11-25-13 01:02 PM
561 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    I don't want someone else's App Store on BB10.

I want us to have our own ****.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 02:56 AM
    Ok in the most simplest of terms can you explain what you are trying to show here. I want to make sure I'm on the same page. So as of now we all agree that play store is no more right? So is this BlackBerry getting these apps directly or just another work around like side loading
    No one agreed with that statement. No. Not from the team anyway. And for the record. This is thurask. Loading an Apk directly on phone. No converting. No side loading. He used Netflix (the current one that never worked before) as his example.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-12-13 03:14 AM
    This solution is perfect, the people who want the appstore can download it and the ones who don't, don't. No side loading necessary makes everyone happy and lack of apps is solved. Developers aren't alienated, everyone is happy.

Posted via CB10
    Wigley458 likes this.
    11-12-13 03:21 AM
    Wigley.. please open the big thing.... we all are waiting.
    Or else at least tell us when would you be telling us likely..... pleasee....

No one agreed with that statement. No. Not from the team anyway. And for the record. This is thurask. Loading an Apk directly on phone. No converting. No side loading. He used Netflix (the current one that never worked before) as his example.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.xxx member/co-founder Berryleaks. From CB10. My channel C000B3B57. Team channel C00032537
    11-12-13 03:25 AM
    Usually what is meant by binary-compatible is that executable programs will run unchanged (that is without recompilation) but that means that the operating system (OS) and hardware in general (to the extent that it is used) has to be the same, or that the OS is application binary interface (ABI) compatible, which makes it a "binary compatible operating system". The hardware doesn't have to be the same if it is compatible at the hardware level or if the differences are hidden by an API (by the OS). If not a general porting of the software can be used to make non-binary-compatible programs work.

Binary compatible operating systems are operating systems who aim to implement binary compatibility with another operating system, or another variant of the same brand. This means that they are ABI-compatible (for application binary interface). As the job of an operating system is to run actual programs, the instruction set architectures running the operating systems have to be the same, compatible or else an CPU emulator or a faster dynamic translation mechanisim is sometimes provided that makes them more-or-less compatible.

For example, the Linux kernel is not compatible with Windows. This does not mean that Linux can't be binary compatible with Windows applications. Additional software, Wine, is available that does that to some degree. The ReactOS operating system development effort, seeks to create an open source, free software operating system that is binary compatible with Microsoft's Windows NT family of operating systems using Wine for application compatibility and reimplementing the Windows kernel for additional compatibility such as for drivers whereas Linux would use Linux drivers not Windows drivers. FreeBSD and other members of the BSD family have binary compatibility with the Linux kernel in usermode by translating Linux system calls into BSD ones. This enables the application and libraries code that run on Linux-based operating systems to be run on BSD as well.

Note that a binary compatible operating system is different from running another full OS under virtualization or emulation, to enable software for that other operating system to run, when the host OS isn't compatible. Sometimes however virtualiztion is provided with the host OS (or can such software can be obtained), which effectively makes the host operating system compatible with programs. For example Windows XP Mode for Windows 7, which allows users to run a 64-bit version of Windows 7 and have very old software still work in a 32-bit virtual machine running Windows XP, and VMware Workstation/VMware Fusion, Parallels Workstation, and Windows Virtual PC, which allow other operating systems to be run on Windows, Linux, and OS X.

For another example, Mac OS X on the PowerPC had the ability to run Mac OS 9 and earlier application software through Classic?but this did not make OS X a binary compatible operating system with Mac OS 9. Instead, the Classic environment was actually running Mac OS 9.1 in a virtual machine, running as a normal process inside of the OS X operating system.

My Channel: Geeks United C00122408
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binar..._compatibility

Sorry if this seems out of place but I had to Google what he said and I found that it was straight off Wikipedia.
    Credit to Wikipedia

Z10 via CB10
    11-12-13 03:35 AM

Sorry if this seems out of place but I had to Google what he said and I found that it was straight off Wikipedia.
    Credit to Wikipedia

Z10 via CB10
    LOL, the internet's a fantastic place

Posted via CB10
    bennelong, xiaohuaxing and m1a1mg like this.
    11-12-13 03:47 AM
    According to Bla1ze, Kevin is sleeping in France right now with his data off. So no contacting him.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't it time to get up now? :-p

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 04:08 AM
    No there isn't. Nothing but fan desire for it to be true.

There is nothing to suggest there will be any access to the play store or the Play Services. All there has been, is an evolution towards .apk support, which had nothing to do with the Play Store and/or Services.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Yes. For all anyone knows, BlackBerry World could end up hosting APKs.

Z10 via CB10
    11-12-13 04:23 AM
    I'm still in the camp of those who hate the Android app player, I think they just need to get more native devs on board. To be clear, I have no problem with Android apps in general but I don't want to run them on my BlackBerry device. I have an HTC One for that. I understand it helps *some* folks adopt BlackBerry 10 better but if the effort was there for native apps in the first place then there would be no need for Android ports.
    I was also in that camp, but the updated runtime changed my mind...IF apps are fluid and run perfectly smoothly, then I see no reason not to port them. Sure you change your "native" feel, but if it is a game it doesn't matter, if it is a quality, you won't notice it (at least I don't feeld the need for a native rtl.be app to take an example (local belgan news) ported by tapptic)
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    11-12-13 04:24 AM

Ok. Sorry I wasn't clear but I'm not a tech guy at all. So in even in simpler terms can you tell me what loading a apk directly on the phone means and entails. That's why I was excited about play store. The easier the better for me when it comes to apps
    11-12-13 04:30 AM
    Why would you want this? If you want android apps so desperately, why not get an android phone?
    to have the BB10 OS experience, which is the best out there, without limitations on what apps you can have.... (or without having to be plugged into a computer, if you sideload)...

I thought that was obvious.
    Boodrew and thisiscjay like this.
    11-12-13 04:35 AM

Do you all gripe about Discover Channel when they title a show "Finding Bigfoot"?
    Bigfoot is coming to BB10 for real? This is great news!

Swyped in Tapatalk
    11-12-13 05:00 AM

Credit to Wikipedia

Z10 via CB10
    Wow. That's funny.

Posted via CB10
    bennelong likes this.
    11-12-13 05:02 AM
    Ok. Sorry I wasn't clear but I'm not a tech guy at all. So in even in simpler terms can you tell me what loading a apk directly on the phone means and entails. That's why I was excited about play store. The easier the better for me when it comes to apps
    I'll give this a go,
    .apk is the file format that android apps use. On our BB10 devices we use a format called .bar.

If an android app is ported to BB10 it is first translated, or wrapped up in a .bar file format.

On a computer you can unzip this file and view the original .apk.

Everything from BBWorld is in .bar format and currently it is the only format that can officially be installed on our phones.

Although this doesn't make things quite as easy as just opening up Google Play Store on your phone and clicking download/install, it does make things a whole lot more simple.

On previous builds we needed to find ways to download .apks to our computers, convert that file to a .bar, which might include getting a debug token and a lot of other software. Then hooking the phone up to the computer and 'sideloading' the new .bar file to the phone using software or web apps that could handle this task.

Now it is as simple as navigating to a third party store, or a android .apk file somewhere on the Internet from your phone's browser, clicking download on the file, and then selecting the file for more options and choosing to install it.

BlackBerry removed a whole lot of steps from this process in this latest update and seems to have added more permissions for the Android runtime to use.

Just have to find reliable sources to download Android App install files from and you're two clicks away from installing it.

Some apps won't work still (Google framework apps specifically), but many more will!

Hope that makes the process and advantages a little more clear.
    Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:03 AM
    I think that a deal has been struck for google services to work on BB10 android runtime, such as google, chrome, handouts, google maps, YouTube app, google drive etc.
    araskin likes this.
    11-12-13 05:07 AM
    I'll give this a go,
    .apk is the file format that android apps use. On our BB10 devices we use a format called .bar.

If an android app is ported to BB10 it is first translated, or wrapped up in a .bar file format.

Everything from BBWorld is in .bar format and currently it is the only format that can officially be installed on our phones.

Although this doesn't make things quite as easy as just opening up Google Play Store on your phone and clicking download/install, it does make things a whole lot more simple.

On previous builds we needed to find ways to download .apks to our computers, convert that file to a .bar, which night include getting a debug token and a lot of other software. Then hooking the phone up to the computer and 'sideloading' the new .bar file to the phone using software or Web apps that could handle this task.

Now it is as simple as navigating to a third party store, or a android .apk file somewhere on the Internet from your phone's browser, clicking download on the file, and then selecting the file for more options and choosing to install it.

BlackBerry removed a whole lot of steps from this process in this latest update and seems to have added more permissions for the Android runtime to use.

Just got to find reliable sources to download Android App install files from and you're two clicks away from installing it.

Some apps won't work still (Google framework apps specifically), but many more will!

Posted via CB10
    Yes. And thank you for that great explanation. Except one little thing. At end. GFWS does work .

11-12-13 05:08 AM
    I'll give this a go,

On previous builds we needed to find ways to download .apks to our computers, convert that file to a .bar, which night include getting a debug token and a lot of other software. Then hooking the phone up to the computer and 'sideloading' the new .bar file to the phone using software or Web apps that could handle this task.

Just got to find reliable sources to download Android App install files from and you're two clicks away from installing it.

Posted via CB10
    Ok to summarize that....pretty much it will be like side loading apps but instead of using laptop directly from browser? Am I close? Also would BlackBerry have a secure place we can get these apps??
    11-12-13 05:09 AM
    Wow. That's funny.

Posted via CB10
    I thought he suddenly sounded very clued-up.
    B-)

Z10 via CB10
    grover5 likes this.
    11-12-13 05:10 AM
    Yes. And thank you for that great explanation. Except one little thing. At end. GFWS does work .

Well aren't you full of wonderful surprises! As far as I saw on the leak thread people were still having issues with GFWS, but you know better than I do, so thanks for that correction!

This is an exciting day to be a BB10 user, so many new features coming our way!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:12 AM
    Ok to summarize that....pretty much it will be like side loading apps but instead of using laptop directly from browser? Am I close? Also would BlackBerry have a secure place we can get these apps??
    BlackBerry World would be nice.
    Disclaimer: I've reached out to nobody and this is a product of my imagination.

Z10 via CB10
    11-12-13 05:14 AM
    Yeah it's essentially making side loading as simple as possible. As for your other question I have no idea, but that sure would make things more simple. We'll have to wait and see what they do with this for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:14 AM
    So, something must be getting worked out behind the scenes. After denouncing sideloading as piracy, there's no way BBRY would make it easier without an agreement being hammered out.

Or would it?
    11-12-13 05:23 AM
    Yeah it's essentially making side loading as simple as possible. As for your other question I have no idea, but that sure would make things more simple. We'll have to wait and see what they do with this for consumers.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for explanation. Now this might be reaching but... any time table for this. Unfortunately my patience is wearing thin with bb10. Play store had me excited for the first time in a while. Hopefully this will fill the void.
    11-12-13 05:27 AM
    Oh its tempting to know, but surprises are great. Lets wait.

And more to come . Don't be so surprised either

11-12-13 05:36 AM
    Again, no idea on an official time line as I don't have any sources at BlackBerry, which sucks cause its practically in my backyard.

However, if a proper file is put together this week I can put up a post to walk you through backing up your phone using Sachesi (third party software that doesn't cause certain errors, that BBlink does, to be replicated in recent builds), installing leaked software, and restoring all your data back to how it was. And answer any questions you may have a long the way.

It might be a slightly time consuming project, 2-3hrs, but I'm willing to walk you through it all if you want to get it up and running on your device. (Again, only if the proper files get released to make this easy as possible, otherwise I'd suggest settling in for a month or two, maybe more, of waiting depending on what carrier you have)

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 05:41 AM
561 ... 1415161718 ...