11-25-13 02:02 PM
561 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Great but most BlackBerry owners ... the vast majority , want to go to a spot like BlackBerry World or Google Play and download their paid and free apps.
    The obvious response to this would be it is very likely somebody would develop a central location to install all the .apk files from (official or not)
    11-12-13 09:37 PM
    So, something must be getting worked out behind the scenes. After denouncing sideloading as piracy, there's no way BBRY would make it easier without an agreement being hammered out.

Or would it?
    Google is an open company. How hard is it?
    11-12-13 10:36 PM
    I believe there is something good happening. Hopefully the new management can focus on marketing and win back some good name for BB.
    11-13-13 08:10 AM
    I'd sooner trust the facts that back up why this isn't happening.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    POW, right in da kissa
    11-13-13 09:21 AM
    So, 12 pages later here is what I get from this pissing match

BB want you to believe it isn't happening
    "LeaksTeam" wants you to believe it knows more than it actually does (tools think they're the iPhone dev team or something)
    People don't actually know what to believe
    No one wants to watch video on an iPod
    AND
    7" Tablets are DOA

You're welcome.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    11-13-13 09:31 AM
    And the speculation continues with that ambiguous statement...

Personally, I'd love to see BlackBerry come to an agreement with Google in terms of access to the Google Play Store. And considering that Google is a software company it would make sense. They have no allegiance to Samsung in particular as the most popular Android hardware manufacturer...

As usual, interesting times.
    firstly, google is an Ad Agency...
    11-13-13 09:36 AM
    First off, BB world share of phone market is now just over 1%. Android is over 80%. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what the buying public wants. To turn Blackberry around, we need to address the needs of the buying public. If BB10 is left intact, developers can still continue to add native BB10 Business/Enterprise apps. So the BB10 security is still there for the Government/Enterprise clients and yet Android apps can be downloaded and installed (easily) by the regular buying public. BB10 phones are superior to their competitors except that this 'app gap' exists and can never be closed waiting for developers to write apps for Blackberry.

Some people on this board have mentioned that it's better to just buy off the top app developers so as to have Instagram etc. Problem is... top apps come and go so quickly Blackberry could never keep up. This is not attractive to the buying public. They don't want to wait so once again... look at the Blackberry % of world sales now. How much lower can we go??

Making Android apps available - by hook or by crook - is the only way for Blackberry to survive. Unless of course we want it to shrink down to a 2 or 3 million phones a year company. Microsoft bailed out Apple. Can Blackberry not make an alliance with Google or some other powerful company?
    11-13-13 10:30 AM

"LeaksTeam" wants you to believe it knows more than it actually does (tools think they're the iPhone dev team or something)
    AND
    7" Tablets are DOA

You're welcome.
    you have to add, that 1055 build has ability to install .apk directly
    11-13-13 10:33 AM
    First off, BB world share of phone market is now just over 1%. Android is over 80%. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what the buying public wants. To turn Blackberry around, we need to address the needs of the buying public. If BB10 is left intact, developers can still continue to add native BB10 Business/Enterprise apps. So the BB10 security is still there for the Government/Enterprise clients and yet Android apps can be downloaded and installed (easily) by the regular buying public. BB10 phones are superior to their competitors except that this 'app gap' exists and can never be closed waiting for developers to write apps for Blackberry.

Some people on this board have mentioned that it's better to just buy off the top app developers so as to have Instagram etc. Problem is... top apps come and go so quickly Blackberry could never keep up. This is not attractive to the buying public. They don't want to wait so once again... look at the Blackberry % of world sales now. How much lower can we go??

Making Android apps available - by hook or by crook - is the only way for Blackberry to survive. Unless of course we want it to shrink down to a 2 or 3 million phones a year company. Microsoft bailed out Apple. Can Blackberry not make an alliance with Google or some other powerful company?
    The phone buying public does not want to acquire apps by hook or crook.
    11-13-13 10:57 AM
    If that's true (I'm sure you know if you're loyal enough to the leakers) it's merely "sideload v2" and is likely there for developers to test their software, not for the end user. Time will tell.

11-13-13 11:35 AM
    That's the thing that bothers me - by hook or crook - where are these apk's coming from?

Is BlackBerry going to curate these things? I sure hope so.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:36 AM
    Right now they're just downloaded illegally and shared without concern, why change a winning system....

Like i said, I don't believe "sideload v2" is aimed at the end user, too much room for piracy.

That's the thing that bothers me - by hook or crook - where are these apk's coming from?

Is BlackBerry going to curate these things? I sure hope so.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:39 AM

Like i said, I don't believe "sideload v2" is aimed at the end user, too much room for piracy.
    But there is no reason to unlock the runtime for developers who want to test their own apps.

If there is no agreement with Google, then Sideload v2, as you call it, starts to look like an attempt to look the other way while someone makes collections of pirated apks in this desperate attempt to save the platform.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, m1a1mg, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    11-13-13 11:47 AM
    Right now they're just downloaded illegally and shared without concern, why change a winning system....

At this point, I really don't think BB cares about piracy. Every conversation I've had with their dev team about Android piracy has resulted them in blaming Android for the problem rather than accepting at least part of the blame for giving their users the "keys" to run the pirated apps. It's hypocritical of them, but that's nothing new.

I think this new sideload ability is aimed at the end users, and will likely cause a lot of damage to Blackberry's current developer relations. When you install an APk directly now, there's a very "user centric" message that your presented with about not being an official blackberry app and they're not responsible yada yada... Seems like a desperation move as a last ditch effort from the Heins era. Hopefully Chen weighs the repercussions very carefully.
    11-13-13 11:47 AM
    At this point, I really don't think BB cares about piracy. Every conversation I've had with their dev team about Android piracy has resulted them in blaming Android for the problem rather than accepting at least part of the blame for giving their users the "keys" to run the pirated apps. It's hypocritical of them, but that's nothing new.

I think this new sideload ability is aimed at the end users, and will likely cause a lot of damage to Blackberry's current developer relations. When you install an APk directly now, there's a very "user centric" message that your presented with about not being an official blackberry app and they're not responsible yada yada... Seems like a desperation move as a last ditch effort from the Heins era. Hopefully Chen weighs the repercussions very carefully.
    Well what it comes down to is we wouldn't need Android apps if native devs were building the apps we need. This is a good move for certain apps such as Netflix which can't be put on the platform through a third party.

What it comes down to is that native devs need to get to work! It is what it is!

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:54 AM
    Well what it comes down to is we wouldn't need Android apps if native devs were building the apps we need. This is a good move for certain apps such as Netflix which can't be put on the platform through a third party.
    BlackBerry can make a better, more complete runtime without totally unlocking it. Then that makes it easier and more cost effective for Netflix to list in BB world, while still respecting Netflix's ownership of their app.

What it comes down to is that native devs need to get to work! It is what it is!
    When it comes down to it, BlackBerry has to sell enough of their custom OS to justify developer interest, or they need to make a proper certified Android phone.

It is what it is.

11-13-13 12:02 PM
    BlackBerry can make a better, more complete runtime without totally unlocking it. Then that makes it easier and more cost effective for Netflix to list in BB world, while still respecting Netflix's ownership of their app.

When it comes down to it, BlackBerry has to sell enough of their custom OS to justify developer interest, or they need to make a proper certified Android phone.

It is what it is.

This, times 1000.

While as a bb10 user I would like to get easier sideloading because of how much better Googles apps are, I can't help but think that BlackBerry has shown such a blatant disregard for developers rights, and other oses, in allowing outright piracy and trying to sell it as a bargaining position.
    They're actually going out of their way to make piracy easier, it's flabbergasting.

While everyone here talks about how BlackBerry is the underdog and other people are using underhand tactics, nothing is more underhand than cheating and stealing and doing it blatantly.

As you said, if they didn't and don't have the resources to make and maintain and populate their own Os and ecosystem, they should have joined someone who could compete.
    Being bad at what you do and making an inadequate product is no excuse to encourage stealing what other people work hard for. If I didn't need my physical keyboard I'd find it very hard to not strongly discourage anyone from getting a BlackBerry under the current regime.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 12:10 PM

AND
    7" Tablets are DOA

You're welcome.
    So now we've resorted to name calling again. "So now we're TOOLS?". Nice. And coming from someone who actually knows nothing about what's already out there or coming.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-13-13 12:23 PM
    If that's true (I'm sure you know if you're loyal enough to the leakers) it's merely "sideload v2" and is likely there for developers to test their software, not for the end user. Time will tell.
    Nope. WRONG again. Strike 2

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-13-13 12:23 PM

It is what it is.

Native devs are as critical to there own success by ensuring there is an app available on the platform. If blackberry needs to run over native devs to have apps available then they have to Do just so.

We need a robust ecosystem. Native devs aren't investing in the platform hence why we see apk support.

To a regular consumer an app is an app and most would be unaware of native apps vs Android apps.

IMHO an app that is native vs an Android app is one in the same. Many Android apps are fantastic and function as though they are native to the platform.

I hold no bias to native vs Android apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 12:26 PM
    I didn't mean the apps would have to been somehow acquired by the public by hook or by crook. I meant that Blackberry needs to address this and make it happen - by hook or by crook.
    k8bushlover likes this.
    11-13-13 12:26 PM
    Yeah, what happens at "strike 3"? Are my leak privileges revoked?

Pirates like you get no respect from me, bubba. Live with it.

Nope. WRONG again. Strike 2

11-13-13 12:29 PM
    All this could be resolved if BB dumped BB10 and simply developed a BB10 skin for Android. If these rumors are true, then native developers for BB10 are screwed anyway, so why not make a kick-**** Android phone that keeps most of the cosmetic BB10 functionality? These work-arounds seem complicated and pointless to me. But then again, I have the IQ of a gnat.
    11-13-13 01:39 PM
    All this could be resolved if BB dumped BB10 and simply developed a BB10 skin for Android. If these rumors are true, then native developers for BB10 are screwed anyway, so why not make a kick-**** Android phone that keeps most of the cosmetic BB10 functionality?
    I'm sure it's in the works.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-13-13 01:57 PM

AND
    7" Tablets are DOA

You're welcome.

Yeah, what happens at "strike 3"? Are my leak privileges revoked?

Pirates like you get no respect from me, bubba. Live with it.
    I freely admit I haven't read more than this page. So thanks for the pithy summary. I will conclude that the other 400 comments are proportionately full of legal and factual inaccuracies, as well as embarrassingly childish behavior.

I love it when people use terms like "illegal" so artfully.
    11-13-13 02:15 PM
561 ... 1718192021 ...