me? Its a rumor started because bb is looking for anything as a sign of hope of some fans of bb.

Let's just stop for a second and think this through. Would google benefit? No! Would google be willing to accept a half baked option? No! Would google be ready for complaints from bb users if an app doesn't work properly? No!

Now there is one other question we should ask which is how would paid apps be paid for? Since Google play uses google wallet for transactions in the play store which would mean that google would have to invest sometime and resources to make it work and I really doubt it would want to. If Google doesn't see the need to invest resources into WP I highly doubt bb would get any resources especially in the state it is now. If something goes wrong apps crashing , apps not working, or not downloading , who do we think is going to look bad bb or google? It will all fall back onto google and the benefit to the relationship is very low
    Anilu7 and notfanboy like this.
    11-11-13 04:51 PM
    Kevin, this won't happen as BlackBerry are not members of the OHA, Jerry from Android Central has already debunked this as nothing more than a rumour.
    Besides Balsillie said NHL or nothing. Oops wrong OHA... never mind.
    11-11-13 04:52 PM
    If anything. BlackBerry has full access to Android in house. All it would take is simple negotiations to open up more of the runtime. This may just come down to more of the runtime being opened up to end users. Allowing for easier access to apps and services.
    11-11-13 04:54 PM
    Interesting....

Quite what would happen to native BB10/BlackBerry World if this were the case, I don't know.

The concept of introducing on PlayBook is more intriguing.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:56 PM
    I am really hoping that this is going to be live soon, since we will have the best of both worlds.
    11-11-13 05:01 PM
    What is there to get real about? In the business negotiation realm this is marginal between two companies such as BlackBerry and Google. Not as though it is a M&A etc. This is a major deal to end users however light weight in a business sense. Just business as usual.

Google wants as many end users seeing their ads as possible. BB10 would be just another vehicle.
    This is what I'm saying to get real about. You make it sound like its basically a done deal with just the formalities left. Firstly, you have absolutely zero concrete evidence. Any actual evidence we have (OHA terms, etc) would seem to be to the contrary. I get that you're super pumped, lots of folks are. That's great, but you're reaching extremely far thinking that this is just "business as usual". If Google were to agree to this, it would be setting a huge precedent for their future negotiations with other companies. Anything but business as usual...
    11-11-13 05:02 PM
    My thoughts exactly. And my personal belief is that this will develop into an unlocked runtime (which already exists) with the ability to download APK files from various online sources, directly to the device. I do not believe that Google Play will be one of those sources though. But anything could happen, we really don't know.
    11-11-13 05:04 PM
    Confirmation of this news could be what saves BlackBerry in the end. It seems like a natural evolution in the smartphone game. App availability would no longer dictate success or failure in the phone market, and it shouldn't to begin with. Level the playing field and compete with technology. Everyone loses when apps are limited to certain platforms.

Sent from the future on my Z10.
    Amazon have their own app store because they're not a member of the OHA and have a device that runs Android yet competes with Google.
    Can you explain why Amazon would want Google Play? Amazon takes a loss or barely breaks even on their hardware, which means they're not making money on hardware. If they got Google Play, they would lose app, music and ebook sales to Google. How exactly would they make money?

They /could/ have just built another Android tablet (Nook, Kobo) with short-cuts to their store, but they didn't. The specifically forked Android and tied everything to their ecosystem. They're counting on the consumer to buy apps, music, ebooks, etc. through them and not through Google.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    Wigley a member of the BerryLeaks team has access to more current 10.2.1xxxx runtimes. If he is hinting that there is something major in the works I trust his insight as he has hands on experience.
    He can have all the leaks he wants. Unless his insight is something directly in the company it means nothing. "Hinting " at something is nothing. Just pretty much a guess. A Lot of things has been hinted at during this bb10 process on here but a lot has turned out to be rubbish. I hope it comes but everybody is guessing at this point.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 05:07 PM
    This is what I'm saying to get real about. You make it sound like its basically a done deal with just the formalities left. Firstly, you have absolutely zero concrete evidence. Any actual evidence we have (OHA terms, etc) would seem to be to the contrary. I get that you're super pumped, lots of folks are. That's great, but you're reaching extremely far thinking that this is just "business as usual". If Google were to agree to this, it would be setting a huge precedent for their future negotiations with other companies. Anything but business as usual...
    I'm far from being far fetched. I just trust the leads I recieve from credible sources. You both seem to like to pounce on other posters comments.
    fedakd and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 05:10 PM
    He can have all the leaks he wants. Unless his insight is something directly in the company it means nothing. "Hinting " at something is nothing. Just pretty much a guess. A Lot of things has been hinted at during this bb10 process on here but a lot has turned out to be rubbish. I hope it comes but everybody is guessing at this point.
    I am skeptical. However I like to share my enthusiasm. I am a BlackBerry fan on a Blackberry forum. I wouldn't be here unless I used a BB as a daily driver. Some on these forums use other devices. I just can't comprehend how someone would have the time to be on a Blackberry forum being unsupportive of the platform.
    thisiscjay likes this.
    11-11-13 05:13 PM
    Can you explain why Amazon would want Google Play? Amazon takes a loss or barely breaks even on their hardware, which means they're not making money on hardware. If they got Google Play, they would lose app, music and ebook sales to Google. How exactly would they make money?

They /could/ have just built another Android tablet (Nook, Kobo) with short-cuts to their store, but they didn't. The specifically forked Android and tied everything to their ecosystem. They're counting on the consumer to buy apps, music, ebooks, etc. through them and not through Google.
    Right now, Amazon doesn't get to use any of Google's services. This means no maps, no Play Store, no location APIs, and a lot of stuff that Google has moved to closed source. Right now, they either have to build all of these themselves or license them off somebody else. They've build their own application store and a lot of other stuff, but some things like maps/location services they have to license off companies like Nokia. This costs them money.

Furthermore, because OHA companies like Samsung, Asus, Acer, Lenovo... in short, the majority of electronics production companies aren't allowed to produce non-Google Android software or hardware at all, they have to pay yet even more to even produce the hardware.

If Amazon joined the OHA, they'd have to scrap their fork of the Android OS and use Google's version, but they'd also get all the Google services.

So there you have it, in a nutshell.

Posted via CB10
    Anilu7 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-11-13 05:20 PM
561 ... 56789 ...