Will the general public ever succeed in keeping any scraps of remaining privacy from government snooping under the name of combatting terrorism? What do you think? Happy to share your Blackberry messages? Hey, what next, allow governments to track your movements via GPS too After all, they keep your cell phone records for two years already.

Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair sniffles whilst saying "Terrorists and other criminals are tapping out schemes on their BlackBerries knowing there is little chance the police will get their hands on the incriminating messages"

Full article:
    globeandmail.com: Police need the power to monitor wireless messages, Toronto chief says
    Last edited by Berryman; 11-27-07 at 12:25 PM.
    11-27-07 12:19 PM
    Though I feel that National Security (of any nation) is very important I believe there is a fine line between security and invasion of privacy. This is all a slippery slope. I have found people that believe if you don't do anything wrong then what do you have to hide? And I have found others who think: Why should we have to be put under the microscope just because we may be doing something?

Personally I feel law enforcement is relying too much on technology and not enough on good old fashioned police work. If you suspect someone is doing something wrong than present evidence and get a warrant...don't go fishing at the sacrifice of people's privacy. I know the ladder may produce a result quicker, but more than likely what will happen is resourses being pulled away from one area to monitor phone calls and messaging, thus crippling the infrastructure and making the main "boots on the ground" arm of the law more diluted and less effective.

But this is just my opinion...who really knows where the line is, or what is the best way to deal with the 3 headed monster of new technology, privacy and protection.
    11-27-07 12:43 PM
    Good points, but if you understand FISA, the intent is to monitor conversations (emails, phone calls, etc) that are between suspected terrorists abroad and communicating with someone inside the US. It's not general snooping of communication between you and me.
    11-27-07 01:36 PM
    Good points, but if you understand FISA, the intent is to monitor conversations (emails, phone calls, etc) that are between suspected terrorists abroad and communicating with someone inside the US. It's not general snooping of communication between you and me.
    I am aware of FISA...unfortunately (and we have to remember this is a Canadian article so there may be different issues I/we are not aware of)...the FISA court has been bypassed by our own government. I am all for FISA if they would utilize it the way it is meant to be. Too easily when you allow a little lee-way (sp?) abuses happen. But hopefully the officials we elect will help and make sure that these privileges are not abused...hopefully.
    11-27-07 03:40 PM
    Trouble is, once governments have been given the right and means to monitor, listen and record all calls and emails corespondance, the ability is prone to misuse and governments can operate without any transparency and very little accountability.
    11-27-07 03:44 PM
    Trouble is, once governments have been given the right and means to monitor, listen and record all calls and emails corespondance, the ability is prone to misuse and governments can operate without any transparency and very little accountability.
    That's kind of what I'm driving at.
    11-27-07 03:55 PM
    Big brother is watching you, even if they don't admit, they have been doing it for years.
    11-27-07 03:58 PM
    Unfortunately the role of those in govt have seen it their job to constantly seek more power, greater latitude to use power and avoid transparency.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-07 04:13 PM
    Don't be fooled, Big Brother is always watching! If you only REALLY knew the things that have been going on for years now, in the name of security.
    11-27-07 09:13 PM
    I'd much rather the government reading my BB than work LOL
    11-28-07 07:18 AM
    I'm with aptylgem, I can only imagine wuts behind those closed doors. Now I'm all for fighting to protect our freedom but not at the expense of giving up my freedoms were protecting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-07 02:03 AM
    For the current rate of appraisal in the rate of crime it isn't wrong for the govt or police to think that way,but again if has nothing to do with probing into someone's personal life unnecessarily then that should be fine, because we know " We are not doing any crime. Then why worry????"
    11-30-07 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD