12-19-15 11:58 AM
26 12
tools
    QNX announced a fairly minor deal, that may turn out to be huge.

https://adasworks.com/

Check out the site. May have big implications for automated driving for vehicles. Particularly creating inexpensive automation systems for the masses.

PR:
    QNX and AdasWorks Collaborate on Automated Driving Technology
    12-10-15 01:42 PM
    Automated Driving.... think I'd want the best solution, not necessarily the least inexpensive....

But yeah QNX has an advantage in automotive, that I hope BlackBerry doesn't BlackBerry it up.....
    kbz1960 and BerryRipe like this.
    12-10-15 03:04 PM
    Nice potential, but what are the companies that actually have self-driving cars out there racking up the miles on the road in traffic. That's what impresses me.
    12-10-15 03:11 PM
    Their goal maybe fully automated driving... but it looks like right now they are focused on assisted driving features.... that are here and now.
    12-10-15 03:17 PM
    Nice potential, but what are the companies that actually have self-driving cars out there racking up the miles on the road in traffic. That's what impresses me.
    Out of all the manufactures, I'd say Mercedes-Benz is by far the closest. They have both autos and commercial vehicles running 24/7 through Europe and the US.
    12-10-15 10:27 PM
    I don't mean to be negative, as I really do want to see the company succeed.....but does it seem as if everything that QNX makes the news for is always about some concept or something they are working....but no actual products? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Hypervisor anyone???

Posted via CB10
    12-13-15 10:07 PM
    I don't mean to be negative, as I really do want to see the company succeed.....but does it seem as if everything that QNX makes the news for is always about some concept or something they are working....but no actual products? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Hypervisor anyone???

Posted via CB10
    QNX has actually shipped in 60 million vehicles.... I'm not sure if that qualifies as an "Actual product" for you or not....
    It's actually used for military applications that you will never read about for obvious reasons.
    I think reading about it in mainstream news is what your're looking for, but that's not going to happen, because they have not, and do not wish to create the culture of popularity that Apple and Android enjoy.

QNX will always be "behind the curtain", and avoid being "popular". Blackberry can now be popular (Android) and not even be associated with a secretive and secure division like QNX.
    12-15-15 01:31 PM
    QNX went to the moon. LOL
    12-15-15 02:13 PM
    QNX went to the moon. LOL
    And Google mapped it!

http://www.google.ca/moon/
    12-15-15 02:19 PM
    12-15-15 02:31 PM
    Also
    QNX Software Systems offers a comprehensive portfolio of infotainment, telematics, safety, and acoustics solutions deployed in more than 60 million vehicles worldwide. More than 40 automotive OEMs use QNX software, including the QNX Neutrino OS, the QNX OS for Safety (compliant to ISO 26262, up to Automotive Safety Integrity Level D), the QNX CAR™ Platform for Infotainment, and QNX acoustics middleware, for their head units, digital instrument clusters, advanced driver information systems, hands-free systems, and connectivity modules.
    12-15-15 02:36 PM
    Luxoft Teams Up with QNX on Automotive ADAS Technologies

Luxoft Teams Up with QNX on Automotive ADAS Technologies | Business Wire

Looks like QNX is building the software team to make self driving safer and easier to implement with only cameras as sensors.
    12-15-15 02:41 PM
    That didn't take long...

QNX at CES 2016
    12-16-15 10:08 AM
    QNX has actually shipped in 60 million vehicles.... I'm not sure if that qualifies as an "Actual product" for you or not....
    It's actually used for military applications that you will never read about for obvious reasons.
    I think reading about it in mainstream news is what your're looking for, but that's not going to happen, because they have not, and do not wish to create the culture of popularity that Apple and Android enjoy.

QNX will always be "behind the curtain", and avoid being "popular". Blackberry can now be popular (Android) and not even be associated with a secretive and secure division like QNX.
    Well answered!!!

Posted via Passport
    12-16-15 10:43 AM
    I love to drive. When and if this ever ends, I'll take a bus.
    Just saying

Posted via CB10
    12-16-15 11:37 AM
    The great thing about self-driving cars is that they can be phased in because they are going to use existing roads. It may be 20 years before cars being driven by people are phased out. I used to love driving but now I'm at the age where I can tell that my night vision isn't so great and, more importantly, the traffic where I live is taking most of the fun out of driving. I think self-driving cars will become the norm just about the time I'm done with driving.

Regarding the technology, it seems to be one of the next big areas of consumer tech so just about everyone is getting involved. The updated maps including real-time traffic data is getting to be pretty valuable. Also, probably pretty expensive to collect. I don't think Google or Apple are going to be giving it out for free.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-16-15 12:59 PM
    Can text, drink etc to your hearts content lol
    12-16-15 02:19 PM
    A couple things I want to add..... They are now more publicly working on automated driving.... A comment was made about actual products:

Flying-Cams Oscar-Winning Unmanned Aerial System Takes Flight With QNX Technology
    Software for automated flying camera systems.

https://fedcsis.org/proceedings/2008/pliks/174.pdf
    A white paper for a software system for flight controls of an ultralight aircraft

http://www.araa.asn.au/acra/acra2008...s/pap132s1.pdf
    A paper on an autonomous unmanned aircraft using QNX

https://books.google.com/books?id=f4...rcraft&f=false

This is a book citing QNX controlling video sensor processing for an aircraft in 2008.

What all this and the hundreds of other references you can find if you dig for them is.... QNX has experience in fail safe systems that can pilot an aircraft, and even land one on a moving ship. By acquiring teams that have developed road sensing software, and building / pedestrian software... they will be able to quickly translate that to vehicles on streets.

Do you want android / apple / tesla driving your car? Or the software that has a track record with military aircraft for over a decade?
    12-17-15 11:36 AM

I understand they have been used in 60 + million cars and while that's fine, I assuming they don't get paid any massive amount for that at all. Remember they were purchased for 200 million. I understand they are working on automated driving and have other behind the door projects but when you say they don't want to be mainstream, then why are they consistently at CES every year and talking about some QNX car platform, video chatting in vehicles and things like that, and I don't hear about any of these things becoming actual products.

Once again, not trying to bash the company, I just don't see what the company is actually selling. Everything seems like it's just concept and BlackBerry has owned QNX since like 2010. With BlackBerry seemingly going Android now, I don't see how QNX fits into BlackBerry's strategy now

Posted via CB10
    12-17-15 11:54 AM
    QNX is dead... Long life to Android!
    12-17-15 12:12 PM
    No QNX is not. BB's use of QNX base in a phone OS is in maintenance mode.
    Randal Yandal likes this.
    12-17-15 12:23 PM
    Do you want android / apple / tesla driving your car? Or the software that has a track record with military aircraft for over a decade?
    Windows NT has a similar track record of reliability for certain applications. The US Navy pays Microsoft $9 million dollars a year to maintain Windows XP and most bank ATMs use XP so it's probably protecting billions of dollars of cash from hackers.

However, that doesn't mean I want to use either one of those operating systems on a daily basis.
    12-17-15 12:37 PM

LOL.
    early2bed, kbz1960 and Rello like this.
    12-17-15 12:58 PM
    I understand they have been used in 60 + million cars and while that's fine, I assuming they don't get paid any massive amount for that at all. Remember they were purchased for 200 million. I understand they are working on automated driving and have other behind the door projects but when you say they don't want to be mainstream, then why are they consistently at CES every year and talking about some QNX car platform, video chatting in vehicles and things like that, and I don't hear about any of these things becoming actual products.

Once again, not trying to bash the company, I just don't see what the company is actually selling. Everything seems like it's just concept and BlackBerry has owned QNX since like 2010. With BlackBerry seemingly going Android now, I don't see how QNX fits into BlackBerry's strategy now
    QNX's problem is that, as car middleware, it's profitable, but the profits are small, and without branded, user-facing UI and apps that people ask for by name, there is little "brand value" in QNX. Almost no one is going to come into a showroom and ask if their car's computer is running QNX, and make a buying decision based on whether QNX is present or not.

QNX has constantly made "concept dashboards", but no car manufacturer has ever bought that, because the car manufacturers don't want to pay QNX and they don't want QNX to have that much control - the car manufacturers want all the control, and they want their own, branded, custom UIs on the screens - Ford or Chevy or Chrysler, not QNX. They also want to control what data they can get and where it goes (to themselves, of course) - they don't want QNX making those decisions.

Unfortunately for the car makers, Apple and Google do have the "brand value" to bypass the car manufacturers, because they can get customers to come into showrooms demanding Car Play and/or Android Auto, and plenty of customers will walk right out if those are missing. Some manufacturers, like Toyota, are trying to resist and stick with their own stuff (based on QNX, but with their own Toyota apps and UI), but before long, they'll see their sales start to suffer and they'll give in to customer demand. So, ultimately, QNX will be competing for customer-facing UI not only with the car manufacturers (who have more leverage than QNX), but also Apple and Google, who have more leverage than even the car companies. There's just no way for QNX to compete - they'll have to be satisfied with selling middleware licenses and making relatively small profits at a relatively low cost for ongoing development. They'll keep making money, but growth potential in the auto world will remain limited.

Unless you make something that isn't easily replaced and that customers ask for by name - and will walk away if they don't get it - you can't really ask for very much money for your product.
    early2bed and Rello like this.
    12-19-15 12:29 AM
    LOLZ, Samsung industrial machines, such as the ones that build Peugeot cars are run by QNX. You'd be surprised how many machines are running QNX

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:49 AM
26 12