10-03-13 11:21 AM
73 123
tools
    From Globeandmail:
    Fairfax

He said exactly what I think about Blackberry:

Its a good company, its a good product. Otherwise nothing could help it, he says. Can it compete in the consumer market with Apple and Samsung and the Android? No, we think thats very tough. But in the enterprise market theyve got huge advantages.
    09-30-13 08:32 AM
    Lets hope he can be the hero here!
    09-30-13 08:37 AM
    Enterprise (at least the Enterprise people I know) are already moving away from BlackBerry... BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 10 is horrible and much like BB10 it was rushed to the market place, and is full of bugs, and features that are "coming soon." The Universal Device Services (UDS) is brutal compared to their competition, like Air-Watch or MobileIron. #KeepMoving
    09-30-13 09:04 AM
    Interesting!! I hope BlackBerry can do better in the future

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 09:08 AM
    Enterprise (at least the Enterprise people I know) are already moving away from BlackBerry... BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) 10 is horrible and much like BB10 it was rushed to the market place, and is full of bugs, and features that are "coming soon." The Universal Device Services (UDS) is brutal compared to their competition, like Air-Watch or MobileIron. #KeepMoving
    Can you elaborate how it is horrible compare with air watch and mobileiron?

We are currently using BES10 and it?s good for us. But we only have few iPhones and Android devices, mainly BlackBerry phones. I agree it's still no compare with BES5 but it's getting better and better.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 09:36 AM
    One thing Prem Watsa isn't is stupid. While I am skeptical that enterprise is enough to save BBRY (unless is shrinks massively and is a mere shadow of itself today), I would never count Watsa out since he's generally made money when others have written him and his investments off.

I just don't understand what he and others mean about focusing on "enterprise". If all enterprise is is BES10, I really don't see that as being BBRY's salvation.
    09-30-13 09:37 AM
    And as a consumer why do I want a phone that can not compete with Apple or Samsung ? As a business user why would I want a phone without the same apps as my customers ? What are these huge advantages that he talks of ?
    09-30-13 09:41 AM
    We are using it and it works well. What version are you running?
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    09-30-13 09:42 AM
    From Globeandmail:
    Fairfax

He said exactly what I think about Blackberry:

Its a good company, its a good product. Otherwise nothing could help it, he says. Can it compete in the consumer market with Apple and Samsung and the Android? No, we think thats very tough. But in the enterprise market theyve got huge advantages.
    Of course he's going to say that, he's getting a major tech player for a fraction of it's actual worth. Once BB10 and BES10 mature and get a crirical mass of installations, he's going to be reaping the benifit of that previous investment. An investment made by the current shareholders, who will be totally shut out of any future upside.
    09-30-13 09:54 AM
    Of course he's going to say that, he's getting a major tech player for a fraction of it's actual worth. Once BB10 and BES10 mature and get a crirical mass of installations, he's going to be reaping the benifit of that previous investment. An investment made by the current shareholders, who will be totally shut out of any future upside.
    While I would tend to agree that what Watsa is saying is somewhat self-serving and predictable, I would disagree that Watsa is "getting a major tech player for a fraction of it's actual worth" since BBRY's actual worth is whatever the market is willing to pay for it. Perhaps he sees potential in BBRY that the market isn't seeing but if BBRY is worth a penny more than what Watsa is willing to pay then whomever that entity is will emerge before Nov 4 and make a competing bid. Perhaps Mike Lazaridis will come out of the woodwork.
    mset and OMGitworks like this.
    09-30-13 10:00 AM

The problem is that "critical mass" shows no signs of ever happening.
    Knightcrawler and Blacklatino like this.
    09-30-13 10:12 AM
    While I would tend to agree that what Watsa is saying is somewhat self-serving and predictable, I would disagree that Watsa is "getting a major tech player for a fraction of it's actual worth" since BBRY's actual worth is whatever the market is willing to pay for it. Perhaps he sees potential in BBRY that the market isn't seeing but if BBRY is worth a penny more than what Watsa is willing to pay then whomever that entity is will emerge before Nov 4 and make a competing bid. Perhaps Mike Lazaridis will come out of the woodwork.
    Exactly. This isn't a hostile takeover; BBRY has indicated a willingness to recommend acquisition at $9 a share, which is roughly $5 a share to purchase cash and $4 a share for all of BBRY's operations, patents, etc.
    09-30-13 10:12 AM
    And as a consumer why do I want a phone that can not compete with Apple or Samsung ? As a business user why would I want a phone without the same apps as my customers ? What are these huge advantages that he talks of ?
    To be fair; your business phone should be to conduct business with Use your personal phone to have fun with (IMHO)
    bb624 and GRojasHruska like this.
    09-30-13 10:17 AM
    And I would like to see blackberry partners htc for just one device.

Htc hardware running BlackBerry 10.2

Posted via CB10
    RubenDM and Alphax45 like this.
    09-30-13 10:35 AM
    To be fair; your business phone should be to conduct business with Use your personal phone to have fun with (IMHO)
    And this is why BB is where it is today. people do not want to carry around 2 phones all the time. One for work and one for whatever else you might want to do. There is this thing called progression. For me BB10 is a great step in that direction. I have used the curent edition of android as a business phone and I have used iOS os a business phone. Both are pretty dang good to use for business use. Especially the iPhone. With facetime baked into every phone it is very easy to communicate with a user and help them troubleshoot an issue remotely. The only main difference is the control an IT department can have over the phone. And honestly People do not want that at all. People want freedom. don't get me wrong I have a Z10 and I love it. But it does for me exactly what I need to a smartphone to do. But for the vast majorty they need and want more than what BB has ever been able to do.
    09-30-13 10:59 AM
    Anybody else read between the lines? Sounds like we may be about to bid farewell to our consumer handsets. What a shame that would be but sounds like the reality of things.
    One minute they say they aren't exiting the consumer market as reports suggest, then we get a quote like this. It's time they give some straight answers regarding the future plans.

Posted via CB10
    Air Force One and milo53 like this.
    09-30-13 11:02 AM
    And this is why BB is where it is today. people do not want to carry around 2 phones all the time. One for work and one for whatever else you might want to do. There is this thing called progression. For me BB10 is a great step in that direction. I have used the curent edition of android as a business phone and I have used iOS os a business phone. Both are pretty dang good to use for business use. Especially the iPhone. With facetime baked into every phone it is very easy to communicate with a user and help them troubleshoot an issue remotely. The only main difference is the control an IT department can have over the phone. And honestly People do not want that at all. People want freedom. don't get me wrong I have a Z10 and I love it. But it does for me exactly what I need to a smartphone to do. But for the vast majorty they need and want more than what BB has ever been able to do.
    I agree entirely. I think this notion that a "prosumer" is a "prosumer" 24/7 is a myth. Professionals, business executives, etc may have specific "professional" requirements for their smartphones but the vast majority will also want their smartphones to have "consumer" functions.
    09-30-13 11:07 AM
    Anybody else read between the lines? Sounds like we may be about to bid farewell to our consumer handsets. What a shame that would be but sounds like the reality of things.
    One minute they say they aren't exiting the consumer market as reports suggest, then we get a quote like this. It's time they give some straight answers regarding the future plans.

Posted via CB10
    Reading between the lines usually means making up statements. What makes a consumer handset any different from an enterprise handset? I use my Z10 for both personal and business use. So does this mean that Android and iPhones because they are consumer devices cannot be used in Enterprise? A phone is a phone. Now Blackberry is selling direct to CONSUMERS, why would it not be considered a consumer device?
    09-30-13 11:10 AM
    Reading between the lines usually means making up statements. What makes a consumer handset any different from an enterprise handset? I use my Z10 for both personal and business use. So does this mean that Android and iPhones because they are consumer devices cannot be used in Enterprise? A phone is a phone. Now Blackberry is selling direct to CONSUMERS, why would it not be considered a consumer device?
    I guess I should have clarified what I was getting at. It sounds like the focus will become on enterprise meaning the average consumer won't be able to pick up a device at their local carrier (potentially). Now for you and I this is fine if we can still purchase a device but for the average person, they will likely not look beyond what their carrier has available. All this means is less sales, less apps, and very little chance of a return to the consumer market.

Posted via CB10
    Air Force One likes this.
    09-30-13 11:15 AM
    I think a "prosumer" device is thought to be primarily used for email/messaging/voice communications while a "consumer" device would add-on consumer apps and content on top of those functions. When Watsa says that BBRY has lost the consumer battle, he likely means that BB10 does not appeal to the consumer market which wants the apps and content which BB10 is simply incapable of providing (however much BBRY would like to pretend otherwise).
    Air Force One and ray689 like this.
    09-30-13 11:15 AM
    There doesn't have to be too much reading between the lines...he flat out said that they cannot compete with the current market leaders. That spells doom for BB faithful

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-30-13 11:30 AM
    How can anyone really compete with either apple or samsung's android right now? Maybe in a year or two when BB is finally managed better ... I mean, how would a boss feel if you keep on missing deadlines. He/she will probably replace you with someone who can do the job better ... i say most likely...
    09-30-13 11:59 AM
    Exactly. This isn't a hostile takeover; BBRY has indicated a willingness to recommend acquisition at $9 a share, which is roughly $5 a share to purchase cash and $4 a share for all of BBRY's operations, patents, etc.
    Considering I read earlier that Candy Crush is valued at $8 Billion, how could Blackberry be worth only $4 per share ??
    viper-85 likes this.
    09-30-13 12:24 PM
    Considering I read earlier that Candy Crush is valued at $8 Billion, how could Blackberry be worth only $4 per share ??
    off hand I'd say because of the smaller user base and ad sales.. Mind you, I've never played Candy Crush but can i assume that there are either ads or in game purchases available?

It's kind of like terrestrial radio.. you give the programming away for free and hold contests/giveaways to entice listeners which boosts raitings which sells ads which generates revenue..
    09-30-13 12:41 PM
    Consumers has been using BlackBerry devices since the early beginning... So if you by "consumer handsets" mean "cheap devices" - than I guess you are correct.

Furthermore - BlackBerry has ever since the launch of BlackBerry10 focused on the Platform, not devices, - and BlackBerry has always said that they are in no way able to compete in the low-end/cost market on devices. Phones are just one of many uses for the BlackBerry10 platform, and I guess we will see that more and more over the next years.

BlackBerry phone hardware are together with BlackBerry 10 still the most secure experience, - and are one of the very top communication devices - with radio/antenna technology giving more signals - dropping less calls - than most others.

So - consumer or not - If you are looking for the more robust, secure, reliable - and best communication device - you would still want a BlackBerry10 device.

Another fun part - is that - the loudest screaming of always latest in hardware - comes from the low-end users who don't really understand the meaning of it all... It does not matter how many GHz, MB or bit - all what matters is the end result - hardware+software- and how the user experience + possibilities are...
    09-30-13 02:12 PM
73 123