08-05-14 02:56 PM
55 123
tools
    Blackberry also had a press release. 200 people from BBRY that worked with QNX infotainment are now in the hands of VW. Gee, I wonder what technologies VW intends on using in their future infotainment clusters ...
    07-04-14 09:44 AM
    No one outside of the company knows how to quantify or compartmentalize QNX. How was it sold? What does it even mean in terms of copyright? What can VW do with what's is bought? Is it a limited pattern/technology? Is it limited to geography?
    07-04-14 05:10 PM
    I guess it means that BlackBerry will not focus on end solution of infotainment, rather the OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:29 PM
    You mean other than the 70 million cars that already use QNX.

Posted via CB10
    People always bring this up, it's really quire irrelevant to anything to do with BB at all. Even if manu. continue to use QNX it benefits BB in exactly 0 ways.
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    07-04-14 07:38 PM
    People always bring this up, it's really quire irrelevant to anything to do with BB at all. Even if manu. continue to use QNX it benefits BB in exactly 0 ways.
    Collecting royalties for the OS is not worth anything?

Posted via CB10
    kfh227 and wout000 like this.
    07-04-14 07:40 PM
    Making a big deal out of nothing. QNX is based in Ottawa. For all we know, that German until did R&D in area that BlackBerry did not see that important or a priority. The brains are still in Ottawa.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175/Telus
    07-04-14 07:52 PM
    Collecting royalties for the OS is not worth anything?

Posted via CB10
    QNX itself doesn't make much money sadly

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 12:07 AM
    Making a big deal out of nothing. QNX is based in Ottawa. For all we know, that German until did R&D in area that BlackBerry did not see that important or a priority. The brains are still in Ottawa.
    Nothing of the QNX system has been sold. VW just bought a tech that was developed/researched on top of QNX that allows for vehicles to link up together when on the road (think in-vehicule communications, auto-pilot based on distance and speed between cars, etc...). BlackBerry just sold the research to VW instead of funding it themselves to bring it to market.

QNX itself doesn't make much money sadly
    Why would you say that? Can you back up your claim?

It sounds weird because Chen has clearly stated several times over that the hardware side of BlackBerry doesn't make money and BBM monetization won't break the bank. Forcing them to focus on enterprise which has 2 big branches: 1) QNX and 2) BES servers.

BES is the most profitable part of the company hands down, but the QNX licensing will be the other main income they're doubling down in.
    While not meant for consumers, QNX will be licensed wholesale to third party hardware manufacturers to create their product on top of it to sell directly to consumers.
    Case in point: Project Ion http://el.blackberry.com/project-ion. Not to mention markets like Automotive, Industrial, Medical, Networking + Telecoms, Security + Defense.

BlackBerry is slowly transitioning to an enterprise focused company with it's two main pillars QNX and BES services.
    Hardware and consumer markets will account for only a small amount of revenue if any at that.
    07-05-14 05:43 AM
    Wout,

Qnx doesn't do much in terms of revenue.

Go look at black berry's investor site. The information is all there.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and JeepBB like this.
    07-05-14 07:01 AM
    News broke Thursday morning

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/black...iary-1.1897267

BB:CN stock close up on Friday at $11.36 CAD. Don't think the market cared too much.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175/Telus
    07-05-14 07:10 AM
    Wout I think you need to look at the earning report and investor site.

What you are saying is right and chen has been saying it from the get go but the sad part is QNX isn't making any money.

Tbh I dont know why, since its everywhere and you'd think they'd be getting a crap load of royalties but it's not.

QNX has the potential to make blackberry a sh*t load of money but not yet.

You can try to find articles that they are getting revenue but there are nobe sadly.

They need to sell an out of the box type product for cars in my eyes. I'd pay 500-1000$ for an out of the box infotainment system with qnx 2.0, mirror link and updates. And that my friend would be revenue.

Posted via CB10
    wout000 likes this.
    07-05-14 08:54 AM

What you are saying is right and chen has been saying it from the get go but the sad part is QNX isn't making any money.

Tbh I dont know why, since its everywhere and you'd think they'd be getting a crap load of royalties but it's not.

You can try to find articles that they are getting revenue but there are nobe sadly.

They need to sell an out of the box type product for cars in my eyes. I'd pay 500-1000$ for an out of the box infotainment system with qnx 2.0, mirror link and updates. And that my friend would be revenue.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly the point. If this is available and viable? Where is it? What's it worth? and what are they waiting for? I don't see any reason to rely or wait for android or ios when (watch the video) it seemingly has nothing to do with them in its current form and has everything anyone buying a car would want. The markets, in particular, with their all seeing eye, cannot ignore QNXs innovative achievements, as they are, and expose every fault that has diminished Blackberrys relevance. It encompasses everything that has gone wrong. BlackBerry isn't helping matters by not clearly clarifying what is going on, WTF, it's a public company, and the public wants to know, needs to know.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by abwan11; 07-05-14 at 10:12 AM.
    07-05-14 09:38 AM
    Exactly the point. If this is available and viable? Where is it? What's it worth? and what are they waiting for? I don't see any reason to rely or wait for android or ios when (watch the video) seemingly has nothing to do with them in its current form and has everything anyone buying a car would want. The markets, in particular, with their all seeing eye cannot ignore QNXs innovative achievements, as they are, and expose every fault that has diminished Blackberrys relevance. It encompasses everything that has gone wrong. BlackBerry isn't helping matters by not clearly clarifying what is going on, WTF, it's a public company, and the public wants to know, needs to know.

Posted via CB10
    Your link doesn't work on my phone for some reason but if its a QNX video I have probably seen it haha

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 09:41 AM
    Apple and Google's smartphone-based vehicle infotainment ecosystems greatly reduces the potential for QNX to do much more than it does right now because most smartphone users will be getting their content and connectivity through their smartphones. Just about every auto maker is going to support CarPlay and Android Auto.
    07-05-14 09:52 AM
    Your link doesn't work on my phone for some reason but if its a QNX video I have probably seen it haha

Posted via CB10
    Try it now

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:13 AM
    It isn't easy to lay off employees in Germany. Very expensive. My guess is that this was the easiest way for both companies to accomplish their goals (BlackBerry cost savings, VW beefing up in house infotainment), and keep the German regulators happy.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    07-05-14 10:30 AM
    Try it now

Posted via CB10
    This is what I keep getting
    QNX mystery-img_20140705_122741.png

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:28 AM
    This is what I keep getting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140705_122741.png 
Views:	1732 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	283150

Posted via CB10
    Go to QNX.com or YouTube and type in QNX in action, it was uploaded in February, I'm assuming it's old news.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 01:10 PM
    I have seen it then

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Car companies are cheap. They are not going to pay anywhere near $100 per car to use QNX. I think if they get anything over $10 per car, I'd be shocked.
    07-06-14 08:55 AM
    Car companies are cheap. They are not going to pay anywhere near $100 per car to use QNX. I think if they get anything over $10 per car, I'd be shocked.
    This is why they need an out of the box media type solution:
    1. at their current QNX/BlackBerry buildings/warehouses.
    2. car make over shops (further down the road)
    3. Smaller solution that will just replace the middle console at future shop
    3b) Even smaller and just replace the cd/dvd drive with their gps with full sync features (bluetooth/phone contacts)
    3c) mirrorlink screen only for all phones like this (this is intel but QNX has their own mirrorlink solutions)

07-06-14 09:11 AM
    I've already talked to numerous people at QNX telling them how effective this out of the box solution is and how good it would be for revenue.
    But no budge.

This solution wouldn't be hard for them to accomplish since they already went beyond it to control the "whole" car.To just a little media dashboard piece. They are the most trusted in this business so they could easily get into future shop and best buy.

Right now the only way to get QNX 2.0 or anything like it is if you guy a 2013+ car. How stupid is that?

Apple has CarPlay and Android has Auto which are both on top of QNX but a little center piece/gps/media screen won't need to be since it's not controlling the car just your multimedia center piece. I can see them selling these cheaper/out of the box solutions themselves.

Right now when you walk into Bestbuy or Futureshop there is no competition since they are all slow and laggy. To get a good multimedia/gps screen it's like 1000$ at least which those are still not up to par.
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category...4f42c4d07den01

Why doesn't QNX want to be the first: high quality, best connectivity and for a good price?
    If they threw Mirrorlink into stores for 500$, no one would be able to compete (except the over price pioneer products) and it's pure revenue.
    Last edited by khehl; 07-06-14 at 09:32 AM.
    07-06-14 09:15 AM
    I'd be surprised if BlackBerry licenses directly to car manufacturers. I'm assuming that the QNX Car tech will be licensed directly to Google and Apple and they in their turn will make sure it gets in cars.
    That being said, it would surprise me if Google or Apple are asking for any $$$ at all to get their respective systems in cars. Like any other fairly untapped market, the race to get the most manufacturers on your side will determine your value in that market. I'm thinking they're just offering the Apple Carplay and Android Car for free in order to get the biggest support in the market and get to deploy their ecosystem of apps and services in that market.

BlackBerry is positioned extremely well to cash in on the race by these two tech giants (think Microsoft making money of Android).

I have browsed through the financial report of BlackBerry and found this nice little titbit:
    Software revenue, which includes fees from licensed BES software, client access licenses, technical support, maintenance and
    upgrades and QNX software licensing revenues, decreased by $6 million, or 10.0%, to $54 million, or 5.6% of consolidated
    revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2015, compared to $60 million, or 1.9% of consolidated revenue, in the first quarter of
    fiscal 2014. The decrease was primarily attributable to a decrease in technical support and client access license revenues,
    partially offset by an increase in revenue from QNX.
    QNX is becoming profitable and thanks to the investments and opportunites in the healthcare sector I can see QNX become one of the main pillars in the BlackBerry revenuestream.

It also details the company strategy:
    As announced on December 20, 2013, the Company is focusing on three key strategic initiatives: (1) returning to its core
    strengths of enterprise and security; (2) implementing changes in the Devices business to provide operational flexibility to meet
    the needs of its customers and to mitigate the financial risk to the Company; and (3) its planned transition to an operating unit
    organizational structure consisting of the Devices business, Enterprise Services, QNX Embedded business and Messaging.
    Subsection:
    a series of initiatives, referred to as Project Ion, to help businesses easily connect people, devices and machines and
    derive value from these connections, offering end-to-end solutions for the Internet of Things. The initiatives include a
    secure public application platform to be powered by QNX technology, the facilitation of an Internet of Things
    ecosystem and strategic partnerships;
    This all tells me they'll be betting huge on Enterprise and QNX Embedded systems as a service provider by forming strategic relationships and profiling themselves as being a reliable partner. Chen surprised me when saying he's following the "Internet of Things" movement from closeby and he'll make sure BlackBerry won't miss the boat on this one. I'm both curious and excited to see QNX based products be released in the market by third parties because of this...
    INTz likes this.
    07-07-14 04:31 AM
    Wout,

Qnx doesn't do much in terms of revenue.

Go look at black berry's investor site. The information is all there.

Posted via CB10
    There was time long ago when people could freely download Qee-nix OS to your computer, there were other 3rd party GUI that could be applied and you could port Linux programs. (some have been sideloading long before there were Android Apps)

Just because you start charging for something, doesn't mean that when it was out in the wild that others didn't take advantage of that freeness. In truth BlackBerry might be bad for QNX. When current contracts expire or it comes time to renegotiate for contracts, if BlackBerry applies their mobile OS model to QNX's embed pricing model to QNX based software... there are many alternatives out there. Really hope BlackBerry leave QNX alone and doesn't destroy them like they have most of the companies they have purchased.
    anon(5818411) likes this.
    07-07-14 11:45 AM
    so we're talking about some part of $54 million in a quarter for QNX thats pennies in the bucket really come on.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-07-14 12:59 PM
55 123