You may not know it, but there is still one industry where BlackBerry is a market leader. In 2010, BlackBerry purchased Ottawas QNX, maker of the backend software system that powers many of the connected cars on the road today.

In an interview with Amber Kanwar on The Disruptors, QNX director of global sales, Derek Kuhn, said that QNXs software had shipped in more than 60 million cars last year.

You see it used as the platform behind infotainment systems the systems in the centre of your car that are offering technology like GPS and media, Kuhn said.

Of course, BlackBerrys former competitors in the mobile space, Apple and Google, have taken a recent interest in the automotive space. However, Kuhn indicated that the conditions are different than the late 2000s.
    More at:

QNX says this time it will be different for BlackBerry against Apple and Google in the connected car space | BetaKit (it says there is a video interview but I cannot see it???)
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-01-15 04:24 PM
    Thanks for this - very interesting.

I managed to get the video to play, but it starts and stops the whole way through - maybe their servers are doing the weekend backups....
    11-01-15 09:58 PM
    Here is a link to the video from Business News Network (BNN) website.

http://www.bnn.ca/Shows/the-disruptors.aspx

Video should be posted on the right hand side. Interesting clip and some good conversation.
    Enjoy!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-15 11:12 PM
    A little context: the main focus of the interview is in terms of autonomous, or driverless, cars.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 06:51 AM
    BlackBerry is such a small fish compared to Google and Apple. One has to worry regardless of what they say that they get squashed.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    11-02-15 11:11 AM
    BlackBerry is such a small fish compared to Google and Apple. One has to worry regardless of what they say that they get squashed.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    I saw an article once that talked a little about Google's software... it wasn't Android that was powering these driverless cars. But yeah Google is spending millions (if not billions at this point) on the technology. QNX might still be in the background running the basic automotive functions, but the Big Player is going to be the one that makes it all come together. And just like the infotainment systems of today... people are going to want a name they know and trust.
    11-02-15 02:33 PM
    The future of QNX in auto is much like BIOS were in computers. It's there (yay!) but won't have much to do with the consumer experience.

Does anyone see a scenario where QNX Car 2.0 gets into a production automobile? Unless BB is willing to fund all development and offer it for free, I don't think I'll ever drive one in my lifetime.
    11-02-15 02:57 PM
    The future of QNX in auto is much like BIOS were in computers. It's there (yay!) but won't have much to do with the consumer experience.
    Phoenix needs to put their logo on every computer! The world needs to know that Phoenix BIOSs run the entire world! It's not fair that Microsoft gets all of the recognition - Windows would be nothing without a BIOS! Phoenix should charge $50 per computer sold! Phoenix BIOS for life!

[Oops, wrong forum...]
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-02-15 09:17 PM
    Lol!!!!!

 Passport SE 
    11-03-15 01:09 PM