11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Hey All,

Sorry on my delayed response here.

Regarding statement from BlackBerry, I received this last night (while sleeping):

"There is no planned support for Google Play on BlackBerry. BlackBerry World remains the primary source for trusted and curated BlackBerry applications and we continue to support open standards and open source tools so BlackBerry developers can continue to create great apps on any of the development platforms we support."

Which to be honest, while I was waiting on receiving the statement from BlackBerry since reaching out to BBRY over the weekend and starting this thread Monday, sort of expected it to come back this way. Here's why: If it's a false rumor, then they're going to provide precisely this sort of statement to shoot it down. And also, if it's a legit rumor/news, and Google *is* a partner involved in it, then BlackBerry would also have to deny it as it's not their place to respond and say it's happening as another partner is involved. So either way, it had to get shot down right now (though if an outrageously false rumor, you'd maybe expect it to get shot down even faster).

This is why I didn't want us to post anything on the blogs, as you sort of could telepath what would happen. Feels like it's happening, can find lots of unofficial sources who say something is in the works, but officially will have to deny it. Best to just leave that discussion in the community for now vs. broadcast it and look silly.

And because it's an official statement, you can't deny what's written. I think my takeaway is that right now it still feels that "something interesting" is going to be happening in 10.2.1. And given all the interest right now, I hope we find out sooner rather than later.
    11-12-13 05:45 AM
    Thanks Kevin.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:48 AM
    On the 10.2.1.1055 thread, people are posting screenshots of APK files being installed directly from within the BlackBerry 10 phones.

So I guess it holds true to some extent.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:51 AM
    Hey All,

Regarding statement from BlackBerry, I received this last night (while sleeping):

"There is no planned support for Google Play on BlackBerry. BlackBerry World remains the primary source for trusted and curated BlackBerry applications and we continue to support open standards and open source tools so BlackBerry developers can continue to create great apps on any of the development platforms we support."

Which to be honest, while I was waiting on receiving the statement from BlackBerry all day yesterday since starting this thread, sort of expected it to come back this way. Here's why: If it's a false rumor, then they're going to provide precisely this sort of statement to shoot it down. And also, if it's a legit rumor/news, and Google *is* a partner involved in it, then BlackBerry would also have to deny it as it's not their place to respond and say it's happening as another partner is involved. So either way, it had to get shot down right now.

This is why I didn't want us to post anything on the blogs, as you sort of could telepath what would happen. Feels like it's happening, can find lots of unofficial sources who say it's happening, but officially will have to deny it. Best to just leave that discussion in the community for now vs. broadcast it and look silly.

And because it's an official statement, you can't deny what's written. I think my takeaway is that right now it still feels that "something interesting" is going to be happening in 10.2.1. And given all the interest right now, I hope we find out sooner rather than later.
    Thanks Kevin for confirming the legitimacy of N4BB's reporting last night, they received the same reply, and for adding your own additional commentary on the response you recieved from BlackBerry.

I hope you're enjoying your time in France and have settled in for the beginning of the day with a hot cup of coffee. Although you may be on a lunch break of sorts by this point. There's plenty for you to catch up on from last night if you haven't already.

Exciting times ahead!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:52 AM
    Guess we have lucked out after all
    Last edited by Meok; 11-12-13 at 06:00 AM. Reason: No longer relevant
    11-12-13 05:58 AM
    Use your mentality, what part of "official statement" is unclear? It's one thing for him to report rumours but when he actually quotes BBRY, you don't think someone would step in if he'd simply made up the quote?

The religious fervour gripping some of you is unhealthy.
    Rubbish!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 06:03 AM
    Expected, but lets keep our spirits high. The new leak is great. Hopefully we can side load most of the apps including Viber and Tango.

Hey All,

Which to be honest, while I was waiting on receiving the statement from BlackBerry since reaching out to BBRY over the weekend and starting this thread Monday, sort of expected it to come back this way. Here's why: If it's a false rumor, then they're going to provide precisely this sort of statement to shoot it down. And also, if it's a legit rumor/news, and Google *is* a partner involved in it, then BlackBerry would also have to deny it as it's not their place to respond and say it's happening as another partner is involved. So either way, it had to get shot down right now (though if an outrageously false rumor, you'd maybe expect it to get shot down even faster).

This is why I didn't want us to post anything on the blogs, as you sort of could telepath what would happen. Feels like it's happening, can find lots of unofficial sources who say something is in the works, but officially will have to deny it. Best to just leave that discussion in the community for now vs. broadcast it and look silly.

11-12-13 06:03 AM
    So let me get this straight: because BBRY denied the rumor, that means there's still a fifty-fifty chance it's true?

Ask BBRY about the rumor that the $1 billion infusion they're receiving is being transferred directly into my bank account. Of course, they will deny it. But stay tuned, and if it turns out to be true, I'll buy everyone on CB their own PS4.
    11-12-13 06:14 AM
    So let me get this straight: because BBRY denied the rumor, that means there's still a fifty-fifty chance it's true?

Ask BBRY about the rumor that the $1 billion infusion they're receiving is being transferred directly into my bank account. Of course, they will deny it. But stay tuned, and if it turns out to be true, I'll buy everyone on CB their own PS4.
    LOL.
    11-12-13 06:16 AM
    Well official denial or not, the latest leak allows people to install apks directly, rather than bar conversion. For me, this is a step forward. And whether or not Google Play will be supported, BB10 will still be my choice for OS.
    11-12-13 06:52 AM
    My god some people lie through their teeth.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 06:58 AM
    Google may still be trying to nail down which of BlackBerry's patents they'd receive in exchange. I imagine that negotiation takes a while.
    11-12-13 07:17 AM
    Google may still be trying to nail down which of BlackBerry's patents they'd receive in exchange. I imagine that negotiation takes a while.
    Don't forget the NSA has to weigh in on all of this, too.
    Joseph Palmer likes this.
    11-12-13 07:18 AM
    Seems like a lot of people (cough bb4life cough) owe Catlin an apology.

Thanks for the tip Catlin.
    ray689 likes this.
    11-12-13 07:19 AM
    Don't forget the NSA has to weigh in on all of this, too.
    Plus SHIELD, The Avengers, Big Bird etc.
    rthonpm and fedakd like this.
    11-12-13 07:45 AM
    Rubbish!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Which bit? The bit that Kevin just confirmed?
    00stryder likes this.
    11-12-13 07:46 AM
    Seems like a lot of people (cough bb4life cough) owe Catlin an apology.

Thanks for the tip Catlin.
    Owe apology for what? This is NOT Google Play store. Actually READ my post. This is an alternative for sideload. When people were telling CatlinFD that because the alliance it wouldn't happen he said he can't wait to prove everyone wrong. He was wrong. Please READ (cough) eyehab before posting
    11-12-13 07:53 AM
    Plus SHIELD, The Avengers, Big Bird etc.
    Don't forget U2 and NRBQ as well...

At this point the mods should just start removing any posts with the letter N-S-A in them since 99% of them are just people talking with no grasp of facts.
    11-12-13 07:59 AM
    Rubbish!!!!

Posted via CB10
    So, if I understand you, BB needs to prove that they aren't doing something?
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-12-13 07:59 AM
    So, if I understand you, BB needs to prove that they aren't doing something?
    Just don't trust any of the sources on these sites which are posed as official/direct from blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 08:05 AM

I think Kevin is right...they chose their words carefully.
    What they are saying is you won't see a Google Play menu item..but with the ability to directly install apk files, they could easily separate by having their "built for BlackBerry" and "Android" categories in BlackBerry World and have most/all of the apps from Google Play listed....In essence the same thing as having Google Play, but still "officially" not supporting Google Play. The integrated approach would make much more sense than having BlackBerry World and Google Play icons.

Screenshots (if real) of Google Play could just be the Dev testing before the BlackBerry World integration work is complete.
    bennelong and fedakd like this.
    11-12-13 08:10 AM
    Whatever is fact or rumor may be irrelevant here. The most relevant issue is whether BlackBerry must link to Google Play or die. I assume it must. The big question then is what next? End of BlackBerry World? End of bb10? Absorption of BlackBerry by Google? Or live on BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 08:53 AM
    Talking about this in the office today. Someone said "remember when we were saying it wasn't worth building apps for BlackBerry customers because their customers don't care about apps? Maybe it turns out they do?"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    00stryder and m1a1mg like this.
    11-12-13 08:56 AM
    I don't believe it's working this way. Those apps belong to various providers that explicitly posted them on Google Play, not on BlackBerry World. Google has not the right to pass them on to other app stores without the consent of their vendors.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5
    I know it's not something that Google can do without permission from the app owners themselves, and that's not what I was implying. What I meant was that like we heard several months back that some unknown third party was going to convert a large number of Android apps for BB10, the function of migrating the apps over from the Play Store may be something that Google handles themselves as part of whatever agreement is being worked on right now.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 08:59 AM
    I think Kevin is right...they chose their words carefully.
    What they are saying is you won't see a Google Play menu item..but with the ability to directly install apk files, they could easily separate by having their "built for BlackBerry" and "Android" categories in BlackBerry World and have most/all of the apps from Google Play listed....In essence the same thing as having Google Play, but still "officially" not supporting Google Play. The integrated approach would make much more sense than having BlackBerry World and Google Play icons.

Screenshots (if real) of Google Play could just be the Dev testing before the BlackBerry World integration work is complete.
    There is still the issue that they have to get agreement from the publishers of the apps. Google doesn't have the right to redistribute these apps through other stores.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-12-13 09:00 AM
561 ... 1516171819 ...