12-06-13 07:09 PM
52 123
tools
    Pentagon Forcing Many Workers Back to BlackBerry
    Some military members who were working off Apple and Android-based smartphones and tablets now must return to using older model BlackBerrys because of a security service switchover, according to an email obtained byNextgovand confirmed by Pentagon officials.

The Defense Department is building a new mobile device management system to monitor government-issued consumer smartphones on military networks, but it's not yet ready for prime time.

Employees within at least one Army organization were forced to disconnect iPhones, iPads and Android devices from their existing security service, Good Mobile Messaging, because the Pentagon is deploying a new departmentwide system by Fixmo, states an email that appeared in an Army listserve.

Army personnel "have been told that between now and whenever this 'fixmo' is online, their Droids and iThings are simply to become useless," the email said. The Defense Information Systems Agency is in the midst of transitioning smartphone users in each military component to the full $16 million system.

For the full exclusive article, visit: Pentagon Disconnects iPhone, Android Security Service, Forcing a Return to BlackBerry for Some - Nextgov.com

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-03-13 10:58 AM
    Forcing them to "old" bb's. So when fixmo is in place they will not be supporting "old" or new bb's?
    12-03-13 11:03 AM
    The Fixmo solution is built for Android and iOS management, and is replacing GOOD. There have been a few... issues... with the system (contracting issues being one of them), so until then the users will go back to BlackBerry devices that have previously been purchased. DISA also is running BES10 right now, and they are deploying BB10 devices. The entire purpose is to NOT be reliant on one vendor anymore.
    howarmat, ofutur, m1a1mg and 7 others like this.
    12-03-13 11:08 AM
    Every article I have seen about the Pentagon and which devices it can use is always slanted toward the idea that they are dropping BlackBerry soon. Not once have I seen an article that states that they are using BES10 and BB10 devices. Very biased reporting it seems. Funny, no report on CNBC about how GOOD is being dropped by the Pentagon. I thought it was the BlackBerry killer. Lol.

But I get it. It makes total sense for them to have multiple options for managing devices, it would be stupid not to. Any company could go down at pretty much any time. I would hope the government is prepared.
    12-03-13 11:38 AM
    The Fixmo solution is built for Android and iOS management, and is replacing GOOD. There have been a few... issues... with the system (contracting issues being one of them), so until then the users will go back to BlackBerry devices that have previously been purchased. DISA also is running BES10 right now, and they are deploying BB10 devices. The entire purpose is to NOT be reliant on one vendor anymore.
    was it in the past reliant on one vendor though? for Legacy BB devices only BES could be use and would not support iOS or Android like BES10 so they were reliant on other vendors to support their non BB devices. while i agree its not always the best thing to rely on one vendor, especially in a situation that the DoD is in when it comes to national security, i don't see it being all lop sided on one vendor for all its MDM securities
    12-03-13 11:55 AM
    Every article I have seen about the Pentagon and which devices it can use is always slanted toward the idea that they are dropping BlackBerry soon. Not once have I seen an article that states that they are using BES10 and BB10 devices. Very biased reporting it seems. Funny, no report on CNBC about how GOOD is being dropped by the Pentagon. I thought it was the BlackBerry killer. Lol.

But I get it. It makes total sense for them to have multiple options for managing devices, it would be stupid not to. Any company could go down at pretty much any time. I would hope the government is prepared.
    Good is not being "dropped". Fixmo won the new contract. That simple.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-03-13 12:03 PM
    This is a good website to separate fact from fiction.

DISA | DoD Mobility Program
    12-03-13 12:05 PM
    It is difficult to "drop" a product that is hardly being used. GOOD accounted for a very miniscule percentage of the MDM solution used within DoD. Fixmo will account for the majority, but BES10/BB10 will still be used. BES10 is set up as an enterprise solution currently at DISA, though adoption has just started.
    12-03-13 12:37 PM
    So are they saying BES isn't good enough for managing other devices? Otherwise why do they need anything other than BES?
    12-03-13 12:48 PM
    So are they saying BES isn't good enough for managing other devices? Otherwise why do they need anything other than BES?
    This

The entire purpose is to NOT be reliant on one vendor
    kbz1960 and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-03-13 12:56 PM
    KBZ,
    If the NOC goes down DoD loses EVERYTHING at once. They cannot afford to have that happen again.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-13 01:00 PM
    It is difficult to "drop" a product that is hardly being used. GOOD accounted for a very miniscule percentage of the MDM solution used within DoD. Fixmo will account for the majority, but BES10/BB10 will still be used. BES10 is set up as an enterprise solution currently at DISA, though adoption has just started.
    I was tracking that it would be stood up 1 Jan? Is this not right?
    12-03-13 01:03 PM
    KBZ,
    If the NOC goes down DoD loses EVERYTHING at once. They cannot afford to have that happen again.
    Thanks, Matt too. I can see that being an issue. I thought when the NOC has gone down it didn't effect BES users as they have their own?
    12-03-13 01:05 PM
    I was tracking that it would be stood up 1 Jan? Is this not right?
    That is the goal

Meanwhile BES10 is up and ready, and branches/agencies are being briefed on the BES10 enterprise solution. Also the devices are no cost, plus the management is *similar* to existing BES5 installations. This should have been a slam dunk for BB, unfortunately it was not so.
    12-03-13 01:06 PM
    Thanks, Matt too. I can see that being an issue. I thought when the NOC has gone down it didn't effect BES users as they have their own?
    Everything goes through the NOC, and BES10 uses the NOC as well. For what it is worth, GOOD also uses a NOC infrastructure.
    kbz1960, Superfly_FR and BBPandy like this.
    12-03-13 01:07 PM
    You are trying too hard my friend. LoL

From my Z30 via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    12-03-13 01:13 PM
    Also, I dont know which service members were told their device would stop working, but the Army did have a MASSIVE number of unauthorized devices on it's network (that it did not know about).
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-03-13 01:15 PM
    You are trying too hard my friend. LoL

From my Z30 via CB10
    Not this time. Valid question. As far as I know they only use one management system. I've been corrected
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-03-13 01:24 PM
    Also, I dont know which service members were told their device would stop working, but the Army did have a MASSIVE number of unauthorized devices on it's network (that it did not know about).
    Oh yes they did. But try to tell a 2-4 star that they can't put their tablet on the network.
    12-03-13 02:02 PM
    Yeah ok, sounds the same to me. They are no longer going to use them, and they were using them in a small way before, is what I was saying. so don't see a big difference.
    12-03-13 03:06 PM
    I always wondered if the "Blackberry security argument" is an inverted one. Government organization are really paranoid, not only by data leakage but even more against their own personnel. So they need a device that can log everything without the possibility to circumvent it. Blackberry could be a perfect tool for this. You know that you cannot even operate the device by entering your Blackberry ID which already a great step to full traceability.

Our politicians are lap dogs for the real elite who really wants to micromanage the world including the politicians so Blackberry could be their leach.
    12-03-13 05:25 PM
    Yeah ok, sounds the same to me. They are no longer going to use them, and they were using them in a small way before, is what I was saying. so don't see a big difference.
    Just to be sure everybody gets the point and don't stop to "Fixmo ain't no BES" ...
    Fixmo and BlackBerry Partner to Bring Sentinel Device Integrity and Tamper Detection Solution to BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    Fixmo and BlackBerry Partner to Bring Sentinel Device Integrity and Tamper Detection Solution to BlackBerry 10 | Fixmo Inc.
    12-04-13 03:19 AM
    I always wondered if the "Blackberry security argument" is an inverted one. Government organization are really paranoid, not only by data leakage but even more against their own personnel. So they need a device that can log everything without the possibility to circumvent it. Blackberry could be a perfect tool for this. You know that you cannot even operate the device by entering your Blackberry ID which already a great step to full traceability.

Our politicians are lap dogs for the real elite who really wants to micromanage the world including the politicians so Blackberry could be their leach.
    I think you have a point.
    According to DISA approval documents, only BlackBerry phones and Playbook tablets have an "authority to operate," or ATO, on Defense networks -- not Android, Apple or any other device lines.
    Yet despite this issue, the military is required to pursue other venders. I can see the prudence of making sure you have something to fall back on if something were to happen to BlackBerry, however I don't think they should be using other devices until they have figured out how to fully secure them & have certified the devices as having the "authority to operate"

I'm sure China is a big fan of the "get cool new phones today & then figure out how to secure them tomorrow" policy being used by some US government officials / agencies.
    12-04-13 04:38 AM
    Also Superfly_FR, Fixmo is made up of former BlackBerry people.
    (Group of software engineers left BlackBerry and created Fixmo)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-04-13 04:41 AM
    For a second I thought the 'play starcraft?' was part of this article. I'm not a morning person.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 06:18 AM
52 123