06-19-14 01:05 PM
198 1234 ...
tools
    This is bizarre because Westjet's bread and butter are the business flights. A good chunk of who use BlackBerry. Obviously not a "business decision" but probably a bias choice by someone in the marketing department.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry is not nearly as dominant in business as Crackberry believes. Not everybody is a C-Suite in need of super locked down security. Furthermore, most of Blackberry's remaining business clients are still BB OS7 users. BB10 is the ultra minority.
    05-23-14 12:57 PM
    Blackberry is not nearly as dominant in business as Crackberry believes. Not everybody is a C-Suite in need of super locked down security.
    Very much dominant in Canada when it comes to business users...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    sk8er_tor and Clanked like this.
    05-23-14 12:59 PM
    Blackberry is not nearly as dominant in business as Crackberry believes. Not everybody is a C-Suite in need of super locked down security.
    Not sure where you are from but we are talking about a Canadian carrier here. Any yes, they are still a force here.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    05-23-14 01:00 PM
    They aren't a charity. They're a corporation whose goal is to maximize profits for share holders. I can't really blame them for not making a BB10 app.
    In case they are to blame because they are not officially porting the Android App to BlackBerry World. That would allow them to reach all the BB10 users with minimal (if not not-existent) cost.
    Nonsense. They aren't in business to pander to unrealistic fanbot and false nationalistic demands.

ETA: they were late even to bring to iOS and Android, the two biggest platforms, and nothing on WP either. It may come later.
    What is nonsense about my comment? Please explain. I was expressing my thoughts about their decision. Not commenting on whether their decision is right or wrong.

Or are you saying all corporate decisions are right and individuals cannot express their feelings and thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Nonsense. They aren't in business to pander to unrealistic fanbot and false nationalistic demands.

ETA: they were late even to bring to iOS and Android, the two biggest platforms, and nothing on WP either. It may come later.
    Really.....well sometimes a person has to take a stand even if they are one....and this case the OP has a point---it doesnt take much to then port this over to BBW....the power of one
    05-23-14 01:14 PM
    Competitors Air Canada and Porter have their apps on BBW... it's as simple as that... Westjet will be forced to bring their app eventually.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    neteng1000 and Clanked like this.
    05-23-14 01:25 PM
    Westjet just replied to my tweet saying they have no plans to bring their app to BlackBerry. In the past I vastly preferred Westjet over Air Canada, but lately they are about even for me. This could very well be the deciding factor the next time I'm choosing between the two.

If enough people tweet or contact them they may change their mind.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 01:50 PM
    Westjet just replied to my tweet saying they have no plans to bring their app to BlackBerry. In the past I vastly preferred Westjet over Air Canada, but lately they are about even for me. This could very well be the deciding factor the next time I'm choosing between the two.

If enough people tweet or contact them they may change their mind.

Posted via CB10
    I got the same generic response.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 01:52 PM
    Same problem with the Ottawa Citizen. They just announced their new app for the iPhone and Android. I sent them feedback that Ottawa is full of government workers with BlackBerry's and QNX folks, so there's a higher concentration of BlackBerry users here. The least they could do is convert the apk and put it on BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 02:28 PM
    On the one hand, I can understand everyone here who says that they should have put out a BlackBerry App, be it BB10 or BBOS or an HTML5 based app that would have worked across both platforms (if I am mistaken on that, my bad). It would be better for Canadian companies to support other Canadian companies.

On the other hand, I understand the whole concept that Android and iOS both dominate the consumer landscape. While the corporate market is their primary bread and butter, I'm more than certain that they want to expand into the consumer further than they're at now. So an app for the consumer market, as much as we wish BlackBerry 10 was coming out at the same time, is only logical to be iOS and Android at first.

But let's also take note of the fact that their app is essentially their web page. If memory serves me correctly, aren't a few groups praising the BlackBerry 10 web browser? If our Web browser is truly that good, then we don't really need to complain about the lack of an app that is effectively their website. If you travel WestJet that frequently, just put a bookmark to their web page on your device screen for quick access.... just my two cents worth.

Personally, I don't use them anyway, I primarily fly Air Canada, though I really wanna give Porter a try some time.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    05-23-14 02:34 PM
    I just read one of their Twitter replies that said Android and iOS make up 97% of their web traffic and that they have no plans for a BlackBerry App (we've heard that before)

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 03:39 PM
    What is nonsense about my comment? Please explain. I was expressing my thoughts about their decision. Not commenting on whether their decision is right or wrong.

Or are you saying all corporate decisions are right and individuals cannot express their feelings and thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Your original post: "Sad indeed. World is all about money. Everything else is sacrificed at the altar of costs and profits. Ah well. "

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and to express it within the TOS of the site. As am I, and hence my opinion.

The "rightness" of a business decision is always up for interpretation but seriously, overlooking BBRY is hardly proof for such a series of general condemnation. Why on earth should Westjet cater to BlackBerry for sentiment or nationalism alone? In that case forget BBRY and make apps for the CNIB, etc. Westjet made a business decision that may well have taken into account ROI. Well, good for them. That's what they are supposed to do. Both companies are big boys and both are in it to make money. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme.

Note I am assuming Westjet did the typical thing and looked at the numbers and said fugeddaboutit. Well, maybe instead some bean counter on the payroll hates BBRY and turned down the option. I will never know for sure so I assume the more likely scenario.
    05-23-14 03:46 PM
    Really.....well sometimes a person has to take a stand even if they are one....and this case the OP has a point---it doesnt take much to then port this over to BBW....the power of one
    Note I wasn't replying to the OP's post.

Absolutely, if this matters enough to Westjet customers, current and future, that they make sure to write and make it known to Westjet, it may make a difference.

There may be a lot of BB-using biz types flying Westjet. I somehow doubt that hearing they won't get a native app will cause them to abandon Westjet and its fares en masse.
    05-23-14 03:53 PM
    I just read one of their Twitter replies that said Android and iOS make up 97% of their web traffic and that they have no plans for a BlackBerry App (we've heard that before)

Posted via CB10
    Air Canada and Porter don't agree

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 05:07 PM
    The app pretty much sucks anyways. Not missing much. I already deleted it..
    05-23-14 05:12 PM
    Very much dominant in Canada when it comes to business users...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    That may or may not be true at this particular moment...but I don't think you'd want to graph it. You might not like the slope of the line.
    05-23-14 05:15 PM
    This is Canada. The only time we support anything Canadian is every 4 years for the Olympic hockey team in a two week tournament. Quite pathetic actually....

The only recourse is to contact the company in enough numbers to embarrass them to do an about face a la Rogers and the Z30 if it matters that much.
    neteng1000 likes this.
    05-23-14 09:15 PM
    To show how pathetic WestJet is, they don't even redirect BB10 browser users to their mobile site.
    05-23-14 10:23 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Let West jet hear it!!! Not acceptable!!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:27 PM
    To show how pathetic WestJet is, they don't even redirect BB10 browser users to their mobile site.
    Noticed that also

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 10:45 PM
    Most apps are ios and android only. But luckily android also applies to us too I guess

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 06:25 AM
    I saw on twitter that WestJet has released their long overdue and much anticipated mobile app. Unfortunately, they only offer it for iOS and Android :-( Granted, that you can install the Android version via Snap on to BB10 devices, as I have done. However I still think the vast majority of BlackBerry users are still unaware of Snap or even Android app compatibility on BB10 devices. I find it very sad and frustrating that a company such as WestJet, which touts itself as "Proudly Canadian", to the point of even painting that claim on the side of every plane in their fleet, chooses not to support Canada's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    So Canadian companies are supposed to come out with apps for BlackBerry first even though they have the lowest user base?

That's just silly.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    05-24-14 09:53 AM
    The Westjet app isn't that great. The e-boarding pass is just an email, so no need for the app over just using the website. Same with the Air Canada app in BBW.

Now, the Porter app in BBW is much better. The e-pass is actually in the app. Everything is better with Porter.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141/Telus
    05-24-14 10:29 AM
    I saw on twitter that WestJet has released their long overdue and much anticipated mobile app. Unfortunately, they only offer it for iOS and Android :-( Granted, that you can install the Android version via Snap on to BB10 devices, as I have done. However I still think the vast majority of BlackBerry users are still unaware of Snap or even Android app compatibility on BB10 devices. I find it very sad and frustrating that a company such as WestJet, which touts itself as "Proudly Canadian", to the point of even painting that claim on the side of every plane in their fleet, chooses not to support Canada's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Along the same lines I just watched a Wind Mobile "So your Canadian Eh" commercial toting unlimited use in the US featuring a Samsung phone. Of course wind is hardly a national carrier anyways.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    05-24-14 11:35 AM
198 1234 ...