11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    Do you know the term "derivative work"? Here, i'll help you.

Copyright law protects original, creative works of authorship such as books, manuscripts, music, film and video productions, computer code and works of art such as paintings and photosamong other things. Authors of these works have exclusive rights to do the following with their work:

Reproduce the work
    Distribute copies of the work to the public
    Display the copyrighted work publicly
    Prepare derivative works based upon the work

You're violating the law for each of these. So yeauh, thieving pirates...

What are derivative works under Copyright law? | LegalZoom

Now I will readily admit the BlackBerry do not seem to be very concerned about your action else they would merely contact crackberry and threaten them with legal action for aiding/displaying/hosting your files. However, that does not suddenly make your actions legal.

I freely admit I haven't read more than this page. So thanks for the pithy summary. I will conclude that the other 400 comments are proportionately full of legal and factual inaccuracies, as well as embarrassingly childish behavior.

I love it when people use terms like "illegal" so artfully.
    Last edited by xandermac; 11-13-13 at 01:51 PM.
    11-13-13 01:29 PM
    All this could be resolved if BB dumped BB10 and simply developed a BB10 skin for Android. If these rumors are true, then native developers for BB10 are screwed anyway, so why not make a kick-**** Android phone that keeps most of the cosmetic BB10 functionality? These work-arounds seem complicated and pointless to me. But then again, I have the IQ of a gnat.
    I think on one hand you're making a lot of sense, actually. BlackBerry could focus on making a secure container within Android, instead of trying to wedge more and more of Android into BB10. The end result would be a better product.

The secure container could be exclusive to BB hardware maybe. And they could still make a very tight bootloader. I think if QNX had not been a Canadian company, this may have been the direction 3 years ago.

The issue is how much money can BlackBerry make that way? Maybe it's not more than they make now. Or looking at it another way, maybe it's not any less?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-13-13 02:11 PM
    The obvious response to this would be it is very likely somebody would develop a central location to install all the .apk files from (official or not)

You don't mind if I wait until that happens before I grade from my BBOS.
    11-13-13 02:55 PM
    I'm not one for way out there theories but I'm about to propose one...

The ability to easily load .apks is the "so long and thanks for all the fish" for users from the development team before the plug is pulled on BB10 - Chen's letter which doesn't mention BB10 and the cancellation of BB's developer conference on the same day just makes me think they are going to pull the plugs in weeks.
    Poirots Progeny and JeepBB like this.
    11-13-13 02:58 PM
    I'm not one for way out there theories but I'm about to propose one...

The ability to easily load .apks is the "so long and thanks for all the fish" for users from the development team before the plug is pulled on BB10 - Chen's letter which doesn't mention BB10 and the cancellation of BB's developer conference on the same day just makes me think they are going to pull the plugs in weeks.
    Right... have you seen the newest leak? If they were going to drop it they would've already. For what reason would they have to drop it?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 03:04 PM
    Right... have you seen the newest leak? If they were going to drop it they would've already. For what reason would they have to drop it?

Posted via CB10
    BB10? It is a money pit with no current upside.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-13-13 03:22 PM
    BB10? It is a money pit with no current upside.
    You could've said the same thing about Windows Phone less than a year ago. Look at it now.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 03:23 PM
    You could've said the same thing about Windows Phone less than a year ago. Look at it now.

Posted via CB10
    Windows phone is backed by a highly profitable enterprise that can throw billions at making it success, BB10 is made by a company that has no clear revenue stream, is running out of cash, has a market share that is almost lower than "other", failed to attract any interest when it hawked itself around and is currently spending next to nothing on marketing, carrier relations and advertising - in a market where the winners spend billions.

So yes if BBRY has billions hidden down the back of the sofa and is actually winning to spend them it could be turned around - with current financing and current activities? no chance.
    timberdc, JeepBB and richardat like this.
    11-13-13 03:31 PM
    If you're going to drop it then why borrow $1 billion. I'm not saying they aren't going to drop it. But I'm not sure I follow why they wouldn't just dump the employees required for that part of the business and fire sale the remaining devices and be done with it.

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-13-13 03:41 PM
    Windows phone is backed by a highly profitable enterprise that can throw billions at making it success, BB10 is made by a company that has no clear revenue stream, is running out of cash, has a market share that is almost lower than "other", failed to attract any interest when it hawked itself around and is currently spending next to nothing on marketing, carrier relations and advertising - in a market where the winners spend billions.

So yes if BBRY has billions hidden down the back of the sofa and is actually winning to spend them it could be turned around - with current financing and current activities? no chance.
    Lmao. No cash and running out? No future? No revenue stream? And bb10 a useless $ pit? Bahahaha

Thanks for the laugh

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-13-13 03:43 PM
    Look at it this way. If BlackBerry dropped BB10, what would its revenue stream be like then? BBOS is slowly shrinking, and, in the words of John Chen, without handsets, what is BlackBerry? Not much.

I know what you're going to say next: BlackBerry's going to drop BB10 and move to Android. Nope. It's too late for that. Two or three years ago they could have safely made that decision. Now? Not so much.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 03:46 PM
    Lmao. No cash and running out? No future? No revenue stream? And bb10 a useless $ pit? Bahahaha

Thanks for the laugh

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    I predict that in three to four years, BlackBerry will be at the same level as both Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone. I'm predicting that the market is going to "equalise", for lack of a better word, and that the market is going to be divided up between the four major players much more evenly.

But don't go spending your life's savings on BlackBerry stock. I'm not basing this off much except pure speculation.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 03:52 PM
    I predict that in three to four years, BlackBerry will be at the same level as both Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone. I'm predicting that the market is going to "equalise", for lack of a better word, and that the market is going to be divided up between the four major players much more evenly.

But don't go spending your life's savings on BlackBerry stock. I'm not basing this off much except pure speculation.

Posted via CB10
    I would go that far, but I still expect BlackBerry to be "alive" that far down the road. In the worst case as a purely enterprise-focused company that specializes in securing corporate and government networks.

People forget how many "important" people in the world rely on BlackBerry, not necessarily on the device level but certainly from a services perspective.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:15 PM
    Android going from 80% share all the way down to 25%? That would be an epic collapse.

00stryder likes this.
    11-13-13 04:16 PM
    Android going from 80% share all the way down to 25%? That would be an epic collapse.

By the same token, so was RIMMs. I don't agree that it will happen, but I guess it theoretically could.
    11-13-13 04:33 PM

Android does not have 80% of the smartphone market share. It's actually about 60% or less, while Apple has about 40%. The other players take up the remaining.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:35 PM
    Where are you getting your info from??? Numerous reports show Android with 81% of the market share in the last quarter.

Sent from my LG-D803 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-13-13 04:47 PM
    Android does not have 80% of the smartphone market share. It's actually about 60% or less, while Apple has about 40%. The other players take up the remaining.

Posted via CB10
    Where are you getting your stats from? I'm talking worldwide. Apple has nowhere near 40%.

11-13-13 04:51 PM
    Where are you getting your stats from? I'm talking worldwide. Apple has nowhere near 40%.

Okay, maybe I'm thinking of US, or maybe that includes normal phones too... I don't know where I got those numbers from.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 04:59 PM
    That 80% may not be as big as you think.
    Here's an interesting read:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...s-google-apple
    11-13-13 05:15 PM
    That 80% may not be as big as you think.
    Here's an interesting read:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...s-google-apple
    It's the difference between share of current sales versus installed base. I was talking about share of current sales.

And I was talking about the world, not just the US. I didn't realize we were talking about the US.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    11-13-13 05:30 PM
    It's the difference between share of current sales versus installed base. I was talking about share of current sales.

And I was talking about the world, not just the US. I didn't realize we were talking about the US.

We weren't talking about just the US. I was just speculating that perhaps I was confusing the numbers with US stats.

But that article shows that I was right.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 05:34 PM
    We weren't talking about just the US. I was just speculating that perhaps I was confusing the numbers with US stats.

But that article shows that I was right.

Posted via CB10
    So were you saying you expect the install base to equalize within 3 years?? That would be even more difficult than share of current sales! BB would probably have to sell some half a billion phones over the next 3 years to catch Android's installed base!

richardat likes this.
    11-13-13 05:37 PM
    So were you saying you expect the install base to equalize within 3 years?? That would be even more difficult than share of current sales! BB would probably have to sell some half a billion phones over the next 3 years to catch Android's installed base!
    More than that. Android is already selling that many per year now. They'd have to stop sales completely for that to happen in 3 years.
    richardat likes this.
    11-13-13 05:50 PM
    More than that. Android is already selling that many per year now. They'd have to stop sales completely for that to happen in 3 years.
    Yep, I meant to say BB would have to sell some half a billion devices per year for 3 full years.

But you're right, even that may not do it.

The scale of the Android machine is enormous now. I'm posting this from an iPhone, which I still prefer, but there is no doubt mine is the minority choice now.

11-13-13 05:53 PM
561 ... 1819202122 ...