06-19-14 01:05 PM
198 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Did Air Canada come out with BlackBerry App at the same time as they did iOS and Android?
    Air Canada supported BlackBerry 10 pretty early on. I've been using that app regularly for over a year.

Just a suggestion for the folks declaring "I'll never fly Westjet again". It might go further if you went on Westjet's website and asked for a BlackBerry app there.

Contact WestJet and WestJet Vacations - Cargo, Charter and Head office info - 1-888-937-8538

If enough people ask, maybe we'll get an update on the status.
    05-25-14 04:45 AM
    This is the most ridiculous thing ever. Expecting a company to develop an app for BlackBerry first when they have the lowest user base is crazy. The fact that they are Canadian is irrelevant. It's purely a numbers thing.
    As someone who travels a lot in Canadian airports, I agree that it's a numbers thing, but I don't think the numbers are as low as you think in this circumstance. First, while it's fun to talk about BlackBerry's single digit marketshare, the reality that right now, it's double digit in Canada. Shrinking, sure. Less than iPhone/Android, fine. But proportionately a lot more than in other places.

Second, you simply see a lot more BlackBerry 10s in Canadian airports than airports elsewhere. I see them routinely on flights, in security, in coffee lines etc. I travel at least once a month for work and always see a number of Z10s and Q10s as I go. It's not unusual at all. In fact, I also see them in big airports that connect to Canadian destinations a lot. Saw about a half dozen at Laguardia in New York earlier this month and four or five at Chicago's O'Hare this past weekend even though the "I've never seen a Blackberry 10 in the wild" rhetoric is common on this forums.

Chances are good that Westjet probably has it on their roadmap and expressing interest in a BlackBerry version to Westjet (not CrackBerry) will likely help keep it on the roadmap.
    05-25-14 04:51 AM
    They are appealing to the mass market. (Not their fault - they should not have to fail with Blackberry)
    05-25-14 06:38 AM
    This is bizarre because Westjet's bread and butter are the business flights. A good chunk of who use BlackBerry. Obviously not a "business decision" but probably a bias choice by someone in the marketing department.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, I seem to be seeing a lot more "business folks" with non-BB devices these days (particularly Android devices). Not defending the decision, but it seems to be in line with what we see in the trenches! Hopefully, BB can reverse this trend!
    05-25-14 06:54 AM
    So let me get this straight. You believe that a Canadian's national pride and identity are directly tied to their smartphone choice? So then you must think that the 85% of Canadian smartphone users aren't "proudly" Canadian since they buy smartphones that use iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

That's just plain crazy.
    Exactly.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    techvisor, JeepBB and bbq10l like this.
    05-25-14 08:51 AM
    Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 09:01 AM
    you simply see a lot more BlackBerry 10s in Canadian airports than airports elsewhere. I see them routinely on flights, in security, in coffee lines etc. I travel at least once a month for work and always see a number of Z10s and Q10s as I go. It's not unusual at all. In fact, I also see them in big airports that connect to Canadian destinations a lot. Saw about a half dozen at Laguardia in New York earlier this month and four or five at Chicago's O'Hare this past weekend even though the "I've never seen a Blackberry 10 in the wild" rhetoric is common on this forums
    At the US airports I mostly fly out (Pit, Atlanta, Detroit, Charlotte, Chicago), it's mostly iPhones and Androids, but I do see some people with older BB as their business phone (some people still carry 2 phones I guess). I could count on one hand the BB10 devices I have seen. Part of the problem could be that companies like the one I work at do not support BB10 devices. We can still get a Bold 9000, incredibly, but no BB10 devices.

I'll be going to Orlando and Vegas in the next couple of weeks, it'll be interesting to see if that trend still hold at those airports.
    05-25-14 10:56 AM
    For a big corporation how much does it really cost to port an app to BB? It's not a large amount at all.

The Zombie Apocalypse is upon us. Run while you still can
    05-26-14 07:48 AM
    Air Canada supported BlackBerry 10 pretty early on. I've been using that app regularly for over a year.

Just a suggestion for the folks declaring "I'll never fly Westjet again". It might go further if you went on Westjet's website and asked for a BlackBerry app there.

Contact WestJet and WestJet Vacations - Cargo, Charter and Head office info - 1-888-937-8538

If enough people ask, maybe we'll get an update on the status.
    I've sent in a request through their feedback form.

15% marketshare isn't nothing. Probably a decent chunk of that 15% works in the corporate/government sector and is a relatively frequent flyer. I fly nearly a dozen times/year and I see a BB10 phone on most flights I take. It also isn't difficult to make an Android port of the app. I consider myself a realist but this is one area where the haters really seem to have nothing to do than to...well...hate. It makes perfect sense for Westjet to easily port over their Android app to support what may well be at least 5-10% of their user base.

That said I'm not boycotting Westjet for some minor app decision. The app doesn't seem so great from the reviews I read on here anyway.
    tmf06, Vorkosigan and budsfan1970 like this.
    05-26-14 11:47 AM

15% marketshare isn't nothing. Probably a decent chunk of that 15% works in the corporate/government sector and is a relatively frequent flyer. I fly nearly a dozen times/year and I see a BB10 phone on most flights I take. It also isn't difficult to make an Android port of the app. I consider myself a realist but this is one area where the haters really seem to have nothing to do than to...well...hate. It makes perfect sense for Westjet to easily port over their Android app to support what may well be at least 5-10% of their user base.

That said I'm not boycotting Westjet for some minor app decision. The app doesn't seem so great from the reviews I read on here anyway.
    Very well said!

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 04:49 PM
    Unfortunately perhaps just a portion of the 15% is running BB10. Android via Snap or in my case a e-mail transfer works out fine. I would rather run a direct Android than a port.
    05-26-14 07:07 PM
    "Proudly Canadian "

Made in China.

Z10 on Telus
    NYC10065 likes this.
    05-26-14 07:11 PM
    Feel free to go into the developer forums on this site and tell the people developing Cascades apps that they aren't serious and are full of cr*& for developing native Cascades apps as many of them are ...
    I have no doubt many of them are but it is an incontrovertible fact that despite all the bluster from BBRY when BB10 was released, BB10 continues to sorely lag in the number of native apps developed and available -- especially the most popular apps. So while many developers may be working on or offering native BB10 apps, the record and the facts demonstrate the most of the more popular apps remain elusive.
    05-26-14 08:31 PM

15% and growing would certainly be something.

15% and shrinking is nothing.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-26-14 08:39 PM
    At the US airports I mostly fly out (Pit, Atlanta, Detroit, Charlotte, Chicago), it's mostly iPhones and Androids, but I do see some people with older BB as their business phone (some people still carry 2 phones I guess). I could count on one hand the BB10 devices I have seen. Part of the problem could be that companies like the one I work at do not support BB10 devices. We can still get a Bold 9000, incredibly, but no BB10 devices.

I'll be going to Orlando and Vegas in the next couple of weeks, it'll be interesting to see if that trend still hold at those airports.
    I fly regularly to or through Laguardia, Newark, JFK, Boston, Philly, Charlotte, Columbus, Cleveland, Washington-National, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax, Seattle, Vancouver, San Francisco, Denver, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Atlanta and Indianapolis on a regular basis (at least 4-5 times a year per airport listed, and more than 30 times out of the three NYC-area airports). In the past 18 months, if I have seen more than a dozen BB10 devices, I'd be surprised. If I've seen more than 100 BBOS devices (including the 4 Canadian airports I have flown to), it would be a bit of a stretch. I mostly see iPhones then a smattering of Android devices mainly Samsungs of various kinds, HTC Ones, Motorolas, and others I don't readily recognize. I make a point of checking out what devices people are using out of personal interest and I can honestly say that BB devices are becoming rarer and rarer even at the Canadian airports I frequently use.
    05-26-14 08:45 PM
    Installed the Android app. Thanks for the tip.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 09:08 PM
    I use west jets Web page on a computer. They send the confirmation email, which is picked up by BlackBerry Travel, and a screen shot is taken and added to Remember. Quite easy and all my info is stored in on my server. So if my phone takes a beating or goes missing I don't loose my travel itinerary.

It's about keeping things simple. How many of you west jet haters flew with them in the last year without aid of their mobile app? I'm going to bet a lot of you.

This mentality is exactly what it wrong with people who rely on tech and gadgets for every aspect of your lives.

I have very expensive tooling at work, that both simplifies and makes a pretty document in the end, but the old school way of doing it is precise and accurate.

Might be worth taking a break from tech if you get your big boy panties in a bunch because an very successful airline is doing their due diligence, and not creating a native app for a platform that can handle two OS's.

!!Be proud you have a device that can do that!!

Posted via CB10
    schmeat, blackmoe and Bbnivende like this.
    05-26-14 09:57 PM
    Might be worth taking a break from tech if you get your big boy panties in a bunch because an very successful airline is doing their due diligence, and not creating a native app for a platform that can handle two OS's.
    Very well said. It is a question of numbers and BB10 simply doesn't have the numbers to justify releasing an app before Android and iOS. Especially since BB10 supposedly supports Android.

I see some real hypocrisy here. Whenever people say that one of the disadvantages of BB10 is the lack of apps, people here on CB jump down their throat telling them that they can install Android apps so they should just keep quiet. However, when a company doesn't release a BB10 app those same people say that they will never fly Westjet again.

05-26-14 11:44 PM
    just wondering that how many BB10 devices sold in Canada in 2013?
    05-27-14 03:36 AM
    Not a lot.

05-27-14 05:19 AM
    Well I can assure you of at least 2. That's what I have. LoL

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    05-27-14 07:42 AM
    "Proudly Canadian "

Made in China.
    I hate this argument because it forgets so many people in the chain. And it's not just BlackBerry that gets criticized for it.

Yes, they do most manufacturing outside Canada. The phones that get manufactured don't mysteriously appear, running an OS and software that mysteriously appeared also. Thousands of Canadians make them.
    05-27-14 08:33 AM
    I have no doubt many of them are but it is an incontrovertible fact that despite all the bluster from BBRY when BB10 was released, BB10 continues to sorely lag in the number of native apps developed and available -- especially the most popular apps. So while many developers may be working on or offering native BB10 apps, the record and the facts demonstrate the most of the more popular apps remain elusive.
    I don't disagree. I just took issue with your sweeping statement. :-)
    05-27-14 08:34 AM
    The point is that Westjet chooses to brand themselves as "Proudly Canadian". So if they want to tug at our patriotic emotions like this then they are open game for complaints about not developing a BB10 app.

Westjet's branding creates this expectation, not our sense of entitlement.

Also, people on here seem to think it costs millions of dollars to create an app, and that Westjet would go out of business if they did this, or that's it's a financial blunder. At worst this would be a drop I'm their marketing budget costs, and would be considered a goodwill gesture.

In the end Westjet couldn't be bothered to dedicate the small amount of time and resources to even port their app to BlackBerry World, so their "Proudly Canadian" advertising rings hollow.

Also, I see that South African Airlines has released a native BB10 app, so I guess smaller airlines can do this.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 09:09 AM
    The point is that Westjet chooses to brand themselves as "Proudly Canadian". So if they want to tug at our patriotic emotions like this then they are open game for complaints about not developing a BB10 app.

Westjet's branding creates this expectation, not our sense of entitlement.

Also, people on here seem to think it costs millions of dollars to create an app, and that Westjet would go out of business if they did this, or that's it's a financial blunder. At worst this would be a drop I'm their marketing budget costs, and would be considered a goodwill gesture.

In the end Westjet couldn't be bothered to dedicate the small amount of time and resources to even port their app to BlackBerry World, so their "Proudly Canadian" advertising rings hollow.

Also, I see that South African Airlines has released a native BB10 app, so I guess smaller airlines can do this.

Posted via CB10
    So everyone who is proudly Canadian has to support BlackBerry?

Someone should tell that to all the Canadians that have adopted iOS and Android.

05-29-14 10:17 AM
198 ... 23456 ...