12-06-13 08:09 PM
52 123
tools
    Just to be sure everybody gets the point and don't stop to "Fixmo ain't no BES" ...
    Not sure of your point. This is a totally separate event where Fixmo had something that BB needed.
    12-04-13 08:48 AM
    Not sure of your point. This is a totally separate event where Fixmo had something that BB needed.
    Nope, Fixmo needed the BB10 APIs that others don't have. Basically it means any BB10<>Fixmo relation is $ for BlackBerry. More, it can collaborate with BES10 ...
    [will check facts to be 100% sure]

edit: make it 99%

Fixmo, a leading provider of mobile security and risk management solutions, and BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) today announced plans to bring the Fixmo Sentinel device integrity verification and tamper detection solution to the BlackBerry 10 platform.
    and, in fact, nothing really new here

Through a collaborative development project, Fixmo and BlackBerry are working to ensure that Fixmo Sentinel for BlackBerry 10 meets the evolving DoD STIG and Security Requirements Guide (SRG) specifications for mobile device management developed by the U.S. Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA). The development project builds on the existing relationship between the two companies that began in 2009 as a collaborative effort to bring the NSA-developed AutoBerry technology to BlackBerry 7 smartphones across the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD).
    kbz1960 and damien kupuku like this.
    12-04-13 10:03 AM
    Fixmo brought the integrity services to BB10 just like they did other devices. Those tools were developed by the NSA for use on BlackBerry devices. Fixmo won/purchased/pursued exclusive rights to be able to further develop the tools for use on BlackBerry and other platforms. The tool was formerly called Autoberry and has been around for many years.
    Superfly_FR and semperfi45 like this.
    12-04-13 10:14 AM
    Fixmo brought the integrity services to BB10 just like they did other devices. Those tools were developed by the NSA for use on BlackBerry devices. Fixmo won/purchased/pursued exclusive rights to be able to further develop the tools for use on BlackBerry and other platforms. The tool was formerly called Autoberry and has been around for many years.
    Dude, how can you do that with so few words ?
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-04-13 10:17 AM
    This is a good website to separate fact from fiction.

DISA | DoD Mobility Program
    For what it is worth, this policy is actually a good thing. I think they are going about it very poorly, but they have the right idea.
    12-04-13 02:30 PM
    Being the device your employer forces you to carry has not been good for them in the past.
    ibpluto likes this.
    12-04-13 02:44 PM
    Being the device your employer forces you to carry has not been good for them in the past.
    Being the device that had all features locked down (in DoD especially) did not work out for them. They went way overboard with the IT policies on legacy devices. It is much better on BB10.
    12-04-13 02:46 PM
    Also Superfly_FR, Fixmo is made up of former BlackBerry people.
    (Group of software engineers left BlackBerry and created Fixmo)
    You beat me to it.

I didn't realize they were former Blackberry employees, but I did know that they were a longtime Blackberry app developer (remember "Fixmo Tools"?) which over the last year or two moved their line of business in this MDM direction.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-04-13 03:39 PM
    I work for the Department of Veterans Affairs and they still use BB's. We contract through AT&T and were given shiny new 9900's. Can't complain.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-04-13 07:20 PM
    The whole multi vendor thing seems stupid to me. I understand that not relying on one company is a good thing but to go to a multiple company solution you have to spend more money to maintain everything and to set it up and then because you use multiple solutions you have a higher chance of there being some security hole. Twice the software, twice the chance of a vulnerability showing up. Just doesn't seem good in any way other than not relying on a single company.

EDIT: Not to mention I am pretty sure BES doesn't care if BB servers do something funky.
    12-04-13 09:15 PM
    The whole multi vendor thing seems stupid to me. I understand that not relying on one company is a good thing but to go to a multiple company solution you have to spend more money to maintain everything and to set it up and then because you use multiple solutions you have a higher chance of there being some security hole. Twice the software, twice the chance of a vulnerability showing up. Just doesn't seem good in any way other than not relying on a single company.

EDIT: Not to mention I am pretty sure BES doesn't care if BB servers do something funky.
    IMHO, That's for failover/catastrophy scenario.
    12-05-13 06:51 AM
    was it in the past reliant on one vendor though? for Legacy BB devices only BES could be use and would not support iOS or Android like BES10 so they were reliant on other vendors to support their non BB devices. while i agree its not always the best thing to rely on one vendor, especially in a situation that the DoD is in when it comes to national security, i don't see it being all lop sided on one vendor for all its MDM securities

GOOD was the only other approved vendor, and was used by a VERY small portion of the mobile workforce. Single digit percentage. The ONLY other device that was supported (until recently) and approved was Windows Mobile 6.x devices. You can see why BB had the VAST majority of the devices.
    12-05-13 07:40 AM

BES DOES care if the NOC goes down. All data is routed through the NOC. Without the NOC you get NOTHING on BES devices. And have you seen the DoD budget? Money isnt anything they are really lacking (the Fixmo solution they spent $16,000,000 on.) Higher cost isnt necessarily a bad thing if it increases operational readiness.
    m1a1mg and LP_Rigg like this.
    12-05-13 07:42 AM
    Also, I dont know which service members were told their device would stop working, but the Army did have a MASSIVE number of unauthorized devices on it's network (that it did not know about).
    Hmmm.... sounds like there was increased response in the post-Snowden cleanup - or maybe this is too soon for that. Whatever, the shutdown of unauthorized devices is probably as routine as the shutdown of a private WiFi access point found under someone's desk although on a rather larger scale.
    12-05-13 08:54 AM
    iThings are simply to become useless. My favourite from this article.
    12-05-13 10:20 AM
    Hmmm.... sounds like there was increased response in the post-Snowden cleanup - or maybe this is too soon for that. Whatever, the shutdown of unauthorized devices is probably as routine as the shutdown of a private WiFi access point found under someone's desk although on a rather larger scale.
    Rogue APs should automatically be shut down when attempting to connect (that and 802.1X for all switches, etc should be in place). I know the Army was told about the devices, but I do not know if they have taken action yet (one would hope they have)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-05-13 10:28 AM
    BES DOES care if the NOC goes down. All data is routed through the NOC. Without the NOC you get NOTHING on BES devices.

The thing about relying on a single vendor is certainly an issue if something happens with that vendor.

On the other hand, if the vendor in question is basically routing all of your critical mobile traffic through their own network infrastructure, if something happens to that company it is a major disaster.

It's not like you just bought a few handsets from some company and you might not get any upgraded versions next year or something. If their network goes down, all your mobile data goes down.
    Sith_Apprentice and m1a1mg like this.
    12-05-13 02:16 PM
    Rogue APs should automatically be shut down when attempting to connect (that and 802.1X for all switches, etc should be in place). I know the Army was told about the devices, but I do not know if they have taken action yet (one would hope they have)

Based on some things I read about the situation where Bradley Manning was working, I'd say the Army's I.T. management is a disaster and their users are out of control.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-05-13 02:18 PM
    Based on some things I read about the situation where Bradley Manning was working, I'd say the Army's I.T. management is a disaster and their users are out of control.
    It isnt very difficult to control this, any MDM solution would be able to prevent this, also blocking ActiveSync connections from the outside. The issue is that the individual commands ARENT doing this. Rank DOES have its priviledges as the saying going.
    12-05-13 02:51 PM
    The thing about relying on a single vendor is certainly an issue if something happens with that vendor.

On the other hand, if the vendor in question is basically routing all of your critical mobile traffic through their own network infrastructure, if something happens to that company it is a major disaster.

It's not like you just bought a few handsets from some company and you might not get any upgraded versions next year or something. If their network goes down, all your mobile data goes down.
    Yes indeed. While it is a huge plus for security, it is a huge minus for reliability. three nines, four nines, just dont cut it. You need five or more. (99.9% is almost 9 hours of downtime a year). When you are talking mission critical, or even potentially life safety issues, that is no where near good enough.
    12-05-13 02:54 PM
    I thought the purpose of BES10 was to make BlackBerry, iOS and android phones equally secure tied to the same BES10 infrastructure.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-05-13 02:54 PM
    It isnt very difficult to control this, any MDM solution would be able to prevent this, also blocking ActiveSync connections from the outside. The issue is that the individual commands ARENT doing this. Rank DOES have its priviledges as the saying going.
    I don't think MDM would have changed any of the Manning issue. A lot of that was an individual command issue. Further, the Bradley Manning situation brought forth a great deal of change in Army IT.

But we still do a lot of stupid sh**. I've seen things that would make your hair curl, and it's always the guys with rank.
    12-05-13 02:59 PM
    I don't think MDM would have changed any of the Manning issue. A lot of that was an individual command issue. Further, the Bradley Manning situation brought forth a great deal of change in Army IT.

But we still do a lot of stupid sh**. I've seen things that would make your hair curl, and it's always the guys with rank.
    Oh no I wasn't clear. I meant the lack of device control would have been solved with any decent MDM

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 05:50 PM

What I'm talking about are passwords on post-it notes on monitors, people bringing-in/downloading pirated software/music and storing it/playing it from military networked storage, being able to bring in either writable optical media or USB keys, copy data to them and take them away with you, etc etc.

Clearly the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Either that or they didn't care.
    12-05-13 07:20 PM
    What I'm talking about are passwords on post-it notes on monitors, people bringing-in/downloading pirated software/music and storing it/playing it from military networked storage, being able to bring in either writable optical media or USB keys, copy data to them and take them away with you, etc etc.

Clearly the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Either that or they didn't care.
    It's still a local unit issue primarily. Everyone in that SCIF should have been, and most were, hammered. Bradley Manning was a leadership issue.

Also, sometimes, in order to keep people alive, you bend the rules. Smart people fix the problem after, but it does happen. I've seen any number of USB drives with classified data on them. And I've smashed many in tiny little pieces.

But not everyone in a combat zone has a network. Sometimes you have to make new local rules that allow the mission to be accomplished. Heck, when DoD outlawed thumb drives, the cost of re-writeables in theater went through the roof.
    12-05-13 10:39 PM
52 123