11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 12345 ...
tools
    Sooo if true no more app gap ;p
    11-11-13 11:00 AM
    Hopefully it is baked in so well that apart from cascade UI, there is no difference in running them. As of now it is good but I am sure it can be made more great and baked into OS so that we can use native share menu, hub etc. for ports also.

Also, any idea of moving away from Dalvik run time to ART? Will this make the port apps more smooth and flawless?

What are the benefits of ART for BlackBerry?

Posted via my last BlackBerry Device- Loyalty expects loyalty.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-11-13 11:00 AM
    LOL...this is going down hill fast.

It is Remembrance Day...take a minute to say a thanks for you're ability to discuss these issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:01 AM
    Jerry Hildenbrand, at Android Central (@gbhil).

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    Sorry I knew that, Google told me :P

Lol, it was a emphasis on the follow up question in the same post of mine.

If he is just a writer/editor of Android Central with sources then we got the same here (Bla1ze).

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:01 AM
    Just drop BB10 if that's the case. No developer is going to make native apps if this pans out.

If true it's truly a last gasp to stay relevant. Unfortunately it still won't sell phones IMHO. The name "Blackberry" is tarnished beyond repair in the consumer market.

A niche market won't make them profitable. The business sector alone won't save them.
    11-11-13 11:02 AM
    Thanks Kev

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:02 AM
    Blog from Bla1ze today seems to indicate the latest is that .apk files will be able to run without conversion, but Google Play as such is not in store. But perhaps he's only talking about the leaked build: "There's still that matter of Google Play integration that needs definitive clarification as well. That has changed from, you'll be able to access Google Play to you won't have access to Google Play but you'll be able to install APK files directly without any conversion."
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:04 AM
    Hopefully it is baked in so well that apart from cascade UI, there is no difference in running them. As of now it is good but I am sure it can be made more great and baked into OS so that we can use native share menu, hub etc. for ports also.

Also, any idea of moving away from Dalvik run time to ART? Will this make the port apps more smooth and flawless?

Dalvik used to launch apps Just in Time while ART is said to sort of cached apps so it's ready Ahead of Time.

I honestly don't know how it'll work for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:04 AM
    Truly hope we see Google Play and Google Services on BB10. It would be a game changer for Blackberry.
    11-11-13 11:06 AM
    How would the revenue be split?
    11-11-13 11:09 AM
    Kevin, this won't happen as BlackBerry are not members of the OHA, Jerry from Android Central has already debunked this as nothing more than a rumour.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post9503142
    How many time do I have to tell people...?

TAT is part of OHA... TAT is owned by BlackBerry... So technically/legally all contracts become part of the owner when a company is bought... its not like these "contracts or agreements " expire.... come in man stop going against the grain...

You do this in every thread...

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    thisiscjay and wincyUt like this.
    11-11-13 11:10 AM
    Didn't say he was perfect; though I'm more inclined to believe him and his Google source than I am trolls on CrackBerry.

Can you imagine how many departments Google has.. how big the company is... do you think that source may or may not in the right dept

wincyUt likes this.
    11-11-13 11:12 AM
    The decision to stop marketing to consumers (if you could say they ever really did any) is the worst idea I've ever heard, every teenage girl I know loved their BlackBerry, if pink q5s were available they would sell, I have all these kids really digging my q5 and they all have iPhone 5 and s3s. All that really matters is that when they come from iPhone they need the apps to go with. Android ports are just as good as android but it seems to do it for half the world so... here's hoping this happens soontimes

Posted via CB10
    Benjamin Simoens likes this.
    11-11-13 11:12 AM
    Blog from Bla1ze today seems to indicate the latest is that .apk files will be able to run without conversion, but Google Play as such is not in store. But perhaps he's only talking about the leaked build: "There's still that matter of Google Play integration that needs definitive clarification as well. That has changed from, you'll be able to access Google Play to you won't have access to Google Play but you'll be able to install APK files directly without any conversion."
    BB10 and Android are not binary compatible, so Android apps will always need to re-packaged inside a .bar - unlike on Sailfish OS which is binary compatible with Android (they're both based around Linux).

Anilu7 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:17 AM
    Just keep my secure OS and BB World...
    Anilu7 and deiop like this.
    11-11-13 11:17 AM
    Why would you want this? If you want android apps so desperately, why not get an android phone?
    m1a1mg and kevinnugent like this.
    11-11-13 11:19 AM
    Why would you want this? If you want android apps so desperately, why not get an android phone?
    Exactly.

Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:21 AM
    BB10 and Android are not binary compatible, so Android apps will always need to re-packaged inside a .bar - unlike on Sailfish OS which is binary compatible with Android (they're both based around Linux).
    Sorry, I misquoted; Bla1ze said 'installed', I said 'run'. Maybe the said installation just hides the conversion to .bar, which would still be a great step forward for the less technically savvy.
    00stryder and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:21 AM
    Just drop BB10 if that's the case. No developer is going to make native apps if this pans out.
    Wrong. I will (when BB confirms that BB10 will continue) still make BB10 apps, because I think the customers will prefere the native ones, especially when it comes to productivity apps. These apps will also receive a lot of free advertising from BB. Still interesting for developers.
    But I agree, that the brand "BlackBerry" is now almost destroyed. The "for sale sign" killed everything. The media is talking about BB as a dead company. I have no idea, how this could change...where is the marketing genius?
    00stryder and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:22 AM
    So multiple people with I assume different sources with the same / similar rumours of the Google Play Store are all discounted by Jerry?

You must be knowing how high up his source is then?

That's the only reason I can think of that makes you not want us to get our hopes up?

@ CJH_

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, "multiple sources" have few reliable sources of their own. Many are just repeating the rumour without backup. When Google or BlackBerry say it's so, then we know it's so. So many people are cheering this as a fait accompli while it is only a rumour. Sometimes rumours are true. Often they are not. Let's just not get ahead of ourselves because of our excitement without concrete data to back it up.
    11-11-13 11:23 AM
    How many time do I have to tell people...?

TAT is part of OHA... TAT is owned by BlackBerry... So technically/legally all contracts become part of the owner when a company is bought... its not like these "contracts or agreements " expire.... come in man stop going against the grain...

You do this in every thread...

Members of OHA are not allowed to produce phones that run incompatible versions of Android.
    Also, you would need Google Services Framework, as explained by others in the other thread (link posted earlier, go read it).

Anilu7 and rbenchley like this.

QNX is POSIX certified. mutes your claim.

Posted via CB10
    Members of OHA are not allowed to produce phones that run incompatible versions of Android.
    Also, you would need Google Services Framework, as explained by others in the other thread (link posted earlier, go read it).

TAT is a member of the OHA which implies that so to is BlackBerry since they own TAT

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:25 AM

Basically, Dalvik and ART are Java Bytecode interpreters. They compile Java (which hardware can't understand) to machine language (which hardware can understand).

Actually, Dalvik is a JIT compiler which compiles the code every time the app is executed. This means that the execution of the app is slower than a code already compiled.
    ART is a Ahead-of-time compiler which compiles the code during the installation of the app and save it on your device. So the app will be faster (at the price of a longer installation).

But the problem will be that the code stored in one device won't be able to run on a different hardware (because it's already compiled).
    11-11-13 11:26 AM
    Well, about 90% of Blackberry users agreed with you over the past several years and did just that. I guess we're just talking about the last 10%.
    spacemanspork and kevinnugent like this.
    11-11-13 11:27 AM
561 12345 ...