11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 20212223
tools
    The bottom line is, cash has never been an issue for BlackBerry. This has been hailed over and over again. Since before these issues came up.
    You're barking up the wrong tree.
    Assets have never been an issue, it's management decisions, delays, and lack of customer engagement.
    11-14-13 07:32 PM
    The bottom line is, cash has never been an issue for BlackBerry. This has been hailed over and over again. Since before these issues came up.
    You're barking up the wrong tree.
    Assets have never been an issue, it's management decisions, delays, and lack of customer engagement.
    It's been an issue for a while now. RIM/BBRY have been making cuts for quite some time now just to keep the cash balance looking good. Quarter after quarter over the last year or so, BBRY has been posting losses. Yet their cash remains the same. Care to guess how that comes about? Cuts, that's how. And last quarter when their cash balance dropped a bit, it was because they're running out of areas to cut. They basically chose to bleed off assets to make their cash look good. That's the problem with creative financing... eventually it catches up to you.

Why do you think they want the $1 Billion financing and need that $1 Billion refund? Because their creative balance sheet won't keep them afloat much longer.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    11-14-13 07:42 PM
    We'll see.
    They're not going to disappear.
    11-14-13 08:08 PM
    Please, please let google play into blackberry 10. That will push blackberry to the top anew, believe me, especially blackberry 10 with its perfect keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:52 AM
    Google Play loads -- but does not run -- on 10.2.1.

Several other app stores, however, both load and run -- and work.

This is simply a business decision on Google's and BlackBerry's part now. Oh, and if you have an APK that does not have billing/DRM checks, they load and run too, just as they load and run on an Android handset, without being repackaged.

Yes, including ones that have native code in them and certain people here said wouldn't work .... even though they already did....
    Wigley458 likes this.
    11-15-13 08:18 AM
    10.2.1 is the best
    Downloading apk's from 1mobile market
    And installing right on the device.
    No debug, no conversion.
    All apps have worked so far.
    11-15-13 08:46 AM
    I did not realize that I can use APK Extractor App on my Nexus 7 to e-mail myself an App . My chances of buying a BB10 device has gone up by 75%. I just need the new OS to make it to my phone carrier and I may be in.
    11-15-13 09:15 AM
    ES File Explorer can also back up an APK file to the phone's storage (or SD card) which can then be moved to wherever you'd like.
    11-15-13 09:21 AM
    I did not realize that I can use APK Extractor App on my Nexus 7 to e-mail myself an App . My chances of buying a BB10 device has gone up by 75%. I just need the new OS to make it to my phone carrier and I may be in.
    The leak is good.
    11-15-13 11:41 AM
    how can you steal something free??

as far as I've seen, none of the APK methods work for getting paid apps for free... and through several of the stores, you can purchase the apps just as an Android user would...

while I agree, this is not a good long-term solution, I believe it will force someone's hand (BB or Google) sooner than later...

remember when they were trying to say jailbreaking the iPhone was illegal?
    11-16-13 05:00 PM
    how can you steal something free??

as far as I've seen, none of the APK methods work for getting paid apps for free... and through several of the stores, you can purchase the apps just as an Android user would...

while I agree, this is not a good long-term solution, I believe it will force someone's hand (BB or Google) sooner than later...

remember when they were trying to say jailbreaking the iPhone was illegal?
    It violates Google's terms of service and the software is not freeware, even if it is free. The developer still owns the rights to it and as such you are not legally allowed to install it where they haven't said you're allowed to install it. To be honest though, I doubt any dev would care.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 10:01 PM
    Do you know the term "derivative work"? Here, i'll help you.

Copyright law protects original, creative works of authorship such as books, manuscripts, music, film and video productions, computer code and works of art such as paintings and photosamong other things. Authors of these works have exclusive rights to do the following with their work:

Reproduce the work
    Distribute copies of the work to the public
    Display the copyrighted work publicly
    Prepare derivative works based upon the work

You're violating the law for each of these. So yeauh, thieving pirates...

What are derivative works under Copyright law? | LegalZoom

Now I will readily admit the BlackBerry do not seem to be very concerned about your action else they would merely contact crackberry and threaten them with legal action for aiding/displaying/hosting your files. However, that does not suddenly make your actions legal.
    I prefer to ignore useless "debates" and so I haven't looked back in here for quite a while. But here I am and I am intrigued by your "analysis."

First, you seem to have a real problem with leaked OSes. This despite having been a fairly avid user of them until you experienced your moral awakening. The topic of leaked OSes is, in this thread, completely OFF-TOPIC. And, by the way, your analysis on that issue is still completely wrong.

Second, how are any of us creating derivative works? What, exactly, is running on BB10? Oh, yes...an ANDROID RUNTIME. If you are suggesting, as you seem to be, that running an Android application on an Android platform is the creation of an infringing derivative work, then there are far more folks beyond BlackBerry who have sinned against your sacrosanct copyright.

Finally, your attempts at belittling me with snide attitude are quite funny. Especially when you cite LegalZoom as your authority. Carry on with your righteous battle against the evil pirates. I commend your skills as judge, jury, and executioner.
    11-24-13 05:55 PM
    I prefer to ignore useless "debates" and so I haven't looked back in here for quite a while. But here I am and I am intrigued by your "analysis."

First, you seem to have a real problem with leaked OSes. This despite having been a fairly avid user of them until you experienced your moral awakening. The topic of leaked OSes is, in this thread, completely OFF-TOPIC. And, by the way, your analysis on that issue is still completely wrong.

Second, how are any of us creating derivative works? What, exactly, is running on BB10? Oh, yes...an ANDROID RUNTIME. If you are suggesting, as you seem to be, that running an Android application on an Android platform is the creation of an infringing derivative work, then there are far more folks beyond BlackBerry who have sinned against your sacrosanct copyright.

Finally, your attempts at belittling me with snide attitude are quite funny. Especially when you cite LegalZoom as your authority. Carry on with your righteous battle against the evil pirates. I commend your skills as judge, jury, and executioner.
    You didn't seriously bump an 8 day old thread to try and get the last word and make yourself look clever, did you?
    This is the internet. No one 'wins'

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 03:00 AM
    You didn't seriously bump an 8 day old thread to try and get the last word and make yourself look clever, did you?
    This is the internet. No one 'wins'

Posted via CB10
    I didn't realize there was a time limit. Like I said, I do my best to ignore useless things. I did want to respond, since it is clear that the Android folks are quite upset that another device/platform can run their apps too and the arguments opposing that reality are, uh, misguided.

My goal was not to "win," nor was I looking clever. As you so accurately observed, "this is the internet."

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:13 AM
    I didn't realize there was a time limit. Like I said, I do my best to ignore useless things. I did want to respond, since it is clear that the Android folks are quite upset that another device/platform can run their apps too and the arguments opposing that reality are, uh, misguided.

My goal was not to "win," nor was I looking clever. As you so accurately observed, "this is the internet."

Posted via CB10
    You bumped an 8 day old post to try and tell someone else their post was useless.
    And you're here trying to say you weren't trying to look clever.

And you manage to throw in some more snide misinformed remarks re android.

This whole idea of giving only a few people their own special forum identifiable 'team' sure has worked out well.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:19 AM
    You bumped an 8 day old post to try and tell someone else their post was useless.

This whole idea of giving only a few people their own special forum identifiable 'team' sure has worked out well.

Posted via CB10
    I don't care how "old" the post or thread was. I don't keep track of that. I rarely post in this area, for many very good reasons. You are reminding me of almost all of them.

My comments are not intended to be snide. Just well-informed.

If it makes you feel better, I'll wait nine days to respond to you again. Then you can complain some more about why I post, when, and where.

Until then, I'm off to download some apk files. I'll give you three guesses where from.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 06:39 AM
    Well, this morning I found out how BlackBerry engineers were able to have Android apps running under BB10...

It's a hack and not a pretty one at that.

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

I am correct, BB10 is not binary compatible with Android.
    As Dalvik is Open Source, it explains why Google are testing ART.

Geeks United C00122408
    11-25-13 06:53 AM
    Well, this morning I found out how BlackBerry engineers were able to have Android apps running under BB10...

Article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11..._than_android/

Geeks United C00122408
    That's cool and it is quite pretty. Got a link to where they say they are switching to ART?

Sent from my Z30
    11-25-13 08:14 AM
    Wow.. you guys are unbelievable... why bother attacking Wu like that?

This man has been here years making hybrids for past BlackBerry OS.. not just bb10...

And he is one of the few who will not partake in useless comments...

Wu come back in 9 days and close the thread to prove a point..

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    11-25-13 08:14 AM
    That's cool and it is quite pretty. Got a link to where they say they are switching to ART?

Sent from my Z30
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...d-battery-life

http://www.geek.com/android/meet-art...droid-1576849/

Geeks United C00122408
    Poirots Progeny and Anilu7 like this.
    11-25-13 08:20 AM
    And android runtime could not be emulated on bb10?

Sent from my Z30
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-25-13 08:22 AM
    And android runtime could not be emulated on bb10?

Sent from my Z30
    They're using Dalvik...
    As The Register points out, it's a hack.

Geeks United C00122408
    Poirots Progeny and Anilu7 like this.
    11-25-13 08:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Talk about used posts. By looking at the last section of your post, you have effectively labeled yourself as a hypocrite by posting snide, misinformed remarks.

Posted via my Z10 (BB#22) featuring Channel C0031BD24
    11-25-13 08:32 AM

Article here: Revealed: The amazing BlackBerry wizardry that created its 'better Android than Android' • The Register

Geeks United C00122408
    So many things wrong with your statement...

1. A lot of Android apps were running just fine even before BlackBerry developed that hack. Not every Android app needs native extensions.
    2. The clever hack is only about running native Linux extensions not about running "Android Java" bytecode. It works well for apps which behave normally, not for apps using stupid tricks in order to try and improve the security of their code through obscurity
    3. QNX is not binary compatible with Linux, nothing to do with BB10 being compatible with Android which runs in a VM...
    4. What makes you think ART won't be Open Source Software?
    5. ART will make it so that Android apps running on BB10 will do so at native speed since they will be natively compiled at install time.
    11-25-13 08:47 AM
    So many things wrong with your statement...

1. A lot of Android apps were running just fine even before BlackBerry developed that hack. Not every Android app needs native extensions.
    2. The clever hack is only about running native Linux extensions not about running "Android Java" bytecode. It works well for apps which behave normally, not for apps using stupid tricks in order to try and improve the security of their code through obscurity
    3. QNX is not binary compatible with Linux, nothing to do with BB10 being compatible with Android which runs in a VM...
    4. What makes you think ART won't be Open Source Software?
    5. ART will make it so that Android apps running on BB10 will do so at native speed since they will be natively compiled at install time.
    Isn't Art just a beta on kit kat right now?

sent from my galaxy note 3
    11-25-13 08:54 AM
561 ... 20212223