10-03-13 12:21 PM
73 123
tools
    The bring your own device concept is good to a point for companies but I think at the same time they have to be careful because you are in some cases allowing sensitive company data to go to someones personal phone that unless it is manage by some kind of server that can remotely access the device if needed there is a risk. One of the reasons blackberry was so successful in the business world was they gave companies the ability to manage the phones from a central point. I think BBM cross platform will be huge because of what it can do. I hope Prem does take Blackberry in the right direction and they come back strong. I am sure not all who read this will agree but it is my thought and opinion on this matter.
    09-30-13 03:32 PM
    Furthermore - BlackBerry has ever since the launch of BlackBerry10 focused on the Platform, not devices, - and BlackBerry has always said that they are in no way able to compete in the low-end/cost market on devices.
    Blackberry isn't capable of competing with the high-end devices either. iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 aren't low end devices and they are killing Blackberry.
    09-30-13 03:34 PM
    Of course he's going to say that, he's getting a major tech player for a fraction of it's actual worth. Once BB10 and BES10 mature and get a crirical mass of installations, he's going to be reaping the benifit of that previous investment. An investment made by the current shareholders, who will be totally shut out of any future upside.
    Shareholders will actually be the one's determining whether the sale goes through so they aren't really being shut out. the way things generally work is the offer is put out to the public (tender offer), current shareholders can reply and "sell" their shares for the offering price. at some point the buy-out is put to a vote, if the offer is successful, and enough shares are purchased by the group attempting the buy out, they own that vote and it goes through, if it isn't then it doesn't. the shareholders aren't really being shut out of anything...at least that's how I've seen tender offers and buy outs happen in the past.
    09-30-13 03:53 PM
    I think a "prosumer" device is thought to be primarily used for email/messaging/voice communications while a "consumer" device would add-on consumer apps and content on top of those functions. When Watsa says that BBRY has lost the consumer battle, he likely means that BB10 does not appeal to the consumer market which wants the apps and content which BB10 is simply incapable of providing (however much BBRY would like to pretend otherwise).
    What a bunch of bull.. What apps and content is BB10 "simply incapable of providing"?
    Morten likes this.
    09-30-13 05:07 PM
    To be fair; your business phone should be to conduct business with Use your personal phone to have fun with (IMHO)
    No, that's absolutely the wrong attitude here. BlackBerry is not the middle east...there is no "two-phone solution" here.

No one in 2013/2014 wants to carry two phones. For those enterprises that truly value security they will use BlackBerry and only BlackBerry...everyone else will let their employees pick, and they will all pick ios or droid. Thinking that people will compromise is what got BlackBerry in this predicament, and now their only solution is to be coming the dominant MDM platform.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 05:16 PM
    ....which wants the apps and content which BB10 is simply incapable of providing
    Do you even "know" what BB10 is capable of?

How can it be that Android and iOS developers say the opposite of what you just wrote?

Even a plain Android app, with little or NO porting - just repacked - runs more smooth on any current BB10 devices, than on plain Android devices.

BB10 is currently the most secure, fastest, most open mobile platform in existence, and happily runs anything you can through at it - at least as good as on other platforms.

Also keep in mind please - that BB10 is NOT a device... it is a platform - which runs on several different devices.
    09-30-13 05:18 PM
    No one in 2013/2014 wants to carry two phones.
    We do,...

for many reasons... but most have 2 devices each...
    09-30-13 05:20 PM
    We do,...

for many reasons... but most have 2 devices each...
    We being...?

I'll assume you're referring to your employer (or employees if you're running your own business), but even if you're in a firm with 20000+ people, that's hardly a representative sample of the overall market.

BlackBerry, and the people who support BlackBerry, need to stop having this restricted world view. Just because 60 million people are using qwerty phones, doesn't mean 60 million people WANT to use qwerty phones. Same goes for dual device wielder, and people who want/use apps. The world is bigger then what BlackBerry wants it to be, that's a simple fact.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    09-30-13 05:37 PM
    To be fair; your business phone should be to conduct business with Use your personal phone to have fun with (IMHO)
    Or maybe your personal phone should be able to conduct business and provide pleasure? Welcome to 2013.

Two phones? People don't even want to carry a phone and a compact camera. What makes you think they want to carry two smartphones everywhere?

Please. Wake. Up.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-30-13 10:51 PM
    Enterprise (at least the Enterprise people I know) are already moving away from BlackBerry... BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 10 is horrible and much like BB10 it was rushed to the market place, and is full of bugs, and features that are "coming soon." The Universal Device Services (UDS) is brutal compared to their competition, like Air-Watch or MobileIron. #KeepMoving
    Can you elaborate more on why you say that BES10 is full of bugs? Our company has been using it for several months with a mixture of BB10 devices and iPhones and up to this point have been totally satisfied with it.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    10-01-13 07:33 AM
    They really need to get their story straight - depending on the hour of the day and who is speaking, they are:

a) Exiting consumer marketplace

b) Targeting prosumers

c) Focusing on enterprise

d) Running around with their underpants on their head.

It's like the muppetshow.
    10-01-13 07:36 AM
    They really need to get their story straight - depending on the hour of the day and who is speaking, they are:

a) Exiting consumer marketplace

b) Targeting prosumers

c) Focusing on enterprise

d) Running around with their underpants on their head.

It's like the muppetshow.
    That's why I want the deal from Prem Watsa to go through ASAP. So that all the speculation can stop and they focus on their solution. I really think they need a big change in their management team, from top to bottom. Let go lots of incompetent managers and hire new blood.
    10-01-13 11:07 AM
    Ummm can anyone provide a direct quote where BlackBerry said they were going to exit the consumer market? All I can find is where they said that they were going to focus on enterprise and the prosumers which looks like many are assuming means they are getting out of the consumer. To me that does not translate as a definite exit of the consumer market. If anything, in my opinion, they will just devote more resources to things like security / communications / productivity apps / reliability and devote less time on things like camera filters or trying to convince every single app maker to build an app for BB10 like Instagram. It's just putting a narrower focus in general which, in my opinion, is required in their even smaller state and go from there.
    vgorous likes this.
    10-01-13 11:35 AM
    Ummm can anyone provide a direct quote where BlackBerry said they were going to exit the consumer market? All I can find is where they said that they were going to focus on enterprise and the prosumers which looks like many are assuming means they are getting out of the consumer. To me that does not translate as a definite exit of the consumer market. If anything, in my opinion, they will just devote more resources to things like security / communications / productivity apps / reliability and devote less time on things like camera filters or trying to convince every single app maker to build an app for BB10 like Instagram. It's just putting a narrower focus in general which, in my opinion, is required in their even smaller state and go from there.
    No one can provide a direct quote as they didn't say it.
    10-01-13 11:38 AM
    They don't have to say it. The other option would be to say, "We're sticking it out in the consumer market, where we're bleeding $500 million per quarter because, gosh darn it, we want that pesky $2.6 billion in cash we have gone in a year and a half."
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-01-13 11:46 AM
    There isn't a direct quote and people are making assumptions. It wouldn't be smart for Prem to say it before the sale goes through but saying we can't compete in the consumer market with Apple and Google and the focus will be enterprise is kind of saying it a round about way so I can see why people are speculating that's the way it will go.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-01-13 02:21 PM
    No one can provide a direct quote as they didn't say it.
    Its not hard for someone to come to conclusion with him saying that and they can't complete with Apple and Samsung/Android. Sounds like they won't even try to be #3 consumer mobile OS.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-01-13 05:04 PM
    I agree entirely. I think this notion that a "prosumer" is a "prosumer" 24/7 is a myth. Professionals, business executives, etc may have specific "professional" requirements for their smartphones but the vast majority will also want their smartphones to have "consumer" functions.
    Yes, not all consumers are business/enterprise users, but most of business/enterprise users are also consumers. In the enterprise market, apps become even more critical. We are not talking about just Instagram or Skype alone (they are important to business users too), but what is totally lacking in BB world is the vertical market apps (occupation/job specific apps) such as those used by medical doctors, field contractor and other business people. iPhone for example, has all of those (Apple do not have to ask developer to create those apps but each specific market comes up with those on their own, thanks partially to super convenient iOS app development kit), but it is a dizzyingly long way to go for BB. App is not about games and other consumer ones only.
    Will see how things may or may not develop, and where the whole thing might finally settle at.
    NYC10065 likes this.
    10-01-13 05:58 PM
    If BlackBerry does go private, Heins will receive a compensation package worth as much as $55.6 million for less than two years at the helm of the company. The agreement was reached between Heins and a three-person committee earlier this year that included Watsa.

This guy (WP) will save this Company?

Read more: BlackBerry shareholders, potential partners in dark as Fairfax constructs bid | CTV News
    10-01-13 10:10 PM
    Anybody else read between the lines? Sounds like we may be about to bid farewell to our consumer handsets. What a shame that would be but sounds like the reality of things.
    One minute they say they aren't exiting the consumer market as reports suggest, then we get a quote like this. It's time they give some straight answers regarding the future plans.

Posted via CB10
    I think there are two stories here that have to be kept separate. BlackBerry Ltd itself says they will go into enterprise AND prosumer (ex-consumer). Exiting the consumer market and focusing on enterprise only is a statement having repeatedly come from Watsa only.

I guess BlackBerry doesn't want to alienate current and potential customers so they express this more cautiously, especially in case the deal doesn't go through. Watsa doesn't have to care, as soon as he takes over, the consumer part of BlackBerry is history.
    10-01-13 10:27 PM
    Nobody has mentioned BB Balance yet. Its the obvious solution (great one too) to the consumer/business phone question.

Not much discussion on the use of the Android player to provide access for consumer type apps AND business type apps for that matter.

I think they can compete, personally. But they can't compete on leadership. BB has always had poor management with weak leadership; read: no strong helmsman at the wheel. I thought Mr. Heins would be but he simply is a back room guy. Nothing wrong with that however.

Right now I'm not seeing a strong, workable vision being presented by Prem Watsa. Taking the company private is genius. With any luck they can come up the middle when Apple starts to grab all the headlines for a lack of innovation. Maybe that's all they plan lol
    10-01-13 10:28 PM
    And as a consumer why do I want a phone that can not compete with Apple or Samsung ? As a business user why would I want a phone without the same apps as my customers ? What are these huge advantages that he talks of ?
    If you are in business what apps are you talking about that you can securely use at work that your customers might have that you don't ? Instagram?, Netflix? Candy Crush? Please specify what apps you mean.

Posted via CB10
    dentynefire likes this.
    10-01-13 10:29 PM
    What a bunch of bull.. What apps and content is BB10 "simply incapable of providing"?
    Seriously? Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events. That would be all the apps and content that BB10 has failed to provide up until 10:45 EST tonight, which is a boatload.

There have been a couple of threads about it here. Just one or two. Search is your friend.
    They really need to get their story straight - depending on the hour of the day and who is speaking...It's like the muppetshow.
    It's a measure of how confused things must be at Waterloo. To be honest, I can't blame them too much. It must be rough right now. That statement the other day which seemed to walk back the earlier official statement that they were exiting the consumer market was pretty sad to see.

In any case, Prem confirmed it with the quote today. As we have been saying all along, the chances that BBRY survives as a consumer cellphone maker like AAPL or Samsung is basically nil at this point.
    10-01-13 10:45 PM
    If BlackBerry does go private, Heins will receive a compensation package worth as much as $55.6 million for less than two years at the helm of the company. The agreement was reached between Heins and a three-person committee earlier this year that included Watsa.

This guy (WP) [sic?] will save this Company?
    What gave you the impression that he will 'save the company'? Are you familiar with his reasons for making an offer? He's simply trying to average his paper loss down. All the way, mind you, but that's what's going on. He's going to realize as much value as he can out of the pieces of the firm and hopefully break even on his investment.

Who knows, maybe he even thinks that he can show a small annualized gain!
    10-01-13 10:52 PM
    What gave you the impression that he will 'save the company'? Are you familiar with his reasons for making an offer? He's simply trying to average his paper loss down. All the way, mind you, but that's what's going on. He's going to realize as much value as he can out of the pieces of the firm and hopefully break even on his investment.
    Who knows, maybe he even thinks that he can show a small annualized gain!
    I agree. If he can turn a profit by selling off tech he will. If it is an ego thing he may try to turn the company around. I hope for turning the company around. Still love my Z 10!
    10-02-13 07:08 AM
73 123