02-07-15 06:33 PM
60 123
tools
    Blackberry Playbook February 15, 2012 - January 27, 2015: It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Blackberry Playbook on January 27, 2015. Born in Canada, Playbook had a short, but productive life. Blackberry Playbook was predeceased by Palm Treo, Blackberry Curve and Motorola Atrix 4G. Playbook is survived by Blackberry Z30 and special friend, SeeBeeEss. Playbook will be sadly missed. As per Playbook's wishes, there will be no funeral. In lieu of flowers, donations of cash or a shiny new BlackBerry Passport may be sent to SeeBeeEss care of CrackBerry.
    jrsva2008 and anon(9169048) like this.
    01-28-15 07:06 AM
    My condolences....
    techvisor likes this.
    01-28-15 07:11 AM
    I would say long (tech wise) unproductive life is my experience. Worst tech purchase I ever made, and I could have bought an iPad 2 for same price and BlackBerry would at least still be supporting an iPad2. They promised so much and delivered so little.

Posted via CB10
    tack likes this.
    01-28-15 07:51 AM
    Just throw your PlayBook in the dustbin.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 07:58 AM
    Won't be missed. One of BlackBerry biggest goof ups.

Still got it. The browser still crashes so it remains in the desk.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-28-15 08:02 AM
    Ouch! No respect for the dead...lol

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 08:07 AM
    Different Strokes I guess... still rocking my Playbook from day one... actually have 3 of them.... use it everyday as my first gen Ipad sits collecting dust.....
    01-28-15 08:12 AM
    They promised so much and delivered so little.
    So much this.

The Playbook broken promises, endless "coming soon", and the final abandonment of users by BB did much to prompt my move away from BB devices. When the Z10 (which I had planned to buy) arrived with its woefully incomplete BB10 OS, I decided not to put myself through the same "coming soon" promises by not waiting for a finished BB10 product.

I guess it's still 2014 in Waterloo seeing as how 10.3.1 hasn't been released. It's OK though, I hear it's coming soon.

Fool me once, ...

RIP Playbook.
    01-28-15 08:15 AM
    I powered mine up the other day and was having fun with it until I need to share from the browser like I do on my Z30. It's a shame that BlackBerry didn't give us a complete package. I'd still would be using it today had I've been able to do with it what I do with my Z30. It's not like the PlayBook can't do it, BlackBerry decided not to let it do what it's suppose to do. I don't mean Bb10 either. BlackBerry could easily made the PlayBook perform just like any other tablet with out using bb10. Regardless, R.I.P. My friend.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and crackberry_geek like this.
    01-28-15 08:17 AM
    I still have mine and still use it when travelling. It's still a great device for basic functions like surfing and email. I was fortunate in that I only paid $130 for a 32GB and I certainly don't feel as bad as others who paid significantly more.

I'm hoping that the browser will still be allowed to work as I see many sites now check what device is viewing the site and gating any not on the approved list.

I do wish Blackberry would provide a future roadmap for this device or at least continue to provide maintenance updates.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 01-28-15 at 10:21 AM.
    01-28-15 08:46 AM
    I still have mine and still use it when travelling. It's still a great device for basic functions like surfing and email. I was fortunate in that I only paid $130 for a 32Gb and I certainly don't feel as bad as others who paid significantly more.

I'm hoping that the browser will still be allowed to work as I see many sites now checking what device is viewing the site and gating any not on the approved list.

I do wish Blackberry would provide a future roadmap for this device or at least continue to provide maintenance updates.
    They did, by saying it is dead and eol a while back. There is your road map.
    01-28-15 08:57 AM
    I feel for your lost! I still have mines working for games (modern combat 2 online, chess and a couple more).
    01-28-15 09:17 AM
    I'll load some movies in it before a long flight to Australia I have coming up, but that, and a horrible Web browser is all it is now. Bridge functionality going from BBOS to BB10 was horrible. If they would update the browser to the Bb10 equivalent, then I would use it more, and I have Orgami but don't like it much better. Messaging application on it is horrible too. Still waiting for my BB10 or "new phone OS" and USB to Ethernet adapter I was promised. Sadly it looks like the three ring circus in Waterloo is alive and well. They won't even bring Blend to their own abomination of a tablet. But this group of crack engineers and the company behind them is going to deliver the Internet of Things.....

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 10:17 AM
    Agreed. But it would be nice if they would consider a trade-in or porting over the BB10 browser....

I know...dead is dead.
    01-28-15 10:23 AM
    It was good while it lasted.
    01-28-15 10:30 AM
    It's odd, like someone said different strokes for different folks. I keep trying different tablets used an ipad mini retina, galaxy note 4, nexus 7 and while I do still use another tablet for gaming. I still end up using the playbook daily for (sideloaded) kindle and a few other bits and pieces. I dont know if its BB loyalty, if its that it was a bit of an underdog tablet or what but i cant quite give it up. I think one of the main things is the fact it still has one of my preferred methods for multitasking. My biggest annoyance is the boot time!
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    01-28-15 10:41 AM
    So much this.

The Playbook broken promises, endless "coming soon", and the final abandonment of users by BB did much to prompt my move away from BB devices. When the Z10 (which I had planned to buy) arrived with its woefully incomplete BB10 OS, I decided not to put myself through the same "coming soon" promises by not waiting for a finished BB10 product.

I guess it's still 2014 in Waterloo seeing as how 10.3.1 hasn't been released. It's OK though, I hear it's coming soon.

Fool me once, ...

RIP Playbook.

My 9650 managed to help me forget the folly of the STORM, and my PlayBook should have helped me to see that the Z10 wasn't a good idea. But I push through the random reboots and the horrible battery life. All believing that the PlayBook was going to get an update and that I'd have both devices working together, and that developers really were coming.

So I got fooled thrice... and some wonder why I might be a little bitter with BlackBerry.
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    01-28-15 02:44 PM
    I still have both of mine, though they are collecting dust. They sit right next to the Samsung Galaxy 4 that I received from Amazon FOR FREE.

So no more "lack of apps" complaints from me, if I cant find the app in BBW, just fire up the Galaxy and have at it.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-28-15 02:53 PM
    Mine still does a good job checking the weather :P

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 03:01 PM
    It was good while it lasted.
    I found it to be more of an abusive relationship.
    01-28-15 03:23 PM
    My PlayBook still makes a great device for accessing manuals and documentation on the road. For most of my service visits to customers I don't even take the laptop out of the bag since the PlayBook does what I need it to.

At home, with Kalemsoft installed it makes a great media streamer and Nobex makes it great for getting a few radio stations that are too far out to get clearly.

It's been a great companion device, especially going into the transaction knowing that's what it would be.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 08:06 PM
    Every now and then a post similar to this pops up in some manner or another. For a four year old tablet it is really something that everyone here still talks about it and of its demise, and then also how many of us are still using it as best we can. I too have 3 serving a variety of needs.
    01-28-15 08:32 PM
    I want to use mine but I really don't have a use f
    or it anymore. I bought it from Sprint for 500. 16 gig. It's way too slow. And just because it works doesn't mean it's good.
    01-28-15 08:33 PM
    Have one but I never use it. Z30 is so much better and it's my phone too!

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 09:28 PM
    Just figured out video chat from z10 to PlayBook, worked great but PlayBook apps such the big picture one just got my dad a galaxy 4 tab and wow apps are nice too bad BlackBerry just made a newer version would have bought one by now but not now ha ha

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 11:33 PM
60 123