It's a Telus service called Link (no pun intended lol) that will enable PTT aka Push To Talk on BlackBerry OS 7 devices and BlackBerry 10 in the near future. Interesting in how well this may work alongside BBM as Chris Umi mentioned this service multiple times... here's the direct link:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/01/te...-talk-network/

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 04:12 PM
    Thanks for posting
    10-08-13 04:14 PM
    PTT is so very 2000. Not sure that anyone cares in 2013. This is not a bash of BB, it's an observation of a feature whose time has come and (long) gone.
    10-08-13 09:03 PM
    PTT is so very 2000. Not sure that anyone cares in 2013. This is not a bash of BB, it's an observation of a feature whose time has come and (long) gone.
    I definitely care about PTT that is not carrier-locked. I use Zello extensively for work and would switch in a second if BBM supported this feature.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-08-13 09:17 PM
    Ptt is not so 2000. A Lot of construction companies use it, and logistics too. It may not be as cool as it used to be but an option to a have a feature is better than none at all.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-09-13 12:16 AM
    So how many are going to switch to BlackBerry from other platforms because of PTT? How many are going to stay with BlackBerry and not switch because of PTT? Sorry, but PTT is not longer a major feature like it used to be. I'm pretty sure Sprint is kinda regretting that Nextel purchase.
    10-09-13 12:22 AM
    So how many are going to switch to BlackBerry from other platforms because of PTT? How many are going to stay with BlackBerry and not switch because of PTT? Sorry, but PTT is not longer a major feature like it used to be. I'm pretty sure Sprint is kinda regretting that Nextel purchase.
    Looks like if anything, it would be the opposite:

"Link is ostensibly compatible with all operating systems, including iOS, Android, and BlackBerry 7 devices, with BB10 support coming soon"

AS to the function...it does seem retro, but it is, in essence, a walkie-talkie (to get really old-school)....if you need walkie-talkie like function in your world, then this might be for you!

Funny....because I'd just imagine that in rough, tough field environments....one might have been better off with an old candybar/flip with a physical button...than a modern, larger, glass, virtual button device!
    10-09-13 02:26 AM
    FWIW, I carried a Nextel for 5 years, and I quickly learned to HATE that "beep beep" sound as people felt free to interrupt me any time of the day or night. And, really, it was useful back when you had FEW "talk minutes" and PTT was unlimited. But since most people have unlimited minutes today, conversations are MUCH more efficient with a normal phone call and full-duplex operation. The whole walkie-talkie concept is past its prime, which is why Nextel went away.
    richardat likes this.
    10-09-13 03:31 AM
    Now all they need is PUSH-TO-SELL.
    BCITMike likes this.
    10-09-13 04:39 AM
    The whole reason we got employee phones years ago at work was so that people were instantly reachable. If you were away from your desk phone (anywhere in the building), it could take *minutes* to track someone down. The boss man was big on "just pick up the phone" to reach people to solve problems. I feel like PTT forces a quicker response from the other person, whereas text or phone call might go unnoticed or delayed before replying.

I imagine having PTT feature is good for anyone in Operations where they use walkie talkies and now don't have to carry the extra piece of gear on their belt.
    10-09-13 07:22 AM
    This sounds like an app, like Viber or Tiki, both of which got promptly deleted from my phone for being kludgey.
    10-09-13 08:22 AM
    PTT is out of date, just like having a physical keyboard is out of date.

But there are people that still want both. At the company I left a few months ago, they were still mainly rocking 9650's and would not upgrade to newer devices, because of the Verizon PTT. Some people in construction have just gotten so use to having instant communications.. it's hard to give up!

Personally I hated it, but I think that giving your customers the options is always the best decision.
    10-09-13 08:33 AM
    Bell already supports PTT on BB7. Their PTT service works great (if you like how PTT works). Our company has had for awhile. Their page: Push-to-talk | Bell Mobile for Business
    10-09-13 03:17 PM
    Sprint bought Nextel to push people off it's network so they could sell it to the government. In the mean time the government decided it was not good enough for them and went their own more expensive way and left Sprint holding near dead Nextel! LOL!
    10-09-13 03:46 PM
    Push to talk is a cheaper replacement than building and purchasing independent Walkie-talkie system. Wish it was here I could abandon our Walkie-Talkies

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 03:07 PM