11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Apps Apps Apps. This has been Blackberries Achilles heel from the get go. BB10 has the android runtime so implementing google services is doable if not simply a matter of flicking a switch in the code. I keep hearing binary code incompatible and really need to shake my head at this remark. It would be easy to implement apk directly. Heck, it would be easy to implement both apk and bar. This would not be a problem. In fact, BB could even create an ART like compiler which would cache the code for hardware.

I think Google will throw BB the lifeline. They don't want MS or AAPLE getting the patents. I do feel for the native developers but this is what is best for BB right now. I think we'll get confirmation very soon.
    jaylenbledsoe and R Field like this.
    11-11-13 03:04 PM
    It would actually be a benefit to Google as well. Sideloading is no way some sneaky technique BB users have been getting away with, but it is not an ideal consumer friendly experience either.

Google has been all about getting Android into the hands of as many people as possible and they want the experience to be positive. Making Android a better experience on BB10 only helps this.

It is also not in Google's best interest to close any avenues that allow any other manufacturers to begin monopolizing Android. (ie - Samsung) If they wanted to fence things in, they'd just have to boot everyone else out and let Motorola be the exclusive Android company. That's not how they operate. Hell, they even make first rate versions of their own apps for other OS's. If helping BB weakens Samsung a bit, that's a plus for them.

So it really should be no surprise that they might work with BB to bring a better Android experience to more people, AND remember, some of those new people are the die-hard corporates. It is another avenue to gain some exposure with enterprise even if it's indirect. Google's been very open to trying new approaches, and really, they only stand to benefit by that much more exposure.

Google is about getting full fledged Android on devices, and making sure that those devices use ALL of Google's Services - email, maps, messaging, social and most importantly SEARCH.

As for opening the doors to "die-hard corporates"... you might want to look around in most corporate board rooms these days.... they know there is a world beyond BlackBerry already.

And a better Android experience is going to be found on a device running Android, not on a device the is emulating Android and that is buggy as all get out.
    11-11-13 03:14 PM
    Just drop BB10 if that's the case. No developer is going to make native apps if this pans out.

If true it's truly a last gasp to stay relevant. Unfortunately it still won't sell phones IMHO. The name "Blackberry" is tarnished beyond repair in the consumer market.

A niche market won't make them profitable. The business sector alone won't save them.
    Tarnished beyond repair? Big man, AOL is still around. Lots of names get Tarnished. Until a company throws in the towel no one can declare them dead.
    11-11-13 03:14 PM
    Hey All,

So if you've been following the forums the last few days, I'm sure you have noticed they are tons of threads and posts about the rumor that Google Play / Services may be coming to BlackBerry 10 in a way that's done w/ approval from Google.

Just wanted to let you know that I have reached out to BBRY looking for any sort of official brief, confirmation, statement, etc. that they can provide to us at this time.

This would be a pretty massive big deal for BlackBerry and BlackBerry users if it pans out, so am hoping we can get some official clarification one way or another to the extent they can provide. Due to the nature and implications of this sort of news, want to hold off posting it on the blogs until we truly know the full extent, despite all the "unofficial" talk on it.

If it's true that BBRY is really doing a deal (or has done one) with Google that permits BlackBerry to put the Google Play store and Google Services onto BlackBerry 10, that's a big deal for BlackBerry. And if it's not true, or is going to pan out in a way that's limited, feels like it would make more sense to correct the nature of the rumor before it gets out of control beyond the core community reading this now.

Will keep you posted as I know more at the "official" level.
    Glad to hear there's at least some thought going into it... look up my posts, I was arguing for this months ago, possibly offering Google patent license uses in return. Since then 'Rockstar' (the winning shared patent vehicle used by Apple, MSFT, RIM, Sony etc during the Nortel bidding wars) actually did launch the patent war against Google so BB can get some very nice, thick deal if they provide cover for at least some of the 6000+ Nortel patents for Google (which bought Motorola following the good ol' MAD doctrine.) A deal like this could seriously boost BB10's standing (and no, not necessarily would mean the end of native BB10 efforts.)
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-11-13 03:17 PM
    All I got from that article is that Google is concerned about compatibility. As long as BlackBerry can satisfy Google that their Runtime will meet the compatibility requirements i see no issue here. When I visit a website with a Virtual Machine, no one can tell if it's a real computer or not. It's an OS running on an OS, but it's the OS nevertheless.
    11-11-13 03:19 PM
    Google is about getting full fledged Android on devices, and making sure that those devices use ALL of Google's Services - email, maps, messaging, social and most importantly SEARCH.

As for opening the doors to "die-hard corporates"... you might want to look around in most corporate board rooms these days.... they know there is a world beyond BlackBerry already.

And a better Android experience is going to be found on a device running Android, not on a device the is emulating Android and that is buggy as all get out.
    Well, I guess if it turns out to be true, we'll know that Google did see some benefit in cooperating with BB.
    11-11-13 03:20 PM
    Google isn't interested in co-operating with Blackberry. Why would they? They are in the process of snapping up the tens of millions of former BB customers in emerging markets that clung to BB because of BBM and cheap internet. With BBM cross platform and a renewed focus on the low end with Android 4.4 KitKat, there's a good chance of them getting a great deal of success.

bringing Google Play to BB10 will defeat the entire purpose of the OHA. They'd much rather give Google Play access to the likes of Amazon Kindle Fire tablets.
    11-11-13 03:26 PM
    Awesome, thanks. On standby for real news.
    11-11-13 03:27 PM
    It's too early for Chen to be having a hand in this. Could it be the last directive of Heins? He knew he was abandoning the consumer market and as a goodwill parting gesture, put this deal into motion? So that the we would have at least something to use should BlackBerry completely fold?

First, make sure users would be able to communicate with their friends (BBMx), and now, let them have apps (Google Play)...
    11-11-13 03:39 PM
    They'd much rather give Google Play access to the likes of Amazon Kindle Fire tablets.
    Amazon doesn't want Google Play. They have their own ecosystem because they want it that way, to sell their own wares.
    melb_me and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 03:42 PM
    Kevin, this won't happen as BlackBerry are not members of the OHA, Jerry from Android Central has already debunked this as nothing more than a rumour.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post9503142
    LOL. It will be sooner than u think the truth coming out .

PS: u might want to second guess ur statement. Actually. All your statements on this thread. Just saying....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-11-13 03:43 PM
    I'm sure he would, given the chance, but unfortunately he's in France right now.

Posted via CB10
    I thought he was back,Oh well send Adam.He looks the part.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-11-13 03:47 PM
    Perhaps all ready reported, follows BIG Lucas update on N4BB.

Reached Out For Official Confirmation of Google Play / Services on BlackBerry 10-img_00000114.png

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 03:56 PM

PS: u might want to second guess ur statement. Actually. All your statements on this thread. Just saying....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    Can you comment on whether you have used Google Play on a BB10 device? Have you used an apk file on a BB10 device without conversion?
    11-11-13 03:58 PM

I hope this is truly the case and soon because every minute wasted is a minute lost forever. If I could come into BB HQ and lend my programming skills I would work overtime right now to see this happen. Help us Google-One-Kenobie you're our only hope!
    11-11-13 04:00 PM

Hey Wigley I know you got that 10.2.1055 file please release it

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:00 PM
    IMHO, this is a win-win situation, BlackBerry gets the apps it needs and Google gets an ally in reducing Samsung's power over Google. Remember Samsung is sells more or less the same number of phones running android as the rest of the guys in the OHA combined. Though BlackBerry's name has been tarnished they still have potential for a come back which in turn might cut down Samsung's dominance. Google loses nothing because BlackBerry devices running BB10 will be an additional avenue bring in revenue.
    fedakd likes this.
    11-11-13 04:08 PM
    I don't know why everyone thinks this is such a great thing. It's another defeat for BlackBerry. Wasn't the dream to have great native BB10 apps, all of them, the big ones too?

I mean it's good, but it's a bitter sweet gain, not a victory. It's better than nothing at all, but if you think about it, this is like Sony saying we have to make our PlayStation game consoles run Xbox games to succeed. Or Apple having to make their Mac Computer run PC software to help with sales because their tanking.
    Well....the bad thing is, I doubt it will have significant impact on BB10 sales. The platform will still be dead - this could have made a real difference - 10 months ago. And if this were actually possible (to get Google to agree to) then not doing it before was ..... a huge mistake.

It is great for the current users though (no, Google doesn't care about them or sideloading....you're talking about a few million and falling), so I'm all for it! But yes...it will mean the end of native apps etc....but that was already over. There wasn't/isn't going to be native development anymore.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-11-13 04:08 PM
    Very true, at this time. And yet once the hardware gets to certain point it will not matter to the average Joe. Look at Windows PCs. There was a specs race which sold devices based on OS performance -- and now hardly anyone cares about the hardware from a raw performance viewpoint -- except PC gamers, CAD users, digital artists, video editors, etc.

At some point here anything will be able to run Android adequately, for 90% of the users.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-11-13 04:09 PM
    I thought he was back,Oh well send Adam.He looks the part.
    I thought he joined into the podcast on Friday from Paris so I didn't think he was back, but maybe he is.

Lol have you noticed that Adam sorta runs the site now with Kevin being away for so long?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:11 PM
    Samsungs power over Google? are you serious?
    Samsung is a major contributor to the sales of Android phones, Google welcomes it. Not threatened by it LOL
    11-11-13 04:12 PM
    Dude, you're just plain wrong on this and frankly that you're willing to spout this nonsense calls into question virtually everything else you've pontificated on in this regard.

If an instruction set is compatible at the processor level then it is entirely possible on a modern CPU to trap-and-redirect instructions that would make library calls and reform them into the parent library, implement the missing calls, or go at it entirely differently and implement the guest as a virtual machine and run it that way.

This has been the case in the "generic Unix world" for a very long time; I was able to run Xenix binaries on SVRx ix86 processor machines many years ago and long before virtualization support existed in the Intel family of CPUs and today I can execute Linux binaries unchanged on my FreeBSD machine should I have some reason to do so. For any POSIX-compliant OS the cross-compatibility issues are anywhere between relatively minor and downright trivial provided we're talking about compatible underlying CPU instruction sets.

But even where the emulated OS is not POSIX-compliant it's not impossible -- WINE can run some (but not all) Windows apps under Unix as just one example, and again WINE dates to well before IX86 processors had virtualization support.
    You have just confirmed what I said about Free BSD being binary compatible with Linux. Thanks.

Any OS can be binary compatible as long as it has the correct ABI's.

Currently, BB10 is not binary compatible with Android. Though I never said it couldn't be.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 04:16 PM
    Why is it so difficult to believe for once that good things are coming? Been with this platform for a decade, through the good and the bad. I've also experienced broken promises like lots of you on these forums, but I'm not reliving the past over and over and over. The BlackBerry of today (past few weeks) is a far cry from the BlackBerry of two years ago.
    fedakd likes this.
    11-11-13 04:18 PM
    Samsungs power over Google? are you serious?
    Samsung is a major contributor to the sales of Android phones, Google welcomes it. Not threatened by it LOL
    I wouldn't be so sure, Android was designed to be usable on multiple devices and - by extension - utilized by as many OEMs that adopt it. If Samsung corners the Android market and drives the other manufacturers out of business, they're essentially the lone Android device manufacturer and would then be able to exert a lot more control over what "Android" looks like to the average user.

And it certainly doesn't help that Samsung was (is?) developing Tizen as a way to remove themselves from Google's control over their software. No, this relationship is maintained by both companies purely by their mutual necessity for the other party.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 04:20 PM
    If Google were worried about losing revenues enough.... there are a number of things that they could do that would not constitute helping the competition. Easiest would be to go after BlackBerry for allowing this exploit of a developer "tool" (Which might be why we are seeing locked runtimes.) Sideloading is not a FEATURE of BB10, you will not find it listed in any official capacity as a way to install any android application that you want. It is meant for developers to test their ported applications. Now the BlackBerry community has taken full advantage of this "tool" up to this point. But that doesn't mean that it is legal for us to do, or for BlackBerry to continue to allow it.

Now Google might have talked with BlackBerry about shutting down sideloading, and maybe BlackBerry asked them about becoming partners, and maybe BlackBerry offered Google something.....

But the threat of continued losses for illegal sideloading of apps? That is not a reason for Google to "play nice".
    I had a conversation with Alec Saunders about this, and he confirmed that sideloading is for Devs to test apps.
    Thank you for clarifying, I'm pretty sure that if Google decided to, they would sue BlackBerry for "intellectual property theft".

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    richardat, Anilu7 and xandermac like this.
    11-11-13 04:20 PM
561 ... 45678 ...