The following Canadian Press article was posted on CBC News (December 12, 2013)m. I couldn't help but think that this could be good news for the Z30 and the rumored Q30. Bigger screens appear to be gaining momentum. Hope BlackBerry can catch the wave on this development.

"An oversized smartphone that could appeal to consumers who do less talking and more video watching is expected to outsell tablets and gaming consoles worldwide in 2014.

The so-called "phablet" ? part tablet and part smartphone with an average screen size of five inches ? will represent one quarter of all smartphones sales next year, Deloitte Canada predicts.

"People are either talking less and willing to buy bigger phones, or they buy bigger phones and start talking less," said Deloitte analyst Duncan Stewart, who compiles an annual list of tech trends.

Stewart said that smartphone users don't watch a lot of video or play higher end games because of the smaller screen, but they tend to change their habits once they have a bigger screen. That's the appeal of the phablet, he said.

"All of a sudden the video experience is transformed, the gaming experience is transformed," he said from Toronto.

Some examples of phablets include the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Sony's Xperia Z Ultra.

Apple's iPhone 5 now offers consumers a four-inch screen,while a number of smartphones have smaller, 3.5-inch screen displays.

As part of its 2014 tech predictions, Deloitte Canada said 300 million phablets will be sold globally in 2014 at an average price of $415 for total sales approaching $125 billion. In Canada, phablets are expected to make up 10 to 15 per cent of smartphone sales next year.

They represented just two per cent of smartphones sold in 2012. Figures for this year are still being compiled.

In 2014, global sales of tablets are expected to be $100 billion, while sales of gaming consoles are forecast at $10 billion.

Could appeal to seniors

Phablets are considered smartphones because they make phone calls. Even though the device is bigger to hold up to one's ear, consumers can use earpieces or also choose to carry a smaller phone to put into a pants�pocket for calls, said Stewart, director of research at Deloitte.

Stewart also said phablets could appeal to seniors because of their larger screen size and increase their use of smartphones. Only about 40 per cent of seniors now use smartphones, he said.

As for Stewart's predictions from 2013, he said he was correct in predicting that more than 80 per cent of internet traffic would continue to be generated from personal computers, both laptops and desktop models.

He also said he accurately predicted that fewer than one per cent of Canadians would cut the cord and discontinue their traditional TV service in 2013.

Although the number of Canadians subscribing to cable, Internet Protocol television or satellite TV has declined so far in 2013, the drop is just over 10,000 households, Stewart said. There are 11.8 million TV subscribers in Canada.

Deloitte Canada will release the rest of its predictions for 2014 in January."

From CBC News, Canadian Press December 12, 2013
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-12-13 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added quote code.
    12-12-13 12:12 PM
    What is a Z30?
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-12-13 12:30 PM
    I don't consider the Z30 a phablet. It's the same size as the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 and many other smartphones, which are clearly not considered phablets. So this is average/mildly bad news for the Z30. It's really bad news for the Z10 and Q10, though, which have really small displays.

If you look at companies like Nokia, many don't even produce 5" flagships anymore. Nokia went straight from a 4.5" flagship Lumia 920 to a 6" Lumia 1520 and now the Nokia lineup doesn't offer a 4.7" - 5" device with the latest processor, a Snapdragon 800. 4.7" is being reserved for its lower end, developing market smartphones. You see the same trend for Sony in terms of marketing.

The entire "phablet" moniker is actually pretty outdated and dying. 6" is the new average and 5" is an undersized/mid-end smartphone. I never even considered the Galaxy S series to be Samsung's "flagship" device since the Note series came out. The Note series is generally just a more feature rich, better version of the S series.

The Z30 is in a mid-end smartphone size and it has the innards to match. Blackberry needs to move faster.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-12-13 at 12:58 PM.
    12-12-13 12:42 PM
    Maybe but it's on the small side for a phablet these days.
    JeepBB and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-12-13 12:43 PM
    BlackBerry has launched a device in the Z30 that can easily compete in the predicted "phablet" shift in 2014. Why not tout this fab phablet to capture a share of this market which is supposed to only get larger in 2014? There are ample options available for the Crackberry addicts desiring a more "purest" BlackBerry experience. We need to get the word out not only to the loyal legions but to those for whom BlackBerry may still appear as only a distant option.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:44 PM
    I wouldn't consider the z30 in the phablet class. But this is debatable as their is no defined cut off for phablets.

But, it is already the same size as a galaxy s4 which is a mainstream phone not something 'on the rise'.
    12-12-13 12:47 PM
    If the Z30 is too small to be a true phablet it is a least big enough to get a toe in the door while something larger is brought to market. Just looking at how to get the BlackBerry word out to the masses. Ok, my zealot moment has passed. Go BlackBerry Go!

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:48 PM
    BlackBerry has yet to produce a touch screen phone that anyone would call a success.

The fact that the Z30 is not on 3 of the 4 major carriers here in the USA this Holiday season most likely will mean it will suffer from poor sales here in the States.

Perhaps the Z50 will be the point where folks can point and say finally BlackBerry nailed it and the buying public agreed.
    Admorris likes this.
    12-12-13 12:49 PM
    Agree with you on the Z50. Too bad it's not making its debut this holiday shopping season.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 12:54 PM
    My friends all love my phone, most are iPhone users. I think apples next phone will be 5"

Sent from my Z30
    techvisor likes this.
    12-12-13 01:32 PM
    BlackBerry has yet to produce a touch screen phone that anyone would call a success.

The fact that the Z30 is not on 3 of the 4 major carriers here in the USA this Holiday season most likely will mean it will suffer from poor sales here in the States.

Perhaps the Z50 will be the point where folks can point and say finally BlackBerry nailed it and the buying public agreed.
    The torch sold quite a few million units

Sent from my Z30
    12-12-13 01:33 PM
    I argued with another Crackberry member that the z30 was a phablet even though I currently use an S4 and the Z30 is only slightly bigger (dimension-wise). In hindsight I was clearly wrong. It doesn't make sense to classify the z30 as a phablet when other flagships have the same screen size or larger (LG G2) and aren't considered Phablets.
    12-12-13 01:59 PM
    @Playbookster, forsure Apple is coming out with a bigger screen iphone 6 next year. They say it ll be between 4.8 - 5' inch. Most likely 5' inch makes sense to compete with Samsung's S4 lineup
    12-12-13 02:04 PM
    I don't consider the Z30 a phablet. It's the same size as the Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 and many other smartphones, which are clearly not considered phablets. So this is average/mildly bad news for the Z30. It's really bad news for the Z10 and Q10, though, which have really small displays.

If you look at companies like Nokia, many don't even produce 5" flagships anymore. Nokia went straight from a 4.5" flagship Lumia 920 to a 6" Lumia 1520 and now the Nokia lineup doesn't offer a 4.7" - 5" device with the latest processor, a Snapdragon 800. 4.7" is being reserved for its lower end, developing market smartphones. You see the same trend for Sony in terms of marketing.

The entire "phablet" moniker is actually pretty outdated and dying. 6" is the new average and 5" is an undersized/mid-end smartphone. I never even considered the Galaxy S series to be Samsung's "flagship" device since the Note series came out. The Note series is generally just a more feature rich, better version of the S series.

The Z30 is in a mid-end smartphone size and it has the innards to match. Blackberry needs to move faster.
    New analyst or tech blogger? Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 04:26 PM
    Z30 isn't a phablet

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:44 PM
    Probably need a Z50 with a 5.5" 1080 screen and latest specs with competitive pricing. And releasing it a year from now would at today's prices is not what I'm talking about.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 07:36 AM
    It's indifferent given that the z30 has limited release and about $1.50 spend on promotional activity.
    JeepBB, lnichols and aniym like this.
    12-13-13 07:45 AM
    It's indifferent given that the z30 has limited release and about $1.50 spend on promotional activity.
    Yeah shocking that the iPhone and GS4 and Lumia are outselling the Z30 since I see commercials for those devices touting what they can do all the time and can go to the store and actually buy one of them. I haven't seen a single Z30 ad and only one carrier in the US has it. Hopefully we'll get some explanations from Mr. Chen on the 20th about WTF this company thinks it can not advertise devices and sell them.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, cgk, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    12-13-13 08:33 AM
    I fail to see how a 5" device with a 720P screen is a phablet when Sony, Samsung, LG and the rest have already have 5" 1080P devices as their mainstream offerings. 5" may have been a phablet in 2010 when the Dell Streak dwarfed the Galaxy S and iPhone 4 in size.

But today, we have :
    - Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inch)
    - Nokia Lumia 1520 (6 inch)
    - HTC One Max (5.9 inch)
    - Sony Xperia Z Ultra (6.4 inch)
    - Galaxy Mega 6.3 (6.3 Inch)
    - Huawei Ascend Mate (6.1 inch)
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-13-13 10:56 AM
    The phablet moniker has more to do with a phone's ability than just it's size. The Note line of phones are the only true phablets right now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using CB Forums mobile app
    12-14-13 03:41 PM
    Z30 to me doesn't count. Not when Nokia is launching that six inch 1520, Sony has the Z Ultra and Samsung has its Mega!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:47 PM
    Yeah but you guys are also missing an important point that can be gleaned from this article: for every "trend", there will be ample humans who hate the trend, and would like to stand out from the crowd. (it's a fundamental irony of consumerism - I become an individual via my product choices. But nonetheless)
    BlackBerry has to start finding and even creating a niche for themselves. I think copying what's working for other manufacturers is a red herring.
    I personally love the size and feel of the Q10, and I think I like the Bold's size even more. I had a Samsung Juke back in the day. That phone is like a roll of quarters.
    Imagine a small screen (2.8 inches?) with the highest PPI that's even possible currently. Imagine how crazy awesome that would look - and look different than a myriad of copycats!

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:22 PM
    I've never been interested in a "phablet" until I saw the lumia 1520, that's probably going to be my next device. BlackBerry could offer something truly different in this arena, but we have no reason to believe they're going to or even close to it.
    12-15-13 02:20 PM
    I've never been interested in a "phablet" until I saw the lumia 1520, that's probably going to be my next device. BlackBerry could offer something truly different in this arena, but we have no reason to believe they're going to or even close to it.
    That's funny that was the one that got me as well. The ultra is great as well. The reason I didn't bother though was that the keyboard isn't as well thought out as the BlackBerry 10 Keyboard. No joke that's the only thing.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:16 PM