12-28-13 06:26 PM
94 1234
tools
    After seeing another loss and fewer folks buying the brand, the folks I feel for are the die hard loyal fans who have stuck with the brand through think and thin. My z10 sits in a drawer and until such time when they can get 10.2.1 out as an official release here on T-Mobile USA. Until that time comes, I am done with BB OS10 and will be on my iPhone 5S and IOS7. Sorry folks, but here in the USA the brand is dead and nobody wants a Blackberry anymore which is sad. I directly hold the folks who have been in charge in Waterloo the last few years for making the bad decisions which has brought them to this point and worst of all, getting paid millions of dollars to do it.

I really liked the z10 and I was staring to get to like the great features of BB OS10 i.e.the hub, peek and gesturing, but when my local carrier has all but abandoned the brand here and all you get are smart *** comments from the folks in the stores when you ask about future support and/or products, I have to honestly say that it's hard to stay loyal at this point in time. What's really sad is the fact that in the last two weeks of being in the malls, shopping and running errands, I haven't seen one BB OS10 device being used here, not one. Need I say anymore.
    I'll buy your z10..

Posted via CB10
    collinc93 likes this.
    12-20-13 08:20 AM
    Still BB10 is far superior to BB7 despite the disappointing sales.
    However, my interpretation of the situation is the form-factor of the devices running BlackBerry OS 7 are preferred over the form-factors of the smartphones running BlackBerry OS 10. If BlackBerry releases a BlackBerry Bold (form-factor) smartphone running BlackBerry OS 10 and provides a physical trackpad and microHDMI port I predict this device would sell like hotcakes particularly in the enterprise market and prosumer market. Of course we'd need BlackBerry to either update the software for the current BlackBerry PlayBook or release a new tablet with full integration with the smartphone.
    12-20-13 08:38 AM
    [QUOTE=FSeverino;9734108]I'll buy your z10..

Sorry, but, I am going to wait until the end of January to see if the 10.2.1 official OS is released on T-Mobile here so I can try out using the Android apps they see you can now install without side-loading them? I use a Mac so I can install the leaks and I would rather wait for the official release which will be more stable.

I am not holding my breath, but we will see whats happens. I have a couple of friends here doing the same thing, I not worried, I bought my unlocked z10 used on CL here for 150.00 so I can afford to wait a month or two.
    12-20-13 08:38 AM
    However, my interpretation of the situation is the form-factor of the devices running BlackBerry OS 7 are preferred over the form-factors of the smartphones running BlackBerry OS 10. If BlackBerry releases a BlackBerry Bold (form-factor) smartphone running BlackBerry OS 10 and provides a physical trackpad and microHDMI port I predict this device would sell like hotcakes particularly in the enterprise market and prosumer market. Of course we'd need BlackBerry to either update the software for the current BlackBerry PlayBook or release a new tablet with full integration with the smartphone.
    I think the track pad us what a lot of ppl are missing. I know it's touchscreen, but why not have the best of both worlds... that is what a touchscreen keyboard phone is aiming at anyways, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:41 AM
    All they are committing to is a cheap, 3G only BB10 device for the Indonesia/Asia consumer market.

Nothing for the enterprise or high end prosumer market.

They'll be on the Z/Q for the foreseeable future...
    12-20-13 08:47 AM
    Does the 4 billion write down bring a tax break?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:49 AM
    I suspect (no proof) that most of the BBOS handsets are being sold in low-cost markets. That would explain the partnership with Foxconn, and their announced first product: Jakarta. There are no advantages to BlackBerry to keeping two OSs around.

Also, having used both OS 7 and OS 10 devices I can only say this: in my personal opinion, BB10 is light-years ahead of OS7. I no longer feel like throwing my phone against the wall because it can't render Yelp without hanging, or because I have to reboot after every app upgrade or... (insert myriad other reasons here). I've seen substantially more progress for BB10 on both the features and development SDK front in the last year than I have in the prior 3 for BBOS.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    12-20-13 08:59 AM
    I wish BlackBerry would wake up and smell the coffee, how much more money are they gonna waste on BB10, the platform nobody wants?

Their old product is outselling it 3 to 1 and they still bang on about BB10? It's embarrassing really.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you don't want it, but my friend and work colleagues do. I just find it funny that people that turn their noses up at BB10 devices have no clue what the device can do and has never tried one. BB needs to change that perception. Bottomline: BB10 are definitely great products and can compete, but if the rest of the world is convinced not to even take a look at it.. then there lies the problem.
    12-20-13 09:02 AM
    It is not the OS, it's the price. Where is the (for real) low cost BB10? If they stopped BBOS production and bring out a comparable (in terms of price) BB10 device, then the ratio will be different. Maybe BB10 cannot run on low spec devices, but BBRY needs to find a solution to this.
    12-20-13 09:12 AM
    Still BB10 is far superior to BB7 despite the disappointing sales.
    That is only an opinion. One that I do not share. I do respect your opinion though.

Personally, I'd rather BlackBerry give me a BlackBerry 7 device that is able to take advantage of a dual core processor and 2GB worth of RAM like the BB10 devices have. Do that and I'd be happy. I'd also still be a BlackBerry users.

I look at it like this, I kept my Bold 9930 for the full length of a 2 year contract and was happy the majority of my time with it. The Dev Alphas and LEZ10s lasted a few months before I sold them. The Q10 I had didn't even last a full month before it went back to Verizon. There wasn't anything about BlackBerry 10 to keep me using the devices. I still follow the news, hoping that they will someday meet my personal needs, but all they seem interested in is Android apps. If that is all BlackBerry users care about now, than they should have saved themselves a lot of trouble and switched to Android to begin with.

Legacy OS had a few distinct advantages that I loved and weren't found on other platforms. BlackBerry 10 tosses those advantages away. Leaving me with no reason to use it along side my other devices.
    12-20-13 09:18 AM
    Care to share those advantages? There is some stuff I miss as well.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 09:21 AM
    Alot of people wil buy bb10 devices if they were as cheap as bbos , nobody can afford bb10 devices!
    they can afford Apple ...if they actually release modern handsets maybe people will buy them
    12-20-13 09:29 AM
    Yikes, this is worse than I expected. I was hoping for at least 2 million BB10 devices.
    12-20-13 09:49 AM
    Maybe you don't want it, but my friend and work colleagues do. I just find it funny that people that turn their noses up at BB10 devices have no clue what the device can do and has never tried one. BB needs to change that perception. Bottomline: BB10 are definitely great products and can compete, but if the rest of the world is convinced not to even take a look at it.. then there lies the problem.
    This is all well and good, but these people are consistently proven to be a tiny minority. Blackberry need to give the people what they want and stop catering to their small fan base, its killing their sales. People want high spec, reasonably priced smartphones with a comprehensive ecosystem and Blackberry keep providing them with low to med spec overpriced antiquated devices without an ecosystem.

its really not rocket science. BB10 failed because it tried to reinvent the wheel, when there is perfectly performing wheels already out there. People mention poor advertising, but word of mouth with mobile tech goes a long way. Nexus devices practically depend upon it.

Sometimes you have to rip the bandaid off and let cool air over the wound. In this case, I suspect, its the OS that is the bandaid; its killing them and holding them back in multiple ways. They should consider a subdivision to work on an Android skin to cater to the customers they need and will never get whilst stubbornly continuing with this route.

At the moment, they can't give their phones away and thats all the proof that is needed. In developing countries its price that determines a sale and BB have traditionally offered good value with their BBM service on Legacy Blackberry and the often exorbitant price of broadband. It also maintains in some cases still a 'cool' factor, but this is changing and will continue to change as cheaper and reliable Androids continue to flood the markets and offer a more affordable alternative. BB can't depend on continued sales of their lower tiered phones either.

I sense there's a distinct lack of creativity at BBHQ and a foolish desire not to upset a fanbase that is ineffectual in regards to the sustainability of the company and a lack of experimentation, taking risks and thinking outside the box to meet people's expectations.

Fewer tech companies in the field impacts upon all of us and not for the better. Its important that they at least 'consider' a exploring alternative OS's to at least give them a competitive edge.
    JeepBB and Admorris like this.
    12-20-13 09:59 AM
    Part of the reason that legacy BBOS devices are used in emerging markets are because they are cheap and associated data plans are cheap because of BIS. So Foxconn is going to making low budget BB10 phones for those same markets. Are they going to cheap enough and what about the data plans since BB10 does not utilize BIS? Did BB work out a deal with carriers over there to allow the same data plans on non-BIS devices? I'm not sure how it can work either other way.

And please, please, sell the "high end enterprise grade" phones direct from ShopBlackberry. These definitely won't be sold through carriers (Looks like Z30 may be the last one you can get that way..Verizon customers only though) but people on CB will still want to buy them!
    12-20-13 09:59 AM
    I agree with you on the need to update the OS of current PlayBook or a new device all together but on the track pad you definately lost me there. The track pad is useful on BBOS but I don't think it will go well with the whole idea behind BB10.
    12-20-13 12:16 PM
    Really!? So 200 $ for a Z10 is too much?
    12-20-13 04:07 PM
    Lol I think people are just over thinking it. I'm not even sure a low cost Bb10 device is really gonna help the situation. I think people simply and unfortunately don't want a BlackBerry device anymore

Posted via CB10
    Admorris likes this.
    12-20-13 04:51 PM
    yet a few years ago when they were the number 1 smarthone and got comfortable just putting out rehashes of the same phone over and over, the competition all just passed them by.

they need to innovate and keep moving forward and BB10 is the start of doing just that
    The same is happening to Apple now, iOS is getting stale, despite the update. Just that they have that fetish brand aura will keep them afloat.

My name is Prem, I'm using BBM ... from my QuZe10 ...whatarhyme...
    12-20-13 05:44 PM
    The abysmal BB10 sales truly speak for themselves and Chen's decision to jettison hardware is likely the only choice he had left.

The question will be what can Foxconn develop that BB couldn't and how can they do it more profitably than BB did.

The biggest rebuke of the Heins strategy, though, is the announcement that the "launch" device being developed by the new Foxconn-BBRY partnership is a low end 3G only BB10 device to launch in Indonesia. So much for the Z10/Q10.
    12-20-13 06:02 PM
    The abysmal BB10 sales truly speak for themselves and Chen's decision to jettison hardware is likely the only choice he had left.

The question will be what can Foxconn develop that BB couldn't and how can they do it more profitably than BB did.

The biggest rebuke of the Heins strategy, though, is the announcement that the "launch" device being developed by the new Foxconn-BBRY partnership is a low end 3G only BB10 device to launch in Indonesia. So much for the Z10/Q10.
    Indeed.
    How does anything announced today remotely stimulate interest in bbry products. He announced the development of one crap phone in Indonesia, wow. How can anyone see this as major backing for their device business?
    TGR1 and NYC10065 like this.
    12-20-13 06:13 PM
    It is not the OS, it's the price. Where is the (for real) low cost BB10? If they stopped BBOS production and bring out a comparable (in terms of price) BB10 device, then the ratio will be different. Maybe BB10 cannot run on low spec devices, but BBRY needs to find a solution to this.
    They just made a 5 yr partnership with what every other smartphone company is working with Foxconn. Chen knows. It's that way or the highway.

I read here about some BB users wanting a trackpad to go along with the touchscreen?? This makes no sense. The trackpad goes with a non touchscreen device. The touchscreen is the freaking trackpad. They want a physical keyboard, trackpad and a touchscreen? Weird. I don't know, I'm happy with my Z10, anyone here called it horrible I'd say that person is probably stuck with his trackpad for life and is outnumbered by some crazy ratio in his assessment by users.
    12-20-13 08:19 PM
    Good news for BBRY.
    12-20-13 09:14 PM
    So, from the big write down, have the other BB10 devices now joined the Z10 in that status? I imagine Q10 sales have been as bad as the Z10, and the Z30 probably the same for sales but were probably produced at a much lower number of units.
    And with OS7 devices still selling, guess there must still be many developers writing apps for OS7 ? I'm going to have to dust off and fire up my 9810 to check out the OS7 App World !
    12-20-13 09:53 PM

Yep, I'm not sure why people are seeing this as good news.

Actually, I do... it's simply BB fans having personal interest in wanting BB to continue to produce phones for them - despite that they'll sell very few to the market overall.

BB is in the same boat they always were. The only difference is instead of offering a BB7 device to Indonesia, they're making a low end BB10 device for them. The rest of the world? Nothing really changes. BB is sitting on a boat-load of BB10 inventory. No one wants them at their current price, and the only way to move them is if they have a fire-sale.

How does this help them in the future? Are they still going to produce phones for the rest of the world? If so, what will make this new phone so special? If it's BB10, then they're wasting their time... the market already responded with a resounding NO!!!.

So what magical thing is going to happen in the handset world that will save Blackberry?
    12-20-13 10:42 PM
94 1234