11-25-13 02:02 PM
561 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    TickerGuy confirmed that this is INDEED possible within bb10 as he is currently running .apks if I am not mistaken...
    Correct. Plus moneytoo has already shown that you can install Google Play Services. It just needs to be integrated better and embedded. GSF cannot be installed because of a blacklist but it is embedded into the runtime and re-enabled. Google Play Services and GSF embedded into the runtime and fully enabled would mean a lot more applications would work. Even without Google Play, this would mean the majority of applications would work and be fully functional?
    11-11-13 10:29 PM
    It's obvious to me that this rumor will live on no matter how many times it is officially denied. As long as people insist on discussing it on a thread on a forum like this then it will eventually take on a life of its own and escape. There was a rumored Palm smartphone, the C40, that never had any basis other than one line in a retail computer inventory screen shot and that one persisted on that desperate forum for many months.
    notfanboy and Anilu7 like this.
    11-11-13 10:31 PM
    There really should just be a universal app store. Kinda like how any tv can get any channel. Its silly that we have all these app stores for specific devices. Just make a minimum requirement for you app and let everyone who can, download it.
    I think it more likely that peace suddenly breaks out everywhere on the planet.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-11-13 10:34 PM
    It's obvious to me that this rumor will live on no matter how many times it is officially denied. As long as people insist on discussing it on a thread on a forum like this then it will eventually take on a life of its own and escape. There was a rumored Palm smartphone, the C40, that never had any basis other than one line in a retail computer inventory screen shot and that one persisted on that desperate forum for many months.
    And you referenced the Palm C40 so obviously it was a good rumour, one that lived on.
    11-11-13 10:35 PM
    Let's hope something does come out of the rumors because something does exist internally. But will it see the light of day?
    Sorry to say, but that right there is definitely some back-peddling from your earlier stance.
    Anilu7 and m1a1mg like this.
    11-11-13 10:40 PM
    Correct. Plus moneytoo has already shown that you can install Google Play Services. It just needs to be integrated better and embedded. GSF cannot be installed because of a blacklist but it is embedded into the runtime and re-enabled. Google Play Services and GSF embedded into the runtime and fully enabled would mean a lot more applications would work. Even without Google Play, this would mean the majority of applications would work and be fully functional?
    That is true, and with those changes it would be much easier to justify porting our apps to BB world. That removes a huge impediment.

But I think BlackBerry can't just push this out to users unilaterally without Google agreeing to it. These things belong to Google, not BlackBerry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by app_Developer; 11-11-13 at 11:13 PM.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-11-13 10:41 PM
    Didn't it end up being a bit more than that though in the end? - This is the C40: the Sprint Palm Pre 2 that never was | webOS Nation
    11-11-13 10:41 PM
    You stated this and you stated that. You also called CJH_ a "professional troll" and attacked him for his view (which at least he took the time to back up). That's inexcusable behaviour on CB and you're still defending yourself. CB is a place for debate, yes, attacks, no.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair CatlinFD stated he saw and used the Play Store on employee devices. He provided very reasonable arguements of how this is possible, and his source is primary and secondary. He has himself as a primary source, and the employees he is friends with as secondary sources.

On the other hand, CJH_ provided out of date sources, misunderstanding of the QNX architecture, and seems to have continually ignored the fact that B1aze!, the BerryLeaks Team, and some other members have povided commentary supporting, or not entirely denying that this is going on.
    B1aze! didn't full out deny it, and for now is waiting for Kevin to step in with further sources.
    BerryLeaks (HaTax) has access to more current information than anyone else on these forums regarding whats coming in the future.
    Other members have reported seeing the same from their contacts as well (this is the weakest support, but some of these members aren't known for making wild accusations, and neither is CatlinFD!

CJH_ doesn't seem to understand that switching from DalvikVM to ART has no impact on the current android runtime on BB. For the foreseeable future (probably about 3 years) all apps will have to retain compatibility for both runtimes. This is because not all android hardware is equal, but developers will want to maximize their audience and legacy devices will need to remain supported for a reasonable amount of time. Also ART is available in KitKat, but as nothing more than a developer preview currently. Don't count on it being the main runtime in KitKat or the next iteration of Android. We're looking at 2+ years for full implementation. BlackBerry would be more than capable of switching to ART in that time. Chris_Simundson also stated that ART would make this seem more realistic for BB to actually get full GPlay access (it would make it easier). At the same time he is not a fan of the idea, and is currently disputing it happening.

In the case of CatlinFD not naming his secondary sources, well would you name your BlackBerry Employee friends and get them all fired and fined for breaking their company NDAs? I know I wouldn't do that to my friends.

Oh and as pointed out TAT/BB Sweden are already members of the OHA and CJH_ seems to have no problem discounting this for whatever reason. Although it completely invalidates his source from the beginning.

I can understand CatlinFD wanting a signed official response as pretty much all the ones I have seen in the past from BlackBerry include the responding persons title and name. Also there is no reason for a person making response on behalf of the company to hide their identity unless they're doing so in a non official capacity. That being said Lucas most likely would not post an unofficial response calling it official.

Throughout all these threads I can say the most annoying posts that have contributed very little to the overall conversation have been from you Anilu7, CJH_, BUHC, and a few other less notable members. I believe the forums would be a much more enjoyable place without these users, and wonder if a Moderator could check Anilu7 and CJH_ ISPs to determine if they are actually the same user.

I lean towards believing CatlinFD and will defend his position, rumours come about before any trusted sources can be quoted for obvious reasons. I feel however CatlinFD is trustworthy enough to believe him in what he has seen. I think this would be very beneficial to BB and as a shareholer myself, hope to see this implemented in some manner.

I'll try to stay realistic though and respect arguments against why this won't happen, including the latest news from N4BB. I'll always support Native Developers when I can, but I think a move to open up access to more Apps is necessary for the survival of this platform. The sheer amount of attention being payed to this thread alone should send a clear message to BlackBerry that if this is not happening, it most definitely should.

Here's to hoping you're right and truthful in your claims CatlinFD!

Edited: didn't know to refer to CatlinFD as he or she. Now I know.
    Last edited by PlayBookUserMT; 11-11-13 at 11:00 PM.
    11-11-13 10:48 PM
    As much as this news sucks, nothing is definite. I don't think BlackBerry would flat out deny such a rumour without a Press Release. If they did respond to a query on the existence of this knowledge then it would likely be something along the lines that they don't respond to rumours as they have in the past. (see past responses from BlackBerry)

Lastly, Kevin would have also got the same reply and it would likely be posted here already. So N4BB posting such a claim without noting any sources leads me to believe that they are either uninformed or have a response from someone, possibly at BlackBerry with little knowledge of what's actually going on.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:57 PM
    As much as this news sucks, nothing is definite. I don't think BlackBerry would flat out deny such a rumour without a Press Release. If they did respond to a query on the existence of this knowledge then it would likely be something along the lines that they don't respond to rumours as they have in the past. (see past responses from BlackBerry)

Lastly, Kevin would have also got the same reply and it would likely be posted here already. So N4BB posting such a claim without noting any sources leads me to believe that they are either uninformed or have a response from someone, possibly at BlackBerry with little knowledge of what's actually going on.

Posted via CB10
    According to Bla1ze, Kevin is sleeping in France right now with his data off. So no contacting him.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:59 PM
    I'm still in the camp of those who hate the Android app player, I think they just need to get more native devs on board. To be clear, I have no problem with Android apps in general but I don't want to run them on my BlackBerry device. I have an HTC One for that. I understand it helps *some* folks adopt BlackBerry 10 better but if the effort was there for native apps in the first place then there would be no need for Android ports.
    Thank you!!!! Finally someone who gets it.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:03 PM
    I just wish there was better filtering options, especially when going through the "New Arrival" list. It sucks wading through hundreds of audiobook and Offline GPS applications.
    I know what you mean: if the BlackBerry World curators would create a category "new standout apps" and only show apps added to BlackBerry World in the last 7 days that were chosen specifically by curators, that would probably get rid of most of the shovelware.
    app_Developer and R Field like this.
    11-11-13 11:08 PM

On the other hand, CJH_ provided out of date sources, misunderstanding of the QNX architecture, and seems to have continually ignored the fact that B1aze!, the BerryLeaks Team, and some other members have povided commentary supporting, or not entirely denying that this is going on.
    B1aze! didn't full out deny it, and for now is waiting for Kevin to step in with further sources.
    BerryLeaks (HaTax) has access to more current information than anyone else on these forums regarding whats coming in the future.
    Other members have reported seeing the same from their contacts as well (this is the weakest support, but some of these members aren't known for making wild accusations, and neither is CatlinFD!

Since my name is going to keep coming up, my info was based on what I've heard from very reputable people in the past who have gone hands-on with something internally and as such (and as I already noted) I chose my words very carefully so as to not misrepresent the information but give a nod to the possible reality of it based on the information shared with me and the common denominator being that this was something actively being worked on and/or tested.

Some people took it for what it was meant to be and others took it for something more. In the end, I can't really help those who took it for something more -- if they want to call me a liar or say I made it up.. whatever. I fully expect to hear more about this at some point in time in the future because as mentioned, this rumor won't die and whatever is happening internally, isn't likely to stop either.

I honestly don't care what BlackBerry says because they also said they weren't actively working on BBM on the desktop either and that the Jam Asia demo was something they just cooked up to show developers when all signs point to that being less than truthful as well. Maybe their over promising and under delivering days are over and this is something they really want to keep under wraps until it's really ready or maybe it's something that will never see the light of day outside of Waterloo. I look forward to reading about it in a 'Behind the Scenes look at BlackBerry' book at some point.

And on that note, I'm going to bed. Play nice folks.
    11-11-13 11:10 PM
    Since my name is going to keep coming up, my info was based on what I've heard from very reputable people in the past who have gone hands-on with something internally and as such (and as I already noted) I chose my words very carefully so as to not misrepresent the information but give a nod to the possible reality of it based on the information shared with me and the common denominator being that this was something actively being worked on and/or tested.

Some people took it for what it was meant to be and others took it for something more. In the end, I can't really help those who took it for something more -- if they want to call me a liar or say I made it up.. whatever. I fully expect to hear more about this at some point in time in the future because as mentioned, this rumor won't die and whatever is happening internally, isn't likely to stop either.

And on that note, I'm going to bed. Play nice folks.
    You were in the category of not entirely denying that something internally is going on.
    Not trying to give more weight to your words than what you meant.
    Also thanks for even more clearly stating the portion I bolded above. That is what I felt your statement represented.
    11-11-13 11:15 PM
    So I just found an interesting article:

"There has been a tremendous amount of rumour swirling the gender of CatlinFD. The rumour has it that Catlin is a male eastern European name, but eastern Europe is not part of the OHA so it may not be allowed to be used openly.
    We’ve reached out to BlackBerry for comment on the matter and received this official statement:
    "We can confirm nor deny the gender of CatlinFD. BlackBerry World remains the primary source for trusted and curated Usernames and we continue to support genderfree and openminded discussions of the platforms we support."
    For those hopefuls who thought that the gender of CatlinFD would finally be released and who think this knowledge would have been beneficial, you can keep dreaming. BlackBerry looks to keep their opinions wholesome through ignoring gender in BlackBerry World.

Source: N4BB.*
    ...Catlin is a "He"...
    * I rewrote the N4BB article into this piece, but it still has about the same credibility. No offense intended, I felt the topic needed some lighthearted interruption.
    11-11-13 11:15 PM
    Sorry to say, but that right there is definitely some back-peddling from your earlier stance.
    You know what. Do me a favor. Don't discourage the folks that hear things that might be true from posting. We don't know what might come of this. And this isn't just about you...in other words I'm not attacking you. But, I have no interest in the forums becoming the place where the skeptics who demonize the folks who have information are suddenly running the show. If you don't think it's true then so be it. But everyone chill on the witch hunts and the outing of those who do not "speak the truth".

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:16 PM
    To be fair CatlinFD stated he saw and used the Play Store on employee devices. He provided very reasonable arguements of how this is possible, and his source is primary and secondary. He has himself as a primary source, and the employees he is friends with as secondary sources.

CJH_ doesn't seem to understand that switching from DalvikVM to ART has no impact on the current android runtime on BB. For the foreseeable future (probably about 3 years) all apps will have to retain compatibility for both runtimes. This is because not all android hardware is equal, but developers will want to maximize their audience and legacy devices will need to remain supported for a reasonable amount of time. Also ART is available in KitKat, but as nothing more than a developer preview currently. Don't count on it being the main runtime in KitKat or the next iteration of Android. We're looking at 2+ years for full implementation. BlackBerry would be more than capable of switching to ART in that time. Chris_Simundson also stated that ART would make this seem more realistic for BB to actually get full GPlay access (it would make it easier). At the same time he is not a fan of the idea, and is currently disputing it happening.

In the case of CatlinFD not naming his secondary sources, well would you name your BlackBerry Employee friends and get them all fired and fined for breaking their company NDAs? I know I wouldn't do that to my friends.

Oh and as pointed out TAT/BB Sweden are already members of the OHA and CJH_ seems to have no problem discounting this for whatever reason. Although it completely invalidates his source from the beginning.

I can understand CatlinFD wanting a signed official response as pretty much all the ones I have seen in the past from BlackBerry include the responding persons title and name. Also there is no reason for a person making response on behalf of the company to hide their identity unless they're doing so in a non official capacity. That being said Lucas most likely would not post an unofficial response calling it official.

Throughout all these threads I can say the most annoying posts that have contributed very little to the overall conversation have been from you Anilu7, CJH_, BUHC, and a few other less notable members. I believe the forums would be a much more enjoyable place without these users, and wonder if a Moderator could check Anilu7 and CJH_ ISPs to determine if they are actually the same user.

I lean towards believing CatlinFD and will defend his position, rumours come about before any trusted sources can be quoted for obvious reasons. I feel however CatlinFD is trustworthy enough to believe him in what he has seen. I think this would be very beneficial to BB and as a shareholer myself, hope to see this implemented in some manner.

I'll try to stay realistic though and respect arguments against why this won't happen, including the latest news from N4BB. I'll always support Native Developers when I can, but I think a move to open up access to more Apps is necessary for the survival of this platform. The sheer amount of attention being payed to this thread alone should send a clear message to BlackBerry that if this is not happening, it most definitely should.

Here's to hoping you're right and truthful in your claims CatlinFD!

Edited: didn't know to refer to CatlinFD as he or she. Now I know.
    So you feel the posters that you named don't contribute and are annoying... just happen to be right. And you are overly defending CatlinFD even though he ended being wrong? CatlinFD is that you??

Ps if certain posters you don't like hearing from you can always click ignore button CatlinFD..i mean it playbookusermt
    Anilu7 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-11-13 11:21 PM
    Inspiring? The BlackBerry Team right now needs this:

They need to play Old-Time Hockey! The toughest team in the federal league. BlackBerry need to be on the war path!

Yeahhh, that would have been interesting. Hopefully it was.........inspiring.
    Anilu7 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:23 PM
    That's only assuming tickerguy is right. Only people who know enough about the subject could comment on that.

Posted via CB10
    I am running converted APKs (that I converted) that use native ARM code. They flag in the conversion but they also load and run. You do have to use a debug token (or an unlocked runtime) to load them, but once loaded they do not need either to actually operate.

It is thus proved that ABI (binary-level) interoperability does current exist within the Android runtime. The big issue right now is that a significant number of framework entry points are missing and/or blackballed, specifically those related to Google Maps integration (and anything related to Google's billing support) and as a result apps that try to pull up a location map (e.g. Starbucks' app) won't run.
    PlayBookUserMT likes this.
    11-11-13 11:29 PM
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-gettin...le-play-store/

"*UPDATE* ? While the pictures illustrating Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10 have been confirmed as fake, the negotiations between BlackBerry and Google are very real."

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:31 PM
    So you feel the posters that you named don't contribute and are annoying... just happen to be right. And you are overly defending CatlinFD even though he ended being wrong? CatlinFD is that you??

Ps if certain posters you don't like hearing from you can always click ignore button CatlinFD..i mean it playbookusermt
    No I am not CaitlinFD, ha ha. Thank you for glazing over my entire post.

We have confirmation that GPStore is not coming, as far as Lucas's source can be trusted. Which chances are, yes its trustworthy.

This does not mean that GPStore isn't running internally on employee hardware for other reasons, which is what CatlinFD has claimed to have seen. Therefore no, those user's did not happen to be right, as I outlined specifically where CJH_ was wrong, and CatlinFD didn't specifically happen to be wrong.

Let's have a mature discussion about this.

The reason I asked a Moderator verify they didn't have the same ISPs was because of Anilu7's vehement defence of CJH_'s stance throughout ALL of the various threads on this topic. The way they both post their opinion in response to just about EVERY other post on these threads that are against their own, and their extreme post counts.

I have no history of interaction with CatlinFD previous to this thread as far as I know. Don't try to trivialize my opinion if you can't refute any of it.
    I stand by what I said about the posters I named. I find them to be standoffish, very negative, and generally have a history of attacking other forum members. It is quite often when I see posts I do not enjoy that it comes from one of the mentioned members. That of course is my personal opinion of their posts, and is no reason for them to be removed from the forum.

I recently exchanged some words with KatieP on a different thread (comments now removed), but since then I have not come across any of her posts that rubbed me the wrong way. I feel the comments she has made throughout these threads have been very respectful towards other members. So a nod to her, and sorry to her about the dispute I had with her before.

It's not a hard thing to discuss this topic maturely. I won't go calling other users names, but come a certain point I won't hide my opinion either.

The topic is whether there is something going on to bring GPStore Apps to BlackBerry or not. Lets keep the focus there.
    00stryder and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:41 PM
    Kevin's going to wake up and crap his pants when he reads through all this drama.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    11-11-13 11:51 PM
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-gettin...le-play-store/

"*UPDATE* ? While the pictures illustrating Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10 have been confirmed as fake, the negotiations between BlackBerry and Google are very real."

Posted via CB10
    Wow, okay let's do this one at a time.

1) Please look at the date of the article.
    2) As I've mentioned before, please read through the thread before posting articles about *news* (a term that I use lightly here) that may have already been posted.
    3) Lol no, just... no.

Posted via CB10
    PlayBookUserMT likes this.
    11-11-13 11:51 PM
    Kevin's going to wake up and crap his pants when he reads through all this drama.
    Or, he grins ever so slightly and says aloud, to no one in particular, "Mission: Accomplished."

Posted via CB10
    Iggy City and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-11-13 11:52 PM
    No I am not CaitlinFD, ha ha. Thank you for glazing over my entire post.

We have confirmation that GPStore is not coming, as far as Lucas's source can be trusted. Which chances are, yes its trustworthy.

This does not mean that GPStore isn't running internally on employee hardware for other reasons, which is what CatlinFD has claimed to have seen. Therefore no, those user's did not happen to be right, as I outlined specifically where CJH_ was wrong, and CatlinFD didn't specifically happen to be wrong.

Let's have a mature discussion about this.

The reason I asked a Moderator verify they didn't have the same ISPs was because of Anilu7's vehement defence of CJH_'s stance throughout ALL of the various threads on this topic. The way they both post their opinion in response to just about EVERY other post on these threads that are against their own, and their extreme post counts.

I have no history of interaction with CatlinFD previous to this thread as far as I know. Don't try to trivialize my opinion if you can't refute any of it.
    I stand by what I said about the posters I named. I find them to be standoffish, very negative, and generally have a history of attacking other forum members. It is quite often when I see posts I do not enjoy that it comes from one of the mentioned members. That of course is my personal opinion of their posts, and is no reason for them to be removed from the forum.

I recently exchanged some words with KatieP on a different thread (comments now removed), but since then I have not come across any of her posts that rubbed me the wrong way. I feel the comments she has made throughout these threads have been very respectful towards other members. So a nod to her, and sorry to her about the dispute I had with her before.

It's not a hard thing to discuss this topic maturely. I won't go calling other users names, but come a certain point I won't hide my opinion either.

The topic is whether there is something going on to bring GPStore Apps to BlackBerry or not. Lets keep the focus there.
    You find posters in a forum standoffish? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds. Look we can just agree to disagree. But to call other posters annoying because of their stance and accuse them of clone accounts then to say " let's have a mature discussion" is a joke. Have a goodnight CatlinFD..i mean playbookusermt
    Pete The Penguin and Anilu7 like this.
    11-12-13 12:00 AM
561 ... 1112131415 ...