02-07-15 06:33 PM
60 123
tools
    The best thing the BlackBerry PlayBook did for me was to introduce me to CB ^^

Posted via CB10
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    01-29-15 05:40 AM
    I actually plugged mine in to charge it up.....
    01-29-15 09:48 AM
    The actual death date of the Playbook was April 2014. That is when the software was no longer supported by BlackBerry. Now you can argue, that it's death date was much sooner on April 19, 2011 when it went on sale in Canada and the US. It never stood a chance against the iPad, and was fraught with problems right from day one. Releasing it without a email client from a supposed email company killed the product day one. Horrible ad campaigns using words like "full web experience" and "Ammeter hour is over" made a horrible product even worse...

RIP. RIM Playbook 2011-2013 We hardly knew you...

Software Support Life Cycle - US
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-29-15 10:52 AM
    I still use my playbook as a media server and viewer. And also for some games that are on it. It isn't a bad tablet for its age and sale price

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 11:47 AM
    I use mine as a bible at chuch. It's convenient since it connects to my Q10 and Q20, so I don't have to look at my phone when a text comes thru

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    01-29-15 11:55 AM
    Releasing it without a email client from a supposed email company killed the product day one.
    I actually did pause before buying my Playbook because of the reports over the lack of email.

Call me Mr Gullible , but I was reassured by one of the co-CEO's (Basillie?) stating on public record that native email would be there within 60-days... and so I bought it, full UK price. First and last time I'll ever buy anything on a promise - even a promise from the CEO of a quoted company.

So, the "coming soon" lies from BB started almost before the Playbook was released, and BB never stopped lying up to and including the "Playbook will get BB10" Big Lie which probably served to sell a few more Playbooks at the end to a few more more gullible people. IIRC, there was a sales spike in the last quarter of 100,000 Playbooks after what had previously been flat-lining sales - then BB 'fessed up that "erm, no, BB10 wasn't coming to Playbook after all" and sales tanked. At least they didn't pay full price for it at the end, which is some consolation for them I guess.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    01-29-15 12:51 PM
    I still use my PlayBook daily. Amazon Prime Video works great on it.
    Sayumi Whisp and BerryRipe like this.
    01-29-15 12:56 PM
    I'm using my playbook really often...
    Streaming, Surfing, language training... watching videos on train... dont know, my playbook runs smooth.

Posted via CB10
    PowderJockey likes this.
    01-29-15 04:54 PM
    I still use it every night to watch Doctor Who reruns...

Posted via CB10
    PowderJockey and rthonpm like this.
    01-29-15 05:13 PM
    I still use mine from time to time for games and music. But I don't use any tablets generally. My Nexus 6 is big enough for anything short of a laptop. I do have an iPad mini that I don't use. I use the playbook before that little laggy gem.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-29-15 06:00 PM
    Did the Playbook dieded?
    rebroker2009 and 3Dee like this.
    01-29-15 06:04 PM
    I feel for your lost! I still have mines working for games (modern combat 2 online, chess and a couple more).
    Trini what's up man...I play you all the time? *( MattLove2110)*

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 06:13 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Bought mine launch day $600 canadian... still works.. no regrets... life goes on...

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:06 PM
    i still used mine up until just recently and just use my Z30 now for watching movies on the train to work.
    I have an ipad mini but did prefer my playbook over that,
    it still sits on my desk at home maybe one day i will plug it back in again
    01-29-15 08:15 PM
    I occasionally use my PB. Still great for videos, e-book reading and playing Mahjong For everything else and more, I use by Samsung tablet.
    01-29-15 10:54 PM
    I use mine to occasionally check email, web surfing in a pinch, and to hang around CB. I'm using it right now to make this post.
    01-29-15 11:09 PM
    I had 3, 16gb paid $199 at sears, 32gb ebay $70, 64gb $60 at staples brand new as well, sold the 16gb for $120 and use my 64gb every night

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    01-29-15 11:15 PM
    Hell, I can't even find mine.
    01-29-15 11:57 PM
    Mine is in daily use, mostly by my wife for sofa "window shopping" and kids for certain games and youtube.
    01-30-15 05:04 AM
    I actually did pause before buying my Playbook because of the reports over the lack of email.

Call me Mr Gullible , but I was reassured by one of the co-CEO's (Basillie?) stating on public record that native email would be there within 60-days... and so I bought it, full UK price. First and last time I'll ever buy anything on a promise - even a promise from the CEO of a quoted company.

So, the "coming soon" lies from BB started almost before the Playbook was released, and BB never stopped lying up to and including the "Playbook will get BB10" Big Lie which probably served to sell a few more Playbooks at the end to a few more more gullible people. IIRC, there was a sales spike in the last quarter of 100,000 Playbooks after what had previously been flat-lining sales - then BB 'fessed up that "erm, no, BB10 wasn't coming to Playbook after all" and sales tanked. At least they didn't pay full price for it at the end, which is some consolation for them I guess.
    I take offense at you calling those of us that bought a BB10 BlackBerry one the premise it would be a great companion for our BB10 PlayBooks!

It is true... but I still take offense to it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-15 07:02 AM
    Trini what's up man...I play you all the time? *( MattLove2110)*

Posted via CB10
    What's up MattLove2110. It is always a pleasure to see you on the battle-field. I hope all is well...
    01-30-15 07:29 AM
    Well, it's either at work or eldest kid has it. At 24, brat still believes what's mine is hers. Once it's charged, I still use it for music storage. It's unfortunate, but, unlike the Storm, some of us actually still use it.
    from my Z30 on 10.3.1.2072 via Tap-a-Talk (~_*)
    01-30-15 07:41 AM
    I take offense at you calling those of us that bought a BB10 BlackBerry one the premise it would be a great companion for our BB10 PlayBooks!

It is true... but I still take offense to it.
    Heh-heh, no offence intended (even tho' I realise you are joking).

I never actually believed that BB10 *would* come to the PB, so maybe I was learning and becoming less gullible?

On the subject of partnering phone and PB, do you recall how they degraded the functionality of Bridge and tried to present it as an improvement? How we laughed...

I still have a soft spot for the PB. Excellent HW, perfect size - but badly served by the OS which was never really finished.

Such potential, sadly wasted.

RIP Playbook, you never really had a chance.
    01-30-15 07:44 AM
    Tried hard to stay with mine...but finally this week the slow browser has pushed me over the line. For music and relaxation sounds, I'd loved it. For watching movies and playing some games on long flights, it fit the bill. For Kindle and Kobo, it wasn't bad, although the apps crashed regularly and needed to be reset every couple weeks. And the build quality...superb, steady and sure in my hands. Screen and sound...outstanding. I wanted to be loyal to BB. But for the bulk of my desired uses...relaxing web browsing without having to pull out my laptop around or do a quick check of something on line...it is so maddening. And I really don't want to have mutliple devices here and there. So, all good things do some to an end. I'm moving on. Android tablet with Amazon shipping, arrives next week. I'm sorry about it too as I really wanted this to work out for more times to come.
    I just moved on to the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and I def like it a little better than the Playbook! Long story short, there isn't anything it can't do that I've thrown at it! I'll still hold on to my PB though cause its still useful from time to time.

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    01-30-15 02:20 PM
    Blackberry Playbook February 15, 2012 - January 27, 2015: It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Blackberry Playbook on January 27, 2015. Born in Canada, Playbook had a short, but productive life. Blackberry Playbook was predeceased by Palm Treo, Blackberry Curve and Motorola Atrix 4G. Playbook is survived by Blackberry Z30 and special friend, SeeBeeEss. Playbook will be sadly missed. As per Playbook's wishes, there will be no funeral. In lieu of flowers, donations of cash or a shiny new BlackBerry Passport may be sent to SeeBeeEss care of CrackBerry.
    Okay, after PlayBook died, I immediately started seeing HP Stream 8. Maybe I needed to mourn a little longer before embarking on a new relationship, but even though Stream 8 has many fine qualities, I just don't find her as classy or well-built as Playbook. Sure, she's cheap and faster if that's what you are after, but I am looking for love....
    01-30-15 05:37 PM
60 123