11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 23456 ...
tools
    OMG it indeed is a news and yes interesting one
    11-11-13 11:34 AM
    interesting indeed
    11-11-13 11:37 AM
    This is something that will materially impact the share price. There will be NO comment from Blackberry until their official announcement (if there is one) They can not "leak" this info.
    fedakd, gebco, wincyUt and 3 others like this.
    11-11-13 11:38 AM
    On Friday a friend who works for RIM in Ottawa said that Google Play will be included in 10.2.1. It was at a bar so I didn't have chance to get any more details than that.
    11-11-13 11:49 AM
    Waiting with suspense

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:51 AM
    This is something that will materially impact the share price. There will be NO comment from Blackberry until their official announcement (if there is one) They can not "leak" this info.
    My guess too.
    Dude_9 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:52 AM
    They could say they aren't working with Google if the rumors get out of hand.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:52 AM
    get this one ,but bb should make sure that the integrity of bb should be left
    11-11-13 11:54 AM
    N4bb says BlackBerry and Google are still in negotiations.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:55 AM
    QNX is POSIX certified. mutes your claim.

Posted via CB10
    Just because QNX is a POSIX OS, does not mean it's binary compatible with Android.

To make Android NDK apps work, hypervisor-based virtualization would have been the only effective way to accomplish true binary compatibility. But as BlackBerry 10 uses just the Dalvik part of Android, it can't run NDK apps. Those applications have to be ported using the native C/C++QNX SDK instead.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...d-apps-782798/

Post #31 is the one you want.

Sailfish OS is binary compatible with Android as they're both Linux.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:55 AM
    Members of OHA are not allowed to produce phones that run incompatible versions of Android.
    Also, you would need Google Services Framework, as explained by others in the other thread (link posted earlier, go read it).

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Acer ran afoul of Google for doing just that:

Google blocked Acer’s rival phone to prevent Android “fragmentation” | Ars Technica
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-11-13 11:56 AM
    Well, about 90% of Blackberry users agreed with you over the past several years and did just that. I guess we're just talking about the last 10%.
    we want this because we realize that this is what could help BB10 stick around. in my point of view, this is a compromise between BB10 and Android. If you dont want to run Android Apps, then dont download them.

I dont think this will **** off BB Devs as Built for BlackBerry Apps will always run better as they will take advantage of the Cascades framework w/ support for headless apps, HUB, Active Frame, etc..
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:58 AM
    This is going to be good

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:59 AM
    Thanks Kevin.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:59 AM
    when will we see if it is for real
    11-11-13 12:04 PM
    because this can be one of the biggest news we can have.
    11-11-13 12:04 PM
    None of us will know anything until more details come out.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:10 PM
    I'm guessing Thursday

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:14 PM
    I'm sorry to say that even if Kevin himself gets confirmation there are those who would still not believe. Me, Personally I have no
    horse in this race but I'm just saying what others are thinking.
    It would depend. If Kevin was told Google made a deal to give access to Google Play for giving Patent Licensing then everyone would believe. Rockstar a consortium of BB, Microsoft and Apple purchase Patents from the failed Canadian Company Nortel. They setup this consortium as a Patent Troll and have started suing. Google is one of the companies being sued. If Google can cross license these Patents then Rockstar has no suit. At least this is my thinking. I could be wrong.
    redantz likes this.
    11-11-13 12:20 PM
    Basically, Dalvik and ART are Java Bytecode interpreters. They compile Java (which hardware can't understand) to machine language (which hardware can understand).

Actually, Dalvik is a JIT compiler which compiles the code every time the app is executed. This means that the execution of the app is slower than a code already compiled.
    ART is a Ahead-of-time compiler which compiles the code during the installation of the app and save it on your device. So the app will be faster (at the price of a longer installation).

But the problem will be that the code stored in one device won't be able to run on a different hardware (because it's already compiled).
    Dalvik has a cache though, and therefore once the code has been executed once it is in that cache until and unless it is invalidated (and/or overflows; it is LRU in that instance.)

As for binary compatibility there's no problem there; modern apps can have binary components and the existing Android runtime can execute them on BB10. Newer builds from Android are now including both ARM and Intel instruction set segments; this was formerly not required but as other-than-ARM instruction set CPUs start to show up in mobile devices it will become more-and-more necessary for anything that wants to use native code.

Android went with Dalvik originally to get around Java licensing issues AND to prevent a potential native compatibility problem down the road. They wound up having to fight anyway and didn't fully escape the compatibility issues either.
    11-11-13 12:27 PM
    [QUOTE=CJH_;9518801]Kevin, this won't happen as BlackBerry are not members of the OHA, Jerry from Android Central has already debunked this as nothing more than a rumour.
    Is that a closed shop? They can't join? google must want someone other than Samsung in the game. Samsung is slowly going to w lure people away from google.
    11-11-13 12:31 PM
    BlackBerry World would become A graveyard. Why would developers build BlackBerry apps anymore if the Android store becomes available. How would the apps work with the os? Hub integration and all. This is a bad business idea if you want BlackBerry10 to survive and grow as a platform. It's great news for the average customers. At least on the surface, but if you think about the user experience over time you'll see what I mean. For android apps that I get through BlackBerry World they work okay but the side loaded apps don't integrate that well.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:33 PM
    My guess too.
    They may not be able to confirm it is in the works, but they can certainly put the rumour to rest if its not true. If they don't respond or comment - probably true, otherwise they will confirm its not true.
    11-11-13 12:41 PM
    It would be easy to develop a model whereby BlackBerry developers received a premium for their efforts. One option already floated is BlackBerry world continuing with native-only apps
    redantz likes this.
    11-11-13 12:45 PM
    BlackBerry World would become A graveyard. Why would developers build BlackBerry apps anymore if the Android store becomes available. How would the apps work with the os? Hub integration and all. This is a bad business idea if you want BlackBerry10 to survive and grow as a platform. It's great news for the average customers. At least on the surface, but if you think about the user experience over time you'll see what I mean. For android apps that I get through BlackBerry World they work okay but the side loaded apps don't integrate that well.

Posted via CB10
    This is my feeling as well. I love the distinct BB10 feel but can't see devs committing to the platform if their Android versions can run just as easily on BlackBerry devices.

Nonetheless, many folks are touting this as a company saving strategic move so what do I know? I just hope that the bb10 OS can continue to survive because I love it so much more than Android or IOS.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:46 PM
561 ... 23456 ...