06-19-14 01:05 PM
198 12345 ...
tools
    Have to agree with the posters on here, I think there are a larger percentage of BlackBerry users flying on Westjet than in the general public in Canada. I see them all the time on my flights. BB is still relevant in Alberta where Westjet is based out of so it comes as a big surprise that they are not willing to even port their app to BlackBerry World. I suggest we tweet them about it to see if they would change their mind.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    05-24-14 12:15 PM
    Why spend money on developing a native BBRY app when so many of the fanboys keep talking about Android app availability on BB10?!?

No serious developer, Canadian or otherwise, will spend any time, effort or money developing a native BB10 app when the signals from BBRY executives about the future direction of BB10 are so confused and utterly devoid of direction.
    05-24-14 12:32 PM
    Why spend money on developing a native BBRY app when so many of the fanboys keep talking about Android app availability on BB10?!?

No serious developer, Canadian or otherwise, will spend any time, effort or money developing a native BB10 app when the signals from BBRY executives about the future direction of BB10 are so confused and utterly devoid of direction.
    Why? Because their competitors both posted native apps... they have choices... either be lazy and post the android app or go native...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-24-14 12:39 PM
    So serious question here. How much does it cost to develop or translate an app and keep it updated?
    05-24-14 01:08 PM
    Why? Because their competitors both posted native apps... they have choices... either be lazy and post the android app or go native...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Maybe they've decided since Android apps can be "easily" installed on BB10, it's not worth it.

Westjet is the most consistently profitable of the three Canadian airlines and isn't exactly some nave bit player. They're also not some charity that needs to invest time, effort or money into a product with little use or appeal for their purposes. They've clearly made a calculation based on their experience and market knowledge. Unless they start seeing customers decide to book on other airlines because the a BB native app isn't available, then this is a completely moot point.

It's hilarious to read about the call to nationalism for BBRY as if Canadian corporations have some obligation to prop up BBRY. The Canadian Parliament itself has opened itself to non-BBRY devices so if the Canadian politicians don't see any moral obligation to buy BB devices, why would Canadian corporations feel any similar desire to do so?
    05-24-14 03:03 PM
    I sent them an email, expressing this same concern. I hope lots of BB10 users do (tactfully) and perhaps me can motivate some change.
    05-24-14 03:53 PM
    Within the menu section of the Android app (via Snap), there is a section called, "App feedback"...

leave your comment !
    (doesn't require any email info, etc..)

I asked where is the BB10 app ?!?!?!!
    05-24-14 04:07 PM
    To show how pathetic WestJet is, they don't even redirect BB10 browser users to their mobile site.
    Probably why they think 97 percent of their web usage is android or ios.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-24-14 04:18 PM
    They aren't a charity. They're a corporation whose goal is to maximize profits for share holders. I can't really blame them for not making a BB10 app.
    Good then stop touting "Proudly Canadian" slogan.
    05-24-14 04:40 PM
    I saw on twitter that WestJet has released their long overdue and much anticipated mobile app. Unfortunately, they only offer it for iOS and Android :-( Granted, that you can install the Android version via Snap on to BB10 devices, as I have done. However I still think the vast majority of BlackBerry users are still unaware of Snap or even Android app compatibility on BB10 devices. I find it very sad and frustrating that a company such as WestJet, which touts itself as "Proudly Canadian", to the point of even painting that claim on the side of every plane in their fleet, chooses not to support Canada's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Hyprcrites to the core. I guess they have something in common with Rogers.
    05-24-14 04:42 PM
    The app pretty much sucks anyways. Not missing much. I already deleted it..
    It doesn't matter how good their App is? What matters is that they are phoney when it comes to "Proudly Canadian" slogan.
    05-24-14 04:54 PM
    This is the most ridiculous thing ever. Expecting a company to develop an app for BlackBerry first when they have the lowest user base is crazy. The fact that they are Canadian is irrelevant. It's purely a numbers thing.

It's also a tad hypocritical. Would all of you be OK if all the American companies only developed apps for iOS? Obviously not because many of us complain about it right here on CB.

The fact is that Westjet is a Canadian company. They employee a great many people and put a lot back into the Canadian economy. I personally think that's great. Simply because they haven't developed an app for BlackBerry first dies change any of that.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    NYC10065, schmeat, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    05-24-14 05:33 PM
    Westjet will never see another dime from me. Period.

Posted via CB10
    So you will make important travel decisions based on an emotional attachment to your phone... simply amazing.
    JeepBB, techvisor and bbq10l like this.
    05-24-14 06:34 PM
    Very much dominant in Canada when it comes to business users...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    As a business user I don't book my own flights.
    05-24-14 06:39 PM

So you will make important travel decisions based on an emotional attachment to your phone... simply amazing.
    I'm with you. It's comments like that which give BlackBerry users the reputation of being nothing more than a bunch of fanaticals.

bbq10l and ccbs like this.
    05-24-14 07:05 PM
    I'm with you. It's comments like that which give BlackBerry users the reputation of being nothing more than a bunch of fanaticals.

I guess Air Canada and Porter are just silly BlackBerry fanatics themselves by wasting time, and money bothering to create a BB10 version of their apps. Their board of directors should be all sacked for their total lack of vision by not choosing to ignore BlackBerry like WestJet has so wisely done eh?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 07:38 PM
    Airlines that do have apps in BlackBerry World, either native or Android ports....

Air Canada
    Porter (Canada)
    Delta (USA)
    United (USA )
    British Airways
    KLM (Netherlands)
    Jet Airways (India)
    Lufthansa (Germany)
    Avianca (Columbia)
    Qatar Airways
    South African Airways
    Egyptair
    Garuda Indonesia
    Alitalia (Italy)
    EasyJet (UK)
    Dana Air (Nigeria)
    Vueling Airlines (Spain)
    Air Asia (Malaysia)

Seems like all these airlines see BlackBerry as a relevant enough platform to bother putting an app on BlackBerry World. So I don't see WestJet dismissing it as particularly shrewd business wise. I'm pretty certain BlackBerry use is probably higher in Canada then most other countries.

Posted via CB10
    Clanked and RubberChicken76 like this.
    05-24-14 07:58 PM
    Airlines that do have apps in BlackBerry World, either native or Android ports....

Air Canada
    Porter (Canada)
    Delta (USA)
    United (USA )
    British Airways
    KLM (Netherlands)
    Jet Airways (India)
    Lufthansa (Germany)
    Avianca (Columbia)
    Qatar Airways
    South African Airways
    Egyptair
    Garuda Indonesia
    Alitalia (Italy)
    EasyJet (UK)
    Dana Air (Nigeria)
    Vueling Airlines (Spain)
    Air Asia (Malaysia)

Seems like all these airlines see BlackBerry as a relevant enough platform to bother putting an app on BlackBerry World. So I don't see WestJet dismissing it as particularly shrewd business wise. I'm pretty certain BlackBerry use is probably higher in Canada then most other countries.

Posted via CB10
    Did all of those companies come outneigh a BlackBerry App before iOS and Android?

05-24-14 08:44 PM
    I guess Air Canada and Porter are just silly BlackBerry fanatics themselves by wasting time, and money bothering to create a BB10 version of their apps. Their board of directors should be all sacked for their total lack of vision by not choosing to ignore BlackBerry like WestJet has so wisely done eh?

Posted via CB10
    Did Air Canada come out with BlackBerry App at the same time as they did iOS and Android?

And come on in event that doesn't have a BB10 app ignoring BlackBerry? Or are they just going with the biggest platforms first?

05-24-14 08:46 PM
    Good then stop touting "Proudly Canadian" slogan.
    So let me get this straight. You believe that a Canadian's national pride and identity are directly tied to their smartphone choice? So then you must think that the 85% of Canadian smartphone users aren't "proudly" Canadian since they buy smartphones that use iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

That's just plain crazy.
    05-24-14 10:15 PM
    There may be a lot of BB-using biz types flying Westjet. I somehow doubt that hearing they won't get a native app will cause them to abandon Westjet and its fares en masse.
    My company uses software from a travel company that puts the cheapest flight as your first option and send emails to management if you do not choose that cheapest flight. So business flights are basically out of my control, so it wouldn't really matter who has an app and who doesn't--I'd be forced to fly the cheapest logical fare no matter my outrage.
    05-24-14 10:48 PM
    I will never fly Westjet again

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Personally I'll fly with whomever gives me the best deal. Would be nice to see more BB10 apps though. Never affects any of my other decisions though.
    bbq10l likes this.
    05-24-14 11:36 PM
    So serious question here. How much does it cost to develop or translate an app and keep it updated?
    I'm not sure how long it takes to initially get an app on BBW.

However, once that is done, it takes less than 1 minute to package an Android app as a BB10 bar file.

In fact, BlackBerry plans to (if they haven't already) allow developers to submit the original Android app without any conversion at all. So in that case, the Android app would be instantaneously ready to submit to BBW.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 02:30 AM
    No serious developer, Canadian or otherwise, will spend any time, effort or money developing a native BB10 app
    Feel free to go into the developer forums on this site and tell the people developing Cascades apps that they aren't serious and are full of cr*& for developing native Cascades apps as many of them are ...
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 05-25-14 at 04:55 AM.
    Dave Bourque and Vorkosigan like this.
    05-25-14 04:42 AM
    So let me get this straight. You believe that a Canadian's national pride and identity are directly tied to their smartphone choice? So then you must think that the 85% of Canadian smartphone users aren't "proudly" Canadian since they buy smartphones that use iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

That's just plain crazy.
    Canadians don't really buy Windows Phones.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 05-25-14 at 04:56 AM.
    05-25-14 04:43 AM
198 12345 ...